Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Oh carbon fibre isn't normally used. And in destructive tests of earlier prototypes, they saw delamination and voids.

Isn't is as well that at that pressure, even the smallest defect can cause an implosion?

There was some mythbusters video a while back where they tried to implode an empty oil carraige on a train.

It didn't work until after they dropped something heavy on it which put a small dent in it.

Then, sure enough it flattened.
    Well yes. The point is that carbon fibre is probably a suitable material, but you need to get it right. The issues they are facing are similar to those in aerospace, only much more technically demanding in some ways. I know the lengths that aerostruxture manufacturers go to in order to replace an aluminium or titanium structure with a lighted composite one with the same envelope, and my take is that this Co pan didn't want any of that sort of hassle.
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 2023

OceanGate website is down and I suspect they won't be selling any more trips.

There is no concept of corporate manslaughter in the US, so I'd imagine a legal case would need to find a way to sue some of the people personally.

One of the founders is on record saying certification stifles innovation. Not sure if that is the guy thst died, but I have no doubt the lawyers will be picking over hubristic social media posts fairly soon.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Oh carbon fibre isn't normally used. And in destructive tests of earlier prototypes, they saw delamination and voids.

Isn't is as well that at that pressure, even the smallest defect can cause an implosion?

There was some mythbusters video a while back where they tried to implode an empty oil carraige on a train.

It didn't work until after they dropped something heavy on it which put a small dent in it.

Pretty much. The water pressure at that depth is around 6,000 lbs per square inch (about 2.7 tons per square inch) so any damage or flaw in the pressure vessel and it implodes very quickly.

Suppose the only upside of this is it was probably all over for them before they knew what was happening - the idea being trapped in a small can waiting for the air to run out is a very unpleasant thought.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Well yes. The point is that carbon fibre is probably a suitable material, but you need to get it right. The issues they are facing are similar to those in aerospace, only much more technically demanding in some ways. I know the lengths that aerostruxture manufacturers go to in order to replace an aluminium or titanium structure with a lighted composite one with the same envelope, and my take is that this Co pan didn't want any of that sort of hassle.
    Totally ignorant here - I thought CF was much better in tension than in compression?
  • First.Aspect

Totally ignorant here - I thought CF was much better in tension than in compression?
    It is, but is fairly strong per se. If its used for the skin though there will be both.

I am not a structural engineer, and I'm sure more will come out.

It is probably a bit mawkish to be this interested.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Pretty much. The water pressure at that depth is around 6,000 lbs per square inch (about 2.7 tons per square inch) so any damage or flaw in the pressure vessel and it implodes very quickly.

Suppose the only upside of this is it was probably all over for them before they knew what was happening - the idea being trapped in a small can waiting for the air to run out is a very unpleasant thought.
    Yup.

Water pressure goes up about 1 atm every 10m depth. So they were under about 300 atm pressure when it imploded.

If you think about it, even going into space only requires you to worry about a 1 atm difference.

There's a reason most of the ultra deep subs are 1 or 2 man and spherical, rather than cylindrical.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Yup.

Water pressure goes up about 1 atm every 10m depth. So they were under about 300 atm pressure when it imploded.

If you think about it, even going into space only requires you to worry about a 1 atm difference.

There's a reason most of the ultra deep subs are 1 or 2 man and spherical, rather than cylindrical.
    True. Material and shape were both potential factors.

I'm no expert but from what I understand, titanium spheres are the the best option for manned deep sea exploration vehicles.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    There's also an indication that whatever was made out of titanium was showing fatigue as early as 2020.

It is going to become a marine architect university course case study in what not to do.
  • Stevo_666

There's also an indication that whatever was made out of titanium was showing fatigue as early as 2020.

It is going to become a marine architect university course case study in what not to do.

That I didn't know. In any event I'm sure there will be a lot of effort going into determining the exact cause of failure.
  • rick_chasey
    How do you know you're in an upmarket but overpriced restaurant?

They have at least two seafood dishes served with chorizo.

Come on guys, it's the posh version of the ham-hock terrine starter. it's been done literally hundreds of times. Move on.
  • First.Aspect
    Chorizo is lovely but for me it's about the same as adding a packet of spice mix. Sure it's probably going to taste nice, but that's nothing to with the chef using it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

What could I charge for trips to go see the sub?

There's a certain irony
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Pross said:

There's a certain irony
    I thought it was titanium and carbon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

There's a certain irony
    It's steel too soon...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

There's a certain irony
    It's steel too soon...
    That was sub standard even for cakestoppers.
  • pangolin
    Swimming, and one of the other swimmers who has been having a break at the end of the lane waits until you are juuust about to arrive before setting off with a glacial breast stoke.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    pangolin said:

Swimming, and one of the other swimmers who has been having a break at the end of the lane waits until you are juuust about to arrive before setting off with a glacial breast stoke.

Oh, there are too many annoying habits in lane swimming.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

There's a certain irony
    It's steel too soon...
    That was sub standard even for cakestoppers.
    Yes, you're sinking to new depths.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

There are. I'll add a couple more.

Narrow lanes
    Having to prebook which speed lane you are going to use
    People clearly booking the wrong one
    People failing to follow a simple one way arrow

The other day someone (repeatedly) stood up with about a third of a length left and walked slowly to the end. Completely oblivious to people swimming behind them. At other times they did several lengths without stopping so I don't think it was a case of not being able to make it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    What about the people creating tidal waves for those doing glacial breaststroke?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    F’in pool swimming.
    Nothing but annoyances.
    Takes weeks to work out the best times to go to avoid all this stuff.

I ended up in the fast lane this week. Not because I identify as a fast swimmer but two lanes of breaststrokers doing 3 minute lengths had taken slow and medium lanes.

Fortunately, all of us in the fast lane were similar speed (real world medium). Had a genuine fast swimmer turned up it would all have gone pear shaped.

Used to swim in Hereford while working away, they just put a massive lane in the middle of the pool for pretty much everybody to just work out.
  • First.Aspect

pangolin said:

Wild swimming is more annoying.

Tits in a trance. Ignore boat traffic because a black swimming cap is visible. Under no circumstances avoid imitating Brownian motion. Don't worry, nesting birds are sociable.
  • First.Aspect
    Ooh but I am communing with nature.

No, you aren't.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Ooh but I am communing with nature.

No, you aren't.

More at one with sewage these days.
  • rick_chasey
    Two well past it headliners are way too much. Maybe, maaaybe one on a Sunday night.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Two well past it headliners are way too much. Maybe, maaaybe one on a Sunday night.

If they keep recruiting from this demographic it can only be a matter of time before one of them snuffs it on stage.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    There is a BIG crowd there watching Reg.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    mrb123 said:

If they keep recruiting from this demographic it can only be a matter of time before one of them snuffs it on stage.

G ‘n R did that the other day didn’t they?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    They normally try to have at least one headliner who's actually in their prime. This year two can't really sing their own songs any more.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Prince William the virtue signalling tvvat will soon be as bad as his brother. He literally owns hundreds (maybe thousands) of properties and hundreds of thousands of acres and with immunity to planning rules he is literally one of the few people in the country who can make a difference to homelessness.

Yet he diverts £3m in one of his foundations and everybody treats him as a hero