SCR Caps for winter - Arrived!

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
2 things have happened in my cycling life recently. 1 I've converted to cycling caps when riding. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes and the bill is great of blocking out rain/low sun. Unfortunately cotton caps hold onto the sweat so as the weather gets colder this isn't so great.

The 2nd thing is the discovery of Walz Caps. They're moisture wicking and available on eBay for around £15, so I'll be off to order one shortly.

Or will I? Looking around their website I can see that they do bulk discounts and also custom designs. Given we're always talking about getting something SCR related for people to wear, this could be the idea we've been looking for. Cost looks like being around $15-20 depending on volume and shipping.

I've got the artistic ability of a newt, so if someone could come up with a design, I'd be happy to sort out the rest. I was thinking of something monochromatic, e.g. the black 3 piece cap (white stripe) and then a SCR logo on the sides and bill. Possibly even "FCN" with a white box on the underside so that people can write in their FCN. Maybe.

So, if you're interested, stick your name down. If you've got a design idea, post it up! All not-for-profit, though if I do end up with any cash left over it will go to the Royal Marsden.

1 - Wrath Rob

UPDATE: Its definitely Walz caps and at around £12-13 plus UK postage. Figure may be higher or lower depending on the number of orders and any customs charges. If you want in then please add your details and the cap to the shared doc here
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    2 - Rubertoe

Been looking for a cap for a while.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Wrath Rob
    Make it a list and add your name to the bottom!

1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Glad you've seen the light! Prendas caps are great.

BTW when it comes to winter you're best off with a cap that covers your ears. The Rapha winter cap is very cosy and seems to wick well. (Although I don't cover mine with a helmet.)

A nice added bonus of cappage is this - if the peak stops dripping sweat then:

a) you need to drink more or...
    b) you need to push harder.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Wrath Rob wrote:

1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
    3 - Koncordski

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • If you are sourcing caps, could you get one for DDD's wife? Save him having to take responsibility for family planning like :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
    3 - Koncordski
    4 - Pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    tetm wrote:
    Just ordered one of those. However, no SCR customisation!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'd be up for a cap! Something in red/black/white or any combination of those colours please :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cap 6?

Could be up for one of these
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wrath Rob
    Stick your names on the list please. Next offender gets no cap.

1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
    3 - Koncordski
    4 - tetm
    5 - notsoblue
    6 - JonGinge
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
    3 - Koncordski
    4 - Pangolin
    5 - TETM
    6 - notsoblue
    7 - JonGinge
    8 - Willy b

Like this idea a lot!

Design wise, I like the idea of a simple design, black/grey/white type thing. Like you say SCR on the bill would be cool. Maybe some old style writing? Like to point out i'm also not very creative...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lists?! What is this, LFGSS?
      1 - Wrath Rob 2 - Rubertoe 3 - Koncordski 4 - Pangolin 5 - TETM 6 - notsoblue 7 - JonGinge 8 - Willy b 9 - dhope
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Would love to, but I've got a drawer full of Prendas caps and I've just ordered a couple of Giro Merino winter caps.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    willy b wrote:
    Like this idea a lot!

Design wise, I like the idea of a simple design, black/grey/white type thing. Like you say SCR on the bill would be cool. Maybe some old style writing? Like to point out i'm also not very creative...

Yup I started wearing them recently when I got 3 free from Vermarc. All team ones though so hard to match with kit :D

Rapha design looks nice

UK_51_1_3--220-220.jpg
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Asprilla wrote:
    Would love to, but I've got a drawer full of Prendas caps and I've just ordered a couple of Giro Merino winter caps.
    You can never have too many caps.

