Hamilton's autobiography *spoilers*

Comments

• Assistant to the Travelling Secretary?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Hang tight rick, you never know, the UCI might be recruiting soon!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

Yeah.

Given it's 99% certain I'm not going to be in a job after tomorrow that's not an enormous concern for me.

Sorry to hear that Rick, take it your being pushed rather than jumping?

At least it leaves you free to go after that ITV commentary role or the DS job with Lefevre.

Yeah.

I've said it before - I spend a lot of time on here out of necessity to stop me from being bored rather than avoiding any work.

They're pleased with my work. It's just they're not getting anywhere near enough in to make my presence worthwhile.

Anyway, I'll stop moaning. :P

Buy the book when it's paperback.

Cheers Rick, will do.

I had a cushy job like that once, think that's when I joined this forum actually. It was easy and the money was good, but with the economy going down the loo I knew what was coming so jumped before I was pushed. It was funny because I had the grandest job title (it started with the word "Global") but actually just pushed paper round the desk all day.

Annoying that I earn pretty much the same now as I was then but have a whole lot more hassle.

Tough break, Rick - sorry to hear that.
    I'll give you all the moral support I can muster if you'll seriously consider going into TV commentary - even if you've got a voice like an angle-grinder on sheet metal and the delivery of a bad wedding DJ, you'll be better than Anthony McCrossan and Hugh Porter...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Could you consider radio rather than tv? Not sure I could cope with a glimpse of the red trousers....
  • PBo wrote:
    Could you consider radio rather than tv? Not sure I could cope with a glimpse of the red trousers....

Do you think you could pull off Red trouser for the Vuelta, Pink for the Giro and Yellow for the Tour. That would be properly metrosexual.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    PBo wrote:

Do you think you could pull off Red trouser for the Vuelta, Pink for the Giro and Yellow for the Tour. That would be properly metrosexual.

I'm better looking that Ned Boulting, and I have the hairline that makes middle aged men (in lycra) feel at ease.

;).
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Sorry to hear that Rick and all the best for the future. That's more dramatic news than anything I've read in the first third of the book so far (thanks Amazon).

On my way to Dumfries now. Wonder how many riders have a copy?
  • PBo wrote:

I'm better looking that Ned Boulting, and I have the hairline that makes middle aged men (in lycra) feel at ease.

;).

Going bald is a sign of manliness :wink:

Not sure about how the red trousers fit in with that though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • PBo wrote:

;).

Going bald is a sign of manliness :wink:

Not sure about how the red trousers fit in with that though.

Unemployed. bald... Are you, in fact, George Costanza?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    PBo wrote:

;).

Perhaps now is time to get your series of weekly pro-cycling podcasts off the ground. Good luck!
  • Just had an email from amazon to say the Kindle release date of the book has been pushed back by a week.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    PBo wrote:

;).
    Sky (the team, not the company) said on twitter that they're looking for a junior reporter for their website. There's your start.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    PBo wrote:

;).
    Sky (the team, not the company) said on twitter that they're looking for a junior reporter for their website. There's your start.

From Sky Website:

Race Report from Leige van Roubaix Classic

Sky rider Geraint Wiggins got absolutely tonked today by TOM BOONEN who stole the show by attacking from 100KM out. Sky put their whole team on the front to try and bring him back but were frankly a bit rubbish and before long TOM BOONEN had increased his gap to 10 minutes, though his gap had decreased to 5 minutes by the finish after BOONEN got off his bike and enjoyed a Leffe Blonde in a roadside bar with his adoring Flemish fans. Twelve year old Rick Chasey, who was lucky enough to meet the great man said "This is the greatest moment of my life, even better than when I dropped my club mates on Box Hill".

Full Results:
    1. Tom Boonen
    2. Everybody else

CLICK HERE for an exclusive photo gallery, courtesy of our new photojournalist Frenchfighter!
  • rick_chasey
    Sounds f*cking quality.

I assume you're not taking the p!ss rich?

I'll have a gander and apply after I inevitably head home after my 11 o'clock meeting.
  • Sounds f*cking quality.

I'll have a gander and apply after I inevitably head home after my 11 o'clock meeting.

That's some shift you're putting in there!

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Sounds f*cking quality.

That's some shift you're putting in there!

Tomorrow.
  • If you're that certain of getting bulleted, just apply now.

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sounds f*cking quality.

No, it's genuine. The links were on @teamsky.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    If you're that certain of getting bulleted, just apply now.

Yeah
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All this in Hamilton's autobiography?
  • IanLD
    Well I'm half way through now and plenty of boring facts about how much and when they doped but haven't reached Rick's drama yet.

I'll have it finished tonight and I'd agree with Rick about waiting for the paperback. Nothing in it so far that hasn't been covered here plenty of times before
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    IanLD wrote:
    Nothing in it so far that hasn't been covered here plenty of times before
    Maybe, but it's different it see it in 'black and white' from the 'horse's mouth' rather than just as a series of rumours...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    nic_77 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:
    Maybe, but it's different it see it in 'black and white' from the 'horse's mouth' rather than just as a series of rumours...

I'm not for or against anyone on this issue but I don't agree that you have heard this from the horses mouth just yet. LA has not talked yet and what you see in black and white can sometimes be, oh shall we say, misleading, pumped up a bit to sell copy, pure fiction, and / or pure truth(as TH said he saw it).
  • IanLD
    So unless we get a full confession from Pharmstrong, you're never going to believe what everyone says even when it all interlinks and confirms what others have said?

Page 163, 8 lines up from the bottom, 2nd last word is a name I didn't expect to see in a book :shock:

Might take back that we've already discussed most of it on here. Oh and I do agree that it is different to hear it directly from the horses mouth. Think I was spoiled by David Millar's book.
  • Yes, i thought that.

Overall i'm surprised at how directly everone is named in the book there's no 'my italian team mate' type cover ups.

Good book, very open and believable. Certainly better than riis or roche this summer.
  • dennisn wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

I'm not for or against anyone on this issue but I don't agree that you have heard this from the horses mouth just yet. LA has not talked yet and what you see in black and white can sometimes be, oh shall we say, misleading, pumped up a bit to sell copy, pure fiction, and / or pure truth(as TH said he saw it).

If you actually read the book you'd find that it's co-written by Daniel Coyle, who researched Hamilton's claims, corroborated evidence, interviewed team-mates etc. There are lengthy quotes from a fair few team-mates that back Hamilton up. It's far from being "one man's word".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • IanLD wrote:
    So unless we get a full confession from Pharmstrong, you're never going to believe what everyone says even when it all interlinks and confirms what others have said?

Page 163, 8 lines up from the bottom, 2nd last word is a name I didn't expect to see in a book :shock:

Might take back that we've already discussed most of it on here. Oh and I do agree that it is different to hear it directly from the horses mouth. Think I was spoiled by David Millar's book.

And a hint for the benefit of those without the book (or with Kindle editions with no real page numbers...)?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    IanLD wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying. True or false or in between book, I don't really care. I'm simply saying that it's not "the horse" talking. It's ANOTHER person talking ABOUT the horse. Big difference to me
    but maybe not to you. How accurately do you think someone who knows you could tell your story?
    I'm pretty sure you know more about you than they do. That's all I'm saying. :wink:
  • IanLD
    I can see what you are saying there, but if he never does confess are you never going to accept what has been said?

I don't mean every small detail as I'm sure that despite best intentions, Tyler, Floyd, Betsy, Frankie, Filippo etc haven't been 100% verbatim in their accounts of what Lance said, or did, but more and more is coming out that continues to back up the statements that have been made elsewhere.

I'm glad I bought the book as it has at least confirmed what I thought about Tyler being a nice guy. Pity it all went wrong and that he denied it for so long, but he had a decent side as well as his rides with broken collar bone etc.