Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

Pross said:

de_sisti said:

Now, I've nothing against people supporting Man United who live nowhere near the
    Greater Manchester conurbation, but when they automatically go on to say they hate
    Man City, it's taking their faux United support too far (for the record, I was brought up in Moss Side and Cheetham Hill and still have siblings living in Manchester).

When living there, it was always possible to have banter (as a United supporter) with
    City fans (at work, in the office, pub, etc etc), especially when one team is doing better than the other, or on derby days.

However, when United fans who live far away from Greater Manchester start going
    on about their dislike for City I think it's just taking their 'association' with United too
    far and is pathetic (in my opinion).

Yes, United have always had supporters who live nowhere near the north-west, but
    other teams who have been successful in the past also have supporters who live
    no connection with that particular city/town (I'm looking at you Liverpool, Arsenal,
    Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

if these "gloryhunters" have hung in there for the last 62 years then I would be inclined to cut them some slack
    To be fair they won a couple of FA cups less than 40 years ago.

Edit - actually only one, the ones I was thinking of were over 40 years ago now!
    even so of all the sticks to hit them with "gloryhunter" seems unfair
    Yeah, I’m taking the mick out of them. My old Director was a Spurs fan and would try winding up Liverpool supporters last season about them failing to win the quadruple despite them having won more trophies in the season than Spurs managed in the previous 30 years and finishing runners up in the Premiership and Champions League. I would have loved to have seen his cockiness at the start of this season gradually erode as they choked yet again.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    de_sisti said:

Now, I've nothing against people supporting Man United who live nowhere near the
    Greater Manchester conurbation, but when they automatically go on to say they hate
    Man City, it's taking their faux United support too far (for the record, I was brought up in Moss Side and Cheetham Hill and still have siblings living in Manchester).

When living there, it was always possible to have banter (as a United supporter) with
    City fans (at work, in the office, pub, etc etc), especially when one team is doing better than the other, or on derby days.

on about their dislike for City I think it's just taking their 'association' with United too

Yes, United have always had supporters who live nowhere near the north-west, but
    other teams who have been successful in the past also have fans who live nowhere near, or have no connection with that particular city/town (I'm looking at you Liverpool, Arsenal,
    Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

As an older United fan we grew up despising Liverpool. City rivalry was just a good bit of mancunian banter especially when they were rubbish.

The world seems to be chock full of Liverpool fans who definitely don't have the accent.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

other teams who have been successful in the past also have fans who live nowhere near, or have no connection with that particular city/town (I'm looking at you Liverpool, Arsenal,
    Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

As an older United fan we grew up despising Liverpool. City rivalry was just a good bit of mancunian banter especially when they were rubbish.

The world seems to be chock full of Liverpool fans who definitely don't have the accent.
    There seems to be a lot of Man U fans who live no where near Manchester. When Chelsea played at Old Trafford, the Chelsea fans would sing 'We'll race you back to London' :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited May 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

There seems to be a lot of Man U fans who live no where near Manchester. When Chelsea played at Old Trafford, the Chelsea fans would sing 'We'll race you back to London' :smile:
    As I said above, United have always had fans who live away from the Greater Manchester area (going back decades). ;)

Talking about accents. My mancunian accent disappeared within a couple of years of me being in the RAF. Some northerners can still pick out a northern-twang from me, but my dulcet mancunian voice is definitely dormant at the moment.

As an aside, I left Manchester aged 23 and have been away from the area longer than I lived there. :(
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Hooray, Johnson's having another kid. Officially his eighth, but unofficially, god knows.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,529
    masjer said:

Hooray, Johnson's having another kid. Officially his eighth, but unofficially, god knows.

He's just added even more to his child maintenance bill when he divorces her.
  • masjer

masjer said:

A couple of his speeches and that'll be paid for in this mad world.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,529
    masjer said:

masjer said:

He'll still be touting for loans, I suspect.
  • masjer

masjer said:

masjer said:

He'll still be touting for loans, I suspect.
    The (ex) BBC chairman will sort it.
  • Stevo_666
    de_sisti said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

As I said above, United have always had fans who live away from the Greater Manchester area (going back decades). ;)

Talking about accents. My mancunian accent disappeared within a couple of years of me being in the RAF. Some northerners can still pick out a northern-twang from me, but my dulcet mancunian voice is definitely dormant at the moment.

As an aside, I left Manchester aged 23 and have been away from the area longer than I lived there. :(
    And plenty who have never lived there as far as I can see...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

Where abouts in Battersea are you from then.😉
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

Lived in South London for a long while. Escaped from the ar$e end of nowhere that you call home :smile:
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

Lived in South London for a long while. Escaped from the ar$e end of nowhere that you call home :smile:
    Funny I wasn’t aware I lived in Redcar.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

That part of the world. I think you got the point, which is why you've reverted to being a smartarse :smile:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Thing with Chelsea is if you actually live in Fulham the fans will put you off for life.
  • Stevo_666

Thing with Chelsea is if you actually live in Fulham the fans will put you off for life.

Still find it quite amusing that the stadium has been there for over 100 years and you still chose to move really close to Stamford Bridge knowing what some footy fans can be like. It's like people who buy a house near Heathrow then complain about aircraft noise.
  • rick_chasey
    Because other fans aren’t nearly as bad ✌🏻✌🏻
  • Stevo_666

I guess you haven't been to West Ham or Milwall game.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

I doubt you have either tbf.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Chelsea are shyte.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

That part of the world. I think you got the point, which is why you've reverted to being a smartarse :smile:
    Best part of 63 miles away. Sort of like you saying you live on the South coast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited May 2023

Thing with Chelsea is the fans will put you off for life.

Edited for accuracy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Chelsea are shyte.

Ironically the North London Chokers' only hope of salvaging the season is if Chelsea beat City tomorrow. Get your blue scarf out :smiley:
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

Best part of 63 miles away. Sort of like you saying you live on the South coast.
    Yorkshire is a big place. But you've just made my point above for me.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Been to a couple of West Ham games with a mate who supports them. Was fun watching them fighting with each other, never mind the opposing fans. Anyway, my point stands: you were a bit stupid to move that close to a big football stadium knowing what match days are like.
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

A point that seems only relevant to you.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

de_sisti said:

Spurs, Celtic, Rangers).

A point that seems only relevant to you.
    And?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Been to a couple of West Ham games with a mate who supports them. Was fun watching them fighting with each other, never mind the opposing fans. Anyway, my point stands: you were a bit stupid to move that close to a big football stadium knowing what match days are like.
    TBF, it wasn't Rick who built the stadium.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Chelsea are shyte.

Ironically the North London Chokers' only hope of salvaging the season is if Chelsea beat City tomorrow. Get your blue scarf out :smiley:
    Only 6 top flite wins Chelsea.
    No European footie for you next season, not even the euro vase/conference/league thingy wotsit.
    Less FA cup wins than Arsenal.
    Bottom half of the table.
    Tomorrow, City will thrash you senseless.

Chelsea are shyte.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was more the outright hostile racism to people on public transport from them which I had a problem with.

And when they cornered my wife and threatened to rape her.

But yeah, standard for football fans right?

🙄