Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Thanks to my partner, I'm about to start this safety-razor lark, but have a question: she bought one of these soaps:

Edwin-Jagger-Sandalwood-Traditional-Shaving-Soap.jpg

Which comes in a plastic tub that's a bit bigger than the soap cake inside. She also got me one of these shaving bowls:

Parker-Dark-Mango-Wood-Shaving-Bowl.jpg

Is the shaving bowl necessary or is the plastic tub that the soap came in good enough to get a lather with a brush? They sell a 'refill' soap, so I figured it the tub would be good enough.

The shop is happy to take the bowl back, which would be handy as I don't really like the look of it ;)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    jamesco wrote:
    Is the shaving bowl necessary or is the plastic tub that the soap came in good enough to get a lather with a brush? They sell a 'refill' soap, so I figured it the tub would be good enough.

The shop is happy to take the bowl back, which would be handy as I don't really like the look of it ;)
    I gave up using a bowl quite soon after starting on this path. It's a nice-to-have but not necessary. Either work up a lather in the palm of your hand [insert oooerrr missus joke here], or do it direct to face - both ways generate plenty of smooth creamy face suds.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've never had a bowl. Tried using an mug but ut annoyed the hell out of me. Palmolive stick and brushing on the face for me now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2013

you're allowed the buy your own now you are 30.

So I bought the following off Amazon:

Edwin Jagger Double-Edge safety razor

Taylor of Bond Street Sandlewood shaving cream

Edwin Jagger pure badger hair shaving brush

Should be with me tomorrow by 1pm.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can someone tell me what I have to do.
    Well you don't want to risk damaging an important area like your face so probably best to practice on a less important area - like your pubes.... :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hot water on face - some exfoliate 1st or use a pre shave balm. Use a flannel or similar. Softens the hair.

Dip brush in hot water, no need to soak it. Lather up soap. Go round and round till its thick. Apply to warm, moist face.

BE gentle with shaver. Use its own weight to glide accross skin. The angle should be self explanatory.

Only go with the grain to start with, till you get used to it.

If you want to do a 2nd pass, relather the face.

Rinse with warm, then cold water.

Moisturise.

Stand back and let the woman/man in your life admire your handiwork
  • Anonymous
    see skyfall for more details
  • DonDaddyD
    pre shave balm

Is this necessary? I normally just wash my face with hot water and superdrug tea tree oil. If it is necessary, what pre shave balm should I go for?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Anonymous
    Dunno. I don't use one, and the soap I use is one someone recommended on here a while back, so I bought out the supplier (2 bars for £4)! I use a hot flannel (as hot as I can bear, really) and leave it on my face to soften the hairs. I reckon it would be best just after a shower - I am thinking of getting an anti-fog mirror for the shower (does this exist?)

Just give it a try and then see how you get on. If you are getting irritation and think it could be improved, look at pre-shave balms. A nice post shave moisturiser is nice though. I just bought the Dove one as I liked the smell.
  • DonDaddyD
    coriordan wrote:
    Dunno. I don't use one, and the soap I use is one someone recommended on here a while back, so I bought out the supplier (2 bars for £4)! I use a hot flannel (as hot as I can bear, really) and leave it on my face to soften the hairs. I reckon it would be best just after a shower - I am thinking of getting an anti-fog mirror for the shower (does this exist?)

Just give it a try and then see how you get on. If you are getting irritation and think it could be improved, look at pre-shave balms. A nice post shave moisturiser is nice though. I just bought the Dove one as I liked the smell.
    Thanks!

You can get shaving mirrors that don't fog up.

Post shave balms - I use:

bumb zapper

Bump patrol - this stuff stings like Lucifer but my god it is good.

Nivea post shave balm

I don't use all three but may use a combination of the two. I also moisturise using baby lotion (Johnson&Johnson)
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    pre shave balm

Is this necessary? I normally just wash my face with hot water and superdrug tea tree oil. If it is necessary, what pre shave balm should I go for?
    I just shave after having a shower so no need as everything is already nicely softened up.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Stanley222 wrote:
    jamesco wrote:

If you don't like it just send it back anyway! You don't need it anyway :wink:
    It was a gift, so I need the cover that it's "unnecessary" to get away with returning it :)

Thanks CiB & prawny for the advice!
  • DonDaddyD
    I can't wait till I can shave like a proper man, deep down I'm so excited my toes are curling.
    Food Chain number = 4

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Had my first DE shave last night. Trimmed my winter beard with an electric first, and then had a shower and shaved the stubble off with my new Edwin Jagger and a Derby blade. Didn't have a brush (it arrives today) so just lathered with my hands. First impressions pretty good. I did two passes, relathering in between. First pass with the grain, second pass across it. Was very nervous about cutting myself, had one tiny nick, but nothing a styptic pencil couldn't easily take care of, and certainly no worse than I've done with a cartridge. Was amazed at how easy it felt on my face. To begin with I wasn't sure I was actually cutting the stubble as it felt like I was just wiping the foam off with a blunt part of the DE razor head. It made me tempted to press down a bit, but I resisted.

It's not the closest shave I've ever had, but I think that's technique more than anything. Feel a little bit razor burny today, but nothing too bad, and not surprising since I haven't wet shaved since September.

Annoyingly, my wife who has spent the whole winter complaining about my beard took one look at my face when she got home and went "Hmmm.... I'm not sure..." :roll:
  • You absolutely don't need to apply any pressure - the weight of the razor alone is ample. I find to get a really close shave I need to give it 3 passes - with the grain, across the grain then against the grain. Wet the face and re-lather before each pass. It takes a little while to perfect the technique and to find a blade that best suits your face but is well worth the perseverance.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I'm hopefully getting an Edwin Jagger DE for my birthday next week, and my Dad is giving me his late father's shaving brush - it's nice to be able to pass on something like that to a younger generation.
  • veronese68
    DDD are you still alive? You didn't cut your head off in a nasty shaving accident did you.
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DDD are you still alive? You didn't cut your head off in a nasty shaving accident did you.
    So, my girlfriend and my Dad had a go at me because I've been going on and on about my new fandangled razor for about 3 days, i.e. day before I bought it, day that I bought it and used it and the day after I used it.

Friday I ordered and paid for express delivery from Amazon. The razor and sandlewood shaving cream came on time but not the badger hair brush. A complaint to Amazon was made 2 hours after the stated delivery deadline and Amazon promptly refunded the delivery charge.

My excitement saw me buy a shaving bowl with soap and synthetic shaving brush but the bristle were much stiffer than the Edwin Jagger so I waited till the next day to shave.

Saturday My badger brush was delivered early in the morning, so I summoned my family to the bathroom to watch me shave.

Shower, Superdrug tea tree facial wash and fannel used to wash my face. I then get my badger brush, dip it in the Sandlewood cream, whip up a lather in the shaving bowl (I've since thrown away the soap - was only a standard £3 one from boots), swirl the brush around my face applying lashings of lovely rich lather.

I then proceeded to use my Edwin Jagger. Sublime. For £20, not that I'm experienced in these things, you so seem to get a lot of quality for your money. The weight of the thing is immediately noticable, as is the build quality and styling (there are few things less blingy).

However, my Derby razor blade could have done with being a little sharper, I found I had to press harder than I should need to (though I did cut myself 2 - 3 times - I had pronouced razor bumps prior to the shave so I was expecting it)

I had 2 passes (my family were getting bored) to get proper close and I was left with razor bumps and the post-shave balm (after using the acidic bump patrol) wasn't helping cool things down. I've since switched to a "medicated" cocoa butter, aloe vera and tea tree oil cream (sold in Afro-Caribbean hair shops) post shave cream and not only does it cool things down it actually gets rid of bumps - shave or no shave (you can feel it working).

All in all its a great shave and now I have my products (post shave gel and cream) I cant wait till Wednesday/Thursday when I will have sufficient hair on my face to shave again!

(i) I would say that you don't need a shaving bowl, the brush retains quite a lot of soap until rinsed off - unless I'm doing it wrong (my lather didn't foam up just remained creamy).

(ii) What you do need is a stand so that the brush can be dangled and drip dry, same with the razor.

(iii) My razor seems to have a bit of lather residue on it, any tips for cleaning.

(iv) Any tips/advice on blades would be greatly appreciated.

Much respect to CIB for creating this superb thread and by extension saving my face!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    (iii) My razor seems to have a bit of lather residue on it, any tips for cleaning.

(iv) Any tips/advice on blades would be greatly appreciated.

Much respect to CIB for creating this superb thread and by extension saving my face!

My razor does get dulled by the foam, I tend to polish it a little when it's dry on my dressing gown. I love Derby blades, so my opinion is evidently not yours. Everyone's face is different, best to get one of the sampler packs and work your way through.
  • veronese68
    You summoned your family to watch, then showered?!? :shock:
    Regarding the blades I think UE is right to recommend a sampler pack. Feather felt sharper to me, but different strokes and all that. I tend to give the razor a good clean when I change the blade, in the meantime I put up with the residue.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    so I summoned my family to the bathroom to watch me shave.
    :lol: brilliant!
  • Anonymous
    Give the razor a thorough rinse under cold water and wipe clean with towel.

If you are pressing down so hard you may benefit from a sharper blade.
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    It's probably the pressing down that's causing most of the irritation and discomfort. If you've never used a DE before it is worthwhile being patient and learning the best way to shave your face (we're all slightly different) and using multiple light passes than using pressure to get results. It's a pain when all you want to do is show off your new found machismo and baby bottom face, but it's worth it in the end.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • Anonymous
    +1 to iPip.

Had a long, patient shave last night and went for 2/3 passes. One with the grain and the 2nd/3rd across and against the grain. Probably my best shave yet (going by 1-2/week since 5th Jan). Slow and steady definitely is key.
  • graeme_s-2
    How frequently do people tend to change their blades? Roughly how many shaves do people find they get out of them?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Merkur 25c long arrived yesterday. Shiny, and nice and better!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Anonymous
    4 shaves per blade? As soon as the slightest burn or 'catching/pulling' of hairs. At 10p a shot, you can afford to chuck them!
  • graeme_s-2
    coriordan wrote:
    4 shaves per blade? As soon as the slightest burn or 'catching/pulling' of hairs. At 10p a shot, you can afford to chuck them!
    Absolutely - I'm certainly not being miserly about it - I don't shave every day, and with the derby blades that came with my razor, plus the selection box I bought I've got more blades than I know what to do with. Just don't want to be wasteful either!
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Graeme_S wrote:
    How frequently do people tend to change their blades? Roughly how many shaves do people find they get out of them?
    I shave daily and usually change blades at the weekend. Depending on the blade, it may be getting a touch blunt and tuggy by then but I find that most blades are still doing a reasonable job for me. However, my hair is reasonably fine, so I assume that my bristles may be too, so blades may last longer for me than others. YMMV.

_