• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Starts at 12:30.
    The Women start at 12.30. The Men start at 2.15
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Got to love for Wiggins to win this, Froome to come nowhere and Cancellara or Martin to take 2nd and a surprise take 3rd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Presume Canc will struggle.

I wouldn't like to hold that position for an hour with a badly bruised shoulder.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    I predict a medal for Taylor Phinney.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    RichN95 wrote:
    so Froome will ride at a quite different time to the other favourites.
    With the weather being so changeable at the moment that could be either a huge advantage or a huge disadvantage. From the long range forecast it looks like possibly an advantage.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    I predict a medal for Taylor Phinney.
    I'd be happy with that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Phinney is indeed a big contender.
  • DeadCalm
    Taylor Phinney ‏@taylorphinney
    You want to know something? I absolutely love riding my bike. And I love the Olympics. I am so damn happy to be here! #London2012
  • rick_chasey
    DeadCalm wrote:
    You want to know something? I absolutely love riding my bike. And I love the Olympics. I am so damn happy to be here! #London2012

He's also quite excited about the well known epic sex-fest that the olympic village turns into come the 2nd week - especially given he finishes competing on the first Wednesday.

Probably eyeing up a few swimmers already.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    dsoutar wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Not Boardman, the other one.

He may not be the best commentator but I think Hugh Porter deserves more than that! One of our greatest riders and a properly nice fella.

That may well be the case but I'm afraid he's rapidly moving into Duffield territory here. Whilst I loved Duffers to bits there was definitely a time where he had to go. I have no problem with Hugh Porter in the velodrome where it's much more his forte but I'm afraid he did seem pretty out of his depth on the men's RR although he was better on the women's race.

You say this - and i would have been with you - however he was fairly good during the women's road race, at one point he corrected Boardman who misidentified one of the dutch riders as Vos when it was in fact another one.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    Anyone know if they are showing the TTs at Look Mum No Hands?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    I don't know anything about time trial start orders (2012 website doesn't say, links to IOC website for further information, that has 2 photos of Beijing on it. great). Someone on another forum claimed 20 seeded riders at the end, but random before that. A start list will soon kill the tension.

FWIW I do know that corners do not affect GPS timing.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Isn't it a bit long for Phinney, his best results seem to be in shorter TTs. Though if Martin and Cancellara aren't at their best and Cuddles isn't riding the field starts to look a bit thin so a medal may be possible.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:

He's also quite excited about the well known epic sex-fest that the olympic village turns into come the 2nd week - especially given he finishes competing on the first Wednesday.

Probably eyeing up a few swimmers already.
    I can see it now:

Phinney: "Hey, beautiful, would you like to see my Olympic gold medal"
    Girl: "That's great Taylor, but why does it say Los Angeles 1984 on it?"
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Isn't it a bit long for Phinney, his best results seem to be in shorter TTs. Though if Martin and Cancellara aren't at their best and Cuddles isn't riding the field starts to look a bit thin so a medal may be possible.
    He went OK in the vuelta time trial last year, which was 47km. He came 5th, 6 seconds behind Cancellara. It was grand tour though, and the field was not that deep, so a bit difficult to read lots into. It does suggest that he's happy going long though.
  • rick_chasey
    It does suggest that he's happy going long though.
    Now that's a line he can use.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wiggins, Martin and Canc the obvious contenders with only Wiggins on form / uninjured out of those three. Phinney looks a decent outside bet, along with Rogers, Chavanel, LL Sanchez, Froome and TJVG. Plenty of competition there, with the tdf in a lot of riders' legs and Saturday having been a bit of a slog, it could throw up a few surprises but I'm going to go with Wiggo to secure his knighthood!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BigMat wrote:
    Wiggo to secure his knighthood!

Apparently a medal on Wednesday and he'll be the most bemedalled British Olympian.

No, I'm not sure bemedalled is a real word either
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    On the latter part my ride yesterday morning about 3 miles from home in Bagshot, I saw a cyclist coming towards me being followed by one of those Olympic BMWs with hazards. Bloody hell, it's Wiggo training for the TT!

Not sure whether I gave him a nod (as I would any other roadie) and I was dumbstruck. he did look over to me (Well, I think he did). I must have looked a right one, mouth agog in realisation. Certainly got me motivated for the climb awaiting me. I believe they've been staying at Foxhills so not surprising to seehim training on the Surrey roads. Made my Day!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is someone writing Taylor Phinney's chat up lines for him here....?
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Can I take it that it's safe to miss the first hour on TV, that the real contenders will come off the ramp last?

(I'm working, and can't take hours out to watch......)

(I was also going to ask what "chipper race" means, but see that it's an in-joke. I wish I'd spotted that before trying to look it up on the internet yesterday.)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    He went OK in the vuelta time trial last year, which was 47km. He came 5th, 6 seconds behind Cancellara. It was grand tour though, and the field was not that deep, so a bit difficult to read lots into. It does suggest that he's happy going long though.

Got 50/1 e/w (1,2,3, quarter odds) on Phinney about a week ago. No more than a decent shout for a medal, but them odds were crazy.
  • Like TJVG to medal here. I think Canc's injury will prevent him from being at top form. Wiggins should win and Froome should be the favorite for silver.

I'd fancy TJVG and Phinney duking it out for bronze

of course if Martin is in it then things would change.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Re: Hugh Porter
    Most of the problems on Saturday were the result of the near total lack of information that we & they had, so he can't be blamed for that. However, there's no excuse for thinking that Greipel was sprinting for fourth place.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Most of the problems on Saturday were the result of the near total lack of information that we & they had, so he can't be blamed for that. However, there's no excuse for thinking that Greipel was sprinting for fourth place.

Disagree. He's was out of his comfort zone at Beijing RR's. He goofed all the time at RR W/champs in Geelong and during Tour of Brit 2 years ago he continually miscalled breaks and finishers and that was in a post race recorded & edited highlights show.

He's a lovely old man, a GB cycling legend, but someone at the BBC should realise that this should be his last road cycling gig.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Martin is an interesting one - none of us have a clue as to his form. He obviously had to pull out of the Tour due to his wrist, and ducked out early on Saturday. Was that due to poor form, or was it saving his legs?

Another Wiggo - Froome 1-2 would be great and just the extra boost British road cycling needs after Saturday.
  • rick_chasey
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Martin is an interesting one - none of us have a clue as to his form. He obviously had to pull out of the Tour due to his wrist, and ducked out early on Saturday. Was that due to poor form, or was it saving his legs?

Another Wiggo - Froome 1-2 would be great and just the extra boost British road cycling needs after Saturday.

The farmer looked cooked on Saturday.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Pretty sure nations draw lots, and can then assign their slots as they see fit.

Commentary from the BBC across all sports is pretty poor, apart from sports the BBC reglularly covers. They have pulled out BBC faces to commentate - they are out of their depth. As for HP - out of his depth on the track too. He was famous for being a swimmers husband, not for his cycling exploits. Cycling coverage is shocking on the BBC; the home of cycling on public service broadcasting is ITV4; Auntie should have taken a leaf out of commercial TV and hired an expert - Will Fotheringham perhaps.
  • rick_chasey

If I can work out who is who better he than he can when I'm standing on the road in the middle of nowhere by taking a look at a super low resolution stream on my phone, he should be able to work it out too.

Also, WTF was with him calling every break 'weak'? Since when was this break weak? Jurgen Roelandts (Belgium), Marco Pinotti (Italy), Fumiyuki Beppu (Japan), Denis Menchov (Russia), Stuart O’Grady (Australia), Tim Duggan (USA), Lieuwe Westra (Netherlands), Jonathan Castroviejo (Spain), Janez Brajkovic (Slovenia), Michael Schar (Switzerland), Alexander Kristoff (Norway) and Sungbaek Park (Korea)