Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,705
    My only Costco experience was in North America, where you had to be a member to get in. Gf had a membership.

All I remember was family sized breakfast cereal - if you family consisted of 8 kids under 10 - and bargain electrical goods, requiring some MMA experience in order to compete for.

Is it still the same?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I follow the NFL.

A player had a heart attack and collapsed on the field. Not trivial nor annoying.

The response in the coverage to it. Holy moly. Bunch of fundamentalist nutters.
  • First.Aspect
    Are we talking passover followed by Easter, by any chance?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,978

My only Costco experience was in North America, where you had to be a member to get in. Gf had a membership.

All I remember was family sized breakfast cereal - if you family consisted of 8 kids under 10 - and bargain electrical goods, requiring some MMA experience in order to compete for.

Is it still the same?

Pretty much, without the MMA. Most things are sold in huge amounts.
    Sensible people buy multi-packs. A chest freezer would be handy too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,202

Is it still the same?

You need paid for membership. But most 'umans can sort out a means.
    They do have numerous good price + good quality things. Plus lots of pish.
  • rick_chasey

Lots of people saying with a straight face that he survived because of the power of prayers, and that his team has had a couple of remarkable plays is a “miracle” that is related to the player almost dying.
  • First.Aspect

Lots of people saying with a straight face that he survived because of the power of prayers, and that his team has had a couple of remarkable plays is a “miracle” that is related to the player almost dying.
    Oddly enough, just listening to "Earthling" by Bowie. He correctly points out that God is an American.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,202
    But (way too many) USanians are nutters. A 6yo shoots a teacher?
  • First.Aspect
    orraloon said:

Guns don't kill. Six year olds do.
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon said:

Absolutely standard.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    edited January 2023
    Getting flu when you already feel **** from long Covid. About the only blessing is the flu jab I had two months ago seems to stopping me from having the horrendous coughing fits that unvaccinated family members are going through.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is anybody else finding the bugs are relentless this year?
    We are on about our longest bug free spell as a family at about 3 weeks. I really can't recall a time when people were ill as they regularly are at the moment.
    Seems to be the same with work colleagues.
  • pblakeney
    Mixed bag here. My wife seems to catch colds every second week whereas I've not been ill in over 3 years. I wfh, could be very relevant. Strange that I don't catch hers though. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,546
    Predicted and predictable: society has gone from very cautious and socially distanced practices to one in which anything goes again, in the middle of winter, indoors, with windows and doors closed, and we're doing all the social things we missed. And we've not been exposed to the standard bugs in anything like the same way for two years because of that.

The bugs are just making up for lost time, and we're doing all we can to help them.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

Mixed bag here. My wife seems to catch colds every second week whereas I've not been ill in over 3 years. I wfh, could be very relevant. Strange that I don't catch hers though. 🤔

I was ill late 2019 and then not at all until last summer. Since last summer we've tag teamed bugs.
  • morstar

Predicted and predictable: society has gone from very cautious and socially distanced practices to one in which anything goes again, in the middle of winter, indoors, with windows and doors closed, and we're doing all the social things we missed. And we've not been exposed to the standard bugs in anything like the same way for two years because of that.

The bugs are just making up for lost time, and we're doing all we can to help them.

That's pretty much where my thoughts are at. Every time we've been to a gig or any sort of event, somebody is less than 100% straight after.
    Slightly surprised as we've engaged socially ever since the lockdowns eased and yet this year is noticeably worse. I definitely think it's exacerbated by the numbers of people now engaging more.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

That's pretty much where my thoughts are at. Every time we've been to a gig or any sort of event, somebody is less than 100% straight after.
    Slightly surprised as we've engaged socially ever since the lockdowns eased and yet this year is noticeably worse. I definitely think it's exacerbated by the numbers of people now engaging more.
    I think the number and intensity of social interactions is way up, and people have given up staying away if they are symptomatic. My recent train-plane-coach journey was accompanied by some pretty unpleasant sounding hacking and sniffling that would have been completely socially unacceptable a few months ago.
  • pblakeney
    We learned nothing.
    I am disappointed but not surprised.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Checked the weather forecast for the next 2 weeks on the BBC weather app and today was the only day with no rain at all. Got up this morning and the first thing I heard was rain.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Checked the weather forecast for the next 2 weeks on the BBC weather app and today was the only day with no rain at all. Got up this morning and the first thing I heard was rain.

Yeah, it's all ABS at the mo.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    edited January 2023
    Pross said:

Gave up on BBC weather when Meteo Group took over from Met Office ~5 years ago.

I use Met Office and Weather Underground these days.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    Getting quite bored of the "difficult genius" trope, which you see in most dramas, but none more prevalent than in the police procedural or murder mystery, where inevitably the policeman or woman can't handle day-to-day niceties but is tolerated for their ability to do the job.

Usually they are also over-obsessed with whatever we're watching them for, so their side-story of a personal life is always one where it's all falling apart.

How about change it up a little, writers?
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Gave up on BBC weather when Metro Group took over from Met Office ~5 years ago.

Yes, indeed. I always have to make sure I read the words on the Met Office forecasts as well as look at the graphics, as they often flesh out the detail into the wider likelihoods: the words are done by humans and the graphics done automatically on the hour by computer, and if one of them is going to be wrong, it's usually the graphics.

I also use netweather.tv for their rainfall radar, as it's updated every five minutes and it's easy to see if there's something unpleasant incoming that's not been picked up in the forecast.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    I just checked that netweather TV. Bookmarked it.
    I wish that graphic wouldn't off on one when scrolling or zooming in or out with the mouse.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094

Getting quite bored of the "difficult genius" trope, which you see in most dramas, but none more prevalent than in the police procedural or murder mystery, where inevitably the policeman or woman can't handle day-to-day niceties but is tolerated for their ability to do the job.

Usually they are also over-obsessed with whatever we're watching them for, so their side-story of a personal life is always one where it's all falling apart.

How about not watching much TV?
    It's mainly shyte after all.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    I don't, tbh. I'd like to watch more.

I am however, legendary ranked on CODMobile BR for the last 8 seasons in a row :)
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I just checked that netweather TV. Bookmarked it.
    I wish that graphic wouldn't off on one when scrolling or zooming in or out with the mouse.

I end up using BBC, Met Office and Windfinder to get a sense of what's happening sometimes. Oh, and that rain radar app.

Pretty good overall at predicting if there's going to be a weather window, if not when, precisely.
  • rick_chasey

Bored with* apologies everyone.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Gave up on BBC weather when Meteo Group took over from Met Office ~5 years ago.

Met Office were showing sunny today too. To be fair, the rain cleared by around 8.30 and it is fairly bright now but not the glowing full sun both apps showed for the day.
  • Pross

I was thinking the other day whilst watching some detective programme (can't recall which one) that you never see a TV detective who doesn't have a "troubled" personal life in some way.