Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Town full of pedants you'd think it'd go down badly, but they charge a fortune and are always full.

Those prices seem reasonable compared to my village pub.
  • The irony also being that Cambridge is generally awful for good, independent places to eat out - and Fin Boys is absolutely excellent.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Fishmonger and restaurant down the road.

In massive white writing on a black background on the main shop sign.

"Fish Butchers".

Foreign owned with a literal translation from their native language? Or just some tools trying to be trendy?
    Latter. They're called "Fin Boys"

https://fin-boys.com/
    Tvvats!
    I see it's annoyed you, so bang on topic.
    Food pretence is definitely something I find trivially annoying.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Fishmonger and restaurant down the road.

In massive white writing on a black background on the main shop sign.

"Fish Butchers".

Foreign owned with a literal translation from their native language? Or just some tools trying to be trendy?
    Latter. They're called "Fin Boys"

https://fin-boys.com/
    Tvvats!
    I see it's annoyed you, so bang on topic.
    Food pretence is definitely something I find trivially annoying.
    I'm with you there, but this is probably NFC (Normal For Cambridge).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The irony also being that Cambridge is generally awful for good, independent places to eat out - and Fin Boys is absolutely excellent.

Bit of a pain if you have to order your chips from down the road though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    Hardly trivial but Terry Hall at 63? . . . I'm annoyed at that.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,920
    Royal Mail "tracking". Still telling me it will be delivered on the 19th. Not particularly bothered about it not arriving when it was supposed to. It's the lack of update that's annoying.
  • Pross

I've managed to avoid any understanding of what ladbaby is beyond hearing a bit of their unfathomably popular previous Christmas songs, but I have just read that they/he/it are likely to have a number one single with a sausage roll based version of Do They Know It's Christmas.

If it happens, I now believe this country is not worth trying to save, and it should just burn.

Just heard a clip of this dross and it appears that all they’ve done is change a few words to ‘sausage rolls’. It’s basically the sort of thing kids in primary school do but they are usually a bit more sophisticated to make it a bit funny or rude (by the standards of 6 or 7 year old kids).

It’s not amusing or ironic it’s just shite whether it’s for charity or not. Just make a donation to charity than encouraging these idiots to keep thinking they’re in some way clever or talented.
  • Pross said:

I've managed to avoid any understanding of what ladbaby is beyond hearing a bit of their unfathomably popular previous Christmas songs, but I have just read that they/he/it are likely to have a number one single with a sausage roll based version of Do They Know It's Christmas.

If it happens, I now believe this country is not worth trying to save, and it should just burn.

Just heard a clip of this dross and it appears that all they’ve done is change a few words to ‘sausage rolls’. It’s basically the sort of thing kids in primary school do but they are usually a bit more sophisticated to make it a bit funny or rude (by the standards of 6 or 7 year old kids).

It’s not amusing or ironic it’s just shite whether it’s for charity or not. Just make a donation to charity than encouraging these idiots to keep thinking they’re in some way clever or talented.
    My annoyance with it is that apparently it is being done to draw awareness to the cost of living crisis. Because we haven't nearly heard enough about that in the last year have we.
  • Pross
    On the subject of the cost of living crisis, there were students on the Welsh news yesterday asking for additional support from Welsh Government so they could ‘enjoy the student experience’. Students in Wales already get higher grants than in England and is it really the role of Government to ensure they can carry on affording to go on the lash? People demand Government support for everything these days.
  • webboo
    20:25 and I’m wondering just what time my DPD parcel that’s going to be delivered today will actually arrive.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    webboo said:

20:25 and I’m wondering just what time my DPD parcel that’s going to be delivered today will actually arrive.

Trust me, its not just you.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    webboo said:

It's 'Evri' that's getting the bad press in my (Devon) home town... every (sorry) other day there's a message on the local FB group asking someone to identify (from a photo) where a parcel's been left... seems the newish delivery person has given up on actually delivering things to the address on the label, and just leaves them somewhere, takes a photo, and says it's been delivered.

It must be a shït job at any time of the year, with the time pressure put on them, but I'm surprised that this one hasn't been sacked for misdeliveries, I guess when there's no-one more competent ready to take your place, you know you can get away with it.
  • webboo
    I order something from a well known outdoor shop in the North East and paid for tracked delivery. They acknowledged my order but after 24 hours, it didn’t appear to have been shipped. I looked on there Facebook page and found lots of complaints of orders not being delivered on time and no communication from the company.
    Which made me rather anxious, I contacted the shop a couple of time and got auto emails. I then got a tracking number for DPD which when I put in their system it wasn’t recognised. Eventually I got an email from DPD saying where did I want my delivery left safe place or neighbour or one of their depots.
    When I said safe place it said it would be delivered to day.
    Like fu(k it seems.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    webboo said:

• webboo
    I expecting at some point I will get an email to say it’s been delayed because of the postal strike
  • Pross

webboo said:

It's 'Evri' that's getting the bad press in my (Devon) home town... every (sorry) other day there's a message on the local FB group asking someone to identify (from a photo) where a parcel's been left... seems the newish delivery person has given up on actually delivering things to the address on the label, and just leaves them somewhere, takes a photo, and says it's been delivered.

It must be a shït job at any time of the year, with the time pressure put on them, but I'm surprised that this one hasn't been sacked for misdeliveries, I guess when there's no-one more competent ready to take your place, you know you can get away with it.
    They should bring in the military to do the job.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Pross said:

webboo said:

They could get those "sorry we missed you" slips out in record time.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • webboo
    Pross said:

webboo said:

No, no ,no. My daughter and son in law were posted to Brunei last June, they had to ship their stuff out in April. They managed to break their TV and tumbler drier whilst shipping it out there. As for delivery times it takes about 5 weeks for anything to be delivered from the UK.
  • Pross
    The other option is to get John80 on the case as he can do any job better than the incumbent.
  • webboo
    So the saga of my parcel continues. It left Newcastle yesterday at 1400 and arrived in Birmingham at 01:30 this morning and it’s now on its way to Goole.
    It must have gone past Goole to get to Brum.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    I know you are supposed to be controversial when writing opinion pieces but do such writers never pause before pressing send to wonder whether they are just being an idiot?

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited December 2022
    rjsterry said:

I know you are supposed to be controversial when writing opinion pieces but do such writers never pause before pressing send to wonder whether they are just being an idiot?

I thought you'd not like it, and wouldn't agree with its thesis, but given that it's an opinion piece, which Toynbee argues from her strongly atheist viewpoint, I can't see that she's being an idiot.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Christmas comes with religious baggage? Lol come on Brian.
  • briantrumpet

Christmas comes with religious baggage? Lol come on Brian.

Did you read the article?
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. I find it incredibly childish.

Here’s a piece of Christmas advice. No one ever wants to hear about your opinions on religion.
  • briantrumpet

Yeah. I find it incredibly childish.

Here’s a piece of Christmas advice. No one ever wants to hear about your opinions on religion.

Fairy nuff. Agreed it's a ragtag of anti-religion opinions, but I don't think it's idiotic, even if it is provocative.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    I’m as atheistic as they come but I find most atheists embarrassing, ignorant and downright offensive.

No one is going to change anyone’s opinion on faith unless they’re asked about it.

The contempt atheists have for something that people plainly find life enriching is remarkable, and their complaints always seem to be a confusion of simple faith and (geo)politics. Toybee is one of those.

The ignorance to just dismiss two millennia of organised religious practice, during which at least for 1800 it was the cornerstone of society as “baggage” beggars belief (pun intended).

Totally by accident I helped convert my best friend who was a son of an archdeacon to atheism and I’m persona non-grata with his family as a result, so I’m surprised to find myself defending religion, but I find myself doing it more and more regularly because of just pathetic behaviour on part of atheists.

Atheism does not make one superior.

I think most of them need to grow up and not be so childish about it. Certainly they ought to be less evangelical about it.
  • To be honest, I think it's a bloody cheek getting all Richard Dawkins when Father Christmas is up to his eyeballs delivering presents.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2022
    I once pointed out to my religious US in laws that blasphemy is the ultimate victimless crime.

To be fair, they do have a sense of humour.