Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• So I ve gotten the hang of this now. What would y'all consider to be a good "upgrade" from my Parker 90R TTO razor that came with my Bluebeard Starter Pack? I'd like something a smidge more aggressive if possible
    Upgrade you say?

The Mühle R41 is a renowned aggressive razor. In fact the original 2011 version was nicknamed "The Beast". In 2013, the apparently toned it down a bit, but by all accounts you still need great technique. It's the open comb that makes it more aggressive, but moves all of the shaving detritus away from the blade.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Fine hair. As is evidenced by the lack up top. :wink:
    So that basically means I have 3 years (weekend use) worth of blades! :shock:
    I bought 2 years supply of Derby blades, daily use, for £7.99. There's a lot to be said for old style shaving. :mrgreen:
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    A query on the blades.
    I noticed that the Derby ones have numbers 1-4 on them.
    Is this an indicator? Use once each way, 4 times total per blade?
    I use each number twice. If you are very hairy once may suffice. Sometimes you get one that isn't quite as sharp and I only use it once as it doesn't feel right. But the other side is fine.

it's never occurred to me to turn the blade over when using the same edge for a second time. Why does turning it over make any difference?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    A query on the blades.
    I noticed that the Derby ones have numbers 1-4 on them.
    Is this an indicator? Use once each way, 4 times total per blade?
    I use each number twice. If you are very hairy once may suffice. Sometimes you get one that isn't quite as sharp and I only use it once as it doesn't feel right. But the other side is fine.
    Fine hair. As is evidenced by the lack up top. :wink:
    So that basically means I have 3 years (weekend use) worth of blades! :shock:

Again, this is VERY blade dependent. I used Derby blades for a long time and found them good for four shaves maximum. I then did the "assortment pack" thing and found that the Gillette 7o'clock (yellow) were good for about the same but the Wilkinson Sword just go on for ever. I reckon I get at least ten shaves out of each blade and even then I'm changing because I'm thinking "I can't remember when I last changed a blade" rather than "ouch, that really isn't a good shave".
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Yep, it's all about the blades. Massive Astra fan here but also don't mind Feathers. Have to say that i only get 2, maximum 3, shaves out of a blade though (2 passes usually)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    A massive change of mind tonight.

I am now back down to 4 shaves per blade, maximum. Tonights shave was nowhere near as pleasurable. :x

Fresh side tomorrow, and also other manufacturers to try.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Re different sides of the blade. Nowadays I just shave 3 or 4 sweeps till the razor is all covered in foam on one side, then switch it round and use the other side for 3 or 4 sweeps, then rinse.

Blades. My recommendation for Astras was for beginners because of their lack of aggression.

Best thing is to get a mixed pack and try them all. I got about 8 different types of blade and worked through them in rotation. After around a year settled on Feathers and bought 100 of those.

Personal likes. Personna Med preps, Gillette Yellows Astras and feathers. I settled on feathers in the end because I get a good shave and one blade comfortably, (literally,) lasts me 10 or eleven days of daily 2 pass shaves. I get 2 days off a week, Wednesdays and Sunday so swap blades on days off.

I think it's important to try a variety of blades, and once you've tried them all once, try again in the rotation. First time I used Feathers, I hated them. I looked like a butchers shop window. Second time a couple of months later, my technique had improved and they were OK. Third time, I really liked them and bought 2 and a half years worth. :)
  • pblakeney
    Blades. My recommendation for Astras was for beginners because of their lack of aggression.
    Thanks for that. I did get a sample pack which included the Astras so I will try them next.
    I did find Wilkinson Swords more forgiving than the Derbys.
    I also have - Treets, Lords, Sharks and Gillette 7 O'Clocks.
    Any suggestions for an order? Gentle to aggressive.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Thanks for that. I did get a sample pack which included the Astras so I will try them next.
    I did find Wilkinson Swords more forgiving than the Derbys.
    I also have - Treets, Lords, Sharks and Gillette 7 O'Clocks.
    Any suggestions for an order? Gentle to aggressive.

Phew, Good question. Not tried Treets. Of the others, I would say Gillette 7 o'clocks before Lords and Sharks, but YMMV. I found lords to be strange. They almost pulled a bit and were noisy as the shaved, but not actually uncomfortable and gave a really smooth finish. The Gillette Yellows almost made it to be my bulk choice, Only just beaten by Feathers. If you don't llike one, go back to an Astra In between.

Whatever, enjoy the "You Time," and the fact that soon you can look down pityingly on cartridge shavers, and look down from a great height on Electrics. LOL. :D
  • ddraver
    OK, this is a very unscientific thing to do but I ll have a crack..IMO

Less Sharp_____________________________________________________________More Sharp
    Derby > Merkur > Timour > > > Shaving shack "israli" no name blades > Astras > > > Feathers

Remember that too sharp a blade or a blade insufficiently sharp for your personal beard will both give bad results. Also that the need for a sharper blade does in no way reflect masculinity ;)
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    Wow!
    If Derby is the least sharp then my technique needs a lot of work!
    I can definately relate to the thread title.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wow!
    I can definitely relate to the thread title.

