Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Graeme_S wrote:
    How frequently do people tend to change their blades? Roughly how many shaves do people find they get out of them?

I was a bit shocked when someone said "7" yesterday. I tend to get 3 or 4 from mine, but at £8.90/hundred it's not something I get worked up about if I sling one after one or two shaves.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    What does the "double-edge" part mean? Do you do alternating strokes between the front and the back of the blade, or one shave on one side then turn it over?
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    It means that there is a sharp edge on the opposite two sides of the blade. When in the razor, you shave with one side (so the other edge is away from the face), swap the razor round to shave with the other edge, then rinse off the lather and start again.

_
  • I disassemble and clean my razor and reverse the blade after every use - simply running under the tap doesn't seem to clean it properly. A sampler pack is a great idea and I have found a big difference between blades. I know some people like the Derby blades, and they are very cheap but I only get 4 shaves out of them (2 on each side) before they start to feel decidedly blunt. My current favorite is the Astra Superior Platinum blade which I can use for up to three weeks (15 shaves) before it starts to lose its sharpness.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bigmonka
    Thanks, reversing the blade when cleaning it sounds sensible (I'm hoping to get my first proper razor next week).
    That's an amazing difference in blade life! those sample packs seem good value so I may have to order one when the original Derby blades that come with the razor run out.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I got my badger hair brush today. Had a shave this evening and used it for the first time. I'm genuinely amazed at the difference it makes. I'm using Rapha shaving cream, and I don't think I've been getting it to foam up properly before. It means I've been shaving with too thick a layer of cream on my face before which has made it really hard to get a close shave. Total convert to using a brush. Feel like I've been wasting my time all these years.

In other news, the chrome on the head of my EJ has started to peel off :(. It's brand new and this is only the 3rd time I've used if. Anyone else had this happen?
  • bigmonka
    I had my first shave with a DE last night. Afterwards there was still some hair left and definitely some blood :lol:
    I can't say it went overly well :cry: but it feels like I'm learning a real skill so I'm looking forward to my next attempt.

The main problem area seems to be my chinline and under my chin - any advice?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pull the skin tight with your free hand to provide a smoother surface for the blade to glide over.
  • CiB
    Graeme_S wrote:
    In other news, the chrome on the head of my EJ has started to peel off :(. It's brand new and this is only the 3rd time I've used if. Anyone else had this happen?
    Sounds like a manufacturing fault, and grounds for an exchange at the very least.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    My brother in law bought me an Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor for Christmas so I'm finally giving double edged shaving a go. It's been a revelation after the razor burn and misery (and economy) of using Tesco disposable plastic razors. I'm hoping DE shaving will be still very cheap, but much nicer. It's a real pleasure to start the day with a really relaxing shave.

I'm currently working my way through the blade sampler packs, and the feedback on here together with my experience really shows how varied individudal reactions to different blades can be. My current favourite are Astras (beautiful smooth 3 pass shave), followed by Gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge (I had a tiny bit of razor burn here but that could have been I pressed slight too hard). I got substantial bleeding/neck rash from both Sharks and Derbys so those are both out for me. It looks like I need a slightly sharper blade, rather than a smoother one. I'm going to try Feathers when my technique has improved a bit.

Really enjoying some "me time" shaving. It's very relaxing and enjoyable and I'm a convert. It seems pretty cheap to do too. Thansk for all the recommendations on here.

I'm now on the look out for some nice unscented everyday shaving soap to replace my Wilkinsons blue tub which I don't particularly like but Tescos sell. I live in a diamond hard, hard water area (Reading) so I don't think Mitchells Wool Fat will work for me sadly. Any recommendations? Also keen to try some post shave balm type things, so any recommendations there let me know.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yesterday I whipped out the ol' Edwin Jagger DE razor, brush, lather and foam. My son walked into the bathroom looking amazed. He then said "DaDa" and pointed to the razor, I said "No Lukie, it's for Dads" and handed him his toothbrush to play with. He stood there brushing his teeth watching attentively as I shaved my manly beard with my manly razor.

Moment in my life that was.

Thanks CIB for starting this cycling cultural movement.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Did the use of an old skool safety razor make the moment more poignant?

