World Road Race - Men ***Spoilers***

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Stupid In-laws and their stupid anniversary lunch....
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Just met Bradley Wiggins at his hotel - another autograph in my copy of "The Rider" :D

He looked fit and healthy.

GO TEAM GB!!!!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • There are so many who could win this. It's going to be epic. Having watched the women's race, I genuinely cannot wait until they are coming up the Cauberg for the last time.

I'm going to go with Sagan.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Great atmosphere today for the womens race, cant wait for tomorrow. Caulberg was great today, need to decide on tomorrows viewing sharpish.

For some reason I think GB could get something tomorrow!!

erm dutch beer talk - in reality we probably dont have a rider for this course.
  • Don't think we'll see an epic type race, like the women's was today. It will probably be a sprint from an elite group of around 15-20 riders.

Oh and weather forcast says rain in the afternoon.
  • pottssteve
    Mooro wrote:
    Great atmosphere today for the womens race, cant wait for tomorrow. Caulberg was great today, need to decide on tomorrows viewing sharpish.

For some reason I think GB could get something tomorrow!!

erm dutch beer talk - in reality we probably dont have a rider for this course.

Glad you enjoyed it! :) I was watching down in Maastricht.

Forecast is indeed for rain, together with force 4 wind from the East. Should be fun.

Steve
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Can't really believe what inrng is saying about the Dutch planning to display coded SMS messages to the riders on roadside boards!!

dutchmatrix.jpg

Hopefully see the end of the race tomorrow. Should be good.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    As much as I'd love to see Cav storming up the Caulberg to take the rainbow jersey again my head is telling me Sagan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... _interview

Anyone find a way to play this interview?

Let me know.... Loong Boonen interview apparently.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I went for Breschel in PTP. Always there or thereabouts in long races, and could pose a threat if the big favourites look at each other and let a group get away. Very open race this year IMO.
  • Stupid In-laws and their stupid anniversary lunch....

you'd think people would check the sporting calenders before organizing things!

Big day of sport though tomorrow:

-Singapore GP
    -Man Utd vs. Liverpool
    -Man City vs. Arsenal
    -World Road Race

Torn between the Utd game and the road race to be honest.. will probably end up watching the cycling though.
  • rick_chasey
    Seems all the races are pretty crash marred so far.

Doubt the men's will be much different I suspect.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It did seem quite narrow in places, that was a terrible crash in the womens road race today.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    afx237vi wrote:
    I went for Breschel in PTP. Always there or thereabouts in long races, and could pose a threat if the big favourites look at each other and let a group get away. Very open race this year IMO.
    Good call.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    This is gonna be an awesome race of cycling hardmen!

I reckon theres gonna be a selection of maybes 15 as they approach the final climb, and any could win. While my money is on Boonen or Contador, i cant help but think that GB has something planned for Wiggo or Froome.

Cant wait!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • rick_chasey
    Contador won't win.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Contador won't win.

Valverde might.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.
  • pottssteve
    Final Day!

Current weather is grey and overcast. Road surface will be wet in places = dangerous.

Yesterday's women's crash happened on one of the wider sections!

The narrow bit of the circuit is the Molenweg on the outskirts of Maastricht - the drempels get slippy when damp, too. A couple of tight corners to navigate. The run into Valkenburg down the Dahlemerweg is also dodgy. Very fast, quite narrow, and it will stay damp due to the overhanging trees.

Junior's race kicks off at 09.00 CET. They follow the same route at the women - 8 laps of the circuit. Men's starts at 10.45 at the market square in Maastricht. It's a long race on a cold, damp day...

Should be interesting, and the winner may well be the guy who's luck holds...

Steve
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Gilbert FTW, hopefully...

But yeah, its going to be very open, can't wait!
    Mañana
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'd love Cav to retain his title, but as that seems unlikely then my only wish is that whoever wins isn't a dirty scumbag.
  • Stupid In-laws and their stupid anniversary lunch....

you'd think people would check the sporting calenders before organizing things!

Big day of sport though tomorrow:

-Singapore GP
    -Man Utd vs. Liverpool
    -Man City vs. Arsenal
    -World Road Race

Torn between the Utd game and the road race to be honest.. will probably end up watching the cycling though.

The Man U match starts at the mid point of the race, so you should have time to watch it and then go back for the last few laps
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    FFS! Why aren't ITV4 showing the race? Which UK channel is it on?
  • BBC red button.

Anybody got an idea of what time it will finish? I'm guessing 2.30pm-ish UK time?
  • I'd love Cav to retain his title, but as that seems unlikely then my only wish is that whoever wins isn't a dirty scumbag.

It's OK, as Rick says, Contador won't win. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Wiggo saying JTL is team leader for GB (can't remember where sorry) Might cause some excitement, although I confess I can't see him getting one over the Belgians or Spanish...

Team GSkyB are still crap 1 day races too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

What, like last year? :wink:

Think your right though, don't see a British rider winning this race.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Even then that was a thirty second awesomeness from Wiggo and then Cav all on his own...and it was flat.

And 1 race out of 2/3 seasons of classics debacles does nt vary the overall trend much!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Even then that was a thirty second awesomeness from Wiggo and then Cav all on his own...and it was flat.

And 1 race out of 2/3 seasons of classics debacles does nt vary the overall trend much!

I'm agreeing with you!

work.4793288.1.sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,f8f8f8.chill-winston-v1.png
  • ddraver wrote:

Cummings, Froome, Wiggo and Millar were awesome last year. Have to agree that GB wont be in the mix this time around :( Hope I'm wrong! Spain have a strong team this year.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    garethjohn wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Cummings, Froome, Wiggo and Millar were awesome last year. Have to agree that GB wont be in the mix this time around :( Hope I'm wrong! Spain have a strong team this year.

I can't see them being in the mix if it comes to a sprint up the Cauberg, but I can see them being in the mix if it comes to getting into the right breaks at the right time. Just hoping they are a very active team today.