Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I suppose the question you have to ask is whether you spend MORE time on shaving when you can or LESS time. Personally, the idea of doing something theoretically unnecessary every day is mind-blowingly dull - life's far too short. I love the fact that with an electric razor I can wander around and do other stuff. Horses for courses of course - I'm just keen to understand a topic I really haven't given a lot of thought to.

You're absolutely right. So why on earth would you want to ride a bike when you could see the same sights in half the time in a car, or if you want the fresh air then on a motorcycle? Why go to all the trouble of reading a full book when you can get the Readers Digest concise version or just listen to Stephen Fry or some other luvvie warbling it in the background whilst you drive somewhere?

Why bother having any kind of hairstyle? Just clipper it off every few weeks, save on all that wasted time drying it and styling it.

etc. etc.

Not that you've got any vested interest, obviously.

Well, of course I have a vested interest - I've been completely up front about it and that I'm looking to learn about blade users.

Cycling has the triple benefit of being fun, getting you fit and keeping the weight off. That's why I don't drive. I have more time for cycling because I use an electric razor and I'm out of the house 10 minutes quicker.

Now, if you just said (like others have) that you find wet-shaving with a blade is pleasant or whatever, that's perfectly reasonable. I don't understand it but then I don't understand why some people like celery or certain types of jazz music. To say electric shaving is "shoot" and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist doesn't help me much.

I don't bother styling my hair but I do trim my beard to a shade over stubble length (not so easy with any form of blade).

I have said that. I have said that it gives me a much smoother shave, is much better for my skin, significantly better value. You and your vested interests (I'm particularly amused by the "our latest is so smooth that I use it to trim a beard") came to the party rather late.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I've just got our latest high-end razor and I struggle to think you can get a smoother shave (I certainly never achieved it with a blade).

I'm sure it's a great shaver, but for those of us without an employee discount, it's probably the best part of £300.

That's a lot of 2p blades for no real extra benefit.

And you probably need to replace the heads every couple of years at £60 a pop.

Personally, I don't mind spending 10-15 minutes every weekday having a decent wet shave, or experimenting with different 'product'. It doesn't take me very long to shower and make myself look presentable so this is a nice little luxury. I guess I wouldn't be afforded the same peace and privacy if I was using an electric razor. Mrs WBW spends considerably longer 'bathroom-time' and she might argue that compared to me it shows.

As an Apple-devotee, I may need to try that new i-mmac :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've just got our latest high-end razor and I struggle to think you can get a smoother shave (I certainly never achieved it with a blade).

I'm sure it's a great shaver, but for those of us without an employee discount, it's probably the best part of £300.

That's a lot of 2p blades for no real extra benefit.

You certainly don't need to pay anything like that even for the top-end shaver but your general point is taken. To a large extent you're paying for convenience - that's one of the key benefits. Blades are 2p but what's 5-10 minutes of your life every day worth? But I absolutely accept that if you find it pleasurable then the convenience isn't of value.

IPL (intense pulsed light) is getting more and more popular with the ladies because it effectively stops hair growth for many months. Again, the devices are expensive compared to other methods but the convenience is very high.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • IPL (intense pulsed light) is getting more and more popular with the ladies because it effectively stops hair growth for many months.

That must be why I'm getting thin on top - It's all those bl00dy cyclists with their intensely pulsing lights.

Anyway, in these parts I reckon ladies are less interested in IPL than they are in VPL.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    I have said that. I have said that it gives me a much smoother shave, is much better for my skin, significantly better value. You and your vested interests (I'm particularly amused by the "our latest is so smooth that I use it to trim a beard") came to the party rather late.

I'm amused that you're so hung up on my "vested interest" - it's a small part of a cycling discussion forum not a government policy committee. Any vested interest I might have is going to be poorly served in this thread. My position on electric shaving hasn't changed in the last 30+ years - it's only recently (late to the "party") have I become interested in why people still wet shave in this day and age. I'm surprised (but educated) that people find it enjoyable. That's a great insight. If I got into making dishwashers, I'd be interested in why people wash up by hand.

To clarify (because the possibility seems to have escaped you), I only have a partial beard and, even then, only some of the time. I always shave - just the area of my face that I shave changes. The bits I don't shave, I keep short with the beard trimmer. That's part of the convenience served. Given that facial hair for men is very on trend at the moment, it makes beard trimmers very popular.

I can tell you're very protective of your wet shaving and that's fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    IPL (intense pulsed light) is getting more and more popular with the ladies because it effectively stops hair growth for many months.

That must be why I'm getting thin on top - It's all those bl00dy cyclists with their intensely pulsing lights.

