7662836384_05e93e72c5_h-1.jpg?t=1343563892
    Contador is the Greatest
  • xing88
    xing88 Posts: 15
    dsc0710os.jpg
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Anyone got the link to the BBC news at 10pm so i can see this interview with Cavendish - whats this about having words with the reporter david bond....prob something to do with the guy not knowing anything about cycling ?
    I don't have a link, but it was indeed David Bond (BBC Sports Editor) and at the end of a typically content-free interview and as Cav walked off, he asked Cav if he hadn't won because of "tour de france tiredness".
    Cav replied "stop asking stupid questions. do you even understand road cycling?". Which was a quite reasonable response. Bond's report on the race for the news amply supplied the answer.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Anyone got the link to the BBC news at 10pm so i can see this interview with Cavendish - whats this about having words with the reporter david bond....prob something to do with the guy not knowing anything about cycling ?
    I don't have a link, but it was indeed David Bond (BBC Sports Editor) and at the end of a typically content-free interview and as Cav walked off, he asked Cav if he hadn't won because of "tour de france tiredness".
    Cav replied "stop asking stupid questions. do you even understand road cycling?". Which was a quite reasonable response. Bond's report on the race for the news amply supplied the answer.

No worries - (BBC sports editor ???) Thats a joke ive seen a few of this tossers reports on other sports....I actually think most of us on here would do a better job than these "Hangers on" at the BBC. I mean Claire balding the swimming host its laughable. Mr Bond would be better off coming out and explaining why Hugh "Mr Magoo" Porter made an ars* of himself in that shambolic commentary yesterday.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    What was Porter doing? I wasted little time in taking advantage of Eurosport's coverage.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    My two cents:

- GB screwed up. Chasing down big breakaway groups for 200km with only four workers (+a couple of Austrian sellouts) was a recipe for disaster. Should have sent someone up the road or formed a proper alliance with Germany/Australia. Not sure if it is arrogance or lack of tactical nous. Sky won't be dominating the classics any time soon.

- Germany screwed up more. No plan, no interest in getting Greipel into position. Half hearted late efforts aside. What were they hoping for.

- Gutted for Chinny. He should have been the man today, bit stacked on a roundabout I've gone through a thousand times without incident (and with no cobbles or cars to deal with neither).

- Gilbert is brainless or didn't read his roadbook. A 50km flat solo on big wide roads with a lot of engines behind. Hmmmm.

- Schorn will be getting a Sky contract next year or be brought to another team to be Cav's lead out man.

- Uran will be joining Astana. Possibly Fuglesang too

- Vino's an 'orrible unrepentant doper, but what a racer. Knows when to break and when to gamble (and when to pay off people to make friends). I should hate him, but I don't. I actually laughed my ass off when he won. Seems from the warm congratulations that the peloton like him too. Hooray for clean cycling.

- the BBC remains classless and clueless. Woeful coverage with woeful commentary followed by a downright insulting interview with Vino. A congratulations might have been in order.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

To the unintitiated (spl?) it's not an unreasonable question for a BBC reporter representing the populous. Cav was virtually a shoe in for the Gold as far as many people were concerned, so many are bound to ask 'so why didn't you win'? Understandably Cav was visibly gutted, and it was probably a question too far, but he should have dealt with it better.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • frenchfighter
    Timoid. wrote:
    - Not sure if it is arrogance or lack of tactical nous.

Boonen: "They seemed a little too self-confident to me,” the former World champion said. “Everyone thought that the gap to the breakaway would be closed down, and I myself believed that they had everything under control.

“But they overestimated themselves,” he explained. “At some point in the finale was one of their guys was still fetching water, but you should never do that. Suddenly the gap was 20 seconds bigger and I think that was where they lost the race.”
    Timoid. wrote:
    Seems from the warm congratulations that the peloton like him too.

Yeah lots of riders, including Gilbert
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m7x768gmZG1qacyk6o1_400.jpg
    tumblr_m7x768gmZG1qacyk6o2_400.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Timoid. wrote:
    - Not sure if it is arrogance or lack of tactical nous.

Boonen: "They seemed a little too self-confident to me,” the former World champion said. “Everyone thought that the gap to the breakaway would be closed down, and I myself believed that they had everything under control.

So it didn't work out for you too well then Tom. Shame.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • frenchfighter
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Lol, take him out Cav
    Contador is the Greatest
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4460546/Mark-Cavendishs-failure-shows-Team-GB-needed-a-Plan-B.html

The Sun's sports journalist (mainly for football) gives his opinion on the Mens Road Race.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Timoid. wrote:
    My two cents:

- GB screwed up. Chasing down big breakaway groups for 200km with only four workers (+a couple of Austrian sellouts) was a recipe for disaster. Should have sent someone up the road or formed a proper alliance with Germany/Australia. Not sure if it is arrogance or lack of tactical nous. Sky won't be dominating the classics any time soon.

- Germany screwed up more. No plan, no interest in getting Greipel into position. Half hearted late efforts aside. What were they hoping for.

- Gutted for Chinny. He should have been the man today, bit stacked on a roundabout I've gone through a thousand times without incident (and with no cobbles or cars to deal with neither).

- Gilbert is brainless or didn't read his roadbook. A 50km flat solo on big wide roads with a lot of engines behind. Hmmmm.

- Schorn will be getting a Sky contract next year or be brought to another team to be Cav's lead out man.

- Uran will be joining Astana. Possibly Fuglesang too

- Vino's an 'orrible unrepentant doper, but what a racer. Knows when to break and when to gamble (and when to pay off people to make friends). I should hate him, but I don't. I actually laughed my ass off when he won. Seems from the warm congratulations that the peloton like him too. Hooray for clean cycling.