You should have lathered his face up too and let him 'shave' it off with a comb, a la Mel Gibson in that fillum
  • jeepie
    So funny - yeah - nice one DD. I let my oldest lad (who's 5) try "DE" shaving with a spoon :D Showed him the hot flannel and then the brush/lathering routine. Got a nice covering of lather on his face. Then let him shave with a spoon and helped him get the right pressure and shaving line. Father and son time doesn't get much better than that! Great fun!
  • Lord_V
    Lord_V Posts: 54
    Jeepie wrote:
    My brother in law bought me an Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor for Christmas so I'm finally giving double edged shaving a go. It's been a revelation after the razor burn and misery (and economy) of using Tesco disposable plastic razors. I'm hoping DE shaving will be still very cheap, but much nicer. It's a real pleasure to start the day with a really relaxing shave.

I'm currently working my way through the blade sampler packs, and the feedback on here together with my experience really shows how varied individudal reactions to different blades can be. My current favourite are Astras (beautiful smooth 3 pass shave), followed by Gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge (I had a tiny bit of razor burn here but that could have been I pressed slight too hard). I got substantial bleeding/neck rash from both Sharks and Derbys so those are both out for me. It looks like I need a slightly sharper blade, rather than a smoother one. I'm going to try Feathers when my technique has improved a bit.

Really enjoying some "me time" shaving. It's very relaxing and enjoyable and I'm a convert. It seems pretty cheap to do too. Thansk for all the recommendations on here.

I'm now on the look out for some nice unscented everyday shaving soap to replace my Wilkinsons blue tub which I don't particularly like but Tescos sell. I live in a diamond hard, hard water area (Reading) so I don't think Mitchells Wool Fat will work for me sadly. Any recommendations? Also keen to try some post shave balm type things, so any recommendations there let me know.

I alternate between the feathers and wilkinson sword cheapos - bother work equally well for me. Though for a smoother shave with feathers I run cutting edge over a cork once or twice just to dull them slightly.

I'm in north hampshire with exceptionally hard water as well - I swear by taylor of old bond street shaving creams.

(their colognes are also pretty good if that your thing.)
  • jeepie
    Lord_V wrote:
    Jeepie wrote:

I alternate between the feathers and wilkinson sword cheapos - bother work equally well for me. Though for a smoother shave with feathers I run cutting edge over a cork once or twice just to dull them slightly.

I'm in north hampshire with exceptionally hard water as well - I swear by taylor of old bond street shaving creams.

(their colognes are also pretty good if that your thing.)

Thanks for the recommendation of the taylor of old bond street creams. I'll get some and let you know how I get on. It really is such fun and changes a bore into something I really look forward to. My missus is always having these pampering sessions so it's great to do something that is both pampering and manly! Cheers.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I stopped shaving 3 years ago. It is bliss and far cheaper.
    Bought a 22 pound beard trimmer from boots and keep my stubble at number 1 length. Work in consulting with loads of senior clients, thought I would get comments, but no-one gives a stuff.

My skin is far happier not shaving.
  • jeepie
    frazered wrote:
    I stopped shaving 3 years ago. It is bliss and far cheaper.
    Bought a 22 pound beard trimmer from boots and keep my stubble at number 1 length. Work in consulting with loads of senior clients, thought I would get comments, but no-one gives a stuff.

My skin is far happier not shaving.

Do you have curly hair? I do and get itchiness and ingrowing hairs really badly after 3 days of not shaving. So much so that I can't bare it anymore and have to shave. I'd love to grow a Darwin style beard. It was my ambition at 50 to do so but I just can't take the irritation of getting there! Any tips?
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Alright Chaps. I've been using my Muhle safety razor for a while now with feather blades after reading some of the recommendations in this thread. I do enjoy the ceremonial aspect of shaving this way but unfortunately I end up looking like an extra from a war film afterwards. I can get a close shave but end up bloodying myself badly and if I don't my shave isn't close. Anyone got any tips to improve my technique?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Are you stretching the skin enough? If you are then you are just using blades that don't agree with you. Get a variety pack of blades and see which one works best.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • leeefm wrote:
    Alright Chaps. I've been using my Muhle safety razor for a while now with feather blades after reading some of the recommendations in this thread. I do enjoy the ceremonial aspect of shaving this way but unfortunately I end up looking like an extra from a war film afterwards. I can get a close shave but end up bloodying myself badly and if I don't my shave isn't close. Anyone got any tips to improve my technique?

