I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You do one sportive and look what happens FFS

You will of course need new bike(s)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Judging by your age, I assume you'll believe that triathletes compete in these.

article-2211124-15496F6C000005DC-664_634x776.jpg

article-2211124-15497458000005DC-146_634x421.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    It's a strong look.

SupreFrogSanDiegobyCruse0612.jpg

:|
  • itboffin
    The only thing Greg has in common with lance is they're both dopes oh and wear Nike cycling shoes
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    So, do we get to do this when we see you launching yourself off down the slope from CB...

ON FOOT?!

hot-tubes-70-albums-junk-picture2352-simpsons-nelson-haha2.gif

Like IP, am also very happy to accompany you on winter training rides* and have a great laugh at your expense. A 70-mile round trip to the Chocolate cafe in Windsor's a good ride.

*This is subject to it not being wet, cold, windy, not too dark, and on a road other than the almighty A4.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    Like IP, am also very happy to accompany you on winter training rides* and have a great laugh at your expense. A 70-mile round trip to the Chocolate cafe in Windsor's a good ride.

I too am available. If required I can meet you in Windsor and ride other Greg's bike back as I assume he'll be swimming back to town. . . .

ha ha ha

HA HA HA

HA HA HA
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    My eldest just said: "Why would you run a marathon? Better to cycle it instead."

Good girl.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Thanks for the expressions of support. And "hello" to the rest of you. May well be casting around for ride partners in due course.

I've been trying to contextualise the distance in a domestic setting.

Swim from Tower Bridge to Waterloo Bridge. That almost sounds
    achievable.

Then mount your bike, and cycle to Bath.

Dismount, and run from Bath to Bristol.

When at Bristol, remember your bike's in Bath, so run back.

It sounds like an early draft of the script for a section Forrest Gump's Big Adventure In England.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    You were drunk when you sign up for this weren't you ....?
  • cjcp
    That's how I did it, except starting here and ending in Newport.

Bath sounds better.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin wrote:

Alas not.

And, even more surprisingly for me, I'm not going to buy a TT rig for it. Bike 1 will be my ride. With the Assaults, a disc cover and some shorty aeros (haven't decided which ones yet). It's hilly out there - I've ridden most of the course a fair amount over the years. Don't fancy a TT rig for the uphills, and don't fancy descending on the aeros a whole lot either.

Am off to buy some Newtons today though. That should get the injuries going nicely.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Continuing fallout from the LA doping scandal...

Greg, other avatars are available, no need to go to all this trouble.
  • itboffin
    :roll:
  • I don't do SCR but I do sort of know the feeling. There are times when I'm riding slowly to try to do that "HR below 70%" training thing and I'm always now worried I'll be passed on my commute - and, really stupidly, only because I've never been passed. There are times when I wish someone would pass me. Who cares?? Nobody! Except that horribly competitive part of me.

Really..........never ever?....

And I suppose your strava KOM's have survived the summer as well????
  • itboffin
    Course Descriptions for IRONMAN Canada

Swim Course
    The race will start with a two-loop, 2.4-mile swim in the clean shallow waters of Alta Lake at Rainbow Park, which has an average water temperature of 67 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit in late August.

Bike Course
    Bike Course Profile
    Athletes will enjoy a lakeside transition before starting a one-loop, 112-mile bike course that is comparable in difficulty to the bike routes at previous IRONMAN Canada venues. Athletes will travel south on the Sea-to-Sky Highway before climbing into the Callaghan Valley, site of the Nordic skiing events during the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. After descending back to the highway, athletes pass through Whistler on their way north to Pemberton. An out-and-back section allows athletes breathtakingly beautiful views of glaciated peaks, while racing on a completely flat section of road. Athletes then return to Whistler via the Sea-to-Sky Highway.

Run Course
    Run Course Profile
    The two-loop, 26.2 mile run course follows the meandering Valley Trail past Lost Lake and Green Lake allowing spectators to reinvigorate athletes with a return through Whistler Village at the halfway point of the run. Athletes repeat the same loop a second time before finishing adjacent to Whistler Olympic Plaza.

