Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• There was talk on the Today programme this morning about the Rio lab being closed or not meeting WADA standards and that all tests will/may have to be flown to Switzerland during the World Cup. I can't find a link to a fuller story on it (after not looking very hard mind you) and I was half asleep and also had Dutch news in the other ear but I'm pretty sure this was the story. Anyone know any more about this?

Here you go
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dc ... story.html

Its interesting...Lausanne is one of the 'super labs'...

Cheers dears.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Excellent Grauniad article on WADA, Jamaica and Kenya

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... -drug-wada?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    RichN95 wrote:
    Back to Jamaica and their woes....it seems that Tygart and crew may be parachuted in to help sort them out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... oblem.html
    So will we get seven years of inaction followed by the fudging of the statue of limitations again?

Nah, it's in the Yanks best interests to find wide spread doping in Jamaican sprinting ASAP. It would help sort out their main competitor and also help people forget the major problem US sprinting has had with doping.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Excellent Grauniad article on WADA, Jamaica and Kenya

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... -drug-wada?

What a depressing read. I don't think any Jamacian drug cheats need be quaking in their spikes quite yet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    It's very easy for people from G8 countries to criticise third world countries for not testing enough. Especially when they use their 'code' as an excuse for not to provide any assistance.

Here's some figures for GDP per capita:
    USA $51,000
    UK $40,000
    Jamaica $5,300
    Kenya $980

A full drug test (if you have a local lab) costs $1500. WADA and IAAF have to take responsibility themselves and not rely on underfunded governments with far deeper problems.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Obfuscation, lies and cover-ups cant be laid at that door, though, Rich. Jamaica's shambled around on doping controls for the last few years. They committed to doing xx and then did a backslide on it.

The irony being that one of world's wealthiest athletes is Jamaican.

As most of the Jamaican athletes seem to live and train in the US, maybe USADA should take over their testing.
  • RichN95.
    Obfuscation, lies and cover-ups cant be laid at that door, though, Rich. Jamaica's shambled around on doping controls for the last few years. They committed to doing xx and then did a backslide on it.

As most of the Jamaican athletes seem to live and train in the US, maybe USADA should take over their testing.
    But it's symptomatic of all of WADA's failings. Their arrogance, lack of understanding, unwillingness to assist, adherence to a patently unsatisfactory 'one size fits all' code and their blocking of more stringent sanctions. What have WADA actually done since their inception other than criticise?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I'm pretty sure the leading members of WADA or wazzzz uppp as I like to call them, will tell you about their endless treks to some of the finest hotels ,watching some of the greatest sporting events and traveling first class while confirming their tough stance and no nonsense attitude against Lance Armstrong and Ben Johnson :lol::lol::lol:
    I could be wrong and they actually live in a shed in my neighbours garden and run everything from there.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Obfuscation, lies and cover-ups cant be laid at that door, though, Rich. Jamaica's shambled around on doping controls for the last few years. They committed to doing xx and then did a backslide on it.

But it's symptomatic of all of WADA's failings. Their arrogance, lack of understanding, unwillingness to assist, adherence to a patently unsatisfactory 'one size fits all' code and their blocking of more stringent sanctions. What have WADA actually done since their inception other than criticise?

As you well know, because the Code is about harmonising policies around anti-doping across every sport that's a signatory - which is all sports except the likes of the NFL - revisions to the Code have to involve the consultation of every blessed governing body. There's argy-barging, giving a bit of ground here, taking back a bit there - its a huge combination of negotiation, persuasion and god knows what else. It also has to be through all the Committees. The new version being voted on this week has been 2 years in the making. No wonder harder line stuff often gets dropped in the process - because what some governing bodies will go for, others will flatly refuse to agree to.

God knows, WADA are far from perfect. But the alternative to a unified Code is even more of a total free for all.

EDIT: you wanted example of what WADA have done since 1999 apart from critisize - here are a few that come to mind:

Develop standards for the testing labs
    Co-operation with pharmas for early detection before market release - CERA for example
    Develop and maintain the list of banned and controlled substances
    Education and communications
    Fund research into detecting new substances, new detection methods
    Centralised system for anti-doping info, inc ADAMS etc
    Athletes Passport
    Various CAS appeals
  • RichN95.
    As you well know, because the Code is about harmonising policies around anti-doping across every sport that's a signatory - which is all sports except the likes of the NFL - revisions to the Code have to involve the consultation of every blessed governing body. There's argy-barging, giving a bit of ground here, taking back a bit there - its a huge combination of negotiation, persuasion and god knows what else. It also has to be through all the Committees. The new version being voted on this week has been 2 years in the making. No wonder harder line stuff often gets dropped in the process - because what some governing bodies will go for, others will flatly refuse to agree to.
    But that's the problem. It's the daft idea that one code can suffice for all. If a sport has a particular problem then it needs to be able to take the necessary measures to correct it. And similarly a country which barely has clean drinking water can be held to the same standards as ones which hold 80% of the world's wealth. WADA's complete intransigence and its uncountable position while sitting astride its high horse has been holding anti-doping back.

It's a typical gravy train. Lots of conferences and committees and consultations and initiatives and roadmaps and workshops - but sod all actually doing anything apart for apportioning blame and criticising.

And as for harmonising policies - will other sports be offer a truth and reconcilliation process like cycling? Of course not. Because WADA throw the code out the window when they're the ones breaking it.