Feather blades are notoriously sharp, I didn't get on with them at all. The fact that I still have a nose is testament to my skill with a razor.

I use Derby blades, they work well for me. The usual advice applies, get a selection pack - what works for me may not work for you.
  • jeepie
    leeefm wrote:

Ok. I'm doing a lot of learning right now also. I'm now getting excellent shaves and reckon I can improve my technique further and speed up a bit too! For the first time in my life, my wife is complaining about how long I take in the bathroom!

I didn't get on with Feathers either. I found them too sharp and I'm not sure whether their reputation preceded them, but I had exactly the same problem as you i.e. I was worried about cutting myself so I didn't get a close shave, and then tried to shave closer and cut myself. I've settled on Gillette 7 o'clocks - the sharp edge ones, but I also found Astra Platinum very good and these are cheaper. So try lots of different blades as it seems very personal as to which suits. I know UndercoverElephant hated the Gillettes. I tried: Derby, Sharks, Astra, Feathers and the Gillettes. I enjoy traditional shaving as there is definitely a bit of a trail and error aspect to it, but when it goes right it's very pleasing.

So tips: i) Find the right blade - I could chuck some Derbys and Sharks in the post for you to try as I don't like them - PM me if interested ii) Get the right lather - I switched from Wilkinson blue bowl soap to Arko shave sticks, but am going try some posher Taylor of Old Bond street too when I can afford it iii) Do the correct number of passes - I do one with the grain and one against, then I just do another against the grain on the stubbly bits on my chin.

For me this last point was the most critical. Don't expect to get close on the first pass. Beard reduction not elimination on each pass -> These videos nailed it for me > http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Good luck!
  • I find feather blades almost too sharp and tend to end up with more nicks from these than other brands. Importantly though you need to learn a different technique than with disposable blades. With a DE razor you don't need to apply any additional pressure - the weight of the razor is enough to cut through the stubble. Because the hairs grow in different directions you are likely to need several passes for a really smooth shave. It takes me 3 passes and a few extra minutes with a DE compared to a disposable, but the result is well worth it.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I need to improve my technique a little and look for some different blades. Cheers for the offer Jeepie, I might take you up on that, pm on its way.
    I'm using Crabtree & Evelyn soap if that makes a difference?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Supermax blue diamond titanium coated blades work for me, I picked 50 of them up for £3.99. But then, I'm not sure they are any better than the Derby blades that came with the blade.

Technique and lather is hugely important as well: Taylors of Old Bond Street is great. But also just letting the weight on the blades glide down your face. Don't force the issue, work with the grain and if you need a second or third pass just enjoy it.

Also invest in quality post shaving solutions. I'm currently using a baby lotion, bump patrol, nivea after shave balm combination that works quite well
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How many people posting in this thread are actually using a proper cut throat razor (like real men) and how many are using a double edge or safety razor?

Or maybe the thread should just be renamed?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    The thread started with my migration from over-priced multi-blades to a cut-throat, but it was a step too far too soon. The consensus on the first page was DE, and that's proved to be the case.

Cut throats are good but it takes a lot longer, requires a lot more care and is too easy to end up looking like a murder victim. It's DE all the way for me these days.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I now shave in the evenings but still after the night, when I ride in the mornings my neck burns like hell from chafing on my helmet strap.
    Any tips?
  • Lord_V
    Lord_V Posts: 54
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How many people posting in this thread are actually using a proper cut throat razor (like real men) and how many are using a double edge or safety razor?

Or maybe the thread should just be renamed?

I do.

During the week I use a DE, on Sundays I go for the full blown cut throat. My go to is either a cheap Dovo, or if I'm a bit lazy I do have a cut throat that takes Half DE blades...

I am in the process of cleaning and sharpening a Wade and Butcher from 1903 that I picked up from a junk shop for a fiver. I have a feeling it will need new scales though. Still - cant really beat that for longevity...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any more soap recommendations?

I ran out of that £2 blue stuff someone recommended on ebay and now want some more. It was great as is, but heck it, why not change?
    I'd say I probably have highly sensitive skin which tends to go a bit raw, particularly if chafing on my helmet strap if I do early morning training rides, even if I've shaved the night before.
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat. In fact, you've just reminded me to buy another cake.