Bring on the track events! *spoiler*

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Looked to me like Pendleton went above the sprinters line which led to the contact rather than the other way around. Not the way you want to see races decided but rules is/are/be rules.

The insinuations about Laura Trott on this thread belong in the clinic. Her performance in the omnium was definitely the highlight of the track programme for me, superb riding.
  • priory wrote:
    Do these rules say you can thump the other rider out of the way?

I'm sorry, I can't see it. At what point does Meares "thump" Pendleton? Looks to me like Pendleton strays above the sprinters line whereas Meares maintains pretty much the same distance above it.

7735579714_5791987712.jpg
    7735579196_401a7d8584.jpg
    7735578998_edf0b8152c.jpg
    7735578870_cb412418fa.jpg
    7735578696_14215c2612.jpg
    7735578542_c6d60008cf.jpg
    7735578372_d175f8359f.jpg
    7735578234_e75d6ef435.jpg
    7735578072_32741ed4a5.jpg
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    thegibdog wrote:
    Looked to me like Pendleton went above the sprinters line which led to the contact rather than the other way around. Not the way you want to see races decided but rules is/are/be rules.

The insinuations about Laura Trott on this thread belong in the clinic. Her performance in the omnium was definitely the highlight of the track programme for me, superb riding.

I loved her style in the elimination race - awesome stuff
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    priory wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't see it. At what point does Meares "thump" Pendleton? Looks to me like Pendleton strays above the sprinters line whereas Meares maintains pretty much the same distance above it.

Good post but have nt I told you about posting facts on the internet?!?(or was that Pross?!) :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well I just watched the replay of the first sprint and that decision was ridiculous, no rider at fault at all, just close to each other, Meares was bang on the red line which menas her left side of body is under the red lins so will contact VP who tried to ride as close to the red line as possible. There have been much much worse incodents of lane violation than this totally spoilt the final as VP jst gave up. Heard commentary and JAmie Staff called it perfectly. That particular comissaire is an absolute nightmare.
    Both Meares and VP thought the ride was ok and riders know themselves if it was ok.
    The drift up by VP was definately caused by a slight speed wobble caused by unintentional contact by either rider, this is called sprinting.
    The way this twat of a comissaire want'sit you may as well paint lanes round the entire track and start staggered like athletics.
  • oldwelshman
    priory wrote:

Looks like you tool these of the tv but the contact was between pic 4 and 5 which you do not show, You just about got the point where VP got a bit of a wobble back up the track.
    Not sure if you ever had this but believe me once you go over about 35mph with a little contact you can get a nasty freight, it happened to me in between two riders on final bend at about 18mph, I had to ease a buit then accelerate agaon as it was like holding on to a washing machine :D
  • Looks like you tool these of the tv but the contact was between pic 4 and 5 which you do not show...

Trust me, there isn't any contact between those photos.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    As soon as I saw VP go outside the line I thought she would be in trouble. The commisaire that's come in this year is a hardliner - he made that clear at the Worlds.

I have no problem with the decision, but the UCI may want to revisit the rules and guidelines for the future (for this and the team sprint handovers). Ultimately sport is an entertainment industry and people want to see races decided on the track.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • oldwelshman
    Looks like you tool these of the tv but the contact was between pic 4 and 5 which you do not show...

Trust me, there isn't any contact between those photos.
    I watched the slow motion frontal view and there was contact between the two, Meares leaning to the left which is natural going that fast round the bend but there was 100% contact between their shoulders.
  • oldwelshman
    RichN95 wrote:
    As soon as I saw VP go outside the line I thought she would be in trouble. The commisaire that's come in this year is a hardliner - he made that clear at the Worlds.

I have no problem with the decision, but the UCI may want to revisit the rules and guidelines for the future (for this and the team sprint handovers). Ultimately sport is an entertainment industry and people want to see races decided on the track.
    Consistency is the issue, there were many sprints with much more lane switching than this, some intentional some not, the comissaire needs to be consistent. That DQ was silly as it was a racing incident with no advantage to either, as I said both riders were ok with the ride.
    Its simple you either dq every rider or goes outside line or you dont.
    Look at hwat that Nelson guy did with Kenny, and a couple of other sprints he did, he was dangerous at times.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I'm no VP fan but there was definite contact from Mears in the banking. I'm not convinced it caused VP to come out of her lane though as that happened about 20m later. It was a nothing incident either way and spoiled the final a bit. That said VP made a right mess of the 2nd match she either needed to commit to the long one or not go in the first place.
  • oldwelshman
    Fantastic ride by Hoy, great example of the advantage you get holding your line round the bend, awesome.
    Great ride by Trott, chuffed for her.
    Lessons to be learned by Trott and Edmonson though, both were intent on watching each other too much and in the points too many riders got a lap on the field but the big mistaked was leaving Hammer and Whitton gain a lap, Trott and Edmonson made error there this is why Trott only won by a point. She will learn a lot and will get even better :D
  • I watched the slow motion frontal view and there was contact between the two, Meares leaning to the left which is natural going that fast round the bend but there was 100% contact between their shoulders.

I don't know what you want me to do. I can't prove something I didn't see. There isn't any contact between my photos 4 and 5. Why don't you post up some photos so we can see what you mean.
  • oldwelshman
    Pross wrote:
    I'm no VP fan but there was definite contact from Mears in the banking. I'm not convinced it caused VP to come out of her lane though as that happened about 20m later. It was a nothing incident either way and spoiled the final a bit. That said VP made a right mess of the 2nd match she either needed to commit to the long one or not go in the first place.
    As I said slight speed wobble, if some one leans into you, you will naturally oppose the force and when the rider moves away you will definately move up a bit.
  • oldwelshman
    I watched the slow motion frontal view and there was contact between the two, Meares leaning to the left which is natural going that fast round the bend but there was 100% contact between their shoulders.

I don't know what you want me to do. I can't prove something I didn't see. There isn't any contact between my photos 4 and 5. Why don't you post up some photos so we can see what you mean.
    I will take a photo of the front shot and post it, on the normal shot it does not look like any contact at all. I thought their arms may have hooked but they did not, it was just shoulder to shoulder. I have a crappy 3g HTC phone so I hace to work out how to get it on pc as cannot send via bluetooth or wireless what a crap phone.
    PM me with number and i will send via mms.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    The trouble with these decisions is that it takes the winning out of the hands of the competitors. If it's the best of 3 and one is decided on relegation, then it's a tall order to get back on terms. Meares benefited here, Pendleton at the worlds. All square, but neither really can claim to be have beaten the other without doubt.

To me, it looked like good tough racing, but as soon as I saw her go out of the line it was clear it was going to be called, and Pendleton is so fragile that it was over. She bottled the track stand and then bottled the roll off when she should have gone for it. Meares knows this. She is a bully on the track, it's clear. One part of me dislikes that, but the other half thinks that it's fair game - match sprinting is all about pysching out your opponent. It's pretty ugly the way she goes about it. Interested now in who will take Pendleton's place. Presumably Varnish?
  • I watched the slow motion frontal view and there was contact between the two, Meares leaning to the left which is natural going that fast round the bend but there was 100% contact between their shoulders.

I will take a photo of the front shot and post it, on the normal shot it does not look like any contact at all. I thought their arms may have hooked but they did not, it was just shoulder to shoulder. I have a crappy 3g HTC phone so I hace to work out how to get it on pc as cannot send via bluetooth or wireless what a crap phone.

Just post it when your in front of a PC.
  • oldwelshman
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    The trouble with these decisions is that it takes the winning out of the hands of the competitors. If it's the best of 3 and one is decided on relegation, then it's a tall order to get back on terms. Meares benefited here, Pendleton at the worlds. All square, but neither really can claim to be have beaten the other without doubt.

To me, it looked like good tough racing, but as soon as I saw her go out of the line it was clear it was going to be called, and Pendleton is so fragile that it was over. She bottled the track stand and then bottled the roll off when she should have gone for it. Meares knows this. She is a bully on the track, it's clear. One part of me dislikes that, but the other half thinks that it's fair game - match sprinting is all about pysching out your opponent. It's pretty ugly the way she goes about it. Interested now in who will take Pendleton's place. Presumably Varnish?
    Varnish and Becky James and watch out for a youngster in my team named Ellie Coster, and one or two others around 16 years age mark.
  • oldwelshman

Just post it when your in front of a PC.
    Ha ha lol I just got two really good shots of the tv on my HTC, theyu show shoulder to shoulder but nothing not expected in a sprint, just competative racing both riding close as possible to the sprinter line.
    I cannot get the poxy photos to PC. HTC will not let you browse the phone. I will post eventually :D
  • I will post eventually :D

Oh we will have all forgotten about it then and be onto something else! :D
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I had a feeling that Hoy would ride from the front early - he was obviously just honing his skills in the bunch with the way he rode in the World Cup and World Championship. Once he hits the front and goes from a long way out it just always looks all over. Levy rode well to get half a bike up on Hoy for a while but there is no rider who can stay in the wind and alongside Hoy for very long.

36yrs young and better than he has ever been.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • oldwelshman
    The saga continues lol the htc will not transfer like "normal" phone so I selected share and sent it to work mail which the phone can collect :-) then I use outlook to forward to my hotmail so I can store to pc and post. Whever the fuck designed the software on this HTC must be related to the comissaire :D
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees wrote:

Varnish and Becky James and watch out for a youngster in my team named Ellie Coster, and one or two others around 16 years age mark.

OKies. We're at the national youth track champs later this month, we'll look out for those.
  • oldwelshman
    ok here we go fingers crossed, I had to send from my ohone, to my ohone email, forward to hotmail, save to hard drive, then upload to photo bucket :roll:
    WP_000003.jpg
    WP_000002.jpg
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I just saw the same contact that owm has posted pics of during the replay on Olympics Today. It's actually Meares' elbow into Pendleton's hip I think.
  • Cool! We have photos! They more or less match up with my last two photos...

Those shots are when Pendleton has moved above the sprinters line as they are heading into the home straight.
  • oldwelshman
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I just saw the same contact that owm has posted pics of during the replay on Olympics Today. It's actually Meares' elbow into Pendleton's hip I think.
    The riders would not really worry about this to be honest.
    I just watched it on eurosport and they did the slow mo much better and it looks worse than I saw on BBC, elbow nudges VP on hip and pushes her down the track about 18" and VP swings back up which is natural.
    Gibby on Eurosport reckons DQ was fair, Jamie Staff did not, it was so 50/50 no one will ever agree.
    At the end of the day nothing will change and Meares will go on record as gold medal winner but was a shame as it could have gone to third round.
  • oldwelshman
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:

OKies. We're at the national youth track champs later this month, we'll look out for those.
    You watching or have some one riding? I would like to go but think I might be racing or training.
    I would like to watch Ellie and another youngster in my team Megan Chard who is also going to be good. Its great watching th youth champs, some great racing and generally agressive with lots of attacking :D
  • PuttyKnees
    You watching or have some one riding? I would like to go but think I might be racing or training.
    I would like to watch Ellie and another youngster in my team Megan Chard who is also going to be good. Its great watching th youth champs, some great racing and generally agressive with lots of attacking :D

We have some youngsters going for the experience of a national champs, so a lot of watching and learning. Not sure what to expect, but bound to be fun!
  • oldwelshman
    PuttyKnees wrote:

We have some youngsters going for the experience of a national champs, so a lot of watching and learning. Not sure what to expect, but bound to be fun!
    They will learn a lot, get them to watch how the fancied riders prepare, warm ups warm downs etc, they get all their info from BCF coaches.