Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    So about to dip the toes into the water, so to speak. No proper shops near me sell DE shaving stuff, so it's all online ordering.
    Thinking Merkur 34C, which caught my eye last time, and then a bunch of different blades. Does that still sound about right?

Yep, it's a good shout. You can generally get a "variety pack" of different blades to find a make that suits your skin.

I would also try a couple of different soaps/balms too, and would probably recommend going the whole hog (pun-tastic) on a badger-hair brush too. The soaps last for ever in my experience, to the point where I can't actually see if I would ever need to buy any more in my lifetime....

Edit: Meant to say I got the Edwin Jagger DE89 razor. I suspect they're much of a muchness.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,575
    So about to dip the toes into the water, so to speak. No proper shops near me sell DE shaving stuff, so it's all online ordering.
    Thinking Merkur 34C, which caught my eye last time, and then a bunch of different blades. Does that still sound about right?
    Good plan, and what I did. I found a couple of sample packs that didn't double up too much. Tried the blades on a knockout type test to find my preference. That "little" test took nigh on 2 years to work through. You will be surprised at the differences and everyone is different so no point in asking for recommendations.
    Once I found my favourite I managed to source a pack of 500 for £25. That should last a while! :lol:

PS - One full 7 shave week per blade definitely, 2 weeks works, not went for 3 weeks yet. And I find Proraso Menthol soap & balm perfectly adequate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good plan, and what I did. I found a couple of sample packs that didn't double up too much. Tried the blades on a knockout type test to find my preference. That "little" test took nigh on 2 years to work through. You will be surprised at the differences and everyone is different so no point in asking for recommendations.
    Once I found my favourite I managed to source a pack of 500 for £25. That should last a while! :lol:

PS - One full 7 shave week per blade definitely, 2 weeks works, not went for 3 weeks yet. And I find Proraso Menthol soap & balm perfectly adequate.

Wot he said! Blade selection is very personal and you'll recognise the right one as soon as you feel it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    3 weeks per blade!!?

Yep, that's 5 shaves a week as well (and a weekend shave if I have to - as prescribed by MrsLBS). I use the WS black blades, Proraso pre-shave cream, Taylors shaving soap and they are just sharp for ever. I still feel guilty chucking them away then as they are still doing a great job!

FFS don't tell Wilkinson Sword or they'll go down the Gillette route of making them to last about 4 shaves - which is what I was getting from my previous favourite 7 o'clock Sharp Edge.
    I'd say I'm going to have to try some of those blades, but I still have about 18 months supply of Derby blades to get through and I doubt I'll remember by then. I reckon get about 8 shaves out of a blade.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    FWIW, have moved from penhaligon's soap to Dr Harris (both as presents ,before anyone gets shirty with my choice).

Worlds apart. Blows my mind how well Dr Harris lathers with so little soap.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Went with a knurled DE89 menthol starter kit from shave lounge in the end. 25 blades of various types, Proraso menthol soap, and synthetic brush & some alum sticks.
    Now to find a suitable mug to mix the lather in.. (yes yes, proper bowls, but a mug will do to start)
    I've completely run out of squirty gel stuff and the disposable / mach3 safety razors, so full transition this weekend.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    Alerted to this thread by WB above.

First I have heard of DE razors, I realise that means double edged (I assume?) but what is different about them re your average single sided disposable cartridge razors - am I missing the obvious?

Ah or do you simply replace the blade\s within the 'head unit' such as it is?

Confused :?

Idiots guide anyone?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Alerted to this thread by WB above.

First I have heard of DE razors, I realise that means double edged (I assume?) but what is different about them re your average single sided disposable cartridge razors - am I missing the obvious? They have two edges.

Ah or do you simply replace the blade\s within the 'head unit' such as it is? Correct

Confused :?

Idiots guide anyone?

https://www.shaving-shack.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-double-edge-shaving-de-shaving-for-beginners/
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    Daniel B wrote:
    Yes, replaceable blades and with the money you save you can buy more cycling kit. £7.99 for 100 blades that will last me a couple of years.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Yes, replaceable blades and with the money you save you can buy more cycling kit. £7.99 for 100 blades that will last me a couple of years.

This. And significantly less single use plastic being used.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    Thankyou gents, will have a read :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    £25 for 500! :P
    That should last 20 years at one/fortnight. 8)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • davis
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    £25 for 500! :P
    That should last 20 years at one/fortnight. 8)

I don't seem to go through DE blades very quickly at all (shave after a shower, and use a razorpit). At current consumption rates I will never need to buy another blade...
  • wolfsbane2k
    What does anyone do about used blade storage?
  • pblakeney
    davis wrote:
    I don't seem to go through DE blades very quickly at all (shave after a shower, and use a razorpit). At current consumption rates I will never need to buy another blade...
    I tried to go for 3 weeks as mentioned up a few threads. I gave up after day 19 and this was confirmed as a good decision when using a new blade the next day. Fortnightly for me. Each to their own.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • davis

Storage? What are you on about man? I chuck the used ones in the recycling.
  • wolfsbane2k
    davis wrote:

My council states no bare razor blades in the recycling on grounds of safety, but requests they are taken to the skip.
    Searching online seems to be 'razor banks' where old blades can be stored until disposed of safely by thegoing the whole lot into the recycling together as it's a metal box with a hole in the top.
  • davis wrote:

My council states no bare razor blades in the recycling on grounds of safety, but requests they are taken to the skip.
    Searching online seems to be 'razor banks' where old blades can be stored until disposed of safely by thegoing the whole lot into the recycling together as it's a metal box with a hole in the top.

I have a Feather blade bank which is a little steel box that can be recycled when full of blades. Not fair on the poor buggers who sort the recycling to have sharps in amongst the rest.
  • wolfsbane2k
    I have a Feather blade bank which is a little steel box that can be recycled when full of blades. Not fair on the poor buggers who sort the recycling to have sharps in amongst the rest.

Yeah, that's the brand that's coming up the most.
  • davis
    davis wrote:

Is that actually a thing? From what little I remember (on some dross TV show), I thought all recycling was sorted with a big magnet as a first pass before humans got involved..
  • wolfsbane2k
    davis wrote:
    Is that actually a thing? From what little I remember (on some dross TV show), I thought all recycling was sorted with a big magnet as a first pass before humans got involved..

I guess if a blade is stuck underneath something non-metallic, then there isn't that much mass for a magnet to act upon, when it's expecting to work on things like cans.

Given how sharp they are, I'm happy to spend a fiver for a little extra "local" storage/safety, given it'll probably last 15 years or so...
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    The plastic box the feather blades come with have space underneath to put used blades in.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • wolfsbane2k
    Arsey wrote:
    The plastic box the feather blades come with have space underneath to put used blades in.
    Aye, they do, but it's also looks very easy for them to fall out.
  • Well, after 4 months of using a DE razer, i'll never, ever, go back.
    It's cost me absolute pittance compared to the usual gillete packs, and they quality of the shave is just so good, and since I've changed - and it's actually quicker now as well.

If you've not made the change, I really, recommend you look into it, which is one of the reasons I'm bumping this post...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well, after 4 months of using a DE razer, i'll never, ever, go back.
    It's cost me absolute pittance compared to the usual gillete packs, and they quality of the shave is just so good, and since I've changed - and it's actually quicker now as well.

If you've not made the change, I really, recommend you look into it, which is one of the reasons I'm bumping this post...

I changed years ago, best shaving move ever. Upgrade to a badger brush, much better than synthetic or boar.

And best shaving soap I've found is this stuff. Cheap and don't need a bowl.

https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/prora ... -soap-jar/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

I changed years ago, best shaving move ever. Upgrade to a badger brush, much better than synthetic or boar.

A proper stand is top of the xmas list, followed by a badger brush, but not sure either will be delivered. TBH I'm happy with the synthetic I've got though,

I've got the proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol one, came with the kit I bought - so, so nice...

This is where I started, nice for £35... https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de-sa ... t-menthol/
  • cooldad
    Pretty much what I started off with. Getting all the blades is a bonus, let's you find one you like.

All I've changed is my brush, and the soap, mine came with some fancy name but nowhere near as good.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pblakeney
    cooldad wrote:

A proper stand is top of the xmas list, followed by a badger brush, but not sure either will be delivered. TBH I'm happy with the synthetic I've got though,

I've got the proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol one, came with the kit I bought - so, so nice...

This is where I started, nice for £35... https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de-sa ... t-menthol/
    A word to the wise, try getting a stainless steel one instead of chrome. The coating chips off. Pretty much my route too except I started with a badger brush. Proraso matches the premium at a fraction IMO.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    What are peoples thoughts on the ethics of badger brushes? It seems almost all badger brush hair comes from China as a by-product of the badger-meat trade (popular in China I gather) and the animal welfare standards are pretty low to put it mildly. The fashion trade, which has historically not been great ethically, has largely moved away from fur, yet the use of badger fur for brushes seems to have been largely ignored.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • cooldad
    Probably are, but not buying a brush is not going to stop it if they eat the things.

Also.

In rural Northern China, badgers multiply to the point of becoming a crop nuisance, and village cooperatives are licensed by the national government to hunt badgers and sell the hair to processors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_brush
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools