Olympic RR *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Jesus Christ. He may be many things (some unsavoury) but a nobody he certainly ain't unless it is a veiled reference to his doping past.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Oh dear... someone needs to introduce them to Google (and 'palmarés')

Yep, they could google 'Tour de France Cheaters' and currently this comes up first
    http://www.wauchopegazette.com.au/news/national/national/general/the-victor-that-noone-wanted-to-see/2638039.aspx
    The 38-year-old served a two-year ban for blood doping after testing positive during the 2007 Tour de France. And while he did the time and had every right to return to competition, the fact he has never openly shown remorse or guilt, or even given an explanation for his drug cheating, has left many feeling uneasy.

When he added an Olympic gold medal to his already significant baggage on Saturday, that unease increased — especially considering the British Olympic Committee has the view that dopers should be banned from the Games for life. The BOC feels this so strongly that it had one of its own riders, confessed drug cheat David Millar, banned for life until the Court of Arbitration for Sport overturned the ruling earlier this year.

Vinokourov's win will ensure his career ends on a high. But by the time the sun began to set over The Mall on Saturday night, we felt a conspicuous absence — that of the warm glow that a race as dramatic as this fully deserved.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Gladiator wrote:
    Ive been saying it for years, Cavendish is overated. I dont dislike the guy and hes a good cyclist obviously, but i think hes bigged up way more than he should be. The fastest man? For sure but he needs a perfect lead out in order to acieve it.

Today was rubbish, its no good him moaning about other teams, why should they help Team GB? And if he doesnt like it, then go out and do it yourself instead of sitting behind team mates. They saw the break and should have reacted, they should have gone with them, it was a huge break, not 3 or 4 riders that the peloton could have caught.

Fact is, Cavendish just cant climb, and if he was that great Dave Brailsford would be falling over himself to keep him at Team Sky but the fact hes said he can go if he wants tells you everything. You wouldnt hear Jose Mourinho saying that about Ronaldo.

'needs a perfect lead out in order to achieve it' garbage he hardly got lead out winning the World's last year, and similar in his first stage of this year's tour.

I missed watching the race live with it being in the middle of the night here in NZ, but woke up so disappointed with the result and after watching the highlights. Disappointed not because Cav didn't win, when 90% of the field had an interest in making sure it didn't go to a sprint finish it was hardly surprising. A top effort by the GB riders I felt.

Nope the disappointment is Vinokourov's win tarnishing it, an unrepentant doping cheat caught and never acknowledged it, at the time or on his return or any time since. I always fail to see the general admiration for him from the majority on this forum, yet the hate shown by most of the same to Armstrong.
    The could hardly be least depressing winner.

I'm far more disappointed that Vinokourav won, than the fact the Cav/GB didn't.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    RichmondParkFans.jpg

Was that the 12s and unders' warm-up race?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    and Vino will retire next wednesday....have a look at how he struggled in Tour of Langkawi and following stages races, and the 3 week TDF has been enough in the legs to get him back where he was before his very bad crash in TDF 2011. A broken pelvis and he still came back! I think his doping past can be seen in the context of the era he comes from and he is probably someone who would have done well without being juiced. I think he did a great ride yesterday. I am not that disappointed he won and like how he is gonna c.ock a snook at everyone next wednesday by retiring with a lovely gold medal round his neck. He was by far the most enteraining, exiciting roadman in the last 10 years and attacked all over the place on any terrain. Far more exciting than this team controlled stuff GB tried yesterday..to try to deliver a win to someone who couldn't or wouldn't jump to cover dangerous moves-which is what road racing is and always should be about
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Gladiator wrote:
    I know it inside out, i run a team. What i do know is that people get blinded by the media, and dont have the balls to admit when something isnt as good as it cracked up to be. A voice on a forum doesnt make you an expert, real life does, try it sometime. Unless youre all show and no go?

LMAO! Are you 12? Of course you run a team, Mr Mitty! LOLLMAOLOLLOLO!!!!!1111 :mrgreen:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Your quoting Cav from something he said right after the race when he is bound to be frustrated as it was one of his big goals of the season and something he wont get another shot at for 4 year (depending on the profile of the course) The GB team rode themselves into the ground and as a show of teamwork it was impressive.

The only "wanker" is you im afraid, you come across as very bitter for some reason

He is a wanker. Sick of him TBH. Even reported him to the Mods to see if that account couldn't be banned for being a trolling little c*nt, but apparently you have to murder someone on these boards to get banned.

It's clearly an alt account of someone who lacks the backbone to post under their usual username. Sad and pathetic individual that they are.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    "Caught short: There were bizarre scenes earliy on in the race when a dozen riders stopped by the side of the road to urinate"

got to love the newbie reporting of the daily mail! i think i prefer cycling being a niche sport!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Vino's comments on cyclingnews are worth reading.

If anyone has a pic of Fabu's bike pls post. Or any of him. Amazing kit/bike. It was the same shoulder as in Flanders.