- the BBC remains classless and clueless. Woeful coverage with woeful commentary followed by a downright insulting interview with Vino. A congratulations might have been in order.

As soon as I saw the live text update that Vino had gone clear, my interest increased 100 times..which I know is wrong, but Vino has enlivened a great many bike races and we read a lot of comments on here that races are getting boring..whatever can be said about Vino, he was not boring and he has overcome a serious injury last summer. I hope he passes the dope control. There's a reasonable chance he will pass the dope test but I don't think it's certain. I noticed Vino trained from 13-17 years old with the Soviet Union so in some ways, his formative years will have been totally in that cold war system and I guess doping
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    My 2 cents from watching it in bits in a bar in Brussels...

Well - DB was right, Team Sky/Team GB are sh1t at the classics (/one day races)...

That said, when the group had got the gap, there was little that could be done. Those regulars who watch the classics may remember me screaming blue murder at Sky during Paris Roubaix that they could nt let Boonen get that much of a gap. Basically I think the team made exactly the same mistake again.

Fair, but unhelpful comments from Cav about the other teams, I expected the Aussies and the Germans to work more than they did. A good #burn on the terrible BBC bloke but it won't have won him many non-cycling friends...

I suppose this is the opposite side of the Cancellara debate. You can work and get a second, but if you don't work, then you end up with nothing...

Both the boys and girls races looked like good races, shame I only got to see the last few bits of both of them....

Gutted Vino won tbh, bit like Valverde in the Tour last week. Canc would have been my darling - rare lack of bike handling skillz from him - real shame!

Btw - Brussels and Brugge are both lovely cities and well worth a visit. I was very impressed by Belgium as a whole actually, it has a very bad, and totally undeserved rep. Lots of excellent beer and friendly people -The roads really are terrible though!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Nasty suspicion we might have witnesses the end of the Wiggins effect too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I know as the BBC Sports Editor you can't be an expert on every sport but surely a basic grasp of the sport you're reporting on would be beneficial?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Timoid wrote:
    Germany screwed up more. No plan, no interest in getting Greipel into position. Half hearted late efforts aside. What were they hoping for.
    I think the problem was that the Germans shared Boonen's view that the British team would close the gap down.
    Boonen: "They seemed a little too self-confident to me,” the former World champion said. “Everyone thought that the gap to the breakaway would be closed down, and I myself believed that they had everything under control.”
    The Germans' plan was probably to let the British close the gap down and then they could lead out Greipel for the win with the British team spent. By the time the German team realised it wasn't going to happen and started to help out it was too late.
  • frenchfighter
    Ireland didnt figure at all in this race. Martin, Roche and McCann were their riders. They all finished in the Cav group. At least one of them should have tried to have gone with the first group.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Blimey some of the language and comments towards Cav on this thread are disgraceful.

The UK media simply pass judgement on something they know very little about. Same old same old. Its a one day race, anything can happen and it just wasn't their day. Oh well, lets all suck it up and move on to the next.

I just hope Wiggins didn't leave too much out there ahead of Wednesday.
  • timoid.
    Ireland didnt figure at all in this race. Martin, Roche and McCann were their riders. They all finished in the Cav group. At least one of them should have tried to have gone with the first group.

Agreed. We were embarrassing. Our best chance was sitting at home cursing the selectors. McCann doesn't have the class, but Roche and Martin should hang their heads in shame. Not so much as a dig off the front. Poor.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    thegibdog wrote:
    Timoid wrote:
    Germany screwed up more. No plan, no interest in getting Greipel into position. Half hearted late efforts aside. What were they hoping for.
    I think the problem was that the Germans shared Boonen's view that the British team would close the gap down.

They really should have cottoned on that 4 against 30 was never going to work so should have started working with GB earlier. Fail
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Cogidubnus wrote:

That's painful to watch... the BBC really have no idea about cycling.
  • luckao
    What was so bad about that clip? I appear to have missed something (it wouldn't be the first time).
  • alihisgreat
    Luckao wrote:
    What was so bad about that clip? I appear to have missed something (it wouldn't be the first time).

They miss the point.

Saying stupid little things like "Even Wiggins can't keep up with the pace".. well that's the point of a lead-out train.. they kill themselves to close the gap. If they knew anything about cycling they would have said something like "wiggins and froome gave everything to try and close the gap" rather than "oh look.. they can't keep up!" :roll:

and the guy interviewing Cav is awful.. its even worse than when when Geoff Shreeves told Ivanovic he couldn't play in the Champions league final :lol:
  • luckao
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was a reference to his question about fatigue. I thought he was only asking as an aside. If he was digging for a core reason by asking that question, yeah, it's quite silly.

I tend to take anything from them with a pinch of salt. The Daily Mirror's coverage was terrible. If you weren't familiar with the sport, you'd think Vino juiced before the race and then beat Cav in a sprint. As if it wasn't enough that they were expressing outrage over a result in a sport they barely acknowledge, they even went with Borat references.

Tomorrow's edition will see them leading the calls for Armitstead to receive a Queen's honour.
  • alihisgreat
    Luckao wrote:
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was a reference to his question about fatigue. I thought he was only asking as an aside. If he was digging for a core reason by asking that question, yeah, it's quite silly.

I tend to take anything from them with a pinch of salt. The Daily Mirror's coverage was terrible. If you weren't familiar with the sport, you'd think Vino juiced before the race and then beat Cav in a sprint. As if it wasn't enough that they were expressing outrage over a result in a sport they barely acknowledge, they even went with Borat references.

Tomorrow's edition will see them leading the calls for Armitstead to receive a Queen's honour.

oh god.

I pray they don't accuse Vos of doping!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The British tabloid press seem to have some kind of sense of entitlement going on about cycling. But I suppose its too be expected.

Froome's missus tweeted that the SRM's show the race was harder than the difficult Tour stages.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.