Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

I don't, tbh. I'd like to watch more.

I am however, legendary ranked on CODMobile BR for the last 8 seasons in a row :)

One for the 'things that intrigue you' thread but WTF does that mean?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Call of Duty mobile is a multiplayer game you can play on your phone, and BR - Battle royalle, is a style of game where 100 players start on the same, increadibly large map, and last man/team standing wins.

Over-time, the map shrinks over random areas, to keep the action intense.

The game ranks you by ability in an ELO style system, and legendary is the highest rank achievable (before you get into actually top "1000" etc, but that is dominated almost exclusively by pro-egamers or wannabe pro-egamers).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Pross said:

I don't, tbh. I'd like to watch more.

I am however, legendary ranked on CODMobile BR for the last 8 seasons in a row :)

One for the 'things that intrigue you' thread but WTF does that mean?
    It's a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDHCTeyFt8
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023
    Yeah look at that 4 finger pro grip on the iPad.

If I want to get into the top 1% I’ll have to switch from my two thumb grip to that one.

I can’t compete with those guys. I won’t bore you with why.

Not sure I have the patience to relearn the grip.
  • Pross

Call of Duty mobile is a multiplayer game you can play on your phone, and BR - Battle royalle, is a style of game where 100 players start on the same, increadibly large map, and last man/team standing wins.

Over-time, the map shrinks over random areas, to keep the action intense.

The game ranks you by ability in an ELO style system, and legendary is the highest rank achievable (before you get into actually top "1000" etc, but that is dominated almost exclusively by pro-egamers or wannabe pro-egamers).

Cheers. I assumed the COD was Call of Duty having once been a regular (the bit in the stats showing up the amount of game time got quite scary) but didn't recognise of the rest. Can't imagine trying to play on my phone though.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023
    I was deeply sceptical about playing on my phone for a long time, but my mates like to play it - you can turn on mics etc so you're basically chatting to your mates and then doing some gaming on the side.

Was a godsend over the pandemic. I used to game a lot, including competitively, so those instincts kicked in when i realised how fun it was.

I struggle to keep up with the sweats once you get to the legendary level as the competition quality is unlimited. 90% of the time I team up with randomers and you just can't compete with the organised teams, especially if they're all using the 4 finger hold. That is also mildly annoying as once you get to that level you just get spanked every time you play.

The speed that that guy in the video does stuff is absolutely crazy.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    I played Warzone a fair bit during lockdowns but only on xbox - have always hated FPS on phones.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

- have always hated FPS on phones.

Yeah me too, then I tried codmobile...
  • Pross
    Surprised to see it's a free app, I assume you have to pay to unlock a lot of features and / or put up with a lot of ads?
  • rick_chasey
    Nope. All cosmetic. The only difference is the paid for guns move further out from the screen when you're sprinting so there's a tiny bit more room to see. That's it.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited January 2023
    People who ask me if I was born in this country.

* Early December, a woman from Jehovah's Witness.
    * Last Friday, a bloke with whom I've chatted to (on and off) for over 10 years. We used to work for the same organisation (at different times), whose nationality requirements for employment were once extremely strict (so he should have known better).

Lady said to me; "You speak such good English".

Bloke said; "You speak better than them others"

When I pressed him to tell me who those "others" were, he declined to give an answer

I said it is patronising when white people like him and the previously mentioned woman ask such questions. I said he was out-of-touch with a modern Britain, in the same way as Lady Susan Hussey.

He look very sheepishly at me when I said that to him.

These two people are from a generation where they didn't mix with people of colour, let alone have friends who have a different skin colour to them. They still think that anyone who doesn't have white skin must have been born overseas.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

Getting quite bored of the "difficult genius" trope, which you see in most dramas, but none more prevalent than in the police procedural or murder mystery, where inevitably the policeman or woman can't handle day-to-day niceties but is tolerated for their ability to do the job.

Usually they are also over-obsessed with whatever we're watching them for, so their side-story of a personal life is always one where it's all falling apart.

How about change it up a little, writers?

I was thinking the other day whilst watching some detective programme (can't recall which one) that you never see a TV detective who doesn't have a "troubled" personal life in some way.
    Tom Barnaby.
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Pross said:

Getting quite bored of the "difficult genius" trope, which you see in most dramas, but none more prevalent than in the police procedural or murder mystery, where inevitably the policeman or woman can't handle day-to-day niceties but is tolerated for their ability to do the job.

Usually they are also over-obsessed with whatever we're watching them for, so their side-story of a personal life is always one where it's all falling apart.

I was thinking the other day whilst watching some detective programme (can't recall which one) that you never see a TV detective who doesn't have a "troubled" personal life in some way.
    Tom Barnaby.
    Pretty sure there's marriage problems there as his wife seems to be a member of every local club or society she can join, presumably to avoid him.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,546
    If serious gamers spent as much time practising a musical instrument, they'd be phenomenal, with the degree of eye-hand coordination they develop.
  • rick_chasey
    It's brutal, over 22 in esports and you're considered old. The twitch muscles and concentration to play these games over and over burns them out by the mid 20s.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

Tom Barnaby.
    Pretty sure there's marriage problems there as his wife seems to be a member of every local club or society she can join, presumably to avoid him.
    That’s for when at work he’s solving the murders. They are always out together when he’s not at work.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

The game ranks you by ability in an ELO style system,

Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't understand the earlier post about legendary whatever but now I'm baffled as to why the Electric Light Orchestra are ranking gamers,
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,977

Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't understand the earlier post about legendary whatever but now I'm baffled as to why the Electric Light Orchestra are ranking gamers,
    No Answer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

I played with a baroque cellist for a few years, and it was only after he'd been killed by a round bale rolling onto his van from a field that I discovered he'd been in ELO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Edwards_(musician)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    de_sisti said:

* Last Friday, a bloke with whom I've chatted to (on and off) for over 10 years. We used to work for the same organisation (at different times), whose nationality requirements for employment were once extremely strict (so he should have known better).

When I pressed him to tell me who those "others" were, he declined to give an answer

I said it is patronising when white people like him and the previously mentioned woman ask such questions. I said he was out-of-touch with a modern Britain, in the same way as Lady Susan Hussey.

These two people are from a generation where they didn't mix with people of colour, let alone have friends who have a different skin colour to them. They still think that anyone who doesn't have white skin must have been born overseas.

I was with you until you used my pet hate.
  • briantrumpet

de_sisti said:

We did this one extensively a while ago. I still find it a strange phrase given 'coloured people' disappeared as an acceptable usage quite some time ago, but realise I just need to get used to it, if that's the preference.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

I played with a baroque cellist for a few years, and it was only after he'd been killed by a round bale rolling onto his van from a field that I discovered he'd been in ELO.

Sounds like a very interesting character
  • de_sisti said:

We did this one extensively a while ago. I still find it a strange phrase given 'coloured people' disappeared as an acceptable usage quite some time ago, but realise I just need to get used to it, if that's the preference.
    If you say ‘people of colour’, does that mean the rest are colourless?

Would anybody object to being called colourless?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

de_sisti said:

You don't need to get used to it.
  • briantrumpet

de_sisti said:

It's not me who's got the choice to make about what label is acceptable to those to whom it applies (well, I can choose one they don't like, but then they won't like it, and why would I want to do that?). There are more important things to annoyed by anyway.... labels are just labels.
  • briantrumpet

Sounds like a very interesting character

He was, and the most lovely, gentle person, as well as a very good musician.
  • pblakeney

de_sisti said:

It would make life simpler if there was a fixed convention though rather than ever changing preferences.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

de_sisti said:

You can't just say you hate people of colour, that's not on these days.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

de_sisti said:

It would make life simpler if there was a fixed convention though rather than ever changing preferences.

Language is an ever-moving target.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

de_sisti said:

Language is an ever-moving target.
    So is offence unfortunately.
    Veronese68 wrote: