Bring on the track events! *spoiler*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Fuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkk me Chris Hoy!!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Vic getting dq twice...how long has she been doing this track racing? Not good.

And this Trott girl is about 20? And beating seasoned pros? Where in cycling, years on the bike counts for a hell of a lot unlike where in swimming a 15 yr old taking a WR isn't surprising
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Usually I like you FF but Bore off FFS!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Was there some debate about that finish (no commentary)? Looked pretty obvious to me....
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    ddraver wrote:
    Was there some debate about that finish (no commentary)? Looked pretty obvious to me....
    Trying to sort out bronze. They have given it to both of them.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    And this Trott girl is about 20? And beating seasoned pros? Where in cycling, years on the bike counts for a hell of a lot

In men's racing I agree but women's racing is less competitive, you can get riders coming from nowhere very quickly, or even coming over from other sports and doing well. Trott has been riding a long time mind.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good ride from Hoy, I thought he'd gone to the front too early there to be honest.

Smart riding from Meares, good battle with Pendleton over the years. I think Vicky P is just glad to be finished to be honest, she's got a gold here, plus a gold in Beijing and a heap of Rainbow jersies...fantastic career.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    So that's 7 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze for track cycling, right?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Cav to quit road racing to return to the track!
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I think Vicky P is just glad to be finished ... she's got a gold here, plus a gold in Beijing and a heap of Rainbow jersies...
    And probably a contract to do Strictly Come Dancing.
  • Lichtblick
    I would like to thank everyone here <starts crying> for supporting me <wipes tears away> in this thread which has gone on <gulps> <smiles bravely> for 24 pages!

My most successful thread EVER on BikeRadar, and me a newcomer. Thank you <takes bow> Thank you <waves to audience> Thank You ALL !!!

joke, guys, ok?

:wink::D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    And this Trott girl is about 20? And beating seasoned pros? Where in cycling, years on the bike counts for a hell of a lot unlike where in swimming a 15 yr old taking a WR isn't surprising
    The two events she won weren't even in the last Olympics and they weren't in the Worlds then either. Therefore there aren't any seasoned pros.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Found this short sad but heartwarming video seeing as were at the Velodrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kOIFyC26E#!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I wonder if there will be French and German journalists (maybe from L'equipe) rumaging through the rubbish skips out the back of Manchester Velodrome. Freaking freakish results so far based on Hand Cleaning techniques and finding exactly round wheels. :lol: I hope Brailsford has got it all sorted otherwise he'll be sent on boat to Australia. :wink:

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Lichtblick
    priory wrote:
    I gather it 's ok to thump the lead rider down the track then lean on her , but not to wobble while that is being done to you.

I completely agree.

However, Pendleton was very gracious in her defeat, straight away. IMO. (That'll be psychological/media training?)

Having said all that, I still think it was a rubbish way for Meares to win Gold. Did Pendleton elbow anyone aside, ever?

:?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Isn't Meares known for trying to bully her way to victory?
    I think it was a very poor decision - get elbowed off the track because Meares has come down on her, or lean back and accidentally go over the red line?
    Meares knew what she was doing and it looked like she was trying to stick out an elbow again a little further on.
  • ddraver
    She lost fair and square guys. The rules are the rules whether they favour us or not...
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

What you trying to say FF? Unlike all your heros she isn't actually a proven doper.
    I'm feeling a bit sensitive about stuff like this after all the crap I got of your countrymen this morning.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Did Humphreys just give Cav a kiss?!?

Yes I have nothing better too look at I only have a commentaryless NOS feed...

Got caught on kiss cam, apparantly
  • ddraver
    inseine wrote:

What you trying to say FF? Unlike all your heros she isn't actually a proven doper.
    I'm feeling a bit sensitive about stuff like this after all the crap I got of your countrymen this morning.

Who and why..? Sounds interesting....
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ddraver wrote:
    Did Humphreys just give Cav a kiss?!?

Yes I have nothing better too look at I only have a commentaryless NOS feed...

Got caught on kiss cam, apparantly

a cheeky peck on the side of Cav's forehead.
  • inseine
    I'm assuming FF is (at least a bit) French? Some of my colleagues seem to think that I single handedly beat the French track team! It all started with that Wiggins, blah blah...although to be fair it's not the universal opinion over here.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    '' The rules are the rules wh''

there it is again, that phrase.

Do these rules say you can thump the other rider out of the way?

and the rules you are on about are made by people who want to have a fair race. They are not the ten commandments, nor inscribed tablets of revelations handed by God to some snake-oil salesman in a cave in the mid-west. So they could be changed if they are being abused, although not to improve the Brits' medal tally, of course.
    Or perhaps they could be applied as they are in an impartial way.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • ddraver
    What are you on about priory? They WERE applied as they are in a fair impartial way...
    - @ddraver
  • Frenchie - I normally like your postings and love the piccies.

For your info Laura is a member of Welwyn Wheelers as I am. She has not "come from nowhere". She has raced at Welwyn track for years and years. She has been picked up up the BC system from early on as she had speed/smoothness that belied her size. Alot of that original strength came from trampolineing as a very young girl that then converted to a bike. Having been aware of her for years and being told by the Welwyn coaches who were first responsible for her there is nothing "dodgy" about her.

Welwyn have another person like her already, a national schoolboy cyclocross champion (the club coach cyclocross week in, week out throughout the winter), he has been picked up by the BC national coaching and has ridden track from a young boy. This summer I have seen him giving stick in the senior A classes to british pros who turn up on a Friday night to get some speed (he was allowed this year to race the seniors for the first time). I have raced against him and he destroyed me, he is now 15. If he is a world champ in 5 or 6 years time like Laura will you post the same thing? (His name is Joe Fry BTW).
  • she's very thin is laura trott - she needs to have a word with Hoys dad - he looked like he got himself gold for the amount of big macs eat in day. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    S'about time the track got a little physical.

Olympic Kieran is a snooze fest and just another way for sprinters to pick up more medals.

Get some proper keiran action. Argie bargie allowed as long as you keep your hands on your handlebars.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    davidof wrote:
    Cav to quit road racing to return to the track!
    No he cant afford to, what money would he get for riding track? He gets loads form road racing, nothing from track
  • inseine
    Hoys gold ride was no way a snooze fest! I was bouncing off the sofa.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    4 years is a long time, especially for a sprinter roadie.