Show us your winter bikes!!

Comments

• P1010532-1-1.jpg

(Looks a bit different now, black saddle/tape etc and mudguards)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Just finished rebuilding the Dolan Preffisio:

8175353735_181ef3b12c.jpg

Full Campag Athena, Open Pros on Veloce hubs with 32 tied and soldered spokes, Conti Gatorskins and Ritchey Classic finishing kit.

Now to ruin it over the coming months.

Rob
  • Ber Nard wrote:

Full Campag Athena, Open Pros on Veloce hubs with 32 tied and soldered spokes, Conti Gatorskins and Ritchey Classic finishing kit.

Rob

How cool, who still does the tying and soldering?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ber Nard wrote:

Rob

Chapeau! 8)

That sir, is a proper kitted winter bicycle. Athena looks beautiful.
  • Ber Nard
    Thank you!

Ugo, Brian Rourke Cycles will tie and solder spokes. It's a proper bike shop.

Rob
  • 2jbl7hj.jpg

Here's my Colnago titanium winter bike :) popped some SKS mudguards on today :D Managed to furnish it with everything needed 8)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Surely it can't be a winter bike if you'd want to bring it inside?

Thought you'd like to see the clearance on my new tyres...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Random studs did you add them yourself?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bompington
    itboffin wrote:
    Random studs did you add them yourself?
    Nokian A10s - the only studded tyre that I could find at less than 35mm. Relatively thinly spread studs:. I do believe some people do add their own studs, not sure I'm ready for that level of bodging yet. :shock:
  • Surely your local roads aren't so sketchy to warrant studded tyres?????
  • bompington
    Fevmeister wrote:
    Surely your local roads aren't so sketchy to warrant studded tyres?????
    You're not from round here, right?
    Deliverance_dueling_banjo_scene.350w_263h.jpg
    Take this morning - my first outing on the new winter tyres. 9°C this morning as the weather front swept in (first drops of rain just as I arrived, pleased with the timing :-)) but there was still ice from the early frost last night in a couple of places. This is hardly the coldest place in Scotland, but I regularly meet ice on my route (which goes up and down through some classic frost hollows, highest point on my regular route is 215m up but the hills around are nearly 400) when Dundee isn't forecast to be below 4° or so. And there are some bits of the route that are never gritted.
    The Nokians actually felt like they rolled really well considering, they just feel a bit softer (32mm & 60psi as opposed to 23 and 120!) and you have the slight crackling of the studs. Not really enough ice to tell, but they felt plenty secure enough on wet and muddy roads.
  • Just finished building this cube GTC sl up. I got the frame for a bargain so couldn't say no. Just need a front mudguard as my old crud catcher snapped.
    3F42B139-7AC1-4AA2-99D9-13FAA18302A0-6365-0000059B67215550.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    So got my fixie built up over the weekend. Will be my daily winter commuter, have a winter trainer and a CX with studs as well...
    IMG-20121124-WA0005.jpg
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Just finished building my winter bike. New frame, forks, seatpost courtesy of Dolan.
    The rest is from the bit box or sourced from here.
    Pretty pleased with it, although the position is a lot lower than I'd thought. Hence the need for spacers.

Reckon I could throw my PX 50mm tubs on it for next years crits. That way if (when) I drop it I might not be so annoyed!

IMG_1283.jpg
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,105
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    winter in Qatar - means higher winds - so no aero frames or deep rims because of the side wind effect.
    JrLcP.jpg

You're seriously mad to even ride over here, still, very little need for 'guards from what I can see (been here 2 weeks!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ber Nard
    pickled wrote:
    Pretty pleased with it, although the position is a lot lower than I'd thought. Hence the need for spacers.

IMG_1283.jpg

Looks like you could have gone a size up? Very nice, by the way.

Rob
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    Such an ace little bike..

image-3.jpg
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Right, put on a Brummie accent and read this line "This winter, I shall be mainly riding..."

350ug46.jpg

bdk6s.jpg

My new(ish) 'winter hack'. Very clean as I have just spent a day fabricating bits to get some guards mounted. Being disc brakes the rear had frame eyes which required bending of the stays to avoid interference, whereas the front had no eyes at all....just need to get a longer bolt for the lower disc mount to ensure enough threads are in contact within the forks and I'm all set.

Got some retro-reflective black tape on order which will be stuck down the rear of the seat stays to aid winter visibility, and another rear light will be added plus an emergency front. Also need to change the tyres to 28mm Four Seasons as the 32mm cross tyres are a bit hairy cornering on wet roads, even if the ride is sublime!

PP
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    That is awesome ^^^
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I bought this 1990 Mercian this weekend. I wanted a steel winter bike, and I also wanted a Mercian.

photos2012077.jpg

My plan is to have it resprayed at Mercian and upgrade the groupset. It's got six speed Shimano Exage kit at the minute and this is original. The chainset is 53-42 with a 14-25 cassette.

photos2012078.jpg

I'm not sure whether to keep it retro and upgrade to 90's Campag Super Record with downtube shifters or bring it up to date with a Shimano Tiagra or 105 groupset.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What's the dropout spacing?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Ben6899 wrote:
    What's the dropout spacing?

Unless I've measured wrong it's 130mm
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Here is mine
    Based on the new kinesis pro6
    Rides well

photo-1.jpg

Just need to fashion some mudflaps for the ends of the guards.....
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    My Chinese import with discs and dyno hub. Still needs a few tweaks, but mosty done. I've posted more details on velobuild where I sourced it.

8243185153_0cde2e3518.jpg
  • Here's mine.
    My old Peugeot Carbolite resprayed as close as I could manage to the original paint scheme, with a little bit of mud thrown in for good measure.

8253242460_7ce288c97d.jpg

A mix of Campag Centaur shifters, Xenon rear mech, Tiagra cranks, 7700 chainrings, random shimano cassette and chain and an old shimano mountain bike front mech. Shifts surprisingly well :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just came today. I'll have a shakedown ride tomorrow and call in a Cyclestore for a pannier rack and panniers. Going to be used for communting and duff weather.

Very impressed by the paint quality, very deep and rich. It feels really smooth on my initial raz round the block!

F2868006-75A3-4E87-B0E5-538164E96655-1956-000001F8EE765990.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Just came today. I'll have a shakedown ride tomorrow and call in a Cyclestore for a pannier rack and panniers. Going to be used for communting and duff weather.

Very impressed by the paint quality, very deep and rich. It feels really smooth on my initial raz round the block!

You won't regret that Nap, I bought a Ribble winter frame and fork all in for £99 about five years ago. I then decided to make it into a cheap TT machine and bought a set of blackstream aero forks 105 groupset and some cheap TT bars. I used it as such for a season then got T boned on my Thorn commuter by a car. The bars on the Ribble were swapped to a set of cheap drops and it was pressed into commuter service although it still got raced in chippers and TT'd with clip ons.

The last 3 years fas been solid commuting with race blades added. It has gone through 2 rear blocks 2 lots of chain rings a couple of front mechs and 2 rear aksiums (one abandoned due to an undiagnosable creak). All fair wear and tear considering it is used most days. Definitely a good commuter bike.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    P1010285.jpg
    P1010286.jpg
    Traitor exile - lugged steel 2011 the nice winter bike with campag Velcoe/centaur 2x10 speed plus lots of other nice kit. It a very comfortable ride for 100 milers. I lowered the front edge of the mudguard after this photo but have not taken another one.

The other winter tool is Kona Paddy wagon which I have never washed in nearly 6 years, thats how winter this bike is. I don't even have a picture of it as that would mean spending some time attending to it. It gets no love or attention-well the bare minimum. Being SS/fixed it still works perfectly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Looking at this myself for some time. Is that the 'special edition' spec?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    PedroJake wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Looking at this myself for some time. Is that the 'special edition' spec?

It's build up from one of the 'special edition' winter /audax specials. Chose Athena with Khamsin wheels. Immediately swapped the seatpost out for a 3T carbon one and put Conti GP4000S 24mm tyres on.

Got a tortec lightweight rack from Cyclestore yesterday too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach