Hamilton's autobiography *spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    LangerDan wrote:
    My Amazon search pulled up another book by "Tyler Hamilton" - "Mad Like Tesla: Underdog Inventors and their Relentless Pursuit of Clean Energy" :)
    Thomas Edison, an 'American hero', was really a corrupt bully who was backed by the authorities starstruck by his fame. "I'm not corrupt, I've been granted 500 patents", he'd say and the fanboys lapped it up and bought his yellow lightbulbs. Meanwhile those who spoke against him like Tesla were blackballed and ruined without pity.

Reviewers comment: "I don't believe Edison was an are*hole and I never will"

Same sh1t different book.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tremayne wrote:
    The Times has a rather nice/juicy double page extract from Hamiltons book. Just read it - very good reading.

Book is going to be fantastic.

Is that in the print edition? I may go out and buy it
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Times headline for the extract today:

"Hey Dude, have you got any EPO I can borrow?"
  • NYVelocity reporting on twitter that his appearance on TV is pretty bad. Bad delivery and in need of media training apparently. Nothing on what he's actually saying.

Edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtbvbp ... 9-12_sport
  • I only managed to catch the last couple of minutes on the stream. Dan Coyle was with him, and that might be the best tactic as much as possible for at least live interviews. I probably missed it but Coyle must surely be stressing that he correborated Hamilton's account with the other 9 ex-team mates. Got to get that across.
  • I only managed to catch the last couple of minutes on the stream. Dan Coyle was with him, and that might be the best tactic as much as possible for at least live interviews. I probably missed it but Coyle must surely be stressing that he correborated Hamilton's account with the other 9 ex-team mates. Got to get that across.
    Yeah he did, talks about, wives, girlfriends, mechanics, etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtbvbp ... 9-12_sport

is the video of some of it anyway.

2 things having watched the first 2 minutes.

#1. American's chat is amazing for TV. All of them. They all talk in lovely soundbites. All the time.

#2. Hamilton looks a broken man compared to the last time I saw him being interviewed (which was a while ago - at a race).
  • Just watched it all the way through. Hamilton doesnt come across badly at all, in my view. Though as I said, he needed Coyle to add his two'pennoth, to make sure some of the most important points get across e.g. UCI cover-up over the 01 postive.

The problem with NYVelocity and all that Twitterati crowd is that they seem to feel that they have so much skin in the game, they come across as being so personally involved in Armstrong being brought down. So Hamilton needs media training...right..he could do with a bit of a scrub up hair-wise, granted, but he didnt come across badly. He was calm, quietly-spoken, but for him to come across as all sound-bite and assertive would just be so counter-productive.
  • Just watched it all the way through. Hamilton doesnt come across badly at all, in my view. Though as I said, he needed Coyle to add his two'pennoth, to make sure some of the most important points get across e.g. UCI cover-up over the 01 postive.

The problem with NYVelocity and all that Twitterati crowd is that they seem to feel that they have so much skin in the game, they come across as being so personally involved in Armstrong being brought down. So Hamilton needs media training...right..he could do with a bit of a scrub up hair-wise, granted, but he didnt come across badly. He was calm, quietly-spoken, but for him to come across as all sound-bite and assertive would just be so counter-productive.
    Agreed, I thought he was fine. Best line for me was his response to Armstrongs statement about the book being all about the money. He simply replied, 'It's the truth.', not much you can say to that really.
  • and hugely significant point in the interview: Armstrong's statement in response to the book was read out and not one word of actual denial. All talk of old history and greedy opportunism, but no denial
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    The shoot is really hitting the fan here in Denmark.

Jørgen Leth has weighed in saying he thinks Hamilton's accusations are "likley true".

If you don't know Leth, he made "A Sunday In Hell" (watch it if you haven't already) and is the voice of cycling in Denmark. He's been commentating since before I was born (don't ask, a long time ago).

Previously he's been very, very supportive of Riis.

A sunday in hell. Great film that even non cyclists get. wiggins should watch to see what real sideburns look like :)

go compare!
    http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/gallerie ... story.html
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtbvbp_hamilton-today-show-5-9-12_sport

is the video of some of it anyway.

2 things having watched the first 2 minutes.

#1. American's chat is amazing for TV. All of them. They all talk in lovely soundbites. All the time.

#2. Hamilton looks a broken man compared to the last time I saw him being interviewed (which was a while ago - at a race).

...having watched the last 2 minutes: Pippa is coming to New York, folks!

Other than that I thought as well that Tyler didn't look particular confident. Whatever Dan said, he [dan] said it so much more succulently.

American interview(ee)s are all about soundbites: "absolutely fantastic working with this director" "we are so so happy together" "I feel so much better like having lost 6 stone"
  • tremayne wrote:
    The Times has a rather nice/juicy double page extract from Hamiltons book. Just read it - very good reading.

Book is going to be fantastic.

Is that in the print edition? I may go out and buy it

Yes - the print newspaper. Worth a read - but you could probably read it in 5mins and save buying the paper! Great headline as already reported. Something like "hey dude - can I borrow some EPO".

For a two page article, its remarkably good. I already feel like I have some idea of what it was all about. He refers to having drugs in the bloodstream that are detectable as 'glowing' and that it was all about 'glow time' and trying to reduce it to an absolute minimum.

This was when they realised that injecting the epo direct into a vein rather than subcutaneous tissue (ie bum) was the key. This meant a daily dose - but it cleared the system so much faster. Fast enough the by injecting at 2201hrs (testing finishes at 2200hrs) they could pretty much be assured of being clear by the morning.

The book (when I get my hands on it) is going to be magnificent.

Its all very clear that - IT ISNT ABOUT THE LANCE.

By most accounts; a nasty, bullying, epo'd, self centred maniac - but we have to look at the UCI. They helped create the situation and if you don't agree that they helped - they at very best stood there and let it happen (though I don't buy that).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If anyone is getting hard copies from the USA can they please pick me up one?
  • One of our NY admin assistants on her way to the nearest bookshop to our office to pick me up my copy this evening... :D
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Got my copy on order from Amazon. Hope to get it on Wednesday next week.

Really looking forward to it and going to read Racing Through The Dark again before I get it to see how it compares.

OK - can't wait for Pharmstrong details too... :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    I remember, after my suspension ended in 2007, I rode for Tinkoff Credit Systems. One day, right in front of the whole team, the subject of doping came up. I remember [team owner Oleg Tinkoff] said, “I don’t care what you guys do, just don’t get caught.” That was my first experience, coming back after two-and-a-half years of not racing.
  • Yeah, that para about Tinkoff is HUGE.

Is it any wonder that Mr Tinki tweeted his support of Riis the other day?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I liked his last comment.
    Yeah. I would have been pissed, too, if I were on the other side of the fence. But this is my story; I have the right to tell the truth. I feel like the sport of cycling needs to hear the truth. Nobody has ever told it like this. And it’s ugly.
  • There's also a Q&A with Hamilton and Coyle on Velonews which is worth a read:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/ ... ors_237632
  • That's interesting. Museeuw could have keep quiet, sticking with just the 'final year' stance. But he's coming out with these statements and taking the platform of truth and reconciliation. Significant because he's a monument figure in the sport
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I like this - Cecchini 'livid' that Fuentes gets the credit for Hamilton's preparation
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/09/cecchi ... legations/

The Lance confession one is good too :lol:
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/08/lance- ... e-alimony/
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Mccaria wrote:

Well said. This could be epic. A few more of his calibre speaking up would help.

He's right about not changing the results too.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    So is he saying he doped for the rest of his career too?
    S'not clear in either English or Dutch.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    So is he saying he doped for the rest of his career too?
    S'not clear in either English or Dutch.

Yep, it seems like he is. I'd love to know how this is received in Belgium... anyone?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rick_chasey
    I'll get back to you on that.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Timoid. wrote:
    Mccaria wrote:

Well said. This could be epic. A few more of his calibre speaking up would help.

He's right about not changing the results too.

Its good he's come forward, but while I understand the pointlessness of changing the result , NOT changing the result allows Museeuw and others to keep their palmares and their winnings which isn't quite fair either.

It would be nice if there was some form of (non-UCI) young rider development scheme (like a multi-national Dave Rayner fund) where the Museeuws of the sport could say "Yup, I've done wrong and as a gesture, here's x % of what I've won to prove I'm sincere about this"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • So is he going to make a few bucks out of this biography or what.

Book review:
    http://inrng.com/2012/09/book-review-se ... more-10777

It is disturbing to see the apparent extent of the UCI’s complacently. I am not a fan of conspiracy theories but Tyler makes a very compelling case for a special relationship between Armstrong and the UCI. The book claims they ignored his doping and did his bidding if the competition got too close. It is perhaps the most disturbing part of the book and warrants further official examination.
    Contador is the Greatest