It's not all about the sharpness. Different blades have a very, very different feel.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    Wow!

Or they re too blunt for your hair meaning you press harder, repeat more, get frustrated etc. Try Astras next
    - @ddraver
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    ddraver wrote:
    Wow!

Or they re too blunt for your hair meaning you press harder, repeat more, get frustrated etc. Try Astras next
    Or they're blunt on one edge and sharp on the other...

Derby were the worst of the blades in my sampler pack, unlike the Feathers that are predictably sharp and work fine on my ordinary, average beard.
  • ddraver
    for you - if you find feathers the best then you probably have coarser than average hair. How many other beards have you tested?
    - @ddraver
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    ddraver wrote:
    for you - if you find feathers the best then you probably have coarser than average hair.
    The problem with Derbys - in my experience - is that the blades are inconsistent out of the packet, sometimes sharp, sometimes blunt, sometimes both.

Feathers have a reputation for being exceptionally sharp and that might be off-putting to a new safety-razor user, but there's really no reason not to give them a try. Feathers are, at least, predictable.
    ddraver wrote:
    How many other beards have you tested?
    Just one, like most blokes who aren't barbers. :)
  • pblakeney
    Thanks for the pointers guys!
    I will work my way though the packs that I have. The Wilkinsons are doing well so far.
    Astras once that blade is done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    I occasionally indulge in cut-throat shaving of my face but only allowing a good barber to do it. For a bit of fun I followed up some of the research done by Specialized on leg shaving effectiveness on speed, Watts saved etc as referenced in a recent RCUK posting. I posted it in my blog if you're interested at http://geoffnelder.com/why-cyclists-shave-their-legs/
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Laser Razor...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving

Takes the fun out of it, right?
    But... lasers
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Thanks for the pointers guys!
    I will work my way through the packs that I have. The Wilkinsons are doing well so far.

That's definitely the best policy. One thing you can see from all of the commenters about the different blades is that they work differently for different people. My viewpoint about the different blades seems entirely different from some others - but that's their face. At least if you try the options, you'll know what's right for your face.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Thanks for the pointers guys!
    I will work my way through the packs that I have. The Wilkinsons are doing well so far.

That's definitely the best policy. One thing you can see from all of the commenters about the different blades is that they work differently for different people. My viewpoint about the different blades seems entirely different from some others - but that's their face. At least if you try the options, you'll know what's right for your face.
    Well, pachyderms do have rather tougher hides than us mere humans.
  • Thanks for the pointers guys!

Well, pachyderms do have rather tougher hides than us mere humans.

I'm deep undercover - my skin is near baby's but smooth.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm a big fan of the personna platinums, seem to last forever as well. Well over a week each anyway.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    anyone seen the laser razor thats on kickstarter?!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Couple of days ago
    Laser Razor...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving

But... lasers

I'm a bit tempted to get one.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pblakeney

Couple of days ago
    Laser Razor...

But... lasers

I'm a bit tempted to get one.
    The photo of Paul Binun is not a very good advert for the product.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    as a bearded man it has no appeal, but i would be tempted if i start shaving my legs again next year
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Decided to try DE shaving after reading this thread, ordered myself a set up from the Traditional Shaving site a few people have linked. I never knew there was such depth to the shaving market, I always thought Gillette etc and their multi bladed bank account sapping blade packs were the only option. Glad I read this thread now. Stuff arrived on Sat and I gave it a go that evening, pleasantly surprised by how close the shave was and the lack of burn, given I'm a total novice and there is clearly a skill to master and plenty of variance in blades to try. Good stuff, cheers everyone.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Likewise.

My other half got me a set for my birthday, and it's quite nice to lock the bathroom door (for once), and have total peace for a shower and take your own damn time shaving. Really, really close shave, and didn't cut myself (world's biggest pack of Astras was ordered).

Could do with a bit of advice, if anyone can help:

I've got Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. Seems alright. What's the best process?

1. Soak brush (I guess the wetter the better)
    2. "Buff up" soap puck with wet brush, loading the brush up with as much soap as possible
    3. Lather face.
    5. Bleed copiously.

?

I'm not entirely sure whether my "more is more better-er" approach is right, and it might be a bit wasteful on the soap. Any advice?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Likewise.

My other half got me a set for my birthday, and it's quite nice to lock the bathroom door (for once), and have total peace for a shower and take your own damn time shaving. Really, really close shave, and didn't cut myself (world's biggest pack of Astras was ordered).

Could do with a bit of advice, if anyone can help:

I've got Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. Seems alright. What's the best process?

1. Soak brush (I guess the wetter the better)
    2. "Buff up" soap puck with wet brush, loading the brush up with as much soap as possible
    3. Lather face.
    5. Bleed copiously.

?

I'm not entirely sure whether my "more is more better-er" approach is right, and it might be a bit wasteful on the soap. Any advice?

I go with (on hard soaps like Mitchell's):

1) Soak brush (the hotter the water the better)
    2) Rub brush roundy-roundy on the soap for four seconds
    3) Rub brush roundy-roundy on my cupped left palm until copious foam
    4) Add a bit more water if the foam is too stiff
    5) More roundy-roundy on the palm
    6) Lather face