Separate purchase I´m afraid!!
  • Ceed
    Ceed Posts: 9
    aidieb wrote:
    Ceed wrote:
    HSOOSMCROW_P1.jpg
    Or 1-1/2 crown race Buy Seperately?

What's mean? "Separate purchase I´m afraid!!"???
  • Mr.Evil
    Mr.Evil Posts: 11
    Ceed wrote:
    aidieb wrote:
    What's mean? "Separate purchase I´m afraid!!"???
    if you read the description here
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSOOSMTAPER ... ed_headset

the On One Smoothie Mixer headset is for a 1" 1/8 straight steerer tube
    Works with standard 1 1/8in steerer forks straight out of the box or with tapered steerer forks using the 1 1/2in crown race (available seperately)

so, for a tapered steerer tube, you need to buy both, the headset and also the 1.5" adapter
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Or get the headset from superstar which comes with both crown races, is cheaper and betterer

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=425
  • I went for the slackset, one degree.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSWCSLS/on_one_slackset_headset_by_works_components_for_carbon_456
    have to say I'm really pleased with the way the bike handles some of the Pennine trails I've been riding.

oh and if you get one of these
    FSOOCNCSO-B2-GEAR-DISC-SIL_P1.jpg

there is no risk of fouling with the caliper; depends on your brakes and rotor size as to whether it's an issue of course.
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    Neal_ wrote:
    Or get the headset from superstar which comes with both crown races, is cheaper and betterer

i wouldn't , wait till you want to remove it!!!

go hope or the on one mixer as they are shorter depth so you can still tap them out of the frame or reuse if need be after frame issues re paint etc .

only my 2p
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I went for the Superstar headset, easy to put together and feels good, never had to concern myself with removing it though
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    JMcP92 wrote:
    I went for the Superstar headset, easy to put together and feels good, never had to concern myself with removing it though
    I have had the dubious pleasure of trying to remove one and it was not easy and resulted in a very knackered lower cup.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Ceed
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Heres one I built for a customer using a Saracen Zen as a donor bike. All the bits inc cables swapped straight over except the lower headset cup so a Hope bottom cup did the trick. Frame was £399, Saracen £499,Hope bottom cup £25. I'm building his mate the exact same bike using the orange carbon 456. And as an added bonus I now have two 14inch Saracen Zen frames !!!!!!!
    20130406_133036_zps79644a31.jpg
    20130406_133112_zpsd5891a5d.jpg
    This Frame is 2013 18" yellow one ?

I don't know which one to choose between the 16 and 18 inches.

< measurements >
    height 5'11"(180.5cm)
    Inseam 80cm

< current bike image & specs >
    Untitled-1.jpg?type=w1
    seat tube : 17" (430mm)
    actual top tube : 570mm
    100mm fork, Reverb 380mm/125mm, 60mm stem, 740 riser bar

i think 18" frame seat tube just little big for me
    will assemble 160mm fork, Rock Shox Reverb 380mm/125mm
    For easily handle, i want to purchase 16" frame

i need some advice. 16" 18" frame user
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    lon 456 wrote:
    Neal_ wrote:

i wouldn't , wait till you want to remove it!!!

go hope or the on one mixer as they are shorter depth so you can still tap them out of the frame or reuse if need be after frame issues re paint etc .

only my 2p

pastey_boy wrote:
    JMcP92 wrote:
    I have had the dubious pleasure of trying to remove one and it was not easy and resulted in a very knackered lower cup.

I got the SSC headset as I thought the lower cup was a shorter depth than the On One headset! Oh well, if it ever needs removing it's likely going in the bin anyway and they're only £30ish
  • levolon
    yes the SS set work fine

my sons frame cracked after 6mth and after free replacement from on one , had to get a mixer as the SS one needed grips to remove it lol chewed it to buggery as it was so damn tight with no means to attack from top of frame !!

so in the unlikely event of frame issue you will need a new set , so a £40 bill for something you shouldn't have needed.

foresight eh it can save you a shilling or 2
  • Mr.Evil
    as you speak about headsets ...

for a tapered Talas 140, what do you think about the Cane Creek 40 Series (ZS44/30 - EC49/40) instead of a Superstar T2 or the On One Smoothie Mixer ?
  • MrPhil
    MrPhil Posts: 57
    Hope ones are on offer on CRC now for around £46 bargain ime
  • Has anyone ever done a long epic on a c456? I'm doing e c2c early next year and need advice on suitable tyres (skinny ones just don't look right on this bike) and panniers/racks for luggage. Don't think I've ever seen one with panniers on -can you get them to fit?
  • bumped this post for leythervegas..
    dan-abel wrote:
    I used a Seatpost Clamp Rack and panniers..

Had to use two empty plastic water bottles and cable ties to keep the panniers from flexing and rubbing the rear tyre..

When we got to our destination we left the rack and backpack behind, unwound the TALAS to 140 and hit the trails!

My girlfriend rides a Steel 456 Summer Season which had a Recon 351 (85-130mm travel) and did the same..

we had an amazing On-One Trip through France...

go back a few pages
  • Ceed
    Can anyone tell me what the BB height of the Carbon 456 is?

Obviously the is dependent on the fork length, so please specify that as well. (150mm Or 160mm is good)

Thanks in advance.
  • Mine is 348mm floor to centre bb with 150 foxes and 2.35 rubber
  • levolon
    after stripping my on one smoothie mixer today after it started sticking? its buggered , so much for sealed bearing ...

full of mud and all rusty and only a few mth old .... so not a fan of that £40 piece of junk head set

ordered the super star one which ill modify so i can remove it if need be and you can at least get new bearings "sealed ones at that"
  • lon 456 wrote:
    after stripping my on one smoothie mixer today after it started sticking? its buggered , so much for sealed bearing ...

full of mud and all rusty and only a few mth old .... so not a fan of that £40 piece of junk head set

ordered the super star one which ill modify so i can remove it if need be and you can at least get new bearings "sealed ones at that"
    No different the FSA one on my Trek though; I stripped and replaced the ball bearings.
  • aidieb
    aidieb Posts: 15
    My Smoothie has been good for the last 18mths, that's about 4,000 miles! cleaned it out & regreased it a couple of times, I do think that it is starting to get a little rough now though, New inners would be a good option!
    It could also depend on the preload you apply with the starnut bolt.
  • MrPhil
    Has anyone ever done a long epic on a c456? I'm doing e c2c early next year and need advice on suitable tyres (skinny ones just don't look right on this bike) and panniers/racks for luggage. Don't think I've ever seen one with panniers on -can you get them to fit?

Rode quite a few 80+ trips and 2 100+ on my old C456.

Used Maxxis for the off road tyres, Advantage, HR2, Ardent.

Llandegla trips...

Degla16thFeb2013_zps4e739b38.jpg

last2012ride.jpg

For road only riding I used Swalbe City Jet tyres 1.95 size.

100mileroosshhed_zpsc7cfbf70.jpg
  • Cheers mr Phil, that's some serious miles that mate! I'm not too far from you so I've done some of the same trails (delamere, llandegla) but I drove there in a car, not as fit as you obviously.

I've just got some conti x king 2.2 that I'm considering using for the c2c, hopefully they'll be a lot better on road than my current 2.4s.
  • MrPhil
    They should be fine mate, keep 40psi in them and you will be fine with drag.

Should join us at Delamere on Thursday at 6.30 for training :-)

Got this tomorrow on the Alpine 160...

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3302955
  • Mr.Evil
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Mr.Evil wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Heres one I built for a customer using a Saracen Zen as a donor bike. All the bits inc cables swapped straight over except the lower headset cup so a Hope bottom cup did the trick. Frame was £399, Saracen £499,Hope bottom cup £25. I'm building his mate the exact same bike using the orange carbon 456. And as an added bonus I now have two 14inch Saracen Zen frames !!!!!!!
    when you're done, can you post some pictures of the orange version :) ?
    I'm very interested in this color, but I haven't found yet a photo of a mounted orange frame ...
    Yeah no worries, should be done on monday. I have to say that both the orange and yellow frames look awesome in the flesh and I reckon both look good with white or black componentry.
    @pastey_boy
    there is any chance to see the assembled orange frame or you still have to finish the bike ?

thanks!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    MrPhil wrote:
    They should be fine mate, keep 40psi in them and you will be fine with drag.

Should join us at Delamere on Thursday at 6.30 for training :-)

Got this tomorrow on the Alpine 160...

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3302955

You did all that on an Alpine 160?! :shock: Are you a pro or something, that route looks mostly road work?!
  • MrPhil
    Sure did mate, rode that and more today, not pro mate just ride a hell of alot an I am used to ramping the miles in.

Was all road work on Maxxis 2.4 and 2.35 tyres, cat amongst the pigeons so to speak with the road group I ride with.

If you have the time for it and mind it goes easy. Keep hydrated (but do not over do it) and feed well, again eat around 1 hr before leaving.

Today I had breakfast albeit Maccys Double Sausage and egg meal with coffee at 7am, then at 11 I had a Bacon and egg batch/barm. Reason behind it was I was going with a slower group so use more calories when slower imo. Then had 2 flap jacks at 55 miles and 70 miles. The magic 100 was cut short due to my frame splitting :-(

Few mates have offered to let me use bikes etc but I am going to build up an old GT frame to keep at it.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Fair play then! I thought I was pretty fit, but wouldn't dream of doing all that on the road on huge tyres :lol:
  • MrPhil
    Cheers lawman, here's the blog from today....

http://palefishbikes.blogspot.co.uk/

So so tempted to do a C456 build again.
  • Good read that Phil, keep going on your mountain bike pal, don't go to the dark side!
  • MrPhil
    No chance at my size haha