Edit: Oh, and what sizes area available, Rob? The only ones that fit my melon properly are the LMNH ones.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    British suppliers? Seems odd to have to go to the US for this sort of thing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Pangolin - That kind of thing looks cool!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    dhope wrote:
      1 - Wrath Rob 2 - Rubertoe 3 - Koncordski 4 - Pangolin 5 - TETM 6 - notsoblue 7 - JonGinge 8 - Willy b 9 - dhope 10 - cyclingprop
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    dhope wrote:
      1 - Wrath Rob 2 - Rubertoe 3 - Koncordski 4 - Pangolin 5 - TETM 6 - notsoblue 7 - JonGinge 8 - Willy b 9 - dhope 10 - cyclingprop 11 - Sketchley

Been thinking of getting a cap to wear under helmet to stop "smelly helmet" I'm in assuming these go ok under a helemt that is......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
      1 - Wrath Rob 2 - Rubertoe 3 - Koncordski 4 - Pangolin 5 - TETM 6 - notsoblue 7 - JonGinge 8 - Willy b 9 - dhope 10 - cyclingprop 11 - Sketchley 12 - Greg T
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
      1 - Wrath Rob 2 - Rubertoe 3 - Koncordski 4 - Pangolin 5 - TETM 6 - notsoblue 7 - JonGinge 8 - Willy b 9 - dhope 10 - cyclingprop 11 - Sketchley 12 - Greg T 13 - Asprilla
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    Like this idea a lot!

Yup I started wearing them recently when I got 3 free from Vermarc. All team ones though so hard to match with kit :D

Rapha design looks nice

UK_51_1_3--220-220.jpg

It does but I have a big head so while it fits my wife it doesn't fit me.... hurrph
  • pangolin
    How many do we need for a bulk order?

@ Sketchley almost any cap would fit under a helmet fine as long as you don't already just barely fit into it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    1 - Wrath Rob
    2 - Rubertoe
    3 - Koncordski
    4 - Pangolin
    5 - TETM
    6 - notsoblue
    7 - JonGinge
    8 - Willy b
    9 - dhope
    10 - cyclingprop
    11 - Sketchley
    12 - Greg T
    13 - Asprilla
    14 - ToeKnee
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Wrath Rob
    Rolf F wrote:
    British suppliers? Seems odd to have to go to the US for this sort of thing.
    I'm not wedded to them, its just the first manufacturer that I've seen that produce what I'm after. Just had a quick look at Shutt and they only do a cotton cap (for £25). Vulpine have something more along the lines that I'm looking for, but £25 before any customisation. Happy to give them a call to see if there's anything they can do, but its likely to end up at 2-3 times the price of the US offering.

Please let me know if you can find someone this side of the pond who can do a wicking cap for a reasonable price that we can customise.
  • pangolin
    Ah ok had a look at pricing

http://www.walzcaps.com/walz_custom_pricing.pdf

From my completely uninformed opinion it seems like silk screen is the way to go?

$30 set up fee if it's just 1 colour logo (white logo on black cap for example).

$15 per cap if there are 12-23 caps.

$12.50 per cap if there are 24-149 caps.

So we already have enough for an order. Looks like we should aim to get 24 people involved if possible.

Just over $17 each with 14 of us, or $13.75 if there are 24.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sketchley
    pangolin wrote:
    Just over $17 each with 14 of us, or $13.75 if there are 24.

13.75 US dollars = 8.5345 British pounds sterling
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Wrath Rob
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    You can never have too many caps.

Edit: Oh, and what sizes area available, Rob? The only ones that fit my melon properly are the LMNH ones.
    Cap styles and sizing guide at http://www.walzcaps.com/caps_moisturewi ... panel.html

While I'd like to order a variety of styles/sizes, I can see where that will go. I'd rather pick 1 or at the most 2 styles (e.g. black with white stripe, white with black stripe). Once you combine size and styles that would be 4 options. Letting you lot have open season on their entire stock would end up being a nightmare to track!
  • sketchley
    http://gearclub.co.uk/product_info.php? ... cts_id=308

37.jpg

Product #: Cap
    Price: £4.50
    Description:
    Cap
    Fabic: 100% Polyester Fully printable with your design
    Your design, Your logo printed
    --