The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• kmcd21
    kmcd21 Posts: 105
    Very sound advice and much appreciated !

The VR will be ideal for my requirements.
    Should I get ultra serious in the future, I can always upgrade to an all singing all dancing direct drive machine like wahoo kickr !
    Enduro- YT Capra AL1- 2016
    Road- Boardman Team Carbon- 2010
    XC- Gary Fisher Marlin- 2002
  • How are people finding the new ramp test in terms of accuracy?

I did one a few weeks ago and went from 263 to 275 after the first 4 weeks of sustained build. Was off for a couple of weeks thanks to illness and retested Tuesday at 271 and will do the last phase of ssb2 again before building for cross. I did Ebbetts the day after my latest test but found it fairly hard, harder than the first time I did it. My HR was about 8-10 bpm higher as well.

Just wondered if my FTP is too high with the ramp test or if it was other factors (it was very hot and humid and was quite tired).

Any opinions or comments welcome
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If you're in the UK and training in a non-air conditioned space right now then yes I would think that would have a very big effect on your performance. Obviously depending on the individual, it could still be the test, but for me a hot room makes workouts much harder and more unpleasant.

Temperature adaption is a thing though (TR have done a lot about it on their podcast) so you might find it gets easier if you repeatedly try it...
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    If you're in the UK and training in a non-air conditioned space right now then yes I would think that would have a very big effect on your performance. Obviously depending on the individual, it could still be the test, but for me a hot room makes workouts much harder and more unpleasant.

Temperature adaption is a thing though (TR have done a lot about it on their podcast) so you might find it gets easier if you repeatedly try it...

that makes sense, hopefully that’s all it is. I prefer the ramp over the 2x8s I was doing anyway, will stick with it and see if my next workout is better.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Not posted on here for a little while.
    Last FTP, 8 weeksish ago, was 238, up from 224, was happy with that.
    Have been losing weight in parallel, which always helps the w/kg ratio :-)

Was hoping for 244 this morning, but managed to average 275 for both the 8 minute efforts, so ended up with a new ftp of 247. That's from 200 on Jan 1st, as I let things slip in Nov/Dec last year.
    I'll have one more ftp before velosouth (century program mid volume next) and a couple of hill climbs. Fairly confident if nothing goes awry I can crack the 250.

Currently sat at 3.9w/kg, be nice to break into the 4's.

Not sure if I should take it easier during the winter, as last year I lost motivation a bit.
    Thinking that hopefully either a low volume program, or 2 sessions a week (or 1 or 2 sessions plus an outdoor ride) might allow me to maintain my then power, and can then build on that into next year.

What does everyone else do?

Just to add, I'm planning to start time trialling, and also getting my head kicked in from April, as i'm going to start 'racing' in my own unique way.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    As I have potentially stupidly just ordered a bike that has a fixed length cockpit, that will cost an arm and a leg to change, I have decided to try and stretch myself out on the turbo over a period of time.

Historically I have had a bad back, but found a wonderful woman (Actually from a post on here) who was able to mostly sort it for me.

My turbo bike was too big for me with my then back issues, so I was running it with an inverted 60mm stem, but last week swapped to a correct orientation 80mm one.
    I have ridden this for 3 rides, including an FTP (Where I improved by 4%) and had no issues or pain as a result, so far so good.
    In the last 5 years my flexibility has improved massively, so I think this is a viable approach, and will also end up getting me lower, and longer, and consequently more aero when out on the road.
    My plan is to run in this config for the rest of this month, and through August and September.
    In October I plan to pop a 90mm stem on, a 100 in December, a 110 in Feburary, and possibly a 120 in April - if I run into issues, I can always halt the process, or slow the process down, ie spend 3-4 months at each point, and am likely to end up running it with a 110 anyway.

If that all goes well, then I may also look to chop out some spacers, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
    My road bike is currently running 90mm stem, so if this all works out, I'll look to swap that out for a 110.
    The turbo has already helped me get lower on the road bike, as I was able to swap the stem on my road bike to the correct orientation last year, and as I spend 7-ish hours on it per week it seems to be a good place to carry out these adaptations in a fairly controlled environment.

Anyone else, tried anything similar?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    Just been on TR for the first time in a few months, I noticed they have added a new "extend warmup" and "extend cooldown" feature. This is really handy - I do a lot of the 45 min workouts and often the cool down is extremely short, and I have often done an extra 5 mins spin at the end. Thumbs up!
  • bobmcstuff
    Daniel B wrote:

Was hoping for 244 this morning, but managed to average 275 for both the 8 minute efforts, so ended up with a new ftp of 247. That's from 200 on Jan 1st, as I let things slip in Nov/Dec last year.
    I'll have one more ftp before velosouth (century program mid volume next) and a couple of hill climbs. Fairly confident if nothing goes awry I can crack the 250.

Not sure if I should take it easier during the winter, as last year I lost motivation a bit.
    Thinking that hopefully either a low volume program, or 2 sessions a week (or 1 or 2 sessions plus an outdoor ride) might allow me to maintain my then power, and can then build on that into next year.

Just to add, I'm planning to start time trialling, and also getting my head kicked in from April, as i'm going to start 'racing' in my own unique way.

I definitely think you should plan in a proper break. The first year I used TR I tried to go straight through and it gets really demotivating. I would plan a couple of weeks where you don't use TR at all before starting another program.

There are a couple of "maintenance" plans on there (under enthusiast) which are supposed to help you stay sharp, which you could look into. Looking at them quickly, they do look like they would do the job, some hard workouts in there.
  • bobmcstuff
    Tried the ramp test for the first time yesterday, I have been signed up for a sportive at the end of September so I am going to do a general build so I don't get my @rse handed to me... (both the guys I am riding with have just completed iron mans)

Turns out I needn't have bothered, I have been putting off doing a test for months but as it happens my test result was within 4 watts of what I had estimated (based on setting the intensity of the workouts I had been doing. Result 232 W vs my estimate of 228.

Past experience suggests I will get back to 240 quite quickly, I think 250 is a decent target. If I can get my weight back down below 70kg as well I reckon I should go alright...
  • daniel_b
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I definitely think you should plan in a proper break. The first year I used TR I tried to go straight through and it gets really demotivating. I would plan a couple of weeks where you don't use TR at all before starting another program.

There are a couple of "maintenance" plans on there (under enthusiast) which are supposed to help you stay sharp, which you could look into. Looking at them quickly, they do look like they would do the job, some hard workouts in there.

Thanks Bob, my current plan takes me up to Velo South, then two weeks later I have a hill climb, so I may take a break from TR between those two events, OR after the hill climb - will see how I feel at the time fatigue wise.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just started Trainerroad last night.

I'm a complete novice so was surprised to find myself scoring a 205 ftp in the ramp test.

The ramp test took almost 40 minutes but enjoyed it all the way. I much prefer Traineroad to the free week I spent on Zwift and I know which I'll be choosing through winter.
  • daniel_b
    That's a nice start mate, good job :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    Did Galena +1 this evening. 3x 20 minute intervals at 95%.

Absolutely miserable :D I know theoretically I should be able to ride 60 minutes at 95% no bother but 20 minute steady state intervals are just unremittingly and relentlessly miserable. And just hard enough that I couldn't really pay attention to the tv program I was trying to watch.
  • Out of curiosity, for Neo users, do you take your bike off the Neo and fold it up and stack it away after each ride, or do you just keep it assembled with bike at all times? I do the former, but tempted to change to the latter, provided it doesn't have any adverse effects on the Neo.
  • daniel_b
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Did Galena +1 this evening. 3x 20 minute intervals at 95%.

Absolutely miserable :D I know theoretically I should be able to ride 60 minutes at 95% no bother but 20 minute steady state intervals are just unremittingly and relentlessly miserable. And just hard enough that I couldn't really pay attention to the tv program I was trying to watch.

Pretty sure I did that the other day, beasts aren't they, generally struggle to keep my cadence up too.
    Coping mechanisms I find, varies a bit, but include:
    Swapping hand positions every 60/90/120 seconds, hoods/drops/tops/aero hoods etc
    Counting in multiples of a given number, for example if I have 3 minutes left, I might count to 54 five times.
    Standing up every now and then.

Out of curiosity, for Neo users, do you take your bike off the Neo and fold it up and stack it away after each ride, or do you just keep it assembled with bike at all times? I do the former, but tempted to change to the latter, provided it doesn't have any adverse effects on the Neo.

Not a chance I would go through all that, mine is set up in the garage, and some workouts I start at 05:30, no way I'm getting up earlier to unpack and get it attached.
    Suspect frequent fitting and removing is more likely to cause damage than just leaving it mounted.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Out of curiosity, for Neo users, do you take your bike off the Neo and fold it up and stack it away after each ride, or do you just keep it assembled with bike at all times? I do the former, but tempted to change to the latter, provided it doesn't have any adverse effects on the Neo.

I leave it on the Neo 24/7 except the rare days when I ride outside.
  • daniel_b
    FTP this morning, 4.5 weeks since the last one.

Up nice and early to give myself time for a small breakfast of muesli, and a strong cup of coffee - ended up having about 45 minutes from finishing to getting on the bike, whiled away the time with a bit of gcn.

Last test was 247, which I was delighted with, was optimistic of progress, but too much of a chicken to try the ramp test again, so plumped for the twin 8 again.

Usually sit in 4th gear, and change the resistance on the trainer - last time was 24, so went for 25% this time, and attempted to keep cadence at 90 again.

Struggled a fair bit this time it has to be said, but ended up with reasonably similar efforts:
    283 & 281, both with a cadence of 88.

Think I may need to experiment with different gears and resistances, as I suspect 26% next time may be a bit too hard, but we will see.

Popped out a new FTP of 253 (Up a modest 6), so happy with that, and despite getting a bit heavier, still scrapes me in at a whisker over 4w\kg which is nice and has been a target for some time - have to try and make sure I don't drop below that now.

My long term target is a 300W FTP, but I'm not sure how achievable that is, as increases will become harder to come by, and I will likely want to tail off the training a bit over winter, just to give myself a bit of a rest.

I did think about low volume, but am under the impression that despite only being 4.5 hours a week, the individual 3 workouts are more intense than the majority of the ones you find in the mod volume program.
    Tbh, over winter, I would be very content if I could simply maintain, and not lose any power, so am considering running with the mid volume base program (For example) but only picking 3 of the 5 per week to complete, and ditching the easier ride, plus one other of the shorter ones.

Viable?

I have Velo south in September, and at least two hill climbs in October, so will be training hard until at least then.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Daniel B wrote:
    I did think about low volume, but am under the impression that despite only being 4.5 hours a week, the individual 3 workouts are more intense than the majority of the ones you find in the mod volume program.

I don't think that's the case. The Low Vol 3.5hr SS Base looks very similar to the Mid Vol, just minus the easy midweek and Sunday sessions. No apparent increase in intensity - in fact, if you look at week-to-week comparisons of the Tue/Thur/Sat Workouts, the Mid Vol TSS are a bit higher than the Low Vol.

Daniel B wrote:
    Tbh, over winter, I would be very content if I could simply maintain, and not lose any power, so am considering running with the mid volume base program (For example) but only picking 3 of the 5 per week to complete, and ditching the easier ride, plus one other of the shorter ones.

If the desire is for less volume, I would simply choose a lower volume plan.

This might be useful to read:
    https://blog.trainerroad.com/recover-ma ... /#drop%207

...ie. along with scheduling in some periodic rest (mental as well as physical breaks), and perhaps introducing a little variety from time to time in order to reduce boredom, roughly adhering to Base->Build but with lower volume may be your best approach.
  • Hi!

Im looking for a 30 day trial to test out trainer road if anyone has one!

Thank you :)
  • Help Please - apologies if posted before

I am trying to import some garmin files into trainer road so I can replicate rides (with powermeter) done in the alps last year.

What's the simplest way to import these into trainer road so I can use in erg mode on my elite directo to remind me of the joy!

Thanks in advance
  • bobmcstuff
    Question, where's the referral option gone? I've used it in the past (over a year ago) to refer someone for a month, and I told one of my friends I could get him a referral. But now I can't see where the option has gone...
  • Does someone have free trial to share ? thanks!
  • I'm going to do a ramp test at the weekend as I look to get back into TR after a poor two years of 'looking after' myself. Just bought an Elite Direto, is it best to do the test in ERG mode?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I'm going to do a ramp test at the weekend as I look to get back into TR after a poor two years of 'looking after' myself. Just bought an Elite Direto, is it best to do the test in ERG mode?

Yes. Just start the test and pedal until you can’t :lol:
  • Getting time to get on the bike since our baby daughter arrived a few months ago has been very hard, so I thought i'd give Trainerroad a proper go, if nothing else to try and keep some bike fitness.
    Followed the time crunched 30 plan - 30 minutes, 3 times a week.

Thats nowhere near enough I thought to be of any use......

Just done a ramp test this morning and have actually improved my FTP by 4%.
    It just goes to show that proper training with a structured plan can yield improvements, even if you don't have much time to spare.

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to a new training plan over winter, when ill hopefully be able to devote slightly more time - it will be interesting to see how progress goes.

Having used the Sufferfest in the past I wasn't sure how i'd get on with the lack of video etc...but I actually like the simple display. The biggest thing for me is the well defined training plan which rarely does the same workout twice - this variation alone is enough to keep things fresh - and the option of being able to switch to a 45 minute or 60 minute versions of your specified workout if you have more time is just fantastic flexibility. Also, being able to log in and see what sessions are laid out for the coming week actually got me motivated about completing them - its like having your own virtual coach setting out defined programs for you.

There are a myriad of options available for indoor training these days with the likes of the Sufferfest (there is talk of non-video workouts coming in December which might increase variations, but they still badly lack training plans built in) and Strava making big improvements on the training side, but for me Trainerroad is still leading the way with the fantastic array of workouts and plans to suit any lifestyle.

Just a note on the equipment side - i've been using a Lifefitness GX spin bike with a set of power tap P1 pedals attached.
    I absolutely love the GX - its much better than most spin bikes as resistance is shown numerically on a digital readout, so its very easy and quick to adjust to the required watts once you get the hang of the relative values. I would love to upgrade to a fully smart trainer at some point to replicate my road position better and use ERG mode, but for the moment this setup is more than adequate for me.
  • daniel_b
    bsharp77 wrote:

I've never seen this on TR, and still can't see it now, am I being dim?

I just see Base, Build and Speciality, with the Low Volume generally being 3 rides a week, totalling around 3.5 hours.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

I just see Base, Build and Speciality, with the Low Volume generally being 3 rides a week, totalling around 3.5 hours.

Morning Daniel,

If you choose "speciality phase" from the main list, then choose "enthusiast" you'll see it listed in there as "Time Crunch 30".

Looking through all the plans at the minute trying to decide what to go for next!
  • daniel_b
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

Morning Daniel,

If you choose "speciality phase" from the main list, then choose "enthusiast" you'll see it listed in there as "Time Crunch 30".

Looking through all the plans at the minute trying to decide what to go for next!

Thankyou!

Would never have spotted that, or not until I was back around at the speciality phase which won't be for some time.
    Think that may have been a recent development, or my eyesight is shocking........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thankyou!

Would never have spotted that, or not until I was back around at the speciality phase which won't be for some time.
    Think that may have been a recent development, or my eyesight is shocking........

:lol::lol:

Yes, I think its fairly new ok - I think I found it after it was mentioned on their twitter feed.
    As you say, I think they could make it a bit more intuitive to find, but i'll not moan too much as i'm just so impressed by the depth and quality of the training they provide.
  • Evening all,

Excuse my ignorance here as I’m new to the smart trainer scene. I’ve paired my Elite Direto to TR on my iPad ready for a ramp test tomorrow. It’s set to ERG mode and I had a quick spin on the ramp test just to make sure everything is ok. I was under the impression that ERG mode meant the trainer sets the resistance to the desired power? Mine isn’t doing that and I can easily go well above or below the power line. I’ve turned everything off and started the iPad again before pairing but the same issue occurs. Am I missing something here?