Olympic Mens TT, Wednesday

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited August 2012 in Pro race
How will they decide the order of riders?

(I've only watched TdF TTs before; determining the order of riders will be different for the Olympics.) :?:

Also, Cancellara and Evans won't know until tomorrow if they're riding on Wednesday.

Comments

• Lichtblick
    This just in from the Australian team. Cadel Evans will not compete in the Men’s Individual Time Trial. Evans has been seen by doctors and they've confirmed he is fatigued and will not recover in time for Wednesday. He will not be replaced, meaning Michael Rogers will be the only Australian athlete to compete in the Men’s Individual Time Trial.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... ID36439481
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Do you think the Pr**ks will have the time differences ON SCREEN by then....lets face its a TT decided by who got the fastest time dohhhh :roll:
  • Lichtblick
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Do you think the Pr**ks will have the time differences ON SCREEN by then....lets face its a TT decided by who got the fastest time dohhhh :roll:

Did I put the question badly, Gazzetta?

How will they decide the order of riders (out of the start ramp)?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

something to do with relative placings from the previous olympic time trial? thats just an informed guess to stimulate debate though,
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    How qualification works:

Both the men and women have a mass start event and a time trial on the road at London 2012.

Up to five men and four women per nation qualify via their UCI ranking - but athletes who earn places do so for their country, not themselves, and these may be reassigned by their country to another cyclist.

The complicated qualifying procedure for the men's mass start relies on UCI rankings, drawn up according to world ranking and then various continental Tour rankings. These are confirmed on 16 October 2011.

After that, there are additional places available from 2011 continental championships - though not for Europe or Oceania.

For the women, participation in London is determined by the UCI rankings - themselves determined by World Tour results - as of 31 May 2012.

In addition, extra places are available according to the results of the last women's continental championships before 2012, though again not for Europe or Oceania.

Places in the time trial can only be earned by first reaching the mass start event.

Anybody with enough patience might be able to work it out based on that.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I used to find it infuriating, but now I find it amusing how people add to threads seemingly without having read any of the previous posts.

As it happens, I totally agree with Gaz's point though. Also and kind of related, I was watching the boxing today and they were not showing the points on screen as they were awarded for legal shots, but they were referring to them, very irritating.

It's not that hard to get this stuff prepared properly in seven years is it? Anyway, this probably needs a different thread.

As you were.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Inrng has an interesting it of info on the on screen stuff

The moment the audience was lost: if the racing was good and the crowds very impressive the TV production was appalling. Apparently there was a request from the special in-house Olympic Broadcast Services company to keep the TV screen “clean” but this appears to ignore what it is to watch a race on television, a very different experience to seeing it from the roadside and therefore needing appropriate production techniques. Besides, so much for the “clean screen” as events like track cycling, swimming and athletics get a timer and other graphics permanently on screen.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lichtblick
    MrTapir wrote:

something to do with relative placings from the previous olympic time trial? thats just an informed guess to stimulate debate though,

Not all this year's TT riders will have been in previous Olympics time trials. Have Wiggins or Froome been in previous Olympics time trials?
    Luckao wrote:
    How qualification works:

Places in the time trial can only be earned by first reaching the mass start event.

Anybody with enough patience might be able to work it out based on that.

That's only qualification for it, not order out of the start ramp.
    jim453 wrote:

I used to find it infuriating, but now I find it amusing how people add to threads seemingly without having read any of the previous posts.

He didn't answer the question either.

Have I been the first to ask a question to which no-one (yet) knows the answer?

Edit to add: I see from the paper that the man "commentating" the Mens road race, will also be commentating the Time Trial. Not Boardman, the other one.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Lichtblick wrote:
    That's only qualification for it, not order out of the start ramp.

Hence why I said working it out based on that.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:

The moment the audience was lost: if the racing was good and the crowds very impressive the TV production was appalling. Apparently there was a request from the special in-house Olympic Broadcast Services company to keep the TV screen “clean” but this appears to ignore what it is to watch a race on television, a very different experience to seeing it from the roadside and therefore needing appropriate production techniques. Besides, so much for the “clean screen” as events like track cycling, swimming and athletics get a timer and other graphics permanently on screen.

They had time differences in todays women's road races but Boardman was complaining that they were unreliable on the basis that they were GPS (as the crow flies?) and so swinging wildly. He resorted to doing his own timing. I like Boardman he is a good and informative comentator. They just need a reasonable continuity man to take over from HP although he had a better day today.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ddgs2c.jpg

Nailed it.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Not Boardman, the other one.

He may not be the best commentator but I think Hugh Porter deserves more than that! One of our greatest riders and a properly nice fella.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I think they go off in alphabetical order of the country they represent?
    Mañana
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    inseine wrote:
    Not Boardman, the other one.

He may not be the best commentator but I think Hugh Porter deserves more than that! One of our greatest riders and a properly nice fella.

That may well be the case but I'm afraid he's rapidly moving into Duffield territory here. Whilst I loved Duffers to bits there was definitely a time where he had to go. I have no problem with Hugh Porter in the velodrome where it's much more his forte but I'm afraid he did seem pretty out of his depth on the men's RR although he was better on the women's race.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    iainf72 wrote:

Was the screen 'clean' to restrict information to the DSs in the team cars?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    :?: As all the riders in the TT will have started in the RR, the start list for the TT might be based on the RR results, ie Vino will be last off, just behind Taylor Phinney, etc. So Tony Martin will be one of the early starters.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    No idea what the order of play is.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I don't know the order, but I will be very surprised if the last three aren't Cancellara* (last), Martin and Wiggins.

*Assuming he rides.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    The farmer's pulled out of the TT hasn't he?
  • RichN95.
    Who's that? They're all farmers aren't they?
  • RichN95.
    Oh, is he out? That's a shame. He wouldn't have won though.

As a comparision, this is the startlist from Beijing. The best riders all at the end, although there is only one rider per country in each section, so Froome will ride at a quite different time to the other favourites.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... tartlisttt
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Got a source for that Rick? First i've heard of it.

If true then it's looking good for Wiggins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Maybe I'm making it up. Sure I saw it somewhere.

Either way, he won't be doing well.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I think he stopped in the RR, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Only non-starter for TT Ive seen is Cuddles
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

I think he stopped in the RR, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Only non-starter for TT Ive seen is Cuddles

Was certainly going slowly. Was still all bandaged up.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118

I think Hugh Porter said it, and thus it can be completely ignored ("Maybe Cavendish should go on a break?").
  • rick_chasey

I think Hugh Porter said it, and thus it can be completely ignored ("Maybe Cavendish should go on a break?").

Wasn't listening to him - was on the hill innit ;).
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Anyone going to watch the Time Trial? I hadn't planned to, but I have a day of annual leave left, so I'm considering it now. Maybe drive most of the way down and then ride across to the course....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Still no idea on start times?!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris