Cut-throat shaving

1131415161719»

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yeah sorry - that is definitely true. Most of the nice ones would need a brush I guess. They're hardly bulky!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    cougie wrote:
    What's the best lather please - not keen on having a brush to clog up the bathroom cupboard with. Currently just using shower gel but it's not the latheriest.
    Just how small is your cupboard that it can't accommodate a brush? :? Seriously though, when travelling I just use whatever is on offer, Proraso given the choice. Most do a decent enough job. And yes, I do shave every day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's more that my wife's toiletries seem to increase on a daily basis - what they're all for I have no idea. Ta for the proraso tip I'll give that a go.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    My wife bought me a blade bin, which is ceramic and basically a money box that can't be emptied. It'll hold a couple hundred used blades so the £3 investment is hardly extreme. One of those money tins which you need a tin opener for might work, but I reckon it'll hold approximately one million used blades. Alternatively, most pharmacies could probably supply you with a sharps bin for a small fee.

Blade of choice is an Astra gold I think.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I use this razor

Merkur-Classic-Open-Comb-15C-Safety-Razor-Chrome.jpg

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132676-Merkur-Classic-Open-Comb-15C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284011072.html

and Derby blades.

Tried a few soaps, but not really noticed too many differences, probably prefer Proraso stuff. Currently using an Arko stick that came free with my last blades. Lathers well, but has a bit of toilet block sniff to it!

Good message board here

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Curious question - anyone who uses safety razors - are you shaving every day?

Yep, the days when I don't shave are the exception for me - when you get the hang of it, a two pass DE shave takes under 5 minutes and, unlike with cartridge razors, I don't get the irritation that makes me want to skip a day. If travelling with hand luggage only, I take a Mach 3 (though still use the same Palmolive cream and Omega brush as when travelling with the DE) and I will then only shave every other day as I otherwise get the shaving rash...

_
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I'm not a every day shaver, but then as a gaottee wearer, stubble isn't really as noticeable. Main reason I don't do it more often is habit caused by years or irritation caused by the cartridge ssytems.

Typicallly I shave Sunday night and Wednesday night.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    I only ask as I only find the irritation a problem when I shave after 2 or 3 days of growth, and I had a theory that people who devote enough time to shaving properly with a safety razor clearly aren't doing it half asleep as they try to run out the door before 6:20am.

I used Mach 3 for years but tried harry's the other day (it worked out significantly cheaper), and it's an awful lot better - much closer shave.

Main difference I found to how irritated your skin is is how long you have your face wet before you shave.
  • pblakeney
    I only ask as I only find the irritation a problem when I shave after 2 or 3 days of growth, and I had a theory that people who devote enough time to shaving properly with a safety razor clearly aren't doing it half asleep as they try to run out the door before 6:20am.
    Correct. As I rush out the door at 05:40 I shave at night. A proper shave means no 5 o'clock shadow, at 5 o'clock. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited August 2019
    Having read a few posts in this thread over many many many months I finally decided to give DE shaving a go. I've been nicking myself most shaves (I've probably shaved 10 times with it) but the last 2 shaves have been OK. I'm putting this down to probably using too much pressure and maybe getting the angle right. I'm finding I have to be much more gentle with the DE.

What I do like is the shave I get with it, nothing has ever shaved this well before. My question is, what difference does the actual razor make? I bought cheap to start with (Jagen David E01 for a tenner!) and want to know if I'm missing out on anything? My take on it was that that razor is purely aesthetics and feel, it's the blade that makes the difference. I've only tried one blade, the Derby Extra which seemed well recommended on here...£8 for 100.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For me there are only a couple of differences the razor can make:

1) some allow you to adjust the angle of the blade which can make things easier in terms of cuts.
    2) if the razor is heavier then you can use it's weight to cut rather than having to pull the razor across your face. Some recon this makes for an easier shave, though I reckon it might have the opposite effect when shaving up on your neck.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm loving this new routine. Proraso soap works really well and I'm sure it's much much cheaper than disposables.
    I've a tin for blades to go in so when that's full it will go to the recycling centre.

I feel almost like a grown up!
  • pblakeney
    FYI - Blades are very different and everyone has different experiences. I found the Derby cut me up. Try sampler packs to find the best for you.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    The razor will last you a very long time, even a lifetime. It's worth spending a few more quid for something that feels quality in your hand.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    meursault wrote:
    The razor will last you a very long time, even a lifetime. It's worth spending a few more quid for something that feels quality in your hand.
    My first didn't; I used to unscrew the handle a bit to be able to rinse it properly and after a couple of years the thread went so I had to buy a replacement. Anyone else get that? Murhle razor, replaced with the same model now just rinse as is.
  • CiB wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    My first didn't; I used to unscrew the handle a bit to be able to rinse it properly and after a couple of years the thread went so I had to buy a replacement. Anyone else get that? Murhle razor, replaced with the same model now just rinse as is.

Not sure of the model but when I was reading some reviews there was one where this was a recurring problem.

To be honest my one I got for a tenner is really good. It has a really decent weight to it, a nice knurled handle that has good grip with wet hands, and it's nice and shiny! (so far).
  • pblakeney
    CiB wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    I got an Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond, I strip the razor down and clean every time I replace a blade and have had no issues. @ 4 years old now, and shave daily....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    Yesterday I bought a gillette after about 5 years of this safety shaving stuff.

All I can say is it's a load of nonsense.

The gillette is quicker, smoother, closer shave and less irritation and zero nicks - but about 10x more expensive.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The gillette is quicker, smoother, closer shave and less irritation and zero nicks - but about 10x more expensive.

I went from years of safety razor shaving to a Mach 3/4/5 whatever after hacking myself to bits on Remembrance Sunday and looking like I was the battlefield from the Somme.

Went on Amazon, bought one of their loss leader starter packs - handle and maybe 13 heads - for £10/13 or something.

Lasts easily 7 months so cost isn't bad.

Never buy the packs of 5 at the supermarket - uttey extortionate.

The shave is as close, no nicks, no bleeding all over your posh uniform.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shirley_basso
    MattFalle said:

I went from years of safety razor shaving to a Mach 3/4/5 whatever after hacking myself to bits on Remembrance Sunday and looking like I was the battlefield from the Somme.

Went on Amazon, bought one of their loss leader starter packs - handle and maybe 13 heads - for £10/13 or something.

Lasts easily 7 months so cost isn't bad.

Never buy the packs of 5 at the supermarket - uttey extortionate.

The shave is as close, no nicks, no bleeding all over your posh uniform.
    I went through 4 shirts post-shave just getting to the office last week as I kept getting spots of blood on them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Regimental CO to OC: "Blimey, look at the state of your medic. I'd hate to see the state of the other bloke."

"I'll ask him to hide Sir"
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney

I've found the complete opposite, with the exception of the cost which is probably 20x. I got 500 blades for £25. The results are very blade dependent though. Some brands cut me to shreds. I found the sweet spot through sample packs.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Anyone want ~80 Astra Superior Platinum Double edge blades? I get on better with Feathers. Yours for a notional donation to charity.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Mach 3 for me. Blades from Wilko, currently 3 pound for 4 and they are good. Nivea sensitive shave gel is v.good.