Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    pinno said:

wavefront said:

Petrol caps on differing sides of different cars. I always forget which side it’s on when I pull into refuel. Always a pain. Always annoying. And very trivial.

There's an arrow on the fuel gauge for that.
    No - my arrow points left (n/s) when it's empty and the cap is on the right (o/s).
    The porker arrow points int he right direction though.

Interestingly, they are both made in Germany.
    Mine have all been painted/etched arrows, not something that turns on. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

wavefront said:

Petrol caps on differing sides of different cars. I always forget which side it’s on when I pull into refuel. Always a pain. Always annoying. And very trivial.

No - my arrow points left (n/s) when it's empty and the cap is on the right (o/s).

Wtf are you lot talking about?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

wavefront said:

Wtf are you lot talking about?

• pinno
    Oh yeah!

The Porker is too old:

Now I am searching images of instrument clusters from previous vehicles that I have owned.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    First day back in the office.

I **knew** it was too ambitious to arrange a meeting on the basis the trains would run on time.

Sure enough, train cancelled 🙄🙄🙄
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

wavefront said:

Sadly, none of the gauges on my three different cars have an arrow. Still, it’s trivial.
  • First.Aspect
    Doesn't seem to have been on any of my older ones either, based on google images.

Intriguing. Has there been an epidemic of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsrJ4Z5XUXA
  • rick_chasey
    If you're driving a small house I guess there's more jeopardy but most hoses can get around to the otherside of the car.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

If you're driving a small house I guess there's more jeopardy but most hoses can get around to the otherside of the car.

It's a trivial thing that cheers me up when people with small cars diligently queue on the side for their particular car, leaving the other side of the pump clear for those of us who realise that hoses will reach the other side of the car comfortably.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023

It's a trivial thing that cheers me up when people with small cars diligently queue on the side for their particular car, leaving the other side of the pump clear for those of us who realise that hoses will reach the other side of the car comfortably.
    I will queue for the e5 pump, as i've done the real world testing and it's cheaper to run than e10.

(I suspect because my car is so underpowered that the difference in power has a material impact on how hard I need to drive it).
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Food waste bins in this weather. Fine one day; seething with maggots the next.

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
    If I moved in I would do the same as where I live you put food waste in plastic bags in the food caddy
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
    If I moved in I would do the same as where I live you put food waste in plastic bags in the food caddy
    You're supposed to put them in biodegradable liners. You would also need to ignore the large signs.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You're supposed to put them in biodegradable liners. You would also need to ignore the large signs.
    Aren't those biodegradable liners biodegradable over such a long period that it's pretty much a misnomer?
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Aren't those biodegradable liners biodegradable over such a long period that it's pretty much a misnomer?
    No.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.
    Ah, this summarises what I was thinking of...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-biodegradable-plastic-bags-actually-biodegrade-180972074/

Depends where they end up. Anyone who has been there can pretty much confirm that Plymouth sound is anoxic.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

The pumps will reach to the other side of most cars if you park in the right place.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

The pumps will reach to the other side of most cars if you park in the right place.
    Yes they do and some petrol stations have these overhead lines so you don't bump and scratch the paintwork. Park whichever side.

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

Doesn't seem to have been on any of my older ones either, based on google images.

Intriguing. Has there been an epidemic of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsrJ4Z5XUXA

A thank you is due! I popped out in my Mini this morning and had another proper look. And there is an arrow I’ve never ever noticed - tiny, and not noticeable as the gauge is illuminated and the arrow dark. Can I transfer this to the trivial things that cheer me up please?
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-biodegradable-plastic-bags-actually-biodegrade-180972074/

Depends where they end up. Anyone who has been there can pretty much confirm that Plymouth sound is anoxic.
    That's a plastic bag not a caddy liner. As noted above, liners in closed caddies leak, because they degrade.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    The green caddy liner ones definitely turn to compost.
    I had some in a compost heap in the days before food waste collections and they seemed to decompose as quickly as all the other stuff in there.
    I suspect the council would be asking us to stop using them if they were coming out intact from whatever super composter they use for processing food waste.

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Ah yes, that relies on people a) knowing how wide their cars are and b) being able to park close to objects. Ditto for the trivial annoyance of people not being able to get close enough to toll booths to pay without opening their door (or even getting out, at worst).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

Oh yeah!

The Porker is too old:

Now I am searching images of instrument clusters from previous vehicles that I have owned.

That should have the filler on the right as the picture of the pump on the dash has the nozzle on the right. Haven't checked all cars but usually works that way.
    Our car is pretty big, can fill up from either side if you stop in the right place as Stevo says.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Just think that through.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

That's a plastic bag not a caddy liner. As noted above, liners in closed caddies leak, because they degrade.
    Double bagging seems to work when it's warm.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

For how long? How often do I need to change it?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    You can use newspaper to wrap food going in the caddy as well, if you are having issues with juice etc causing the liner to degrade before it gets collected.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Newspaper?
    I think I remember them
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

For how long? How often do I need to change it?
    Two bags in the indoor caddy. Tie up both securely and it should manage a few days in the outdoor bin before collection.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Newspaper?
    I think I remember them

It makes me realise how ahead of their time my parents were: all the stinky rubbish from the kitchen pedal bin would be emptied onto old newspapers (Daily Telegraph, natch) spread out on the kitchen floor, then would be bundled up and put into the dustbin. No plastic involved.
  • rick_chasey

Newspaper?
    I think I remember them

It makes me realise how ahead of their time my parents were: all the stinky rubbish from the kitchen pedal bin would be emptied onto old newspapers (Daily Telegraph, natch) spread out on the kitchen floor, then would be bundled up and put into the dustbin. No plastic involved.
    Paper isn't all that for decomposition.

I stumbled on a programme on bbc 4 on landfills and rubbish and because landfills are typically lacking in air, the paper doesn't really decompose.

They dug into an old landfill and pulled out a newspaper from the mid 80s; it was immaculate, save for the dirt. Could read the whole thing.