The prime purpose of WADA over the last decade has been as tool for Dick Pound to grind axes with the IOC members who have crossed him in the past (mainly by not making him President)
  • WADA certainly have their committees and conferences. And I've got no arguments about the use of 'tool' and Dick Pound in the same sentence. But to say they do nothing is totally inaccurate.

Saying to an athlete from some countries, sorry, we cant held your competitors from these other countries to the same standards and we're not going to even try'...?

The alternative: close the door on those countries' athletes competing in international competitions? Lock them out?
  • rayjay
    The biggest sports will run their sport anyway they fill fit. The amounts of money involved in football, NFL etc etc means that if WADA tread on their toes they can walk away. What happens if we get to a world cup final and 7 or 8 of the highest earning players have been caught doping. I tell you what will happen, nothing, it will be made to go away. Look at Vino's ban from his own country. :lol::lol::lol: What ban :lol:
    We have had countless athletes coming back from drugs bans of all different lengths. There is no consistency at all.
    Rich sports will do what they want. WADA IMO is just a facade
  • ray, as far as I can tell, you think:

everyone in sport is a doper
    everyone cheats
    its all a sham. all of it. the whole shooting match

Christ knows why you spend time on something whose participants you have such seeming contempt for
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I think the first thing WADA need to do is look into getting the testing away from the ADOs as some of them can be implicit in a cover up as why would they want to catch cheats from their own country
  • rayjay
    I don't have contempt for athletes. I love cycling and enjoy many sports. I have been to the Tour and other races many times. I'm just making point about how much money is involved in some sports.
    We would all like to see a fair and just system in all walks of life.
    I am very positive about the world and sport but I understand that to eliminate PEDs and maybe tech advantages in the future it is not going to be easy and IMO unless we have a WADA that has real power and influence then it's effect will be limiting. A bit like the way big business runs the world and politicians think they do.
    I Don't mean to come over so negative [I'm a Bill Hicks fan] The trouble with posting threads is that it can come across a bit harsh. I was at the Mayors fireworks last Saturday night lighting up the sky of London :D hope that helps. peace.
  • RichN95.
    WADA certainly have their committees and conferences. And I've got no arguments about the use of 'tool' and Dick Pound in the same sentence. But to say they do nothing is totally inaccurate.

Saying to an athlete from some countries, sorry, we cant held your competitors from these other countries to the same standards and we're not going to even try'...?

The alternative: close the door on those countries' athletes competing in international competitions? Lock them out?
    But it's no good demanding countries meet a certain standard if they don't have the means to do it. Some of these WADA officials should leave their Montreal Ivory Tower once in a while and go to places like Kenya themselves. Then they might realise there's more to the issue that's they realise and try to help rather than hiding behind their code and passing the buck.
    At the moment they are like a loan provider who sends in the bailiffs at the first default rather than considering a structured repayment plan.
  • A book came out this week claiming that the dutch football teams (clubs and the national team) were massively doped in the 70s. They used amphetamines, makes you wonder what they were using when going out!

Link (again in dutch, apologies): http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2698/Spo ... n-78.dhtml

I don't know if this made it to the UK but there has been a tv-show about the Juventus team showing abnomral blood values in the mid nineties, for instance when they beat Ajax in the 1996 CL final. Some exerts said it looked like EPO use.
  • sherer
    I think anyone who looks into doping and sports knows that it has been used in football too. Someone posted a link a few pages back that listed some of the scandals and the Juve team of the 90s is one that is publicly known. Shame FIFA, UEFA can't be bothered to do anything about it.

They don't do blood testing and just find the odd recreational drug use.

As long as the game makes money know one really cares
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    rayjay wrote:
    I'm a Bill Hicks fan hope that helps. peace.
    Good Lad Enjoy the ride.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just seen this for anyone who is interested.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16158 ... rs?cc=5739
  • sherer
    wonder if anything will come of this or is it more of a publicity thing with no real testing going on in the background.

Time and again FIFA has ignored the issue of PEDs in football and can't really see any reason for them to change that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    "We received the approval of the medical team to go ahead ... (and) the approval of Pep Guardiola, the manager of the team."

FFS.
  • rayjay
    I cannot think of a sport where athletes have not doped. Even snookers players were taking stuff .
    Can anyone think of a clean sport?
  • RichN95.
    rayjay wrote:
    I cannot think of a sport where athletes have not doped. Even snookers players were taking stuff .
    You'll struggle to find much in hockey.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    You'll struggle to find much in hockey.

You'd struggle to find any in cycling, if nobody was looking :wink:

You'd struggle to find any in cycling. Even though they're looking :shock:

I have to say, Cycling is the only sport I know where the heroes of yesteryear (LA excepted as he is a scapegoat) are still worshipped etc etc. Think Pantani...and the rest. As far as doping is concerned, cycling appears to have such a different culture (and tolerance) than every other sport. Others have shock/horror, cycling just says "oh well, another one".
  • RichN95.
    rayjay wrote:
    I'm pretty sure these guys are clean: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24948510
  • rayjay
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    I'm pretty sure these guys are clean: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24948510

I would like to see Mr Bolt have a go at that. I reckon I could beat that guy in the background in the black top and shorts . He looked rubbish at it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Nah. Ketamine.