I feel a helmet debate coming on.... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    To a large extent you're paying for convenience - that's one of the key benefits. Blades are 2p but what's 5-10 minutes of your life every day worth?
    I always thought this. The old Remington adverts with Victor "I bought the company" Kiam and the promise of your money back if it wasn't as close as a blade were relying on it. The aim of the ad was to get people to try an electric. Once they'd got it they hoped users would find it more convenient and stick with it, they never thought it would shave as close as a blade, that was just the hook.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    I never found a good way of trimming my beard...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    To a large extent you're paying for convenience - that's one of the key benefits. Blades are 2p but what's 5-10 minutes of your life every day worth?
    I always thought this. The old Remington adverts with Victor "I bought the company" Kiam and the promise of your money back if it wasn't as close as a blade were relying on it. The aim of the ad was to get people to try an electric. Once they'd got it they hoped users would find it more convenient and stick with it, they never thought it would shave as close as a blade, that was just the hook.

Yes - I'm sure that was true. These days, I'd say it was too close to call on a good electric razor. And, even then, I'd say that a close shave is only transitory (as I think you noted with your evening shaving).

Even if I saved only 5 minutes a day I would have over two months more living time so far in my life. Now, I've spent no more that £500 on shaving gear in that time (probably considerably less). If someone had offered me two more months for £500 (which assumes badger brushes, shaving soap, razor blades and handles etc cost nothing), I think I'd have bitten their hand off. But I don't enjoy shaving, electric shavers have never given me skin issues (unlike blade) and I've always been entirely happy with the quality of the shave (and, until recently, I used a competitor brand - just to be entirely transparent). But that's just me. YMMV
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Wet shave hardly takes a long time with a normal 'high street' razor. Like I said, 3 minutes.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yes - I'm sure that was true. These days, I'd say it was too close to call on a good electric razor. And, even then, I'd say that a close shave is only transitory (as I think you noted with your evening shaving).

Even if I saved only 5 minutes a day I would have over two months more living time so far in my life. Now, I've spent no more that £500 on shaving gear in that time (probably considerably less). If someone had offered me two more months for £500 (which assumes badger brushes, shaving soap, razor blades and handles etc cost nothing), I think I'd have bitten their hand off. But I don't enjoy shaving, electric shavers have never given me skin issues (unlike blade) and I've always been entirely happy with the quality of the shave (and, until recently, I used a competitor brand - just to be entirely transparent). But that's just me. YMMV

Apart from an early youthful daliance with electric which irritated my skin, I've always wet shaved with gillettes finest multi blade until a few month ago when inspired by a BR wet shaving thread I went down the DE razor route.

I don't see it as time wasted or time saved , to me there is a certain pleasure in 3 lather ups and shaves with a DE, plus you get the best shave there is and no skin irritation, I've never had my face feel as good.

Yes beards might be trendy, but a) that's not for all of us and b) it's just a passing fad, flares come back every few decades as well and their shit too. :D

The biggest benefit however is my missus no longer steals my razor for doing her legs or bikini line as she shit scared of cutting herself with it. :D:D:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I don't use an electric razor, because to be honest, I don't like the feel of the shave.

I used to be in management with a major electrical retailer, and got every type of shaver to try at one time or another. Philips, Remington, Braun, Foil types, Rotary types, and every one of them left me feeling like I hadn't really had a shave, but with a rash on my neck.

I'll stick with DE wet shaving thanks.

Andy
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I swapped my single blade for a spatula. And shaving foam for Veet.
  • A quick honourable mention for:

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/

Quite quick, quite reasonable, free delivery. Yes, yes, all very nice however let's get to the point - they included three very nice chunks of vanilla fudge with my order. I feel I've found the Wiggle of shaving. :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The whole point of a wet shave with a DE is that it takes time. I see it as quiet time. When I'm inside the bathroom, door shut, the World is mine and that time is mine. It is only brief, you probably couldn't do anything meaningful with it other than to shave and think sweet nothings.

Wash, dry my face, wrap a towel around me, open the door and its "Daddy play, daddy fix, daddy can you take us to... daddy, daddy daddy daddy" I smile, agree to all the demands and think blissfully of the next time I get to shave the World away.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    Now that the arguments are finished.......
    A brief summary of 21 pages.
    What is the best soap, brush and blades?

My packs of Mach 3 are running out and I like the idea of trying the alternative method.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edwin jagger DE something. Get the textured handle (rather than the polished one).

Derby blades

mitchells wool fat soap

any brush for now
  • pblakeney
    edwin jagger DE something. Get the textured handle (rather than the polished one).

Derby blades

mitchells wool fat soap

any brush for now
    Thanks,
    I was looking at the EJ 3D Laser Diamond, a sample pack of blades (happens to include the Derby) and a Badger 100 brush but wasn't sure on soap.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That would work. I have the barley handle. For now I am using a synthetic brush and it's fine
  • edwin jagger DE something. Get the textured handle (rather than the polished one).

