World Road Race - Men ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sure. The prize money is irrelevant because you'll make a lot more elsewhere. I'd suggest you'd probably get more money at a crit as world champ than you would from winning the race.

I don't think the jersey is about money though, it's almost about something money can't buy.

*The Mad Rapper becomes teary eyed and nostalgic*

Not really - you can buy Chinese replicas of the jersey very cheap on a well known internet auction site ;)
  • DD, what did Sagan do? Seriously. He looked good covering one attack. That was it. Moser - did not even see the guy once.

Contador - attacked twice, second time forming a very dangerous group. Then rode on the front for a while towards the end. Proper team work from him today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross wrote:
    TONY.M wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Btw, if I ever see another race with no time info or distance bar in the top, I will hurt a canary.
    I already did and beat up the neighbours cat too... The Beeb coverage is not enough so I just used the cyclingnews live updates on the phone at the same time to keep me up to date.

You do realise it wasn't the Beebs coverage don't you? Eurosport was exactly the same.

100km followed by 10 laps on a 16.5km circuit. It can't be that difficult to work out how far there is to the finish, can it?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think the Dutch need to go and chat with Vos to learn how to race. Amateurs today. And on a home course too. Fail.

Unfortunately for the Dutch men they don't have a rider who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the peloton. They don't even have anyone you'd have listed in the top 10 contenders. Maybe not in the top 20.
  • Moser - did not even see the guy once.

You really expected something from a 21 year old?
  • Turfle wrote:
    I think the Dutch need to go and chat with Vos to learn how to race. Amateurs today. And on a home course too. Fail.

Unfortunately for the Dutch men they don't have a rider who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the peloton. They don't even have anyone you'd have listed in the top 10 contenders. Maybe not in the top 20.

And yet Boom finished 5th. I would say that's a good result for them.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Moser - did not even see the guy once.

Should age really matter? Look at Sagan at this year's TdF, or Cav in previous years. Ultimately, talent always rises to the top.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Turfle wrote:

Yeah this, The Dutch are'nt good enough at the moment. They have the same problem as the England Football Team IMO, all bark, no bite

Who ll remember who was 5th next year?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Should age really matter? Look at Sagan at this year's TdF, or Cav in previous years. Ultimately, talent always rises to the top.

Look at Gilbert and how long it took himn to be world class.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Turfle wrote:

And yet Boom finished 5th. I would say that's a good result for them.

Yep. And they were unlucky to lose Terpstra behind the big crash too.

And agree re: Moser. That he was in that front group with 18k to go was very impressive.
  • TMR
    ddraver wrote:
    Who ll remember who was 5th next year?

The guy who finished 5th? :wink:
  • Moser - did not even see the guy once.

He had the hype, was set out as a joint leader, and yes this boy can absolutely go especially on the uphill.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR

He's one rider, and goodness only knows what one could credit his transformation down to, but my point stands I think.
  • I think this was definitely the fans favourite.

philippe_gilbert_sur_le_podium_des_championnats_du_monde.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Yes, all the Dutch men needed to do was reduce the talent pool so there are only about 10 decent riders, pick the best one of those ten, give them the best team and a course ideal suited to their abilities.

Why didn't Van Vliet think of that?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001

He's one rider, and goodness only knows what one could credit his transformation down to, but my point stands I think.

The peloton getting cleaner?
  • Should age really matter? Look at Sagan at this year's TdF, or Cav in previous years. Ultimately, talent always rises to the top.

I think it would be more of a surprise if a 21 year old got any kind of result at a World RR than not, it's an old man's race. And I'm not even sure I saw anyone hype Moser before the race. Think it's a bit harsh to criticise him for not getting any kind of result.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    I think this was definitely the fans favourite.

Certainly in that area - It's basically Belgium anyway!
    - @ddraver
  • philippe_gilbert_s_impose_en_solitaire_zps73833538.jpg?t=1348424355
    Contador is the Greatest
  • QOTD from @MarkCavendish "Well, I know one thing: Amstel's a race I'm never gonna fucking do."
    -Millar on twitter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    The Italian press are very interested in Bettini's tactics pre-race. With the policy the federation has adopted, Bettini is extremely restricted in who he can pick so he has to talk up riders who, normally, wouldn't get near the team. Poor Moser has had a decent debut season so Bettini was probably asked what his plans were and his answer ends up getting translated into English, hence the 'hype'.

I think most seasoned observers know that neo-pros are rarely in the mix on the last lap of a world championship due to the length of the race.
  • I didnt expect him to win. However, he could have done some softening up or gone in a break.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Delighted for Gilbert - a very worthy champion.

If a GB rider couldn't win, my hope was either Gilbert, Rodriguez or Eddy Boas.
  • I'm sure many has said it, but it was awesome to see the new generation of GB riders on the big stage. All the b****** about the footballers golden generation, this is a seriously good group!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2012
    I didnt expect him to win. However, he could have done some softening up or gone in a break.
    He's there for a learning experience. I think the World's has a different feel to it. Also, I don't think he's done a race that long before. As for Sagan, for all his talents, he's yet to win a decent one day race.

There's greatness ahead for both, but to win the Worlds aged 21? I think only talentless donkeys can mange that, not racehorses.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks like he was wearing the world champion jersey anyway?

Before, blue background, black yellow red stripes:

philippe_gilbert_s_impose_en_solitaire_zps73833538.jpg?t=1348424355

After, white background, blue red black yellow green stripes:

• Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's greatness ahead for both, but to win the Worlds aged 21? I think only talentless donkeys can mange that, not racehorses.

Call me picky, but I don't understand that.

On that basis, I could win the elite mens world championship. :)
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Delighted to see Phil win the big one - when the hell are GB going to change that horrible team strip ! it's not the worst tho that belongs to Spain WTF 8)