Originally from: http://beta.ironman.com/triathlon/event ... z29vwF0KBe

Sounds dreamy
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't do SCR but I do sort of know the feeling. There are times when I'm riding slowly to try to do that "HR below 70%" training thing and I'm always now worried I'll be passed on my commute - and, really stupidly, only because I've never been passed. There are times when I wish someone would pass me. Who cares?? Nobody! Except that horribly competitive part of me.

Really..........never ever?....

And I suppose your strava KOM's have survived the summer as well????

Not ever - part of the reason is that it's not very busy up here though there are some very quick cyclists who commute my route. I guess we're riding at similar average speeds so we never see each other though.

Alas I've lost a few KoM's - one or two have been on TT routes :shock: I have earned a couple extra too though so, overall, it's about a wash
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • So. Week 1.

I've not yet mapped out a structured training plan (I may short cut that and go to an online coach - time seems at a premium all of a sudden). In the time honoured tri-tradition of "train to your weaknesses, race to your strengths", I've resolved to leave swimming to post Xmas, to concentrate on building a rock solid running base from now to the end of the year, keep the bike ticking over in between, and try to drop weight like I'm on chemo. Fewer kgs I have to haul around for 12 hours, the better.

29km/4 sessions for the week, ending Sat (my training buddy is doing 80km and swimming three times a week, but he was supposed to be doing the Boston marathon. Git). Then a sprint intervals set today that was short but frankly very unpleasant. The good news is that I seem to have overcome the physical stress that running is as bad as riding a 7% gradient fairly quickly. The bad news is that I have a sore patch at the front of my right hip/right groin, which I reckon is something to do with the right side of my pelvis being further forward than the left. One of the echoes of my back problems from years back, possibly. I am hoping my Physio can get me doing something to pull things back to balance. I do not need a chronic injury, that's for sure.

Had a stress dream last night that I was stuck in T1 for 3 hours. It was like a hypermarket - choose what you want for food and drink for the bike, but use a shopping trolley and enjoy the queues. And that was before I got sent back to tidy up my wetsuit and other stuff (pretty sure there was a dinner jacket there too). Fun.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Would you mind turning this thread into a poll?

At what point will my back say no more!

A. 1 month
    B. 1 week
    C. .....?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    So. Week 1.

I've not yet mapped out a structured training plan (I may short cut that and go to an online coach - time seems at a premium all of a sudden). In the time honoured tri-tradition of "train to your weaknesses, race to your strengths", I've resolved to leave swimming to post Xmas, to concentrate on building a rock solid running base from now to the end of the year, keep the bike ticking over in between, and try to drop weight like I'm on chemo. Fewer kgs I have to haul around for 12 hours, the better.

29km/4 sessions for the week, ending Sat (my training buddy is doing 80km and swimming three times a week, but he was supposed to be doing the Boston marathon. Git). Then a sprint intervals set today that was short but frankly very unpleasant. The good news is that I seem to have overcome the physical stress that running is as bad as riding a 7% gradient fairly quickly. The bad news is that I have a sore patch at the front of my right hip/right groin, which I reckon is something to do with the right side of my pelvis being further forward than the left. One of the echoes of my back problems from years back, possibly. I am hoping my Physio can get me doing something to pull things back to balance. I do not need a chronic injury, that's for sure.

Had a stress dream last night that I was stuck in T1 for 3 hours. It was like a hypermarket - choose what you want for food and drink for the bike, but use a shopping trolley and enjoy the queues. And that was before I got sent back to tidy up my wetsuit and other stuff (pretty sure there was a dinner jacket there too). Fun.

Is that not just too much cycling and sitting at a desk, and not enough running/walking, leading to the muscles at the front of the front of the pelvis shortening? I only say as I'm noticing this happening to me. Must remember to stretch out a bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Is that not just too much cycling and sitting at a desk, and not enough running/walking, leading to the muscles at the front of the front of the pelvis shortening? I only say as I'm noticing this happening to me. Must remember to stretch out a bit.

Could well be. With the aid of Dr Internet, I've traced the problem to the iliacus. But it is definitely only on one side. When my back was crocked my pelvis was all over the; now I am fairly sure it is higher and further forward on the right than it is on the left. It may be that that muscle is balled up too tight and is pulling the whole thing out of whack. If I can loosen it enough to relieve the soreness, I'll be happy, but I still need to find the underlying cause.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Sounds like you need to do some work on your hip flexors. Working at a desk and cycling loads will tighten them up loads - I have the same problem. Definitely speak to a physio though as you may end up making things worse..

I'd also recommend good recovery tights to sleep in or wear under your suit at work. They made a big difference for me when training for the marathon as did cold water plunge baths after long runs..
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Sounds like you need to do some work on your hip flexors. Working at a desk and cycling loads will tighten them up loads - I have the same problem. Definitely speak to a physio though as you may end up making things worse..

I'd also recommend good recovery tights to sleep in or wear under your suit at work. They made a big difference for me when training for the marathon as did cold water plunge baths after long runs..
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1 wrote:

Any particular make of recovery tights? (I really don't know how this can get any easier for GT and ITB).

ETA: just so we're talking about the same place: hands in trouser pockets*, palms flat on your legs. The problem area tracks pretty much the length of your thumb and metacarpal (right side in my case). Funnily enough one of my occasional physios diagnosed tight hip flexors a few years ago, as I was coming out of my back pain episode.

*it's like a joke that just can't stop giving...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Tsk old man get over it and embrace the cross dressing bulimic life of a mamil you've chosen for yourself.

PS. Surgical tights are cheap as chips and work a treat ...so I'm told
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Any particular make of recovery tights? (I really don't know how this can get any easier for GT and ITB)..

Other Greg this evening, wearing his recovery tights, also Sleeveless you see, all ready for "transition".

tim-curry-rocky-horror-picture-show.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Ironman?

Wuss. Bloke from the club just took 7.5 hours off the Enduroman record.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:

Alas not.

And, even more surprisingly for me, I'm not going to buy a TT rig for it. Bike 1 will be my ride. With the Assaults, a disc cover and some shorty aeros (haven't decided which ones yet). It's hilly out there - I've ridden most of the course a fair amount over the years. Don't fancy a TT rig for the uphills, and don't fancy descending on the aeros a whole lot either.

Am off to buy some Newtons today though. That should get the injuries going nicely.
    If you are not going to get a new bike then what is the [u[point[/u] of doing it?

Makes no sense to me. None. At. All.

Pre-Crisis Greg66 would have treated himself to this: Lotus_Bike.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Greg66 Tri v2.0, I've been foolish enough to enter one as well so if you need someone to run slowly with, I'm your man. I'm really good at running slowly. I'm signed up for Roth next year. I justified buying a TT bike to my wife by telling her I needed one for an Ironman. The problem is, I then had to go and sign up to one. I even have a pointy helmet.

CJCP and IP, I'm up for longer rides. Saturday mornings suit me best at the moment and, outside November, I'll be in RP a couple of times a week as well, normally before work.
  • ShandyH wrote:
    Greg66 Tri v2.0, I've been foolish enough to enter one as well so if you need someone to run slowly with, I'm your man. I'm really good at running slowly. I'm signed up for Roth next year. I justified buying a TT bike to my wife by telling her I needed one for an Ironman. The problem is, I then had to go and sign up to one. I even have a pointy helmet.

CJCP and IP, I'm up for longer rides. Saturday mornings suit me best at the moment and, outside November, I'll be in RP a couple of times a week as well, normally before work.

Excellent! Good to hear it. Misery loves company, and all that.

I have to admit that I am rather splendid at running slowly right now. I will be in touch.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This thread is going to go right round to March 31st 2013 and the next day all will be revealed.

That or a picture of the 6 pack.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game