Derby blades

mitchells wool fat soap

any brush for now
    Thanks,
    I was looking at the EJ 3D Laser Diamond, a sample pack of blades (happens to include the Derby) and a Badger 100 brush but wasn't sure on soap.

All good choices, I'm sure you'll find them a revelation. Badger brushes are better than boar, but the Muhle synthetic ones are meant to be excellent too.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203

My packs of Mach 3 are running out and I like the idea of trying the alternative method.

I would agree with the above recommendations, apart from the blades. I never liked Derbys. Astra SPs, (Special platinum,) are IMHO perfect blades for the beginner to wet shaving, very forgiving and comfortable whilst still giving a close shave. Only drawback I find is they don't last as long as some, but they are really cheap so that's not important.

The most important thing when switching from a cartridge is to use MUCH less pressure when shaving. Pretty much just the weight of the razor.

With all of the above, apart from possible the last bit, it's all personal preference, and depends on your skin/beard etc.

Andy
  • pblakeney

I would agree with the above recommendations, apart from the blades. I never liked Derbys. Astra SPs, (Special platinum,) are IMHO perfect blades for the beginner to wet shaving, very forgiving and comfortable whilst still giving a close shave. Only drawback I find is they don't last as long as some, but they are really cheap so that's not important.

The most important thing when switching from a cartridge is to use MUCH less pressure when shaving. Pretty much just the weight of the razor.

With all of the above, apart from possible the last bit, it's all personal preference, and depends on your skin/beard etc.

Andy
    Cheers! I will be careful. :|
    Orders placed. 8)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Badger brushes are better than boar

I have both a badger and a boar and can't say that I agree. Both work well; the badger is softer but the boar (now that it is well and truly broken in) is fine and better with properly hard soaps, like MWF. Last but not least, the boar cost me £4.80 in order to give it a try (from here) and, despite the handle being less than ideal, I've felt no desire to "upgrade".

Horses for courses.

_
  • Badger brushes are better than boar

I have both a badger and a boar and can't say that I agree. Both work well; the badger is softer but the boar (now that it is well and truly broken in) is fine and better with properly hard soaps, like MWF. Last but not least, the boar cost me £4.80 in order to give it a try (from here) and, despite the handle being less than ideal, I've felt no desire to "upgrade".

Horses for courses.

_

Boar is certainly stiffer, and due to the nature of the fibers, doesn't hold water as well as badger (solid vs. hollow fibers) meaning that the lather produced will usually take more effort. Mine was worn in just in time to lose the majority of its hairs. I may have been unlucky though. Definitely cheaper for the boar ones.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've had a Edwin Jagger Badger Hair Brush, it fell apart. So I bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3293005683?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Superb.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Andy

I'm so please you added that bit in at the end. I was astounded at the difference in feel of the many different blades so consider it essential for a "newbie" to get a variety pack of blades from the Traditional Shaving Company or somewhere similar and try them all. I wouldn't give you tuppence for your preferred Astra SP (which I found far too delicate, prone to damage and also nicks) but found yellow Gillette and Wilkinson Sword Black to be perfect. WS seem to last forever as well - to the point where I can't see me ever using up the 10 packs I bought in a multi-pack deal.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    So I ve gotten the hang of this now. What would y'all consider to be a good "upgrade" from my Parker 90R TTO razor that came with my Bluebeard Starter Pack? I'd like something a smidge more aggressive if possible
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    A quick honourable mention for:

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/

Quite quick, quite reasonable, free delivery. Yes, yes, all very nice however let's get to the point - they included three very nice chunks of vanilla fudge with my order. I feel I've found the Wiggle of shaving. :)
    Top trumps. Not only did I get 3 chunks of fudge, I also got a free pack of Derby blades!
    A query on the blades.
    I noticed that the Derby ones have numbers 1-4 on them.
    Is this an indicator? Use once each way, 4 times total per blade?

A mini Review.

I rather enjoyed spending the time and process but will stick to the Mach 3s for a morning rush.
    I used a Derby as I have the most of them. My face felt good, and still does, but it was a touch abrasive on my neck.
    I am willing to accept bad technique as a reason being my first time but at the same time, it will be interesting to compare blades.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    A query on the blades.
    I use each number twice. If you are very hairy once may suffice. Sometimes you get one that isn't quite as sharp and I only use it once as it doesn't feel right. But the other side is fine.
  • pblakeney
    A query on the blades.
    I use each number twice. If you are very hairy once may suffice. Sometimes you get one that isn't quite as sharp and I only use it once as it doesn't feel right. But the other side is fine.
    Fine hair. As is evidenced by the lack up top. :wink:
    So that basically means I have 3 years (weekend use) worth of blades! :shock:
    Veronese68 wrote: