Show us your winter bikes!!

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nathancom wrote:
    DSC00703_zps2ba7d8e3.jpg
    Old winter hack, Scott S50 Speedster, 9 speed sora, gatorskins.

New winter bike will be my 2007 Litespeed Siena, will post image soon, got to get wheels and fit crudcatchers.
    Not sure that I would be out in that kind of weather...

That was the worst spot. I came up the road from Bicknor (which is obscured by the Ringlestone signage) and it was clear so I just turned round. This was at the top of the downs in Kent, no way was I going down Hollingbourne hill in the snow.

I like this picture as it represents Rule 5 of The Rules.

Rule 5?
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    DSC00703_zps2ba7d8e3.jpg

New winter bike will be my 2007 Litespeed Siena, will post image soon, got to get wheels and fit crudcatchers.

That was the worst spot. I came up the road from Bicknor (which is obscured by the Ringlestone signage) and it was clear so I just turned round. This was at the top of the downs in Kent, no way was I going down Hollingbourne hill in the snow.

Rule 5?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Not to be taken too seriously............... :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • nathancom wrote:
    DSC00703_zps2ba7d8e3.jpg

I'd say Rule 9 - you badass :)http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#9
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    gwillis wrote:
    Heres my cx bike in winter mode. Although there are mudguard bosses on the forks and rear stays due to the height the guards need to fit near the underside of the forks ive opted for clips on for now until I sort some brackets.
    Apart from a few changes ie stem etc ive build up some open pros on 105 hubs.
    8044667145_95e06f92f1_c.jpg

Rule 8 ?
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have my own rules .....

The most important being get out and ride your bike .
  • PedroJake wrote:
    tommo7567 wrote:
    Heres my new baby, just arrived this weekend and first outing on her today, which was handy seeing as lots of roads were covered in muddy run off water from the fields! :o

I selected the bike using the Ribble special edition route and was rewarded with 10 spd Tiagra instead of 9 spd at no extra cost :D Needless to say I'm a very happy bunny!

DSC_0581_zps9f052714.jpg

DSC_0577_zps434dc7c0.jpg

Regards

Tommo

I've been toying with the idea of ordering this same set up from Ribble myself for the winter. What's the honest verdict on it ?

My toatlly honest opinion is its a very good bike for the money. Granted its no lightweight but it is very stable as a result and smooth over rough tarmac (of which we seem to have plenty in Herefordshire..) Without the guards it would make an excellent first time bike, especially when you consider the higher than average spec for a bike of this cost). The frame geometry does differ from a more compact type frame in that it lowers your profile when you ride but that does aid in stability.

I would definetly recommend it.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    And I have noticed that every second hand "Ribble"bike on ebay sells for good money so if you do ever need to sell it you will get a fair price too.
  • Updated SKS Raceblade Longs and new Lezyne lights fitted. First run this morning. All good.

dscn1023k.jpg
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    8038447604_b8cca16764_c.jpg
    photo.JPG

Now with guards fitted
  • Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    My summer bike, but with guards! Tadaa!

FD298A2D-57BC-4DFB-957C-5BFBB8CD2579-10723-00001115309DBFD4.jpg
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    Planet x uncle john with guards and lights fitted ready for the crappy weather to begin and late night commuting !

Needs a rear light fitted but i seem to have misplaced mine and awaiting delivery of a new one.

59e6ea1aec1393a582cfc143da7e2e37.jpg
    a9fca7a9d0f635d93778760ffeb91927.jpg
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    nice...
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • gwillis
    mr_sj wrote:
    Planet x uncle john with guards and lights fitted ready for the crappy weather to begin and late night commuting !

Needs a rear light fitted but i seem to have misplaced mine and awaiting delivery of a new one.

59e6ea1aec1393a582cfc143da7e2e37.jpg
    a9fca7a9d0f635d93778760ffeb91927.jpg

Nice ride what guards are they ?
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    Sks commuter road mudguards, £16 from wiggle
  • gwillis
    mr_sj wrote:
    Sks commuter road mudguards, £16 from wiggle

Cheers I'm struggling to find a set that will fit correctly onto my Caadx . The problem is the mounts on the forks etc are too high so I need longer brackets
  • 8d69d5f0.jpg
    853 Winter bike
    20121008_175641_zps9842a673.jpg
    CX bike
  • gwillis
    andyhilton wrote:
    8d69d5f0.jpg
    853 Winter bike
    20121008_175641_zps9842a673.jpg
    CX bike

Nice cx bike what frame is that looks lovely
  • Take one neglected, rusting Barry Hoban steed with a few late 90s alterations, add powder coating, a new bottom bracket and a new headset, and we have this "retro classic"...
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Would love a 2nd "winter" bike but until then I'll just continue to ride this, and clean it a little more often. Here she is relaxing after a 68 mile ride last Sunday. I thought I'd done 70 but was riding in KMS on the Cateye and miss calculated...

BathandNorthEastSomerset-20121007-00011_zps88bb5a12.jpg
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Nice bike!

Is this the Dolphin?
  • alfablue
    dawes.jpg

Dawes Audax 1997 vintage. Now has silver mudguards, Ti seatpost and brown bar tape.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Like others, my winter bike is my year-round bike but with mudguards on. They're not actually on yet, I'm holding out till after I've done the Winter Ballbuster Duathlon next month, and hoping there won't be too much cleaning involved in the mean time. I've swapped the saddle for a Fizik Arione and sorted out the stem with fewer spacers but otherwise it looks a bit like this.

388248_10150498830469595_1666353383_n.jpg
  • alfablue
    Very much like my summer bike! Is it the DA special?

Watch out for seatpost corrosion, my P-X alu seatpost, same as yours, started to corrode inside the seat tube and was difficult to remove, some sort of electochemical reaction between the alu and carbon. I have heard of some getting completely stuck, swapped it for a Pro-Lite carbon one (£50).
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    alfablue wrote:
    Nice bike!

Is this the Dolphin?

Yes mate, just finished the Bath to Chew ride last Sunday, and having a cheeky pint on the way back home to Bristol.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    6B3032DA-4F4F-4DBB-8B10-6BCFB1ABAB80-1315-0000010B3C149FDB.jpg

My commuter all ready for winter.

Need an inline seat post and turn the bars around a tad.. Other than that she's great.. Probably around 8.5 kg
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    alfablue wrote:
    Very much like my summer bike! Is it the DA special?

Watch out for seatpost corrosion, my P-X alu seatpost, same as yours, started to corrode inside the seat tube and was difficult to remove, some sort of electochemical reaction between the alu and carbon. I have heard of some getting completely stuck, swapped it for a Pro-Lite carbon one (£50).

Yes, this was the Dura Ace build offer about four years ago when it was just under a grand. Virtually unchanged since then besides saddle and tyres.

Thanks for the warning. As I say, I've had it a while now and not had any problems, but I used to be more of a fair-weather rider so it's not received too much abuse from the elements. I might upgrade to carbon if I'm feeling flush.
  • Here's mine! Not strictly a winter bike, more like all in one. I have a set of Race Blades to put on and will undoubtedly need to change the tyres soon.

Bought in March 2003, still going strong, new wheels, pedals and drivetrain this year so has many miles left to go!

It generally puts up with Surrey lanes and the occasional outing in West Wales.

156F3CA8-D052-45B7-90E9-2462C0623DB5-7734-00000663964557E5.jpg?t=1350325952
  • alfablue
    I love the look of that bike! Looking like a classic now.
  • brand new but my only bike, just started road riding after years of off road mtb.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8795735/