Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I use Arko. Has a lovely citrus tang to it!
  • Jeepie wrote:
    I use Arko. Has a lovely citrus tang to it!
    I've tried that too, and the Derby version of it - but they were both quite drying compared to Mitchell's. I'd really recommend it for those of a sensitive disposition.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks UE. Any one in particular? There seem to be many at wild prices. Any stockists in London to check the scent?
  • It's the bog-standard shave puck I go for:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/mitchells- ... AgQ#rating

As for London stockists? No idea. It's not a bad smell, though. Smells like soap, really, with a hint of geranium.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    For my fortieth birthday MrsEKE bought me a Dovo cut-throat razor and a shaving kit from Taylors (strop, oil, badger brush and shaving cream). I already had a razor but this one is so much better, I had gone back to using my Mach 3 but this new razor and improved technique (fostered by using my old razor) has made shaving with this new razor a joy. A much closer shave than with a Mach 3 but without the nicks and no ingrown hairs.

I've just got to get the time for my shaving routine* down from half an hour now!

*wrap hot towel on face to soften beard, soak brush and whip up a lather in a bowl, light strop of razor, lather face, shave with the grain, relather face, shave across the grain, splash face with cold water, dry face and apply post-shave oil, clean bowl and brush, clean and dry razor, full strop.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've never understood why it's called a "cut-throat" razor, when surely its the last thing you want to do?

It's like having a burn-yourself iron or a crash car.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • EKE_38BPM
    elbowloh wrote:
    I've never understood why it's called a "cut-throat" razor, when surely its the last thing you want to do?

It's like having a burn-yourself iron or a crash car.
    It is more properly called a straight razor but if you wanted to cut someone's throat, I guess there ain't many better tools for the job.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    It's the bog-standard shave puck I go for:

As for London stockists? No idea. It's not a bad smell, though. Smells like soap, really, with a hint of geranium.
    Did I read somewhere up thread that it wasn't very good with hard water? Probably not a problem for you UE.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Did I read somewhere up thread that it wasn't very good with hard water? Probably not a problem for you UE.
    I've used it on my occasional forays darn sarf and on trips to the Bay Area in California, both hard-water areas. Never found it hard to lather. That said, it's a strange one even up here, there's nothing seems to start foaming on the puck, then it goes mental once you start on you palm. Huge amounts of lovely, soft foam for very little effort.
  • EKE_38BPM
    ...there's nothing seems to start foaming on the puck, then it goes mental once you start on you palm. Huge amounts of lovely, soft foam for very little effort.
    Could it be a temperature thing? Maybe the warmth from your palm kick starts the foaming?
    [tart]I've started using a warm bowl so that I get warm foam.[/tart]

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Veronese68 wrote:

I've used it on my occasional forays darn sarf and on trips to the Bay Area in California, both hard-water areas. Never found it hard to lather. That said, it's a strange one even up here, there's nothing seems to start foaming on the puck, then it goes mental once you start on you palm. Huge amounts of lovely, soft foam for very little effort.
    Ta, might give it a go then. I've been using Truefitt & Hill No10 which is ok, but fancied something new.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...there's nothing seems to start foaming on the puck, then it goes mental once you start on you palm. Huge amounts of lovely, soft foam for very little effort.
    Could it be a temperature thing? Maybe the warmth from your palm kick starts the foaming?
    I tend to have the brush in very hot water before I start, perhaps it's the amount of agitation? Anyway, lovely soap - I regretted the last time I tried a different one, so that's me for life.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Good to see this thread still going.

Update on my shaving.

Still using the Edwin Jagger DE which I got xmas 2013.

After making up a mixed purchase of many different types of blades, I have settled on Feathers for my day to day shave. just shows how much experience and technique help, because the first time I tried them my face looked like a butcher's shop. I also like Astra Super platinum, which are much more forgiving and I would recommend for beginners, but don't last anything like as long. I comfortably get 10 days out of a Feather, and only 3 from an Astra.

Other stuff. Soap, I used La Toja sticks, (Spanish make, Under 2.00 euros from just about any local supermarket out here,) but recently switched to Porassa Menthol which is lovely. :(

Day to day I use 2 passes, one with and one across the grain, but for super smooth I'll add a third pass against the grain.

Been DE shaving since xmas 2013, still love it, still turns what was a daily chore into a pleasure.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Amen to that. Wouldn't say it's changed my life, but in a way it has - just like cycling to work did all those years ago! I get an amazing shave every single day....

I'm using a DE89 too.
    Magibob wrote:
    Good to see this thread still going.

Update on my shaving.

Still using the Edwin Jagger DE which I got xmas 2013.

After making up a mixed purchase of many different types of blades, I have settled on Feathers for my day to day shave. just shows how much experience and technique help, because the first time I tried them my face looked like a butcher's shop. I also like Astra Super platinum, which are much more forgiving and I would recommend for beginners, but don't last anything like as long. I comfortably get 10 days out of a Feather, and only 3 from an Astra.

Other stuff. Soap, I used La Toja sticks, (Spanish make, Under 2.00 euros from just about any local supermarket out here,) but recently switched to Porassa Menthol which is lovely. :(

Day to day I use 2 passes, one with and one across the grain, but for super smooth I'll add a third pass against the grain.

Been DE shaving since xmas 2013, still love it, still turns what was a daily chore into a pleasure.
  • Merkur 34c (from memory) for me... been using it for about 3 years and love it (although I still do *not* love shaving!) :P

Found my old Mach 3 recently and used it again... and I have to say it was a revelation! :shock:

Okay, so it's only to shave my head, rather than my face, but it's so much faster than the DE razor so I guess I'll be utilising it until I run out of blades for it (basically the stupid cost of these was why I moved to wet shaving in the first place!).
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I tend to have the brush in very hot water before I start, perhaps it's the amount of agitation? Anyway, lovely soap - I regretted the last time I tried a different one, so that's me for life.

Don't forget water softness being a big modifier of foam production.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Another Edwin Jagger DE89 convert here. Bought on recommendations in this thread and used most days since. A few months ago a bought a stainless steel IKON with bulldog handle which is a thing of beauty and gives a much more aggressive shave. I now use the IKON on Mondays after generally not shaving over the weekend, then on alternate days with the DE89. N+1 doesn't just apply to bikes you know. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    reading this thread makes me want to lose the hipster beard just cos I feel like I'm missing out...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    and as of today (or whenever the new kit is delivered) I will be a DE razor thanks to the Bluebeards revenge Starter kit!

I am really too excited about this?!?
    - @ddraver
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Since I now work for one of the world's largest and best-known electric shaving companies (and as a life-long electric shaver myself), I'm intrigued as to why you lot go to all this bother EVERY day :shock: Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's for a "nice close shave" though, given the rate hair grows, this is temporary at best (far more temporary than nicks and cuts).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Because electric shavers are shit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    Since I now work for one of the world's largest and best-known electric shaving companies (and as a life-long electric shaver myself), I'm intrigued as to why you lot go to all this bother EVERY day :shock: Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's for a "nice close shave" though, given the rate hair grows, this is temporary at best (far more temporary than nicks and cuts).

1 - I don't need to be clean shaven every day really - one of the benefits of working in science. I have never had a shave from an electric shaver that was close to good. Usually it just left me just as hairy but rubbed red raw

2 - One of the best bits about having a beard was going to the barbers to get it trimmed or treating myself to some Beard shampoo followed by beard moisturiser etc and a comb. Clean shaven i no longer have this excuse to man-pamper myself and - yeah - I miss it. This will (I'm assured by this thread) replace it.

3 - I have just ordered a new razor, 20 blades, soap, brush and bowl for - and i'm not kidding - double what a cost of multi blade cartridges would have cost. It is surely madness to keep buying them.
    - @ddraver
  • Since I now work for one of the world's largest and best-known electric shaving companies (and as a life-long electric shaver myself), I'm intrigued as to why you lot go to all this bother EVERY day :shock: Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's for a "nice close shave" though, given the rate hair grows, this is temporary at best (far more temporary than nicks and cuts).

I shave every other day. In the morning in our house it's bedlam, with three kids to chase round to get to school, lunches to make and a dog to see to. The days I don't shave, my blood pressure goes through the roof.

The days I do shave, all of the above is done by Mrs. Elephant while I spend a serene 15 minutes lathering, shaving and repeat. Why on earth would I want to make this shining tranquil moment shorter and less pleasant? Real shaving has no nicks or cuts.

At no point do I think to myself, "Oh yes, this would be much nicer if there was an incessant buzzing noise and I kept pinching my chin!"
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Because electric shavers are shoot.

Good scientific reason, then.... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I started with an electric shaver, which caused a lot of skin irritation, before switching to a cartridge razor and a can of goo. This reduced the irritation and, some years later, switching to a soap bowl and brush reduced it close to zero. A few years ago I changed to a DE razor (predominantly due to the cost of cartridges) and I can finally shave everyday without any skin problems.

I still use a cartridge when flying only with hand luggage and what I've learnt from DE shaving means I get a better shave with that than I used to but there's no way I would go back - and certainly not to an electric shaver. And, as has been said before, once you've learnt the skill, cuts and nicks are a fairly rare occurrence - and easily dealt with when they do occur.

_
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Always got skin irritation from shaving whether with a blade, cartridge or electric...

I've had a beard for the last 5 years...before it got trendy ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • When I do shave, it`s an Edwin Jagger DE and feather blades. Proraso soap and after shave.

The only other lotions I use are Old Spice, and Brut 33.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Because electric shavers are shoot.

Good scientific reason, then.... :wink:

Why waste bandwidth on all their faults and flaws? They're a crap solution to a problem that didn't exist.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    How many of y'all are still using your full on shaver kit 2.5 years or so on then?
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Me.