World Road Race - Men ***Spoilers***

Comments

• RichN95 wrote:
    There's greatness ahead for both, but to win the Worlds aged 21? I think only talentless donkeys can mange that, not racehorses.

Didn't Armstrong win the Worlds at 22? Oh, yeah right... :oops:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    I didnt expect him to win. However, he could have done some softening up or gone in a break.

We don't know what Bettini told him to do, but from his pre-race comments he was probably told to sit in and wait for the final sprint, if he made it there. Which is a lot easier said than done.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's greatness ahead for both, but to win the Worlds aged 21? I think only talentless donkeys can mange that, not racehorses.

Didn't Armstrong win the Worlds at 22? Oh, yeah right... :oops:

He was actually 21. But that was what I was referencing. (I've always found the idea put forward by some that Armstrong was some sort of donkey pre-Ferrari very odd - but that's not a debate for today).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I think it would be more of a surprise if a 21 year old got any kind of result at a World RR than not, it's an old man's race. And I'm not even sure I saw anyone hype Moser before the race. Think it's a bit harsh to criticise him for not getting any kind of result.

I was making a more general comment, not really directing it at any one rider. As regards Moser, he falls into the same category as Nicolas Roche; both have stupidly successful Fathers and both have failed to show the same talent (although it's clearly early days for Moser).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Moreno Moser is Francesco Moser's nephew, not his son. His dad, Diego, was a pro but not as successful as his kid brother.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Whoa now. Moser as a 21 year old neo-pro:

1 Trofeo Laigueglia
    7 Settimana Coppi e Bartali
    5 Giro della Toscana
    1 Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt
    2 Trofeo Melinda
    3 Tour de Suisse, Stage 1 : Lugano - Lugano I.T.T.
    3 National Championships Italy (Borgo Valsugana) R.R.
    5 National Championships Italy (Levico Terme) I.T.T.
    1 Tour de Pologne, Stage 1 : Karpacz - Jelenia Gora
    1 Tour de Pologne, Stage 6 : Bukowina Tatrzanska - Bukowina Tatrzanska
    1 Tour de Pologne (overall win)
    2 GP de Montréal

That is showing plenty of talent.
  • I was making a more general comment, not really directing it at any one rider. As regards Moser, he falls into the same category as Nicolas Roche; both have stupidly successful Fathers and both have failed to show the same talent (although it's clearly early days for Moser).

Flippin' eck, tough crowd! First year pro fails to show talent. :shock:
  • Turfle wrote:
    Whoa now. Moser as a 21 year old neo-pro:

1 Trofeo Laigueglia
    7 Settimana Coppi e Bartali
    5 Giro della Toscana
    1 Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt
    2 Trofeo Melinda
    3 Tour de Suisse, Stage 1 : Lugano - Lugano I.T.T.
    3 National Championships Italy (Borgo Valsugana) R.R.
    5 National Championships Italy (Levico Terme) I.T.T.
    1 Tour de Pologne, Stage 1 : Karpacz - Jelenia Gora
    1 Tour de Pologne, Stage 6 : Bukowina Tatrzanska - Bukowina Tatrzanska
    1 Tour de Pologne (overall win)
    2 GP de Montréal

That is showing plenty of talent.

Yep, which is pretty much why I was expecting him to show something. I can roll out quite a few photos of him. Anyway, it's fine, I don't mind if he did or didn't, he will come seriously good in the future.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • menrr-caubergbig_zps2f1bbf41.jpg?t=1348429476
    Contador is the Greatest
  • In case it hasn't been mentioned. Gilbert said his speedo read 60km/h in the final km. Tailwind and big ring riding.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I wonder what is going through Contador's mind here:

bettiniphoto_0122646_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    I think this was definitely the fans favourite.

philippe_gilbert_sur_le_podium_des_championnats_du_monde.jpg

I don't think the forum has ever being so together in congratulating a winner of any men's race before.
    Did what we all knew he was capable of, in style.

"This is where I inject myself"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    A3gNf_mCQAAfL8l.jpg:large

Thanks for not making me do a real ban
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Just watched on the Sky +

Great race. All the favourites + 2 Irishmen there for the finale.

Gilbert does what he does best.

GB rode well for a team with no chance.

JTL looked grand in big company.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I wonder what is going through Contador's mind here:

Thanks for not making me do a real ban

Look - no needle marks?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I've also decided Nibali was a mug to try and out Gilbert Gilbert.

Belgians were particularly good today. The more I think about it the better their performance was...

More or less had everything either covered or under control.
  • RichN95.
    I've also decided Nibali was a mug to try and out Gilbert Gilbert.
    I reckon he was just trying to get a medal getting move going. Just doing the best he can.

What I've decided is that Kolobnev actually wants to come second. First doesn't interest him, only second will do. I guess he just really likes silver.
  • Well I've decided that Edvald Boasson Hagen needs a haircut.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    andyp wrote:
    Moreno Moser is Francesco Moser's nephew, not his son. His dad, Diego, was a pro but not as successful as his kid brother.

Aah - my bad. I thought he was his son.
  • The sight of fat pat just makes me sick , even worse him giving Valverde a medal
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Come to think of it, Valverde's barnet needs a bit of work as well.

bettiniphoto_0122688_1_full_600.jpg
  • RichN95.
    Come to think of it, Valverde's barnet needs a bit of work as well.
    It's had plenty of work. I expect in Spain there are adverts on the back of Spanish newspapers featuring it.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's had plenty of work. I expect in Spain there are adverts on the back of Spanish newspapers featuring it.

The Spanish Shane Warne?
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

The Spanish Shane Warne?
    Exactly.
    I don't know if he's done adverts, but he's definitely had the gardeners in.
  • oops. wrong thread. :oops:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Moser - did not even see the guy once.
    You really expected something from a 21 year old?
    He had the hype, was set out as a joint leader, and yes this boy can absolutely go especially on the uphill.
    Moser helped Nibali right up to nearly the end - e.g. he was in front as pacemaker for Nibali on the last descent from Bemmelberg to Cauberg, so before the last 6-7 km.
    On the last Cauberg he then eased up and lost over 2 mins, but before then he did valuable team work.

I'm surprised posters aren't critical of the GB team selection of Wiggins and Froome. They should have helped JTL or Stannard, or if they didn't feel up to it because of the Vuelta/too many beers, they should have admitted such before team selection was finalised.
    I don't agree with including them in a team selection and then excusing their lame performances based what they've achieved already this season - there are other GB riders who would have relished the experience and gained from it, even if they were basically no-hopers and weren't able to contribute any more than Wiggins/Froome.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    I'm surprised posters aren't critical of the GB team selection of Wiggins and Froome.
    Who would you include instead? Thomas and Millar excused themselves, Blythe and Fenn are inexperienced youngsters and Kennaugh has barely ridden road all year. We're not a nation with many options.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well I've decided that Edvald Boasson Hagen needs a haircut.

Need a mod haircut to ride for Sky these days - think that's the best he can pull off... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver