Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Yes, that bit. Wasn't clear to me at the time otherwise I wouldn't have gone down it. Very busy with traffic in both directions so I didn't spot the road markings. Probably should have clocked the fact that said traffic only consisted of buses bikes and taxis... I did go back to check and all the signs on the approach to it were indeed obscured by foliage, but I wasn't in a good place mentally so CBA to argue and just paid the fine
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    There's a Cliff Richard "new" christmas song playing on Radio2. It's awful, he sounds like an 82yo in warble mode. A bit like Paul McCartney at the 2012 Olympics but at least there he was performing live not a processed recording.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,444
    orraloon said:

There's a Cliff Richard "new" christmas song playing on Radio2. It's awful, he sounds like an 82yo in warble mode. A bit like Paul McCartney at the 2012 Olympics but at least there he was performing live not a processed recording.

It was on while we were in the car just now and I said to the wife I reckon it was part of the settlement of his legal case with the BBC that they have to start playing his stuff again. He was on the One Show a few weeks and came across as an obnoxious tvvat.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    I believe Cliff was Number 2 in the album charts last week. Second only to a new and heavily promoted Stormzy album. Odd to consider his fanbase must be streaming it to garner that level of success but there you go.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross
    They’re probably the only people still buying entire albums.

Stormzy must be well pleased that he is now deemed Radio 2 material, not very cutting edge!
  • Pross said:

Stormzy must be well pleased that he is now deemed Radio 2 material, not very cutting edge!

I think you misread that :D
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,902
    edited December 2022

I believe Cliff was Number 2 in the album charts last week. Second only to a new and heavily promoted Stormzy album. Odd to consider his fanbase must be streaming it to garner that level of success but there you go.

Isn't it the case that physical sales count a ton more than streams...

So hopefully Cliff isn't actually doing that well.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Not sure what you mean. I saw the bit about streaming but reckon it still applies, I wouldn’t think many people bother with a full album whether streaming, downloading or buying a physical copy these days.

I’d be surprised if Cliff was number 2 in a singles chart.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Not sure what you mean. I saw the bit about streaming but reckon it still applies, I wouldn’t think many people bother with a full album whether streaming, downloading or buying a physical copy these days.

I’d be surprised if Cliff was number 2 in a singles chart.
    My mistake, I thought you were responding to someone by saying he was deemed Radio 2 material, forgot you're a Radio 2 listener.

Anyway, he's going to be added to the list of people I've seen playing down the road in Kingston, which proves he's not very cutting edge.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    edited December 2022
    Jezyboy said:

Yes they do.
    I was just thinking where you go to buy physical music these days? Other than Amazon etc.
    Supermarkets were the big unit shifter up until downloading took over. Maybe all the Cliff fans are committed enough to pop down to ... HMV? I assume they aren't doing the vinyl thing?

Unless they sell like a calendar/cd package deal? They would explain it!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    edited December 2022

Jezyboy said:

Yes they do.
    I was just thinking where you go to buy physical music these days? Other than Amazon etc.
    Supermarkets were the big unit shifter up until downloading took over. Maybe all the Cliff fans are committed enough to pop down to ... HMV? I assume they aren't doing the vinyl thing?

Unless they sell like a calendar/cd package deal? They would explain it!
    Funnily though there is a pop-up HMV I'm my local mall. Yes they were doing vinyl.
    Took me quite by surprise! #christmascashin
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    The new Zwift version of Glasgow appears to have Edinburgh Castle in it.
  • The new Zwift version of Glasgow appears to have Edinburgh Castle in it.

I suppose they are a bit further apart than London and Box Hill.
  • Pross
    Went out for my works Christmas dinner on Friday and went in two pubs. Both of them offered a ridiculous range of beers (probably in excess of 20 on tap plus others in cans or bottles). You end up at the bar for the first time standing for ages trying to work out which one is a style you like and has an alcohol content that will mean you aren't unconscious by mid afternoon whilst the bar staff are trying to serve you. Then, despite all the choices, there are no amber or golden ales so you have to have a lager / IPA / American IPA / wheat beers which I find too fizzy or there are now quite a few stouts and porters which I find too heavy (and strong, some of them were 9%). Opted for an IPA in the end but after 4 of those I was too bloated to do anything.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    They grit the roads and not the pavements.

• Pross
    Yeah, that's a problem around my way especially when you are walking 35kg of German Shepherd Dog that fancies pulling and the street is on a steep gradient. I had to walk on the road the other day after slipping a couple of times in the first 100m.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I just had to pop out and it's like being on the bike again. Don't really want to slip over so I'll have to contend with close passes and abuse telling me to get off the road.

At least I've had 20 years' practice.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311

Yeah I just had to pop out and it's like being on the bike again. Don't really want to slip over so I'll have to contend with close passes and abuse telling me to get off the road.

At least I've had 20 years' practice.

Get some yaktrax rick

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    Nah, they don't wanna grit the pavement i'll walk on the road.

That's what the councils want right? Else they'd have gritted the pavement.
  • pangolin
    If Cambridge is anything like Bristol, there are loads of cars in the way, and gritting the pavements would involve someone actually walking down every road twice. Every few days. Not really realistic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    In Germany every house is responsible for the pavement in front of them.
  • Pross

Over here the likes of the Mail have convinced people they'll be sued if they do that and someone falls.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    edited December 2022
    Pross said:

Over here the likes of the Mail have convinced people they'll be sued if they do that and someone falls.
    The unfortunate thing as that is how things used to be here. Not sure how true it actually is regarding suits but we are one of the few that clears their section.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

I have never heard this.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Was such fun riding around this morning.

Empty roads, smiles on faces.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

The unfortunate thing as that is how things used to be here. Not sure how true it actually is regarding suits but we are one of the few that clears their section.
    When my daughter was at home and had a horse we used to be the first ones out of our street in the morning and had to get there no matter what the weather. The section of our cul-de-sac, which doesn't get gritted, to the junction with a road that is on a bus route so does is about 50m and on a gradient of around 10% so we used to have to go back and forth to the grit box on the junction and do the whole length plus our drive. I had one morning where a taxi driver who lives at the far end of the cul-de-sac, where it is flat, sat in his car watching us doing it for about 15 minutes then just as we were finishing got a garden fork out as if he was going to somehow help, said 'oh, you've done it now' and drove off.
  • Pross
    edited December 2022
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

I have never heard this.
    The Government had to issue advice a few years ago due to the myth being perpetuated.

An example here https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/good-neighbour-could-sued-clearing-4227864
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,841
    Pross said:

Yeah, that's a problem around my way especially when you are walking 35kg of German Shepherd Dog that fancies pulling and the street is on a steep gradient. I had to walk on the road the other day after slipping a couple of times in the first 100m.

Microspikes...
  • Pross

Pross said:

Microspikes...
    I've got a pair of trail running shoes that I can put ice studs in and have a set of small tungsten hex screws that basically do the same job as the studs at a fraction of the cost. I just need to put them back in (and remember to take the shoes off before I come back in the house to avoid a bollocking!).
  • I've managed to avoid any understanding of what ladbaby is beyond hearing a bit of their unfathomably popular previous Christmas songs, but I have just read that they/he/it are likely to have a number one single with a sausage roll based version of Do They Know It's Christmas.

If it happens, I now believe this country is not worth trying to save, and it should just burn.