Unless he's come out with "I've been a complete too and I'm sorry" I doubt it; certainly can see any contrition on the bits I read. As far as I'm concerned he's still saying "F*ck you" to cycling

This is the only thing worth reading about Vino

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/vinokourov ... lse-loses/

The title says it all
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    edited July 2012
    Generally I don't like dopers, particularly those with no proper admission. But somehow Vino always get a bit of a free pass from me, no idea why.
    But in terms of cycling the guy has race smarts in buckets, many stronger riders could do with his race brain, not least Gilbert and Cancellara.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Luckily Cancellara's collarbone isn't broken.

http://twitter.com/f_cancellara/status/ ... 8266565633
    Mañana
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Your quoting Cav from something he said right after the race when he is bound to be frustrated as it was one of his big goals of the season and something he wont get another shot at for 4 year (depending on the profile of the course) The GB team rode themselves into the ground and as a show of teamwork it was impressive.

The only "wanker" is you im afraid, you come across as very bitter for some reason

He is a wanker. Sick of him TBH. Even reported him to the Mods to see if that account couldn't be banned for being a trolling little c*nt, but apparently you have to murder someone on these boards to get banned.

It's clearly an alt account of someone who lacks the backbone to post under their usual username. Sad and pathetic individual that they are.

That must make BB Fred West :lol:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    dougzz wrote:
    Generally I don't like dopers, particularly those with no proper admission. But somehow Vino always get a bit of a free pass from me, no idea why.
    But in terms of cycling the guy has race smarts in buckets, many stronger riders could do with his race brain, not least Gilbert and Cancellara.
    I think that he wins by taking what's in those buckets and taking them intravenously.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gladiator wrote:
    I know it inside out, i run a team. What i do know is that people get blinded by the media, and dont have the balls to admit when something isnt as good as it cracked up to be. A voice on a forum doesnt make you an expert, real life does, try it sometime. Unless youre all show and no go?

LMAO! Are you 12? Of course you run a team, Mr Mitty! LOLLMAOLOLLOLO!!!!!1111 :mrgreen:

If he's not 'all show and no go' himself, then he'll be back on telling everyone which team and we can all see the results and progression since his appointment in this regard.

I think it will be great to have someone on the forum so informed, maybe they can mentor us a bit.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichmondParkFans.jpg
    That spectator on the far right is pretending to take a picture of Cav.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Vinokourov's win will ensure his career ends on a high" How nice - and such an apt turn of phrase!

If he was clean yesterday, then that's all that counts. He did his time - the lack of apologies, grovelling, whatever, is neither here nor there. He won. That's all.

Not that I watched it. I'm boycotting the whole global-corporate-capitalist-consumption-as-god circus (as in throw the stupid masses some bread and the occasional circus).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • MrTapir
    Well what a fantastic day, me and my girlfriend went out to the A24 on the loop, so many people out and it was a great atmosphere. I did wonder about the strength of the breakaway when the second group got clear as I saw Gilbert and Chavanel in it and there were loads of riders, and I was timing my own gaps so it was becoming more clear that it wasn't to GB's day, and then there were 3 swiss riders as they left the loop and I thought it was probably game over.

Then Leatherhead was closed apparently cos there were too many people in it, so we watched the last 20kms on girlfriend's phone.

I'll post a few pics in a minute
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    symo wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    I think that he wins by taking what's in those buckets and taking them intravenously.
    Quite possibly, but why only him. Would Basso or Valverde have been seen in quite the same light?
    http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/vinokour ... dest-word/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Horner would have won if he hadn't needed to stop for a McDonalds in the last 20km.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Ms Tree wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Only 1 rider of the top 5 did the Tour.
    So much for Boardman's prediction - the winner will have ridden the Tour! :oops:
    But it was the winner who did ride the Tour.

Silly me! :oops: I realised later. Still I do admit my mistakes.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • MrTapir
    photos:
    P7282365.jpg

Tony Martin as the meat in the GB sandwich
    P7282338.jpg

Pinotti leads the break
    P7282369.jpg

Race Face!
    P7282378.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    oly12menrr-fabian.jpg

medailles_jo_2012.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Anyone got the link to the BBC news at 10pm so i can see this interview with Cavendish - whats this about having words with the reporter david bond....prob something to do with the guy not knowing anything about cycling ?
  • frenchfighter
    400-RTR35HV4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    British journalism at its best - or just indicative of the general "cluelessness" of the sport? (apologies if this has been posted elsewhere)

http://twitpic.com/acu1xe
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    ^Lol

“But they overestimated themselves,” he explained. “At some point in the finale was one of their guys was still fetching water, but you should never do that. Suddenly the gap was 20 seconds bigger and I think that was where they lost the oozrace.”
    -Boonen, and I think that might have been when Wiggins went back
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    f_cancellara Hope the womens race have a lot of crowd to, please to the spectators make al least 2steps back.we risked our life a lot yesterday

Any US viewers, here is the full coverage:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/cyclin ... -race.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    7667639962_5a720e99d9_b.jpg
    7666552404_32b335e854_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest