Hamilton's autobiography *spoilers*

Comments

• ratherbeintobago
    ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
    edited September 2012
    Not showing in the Kindle store at the moment.

It's been pulled, disappointingly. More disappointingly as an Amazon UK customer, I can't order from the US store.

Edit - found it

Andy
  • Before adding
    I did not cross the bridge
    Is he inferring Riis offered him passage across the bridge?

That's how I read it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Wow. Interesting stuff. Arvesen talking like many more should be. I think the Sastre comment is more lost in translation than anything else. Arvesen's comments are more telling.

Personally I do think Tyler is telling the truth and using this as a form of therapy. I can't see why he'd invent things like the Riis accusation. Yes, he stands to make money, but this is the first time someone has really pulled away the veil that shrouds doping in cycling.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • I think David Millar did start it with his book last year, but was held back by both UK libel laws and also the fact that he's still a rider
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Before adding

That's how I read it.

S'not how I did.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Timoid. wrote:
    Wow. Interesting stuff. Arvesen talking like many more should be. I think the Sastre comment is more lost in translation than anything else. Arvesen's comments are more telling.

I've clicked on a few links but can't find those riders' comments. Which link, please?
  • timoid.
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I've clicked on a few links but can't find those riders' comments. Which link, please?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arvesen ... csc-doubts
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Not showing in the Kindle store at the moment.

It's been pulled, disappointingly. More disappointingly as an Amazon UK customer, I can't order from the US store.

Edit - found it

Andy
    Thanks. Weird that it has the whole 'tell the publisher you want this title to appear on Kindle' blurb on the hardback page.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Before adding
    “In the end, it was Hamilton who took the chance,” he told sporten.dk. “It’s not Bjarne’s fault, it’s Hamilton’s fault. If I told you that you had to jump off a bridge, would you do it?”

Asked if Riis had ever introduced him to Fuentes, Sastre said, “I did not go over the bridge.”

Sastre went on to say that he did not know Fuentes and that Riis had never spoken to him of Fuentes.
    I'm also going with lost in translation. He seems to be implying one thing, and then out right denies it.
  • I think arguing over the inent behind two sentances uttered by a bloke we've never met is going to be unenlightneing.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    Before adding
    “In the end, it was Hamilton who took the chance,” he told sporten.dk. “It’s not Bjarne’s fault, it’s Hamilton’s fault. If I told you that you had to jump off a bridge, would you do it?”

Asked if Riis had ever introduced him to Fuentes, Sastre said, “I did not go over the bridge.”

Sastre went on to say that he did not know Fuentes and that Riis had never spoken to him of Fuentes.
    I'm also going with lost in translation. He seems to be implying one thing, and then out right denies it.
    Probably translation then. Didn't actually see the last sentence. Weird that they didn't put it in quotation marks.
  • Lichtblick
    I'm looking forward to reading this book and will order it as soon as it's discounted. :wink:

As I see it, Armstrong would still have everyone believe that he rode and won seven tours in a row, clean. This despite so many (dozens?) of other riders having been banned for drugs or for association with druggers, all riding alongside him in those seven Tours. They were all doing drugs but Oh No, Not him.

Why does he still deny?

An alternative POV put to me here by someone else, is that if it is accepted that they were all doing drugs those seven years, then yes, he did win. All on drugs = level playing field. His drugs were better than theirs, his worked, so, he won. (well, it's a point, of sorts..........)
  • Lichtblick
    Timoid. wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arvesen ... csc-doubts

Thank you. I always liked KAA and CSC were one of my favourite teams.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Lichtblick wrote:
    I'm looking forward to reading this book and will order it as soon as it's discounted. :wink:

As I see it, Armstrong would still have everyone believe that he rode and won seven tours in a row, clean. This despite so many (dozens?) of other riders having been banned for drugs or for association with druggers, all riding alongside him in those seven Tours. They were all doing drugs but Oh No, Not him.

Why does he still deny?

An alternative POV put to me here by someone else, is that if it is accepted that they were all doing drugs those seven years, then yes, he did win. All on drugs = level playing field. His drugs were better than theirs, his worked, so, he won. (well, it's a point, of sorts..........)

IT IS NOT A LEVEL FIELD! sigh.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    skylla wrote:
    No, it's not, and when was it ever? All the stuff about "super-responders" is just another stick to beat Armstrong with, isn't it? He'd be a nobody without the drugs, so we can look down on him all the more, right?
    It's not a level playing field, if it was then I wouldn't have a greater genetic predisposition to eat biscuits than BW, so I'd be the TdF champ.
  • bompington wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    No, it's not, and when was it ever? All the stuff about "super-responders" is just another stick to beat Armstrong with, isn't it? He'd be a nobody without the drugs, so we can look down on him all the more, right?
    It's not a level playing field, if it was then I wouldn't have a greater genetic predisposition to eat biscuits than BW, so I'd be the TdF champ.
    I don't see it as another stick to beat Armstrong with. Just a counter to those who say 'well doping is ok cause everyone was at it'.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Jaksche - "I asked if it was ethically okay to name my blood bags after my deceased dogs and he said ‘yes, it’s okay’"

Jesus wept. Nice to know that Jaksche and Fuentes have such finely tuned ethical sensitivities
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Jaksche - "I asked if it was ethically okay to name my blood bags after my deceased dogs and he said ‘yes, it’s okay’"

Jesus wept. Nice to know that Jaksche and Fuentes have such finely tuned ethical sensitivities
    I'm not sure how the irony of asking that considering what they were doing didn't hit them so hard they ended up on their backs!
  • skylla
    bompington wrote:
    skylla wrote:

Apart from the fact that biscuit intake is not regulated? It's so simple even you should understand.
  • timoid.
    LangerDan wrote:

Now this is a more damning statement of Riis:
    I didn’t want people like Bjarne Riis pointing the finger at me and telling the public how clean everyone on his team was clean. I didn’t want to live that lie and didn’t want to live with the hypocrisy.”

I really hope more and more people speak out frankly. A little more water and the dam could burst.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    skylla wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    skylla wrote:

Apart from the fact that biscuit intake is not regulated? It's so simple even you should understand.
    Obviously I'm too dim to have remembered to make it clear for the hard of thinking what anyone who had seen any of my recent posts on the subject would have read - that Armstrong is a stinking drug cheat & has behaved far worse than the rest of the stinking drug cheats, and that I would certainly like to see PEDs removed from sport entirely.
    But it still just seems to me, in my dimness, that some of the LA-haters would like to use any and every piece of evidence to show that he is a) the devil incarnate, and only ever has nefarious motives, and b) not a very good cyclist at all, in fact probably not a cyclist at all, if he wasn't on drugs. I just find this obsession a bit petty, that's all I was saying.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    The only thing that gets me is that Hamilton says how easy it is to avoid detection in the tests.

If that is the case then how many riders today are on the drugs. Makes you wonder.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • skylla
    bompington wrote:
    Obviously I'm too dim to have remembered to make it clear for the hard of thinking what anyone who had seen any of my recent posts on the subject would have read - that Armstrong is a stinking drug cheat & has behaved far worse than the rest of the stinking drug cheats, and that I would certainly like to see PEDs removed from sport entirely.
    But it still just seems to me, in my dimness, that some of the LA-haters would like to use any and every piece of evidence to show that he is a) the devil incarnate, and only ever has nefarious motives, and b) not a very good cyclist at all, in fact probably not a cyclist at all, if he wasn't on drugs. I just find this obsession a bit petty, that's all I was saying.

So dim you didn't even notice I never mentioned LA. What an obsession, eh?! So if that's all you were saying, why not say it right from the start that your own "obsession is a bit petty". Put it in your sig, I say!

So, again what I said was that if all contenders in a race turn to PEDs it does not create a level playing field, or for the pedantic among you: the field with PEDs is not the same as the field without. Simples.
  • Lichtblick
    To bompington and skylla, It wasn't my theory/idea, as I said:
    An alternative POV put to me here by someone else.....

I'm always glad when someone else at work has sufficient interest to have conversations about Pro Cycling.
    They could hardly not know how interested I am, since the Tour, the Olympics, and the Vuelta have all been on this computer in this office this year. (with sound muted :( )
  • skylla
    Lichtblick wrote:

I'm always glad when someone else at work has sufficient interest to have conversations about Pro Cycling.
    They could hardly not know how interested I am, since the Tour, the Olympics, and the Vuelta have all been on this computer in this office this year. (with sound muted :( )

I know, you're absolved. So tell them it does not create a level playing field - for a few reasons more than that were mentioned above, but that's for another day or thread.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lichtblick wrote:

I think that someone else was me. My view is that if everyone is cheating then the ability of an athlete to respond favourably to drugs just becomes another physical attribute - no difference to lung capacity or body shape. So in a 100% dirty sport, assuming no-one has access to magic beans, the playing field is a level as it is in a 100% clean field. A better doctor becomes no different than a better coach. And saying someone is successful just because they are a better responder is no different than saying they only won because they had bigger lungs.

'Better Responder' has become a get-out clause which permits people to demonize one doper (typically Armstrong) while still remaining fond of others (Pantani & Ullrich are favourites here). Some may even use it to portray their favourite doper as a victim. In reality they are all cheats, so don't complain that another cheat turned out to be a better cheat that your pet cheat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

I think that someone else was me. My view is that if everyone is cheating then the ability of an athlete to respond favourably to drugs just becomes another physical attribute - no difference to lung capacity or body shape. So in a 100% dirty sport, assuming no-one has access to magic beans, the playing field is a level as it is in a 100% clean field. A better doctor becomes no different than a better coach. And saying someone is successful just because they are a better responder is no different than saying they only won because they had bigger lungs.

'Better Responder' has become a get-out clause which permits people to demonize one doper (typically Armstrong) while still remaining fond of others (Pantani & Ullrich are favourites here). Some may even use it to portray their favourite doper as a victim. In reality they are all cheats, so don't complain that another cheat turned out to be a better cheat that your pet cheat.

Sorta reasonable points, but people have more time for Ullrich (especially) and Pantani because they were a loveable buffoon and histrionic panache-merchant respectively, (and not domineering, swaggering bullies at the head of a frat club of unlikeable strong-arm omerta-merchants), rather than because LA was a better cheat.

Strava is not Zen.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    RichN95 wrote:
    So in a 100% dirty sport
    It wasn't a 100% dirty sport though. Assuming Bassons was the only clean rider (and he wasn't) then Armstrong (and all the rest) still cheated him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

It's nothing to do with who you like and who you don't.

Having a better body for cheating than others is still not remotely fair.