Olympic RR *SPOILERS*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:

Plus David Millar is every bit as much a druggie as Vino yet it's ok for him to win a Tour stage. Vino is, like Putin or Assad, totally unapologetic. Maybe this is what the press have an issue with.

If you can't tell the difference between Millar and Vino you must be Hugh Porter.

FTFY
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    iainf72 wrote:

Plus David Millar is every bit as much a druggie as Vino yet it's ok for him to win a Tour stage. Vino is, like Putin or Assad, totally unapologetic. Maybe this is what the press have an issue with.

If you can't tell the difference between Millar and Vino, well then I have no words.
    There is a difference, just not a big difference and I think I did agreat job at explaining it. Millar's taken some very PR-heavy advice on how to portray himself. He knows he's at the end of his career and wants to cash in, write his tell-all book, etc. Vino will be taken care of by the state forever, he could care less about what a bunch of fat, slow forum writers like us think.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    iainf72 wrote:

If you can't tell the difference between Millar and Vino you must be Hugh Porter.

FTFY

*like*
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    thiscocks wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    A cycling mate of mine sent me a text with the following insightful line - "With the benefit of hindsight it seems obvious that team GB had very little chance of winning, thanks to those awful foreigners trying to beat them..." :D

I thought Vino deserved it on the day, but it did leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. Would have far preferred Cancellara to win, felt so sorry for him when he crossed the line looking like a broken man and had to be consoled by one of the Swiss coaches.
    Why, do you think he is still on drugs and somehow has managed to trick his way out of hundreds of tests hes had since 2009? He would have outsprinted Cancellara anyway.
    I think you somehow wandered into the wrong thread. Entertaining to see Lance talking points wheeled out in support of Vino though!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

If you can't tell the difference between Millar and Vino, well then I have no words.
    There is a difference, just not a big difference and I think I did agreat job at explaining it. Millar's taken some very PR-heavy advice on how to portray himself. He knows he's at the end of his career and wants to cash in, write his tell-all book, etc. Vino will be taken care of by the state forever, he could care less about what a bunch of fat, slow forum writers like us think.

So when Millar confessed havig been in custody for 48 hours he was doing it under advice of a PR agency? Because acually admitting that he'd cheated is one major difference between him and Vino.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    B/c he's a punk who says whatever he believes the public/press want to hear. Case in point, when he was originally banned by the BOC he was all "well with my past it's the right thing, one must respect the Olympic ideals, Sir Chris lives in a black & white world..." etc. etc. Then, after the BOC changed their minds wild-horses couldn't drag him away from competing. Your average gov't minister couldn't have flip-flopped better.

Look, people weren't happy when Vino won LBL a couple years back so perhaps this latest win will prompt the IOC to implement a blanket policy across all sports federations?

At least the guy came to race and race he did. Anyone know what he said to Uran before the sprint? I'll be attacking from your left? :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

At least the guy came to race and race he did. Anyone know what he said to Uran before the sprint? I'll be attacking from your left? :-)

"100,000 euro ok?"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    B/c he's a punk who says whatever he believes the public/press want to hear. Case in point, when he was originally banned by the BOC he was all "well with my past it's the right thing, one must respect the Olympic ideals, Sir Chris lives in a black & white world..." etc. etc. Then, after the BOC changed their minds wild-horses couldn't drag him away from competing. Your average gov't minister couldn't have flip-flopped better.

Get your facts straight!

BOC didnt change their minds, they hade to, they couldnt legally prevent him from entering. Millar said he wasnt going to challange the ban himself, and he didnt. Dwain Chambers did and as a result Millar is allowed to ride.
    Mañana
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pb21 wrote:

Get your facts straight!

BOC didnt change their minds, they hade to, they couldnt legally prevent him from entering. Millar said he wasnt going to challange the ban himself, and he didnt. Dwain Chambers did and as a result Millar is allowed to ride.

Chambers didn't challenge that ban either. It was WADA that ruled it non-compliant with their code, which BOA then appealled to CAS and lost.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    iainf72 wrote:

"100,000 euro ok?"

Yeah, so it looks like Vino might have bought the race. Don't want to go OTT, but there's a fair chance.

Have any journos asked Uran what the f he was doing?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    The Germans did do some work, but not a great deal. Martin put some turns in early on, before he dropped out. According to the GB team they'd talked to the Germans and been assured some help.

Whether the Germans gambled and failed or whether they just didn't have what was needed is another question. Boonen claimed they went to the front and "blew after 5 minutes".

I can't see who GB should have put in the break anyway. Who would be likely to make an impact from a break with Chavanel, Cancellara, Gilbert, Vino, Fuglsang etc? Not like we've got that many riders with a good record from the break, is it? It was bring the break back or nothing, the only rider the break feared was Cav, and quite rightly so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    So when Millar confessed havig been in custody for 48 hours he was doing it under advice of a PR agency? Because acually admitting that he'd cheated is one major difference between him and Vino.

Is it just me, or is "confessing" when you've been caught red handed a little bit pointless. At Vino has the courage of his convictions - it was (and may well still be) impossible to be a successful pro-cyclist without doping, so why apologise for it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    11141%7C000007e72%7C7b1d_orh100000w575_london12-menrr-martin.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The Germans did do some work, but not a great deal. Martin put some turns in early on, before he dropped out. According to the GB team they'd talked to the Germans and been assured some help.

Whether the Germans gambled and failed or whether they just didn't have what was needed is another question. Boonen claimed they went to the front and "blew after 5 minutes".

I can't see who GB should have put in the break anyway. Who would be likely to make an impact from a break with Chavanel, Cancellara, Gilbert, Vino, Fuglsang etc? Not like we've got that many riders with a good record from the break, is it? It was bring the break back or nothing, the only rider the break feared was Cav, and quite rightly so.

Not having anyone who could make an impact from the break didn't stop the Aussies from putting O'Grady in the break!!

I think either a Wiggo or a Millar could have done something from the break (get a medal, not necessarily gold).
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Jez mon wrote:

Not having anyone who could make an impact from the break didn't stop the Aussies from putting O'Grady in the break!!

I think either a Wiggo or a Millar could have done something from the break (get a medal, not necessarily gold).

If Uran can get silver then Millar and Wiggo could have definitely done something.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    O'Grady took a 6th place. Good result for him, but poor for Australia, who would have had hopes of a medal.

Wiggins and Millar had already ridden their arses off by the time to think about "Plan B" was there. Unless you reckon they should have got into an early break, which would effectively doomed plan A.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Uran can get silver then Millar and Wiggo could have definitely done something.

Uran has a good record in one day races - 3rd at Lombardy, 5th in LBL, 3rd in Quebec, 3rd in Giro d'Emillia, 9th in San Sebastian.

Wiggins and Millar have never done anything.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    What alot of people sem to miss out tht the GB plan didinvolve other nations taking up the chase with them. I cannot beleive GB would be nieve o think they could do it all alone.The Germans tred and failed to do even close to th same work that GB did.I think the Aussies failed big ime by putting a guy in the break with O'grady. Put them in an impossible position of leaving him to hang himself with bigger break away riders with him. Thus preventing the aussies to chase with GB & Germany.
    If the Aussies did the chasing they would have had more chance of a medal then what they did. Coming 6th isnt much diference to coming 36th.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    O'Grady took a 6th place. Good result for him, but poor for Australia, who would have had hopes of a medal.

Wiggins and Millar had already ridden their arses off by the time to think about "Plan B" was there. Unless you reckon they should have got into an early break, which would effectively doomed plan A.

I reckon they should have gone with a less aggressive plan A I guess.

The Aussies could have chased, O'Grady could have then not done any work in the break, and either be fresher at the end, or got caught, with Goss having a shot at a medal.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    rebs wrote:
    a lot of people seem to miss out that the GB plan did involve other nations taking up the chase with them
    If that's the case, it was very gracious of the GB team to include other nations in its plan.
    Goss and Greipel could have gone home with their chests sticking out, proud to know they did their part in helping Cavendish win Gold.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    Uran has a good record in one day races - 3rd at Lombardy, 5th in LBL, 3rd in Quebec, 3rd in Giro d'Emillia, 9th in San Sebastian.
    Wiggins and Millar have never done anything.
    You will keep getting facts in the way of forum opinion :)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I liked Vino's win. The way he rode it reminded me of Andre Tchmil.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    knedlicky wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    a lot of people seem to miss out that the GB plan did involve other nations taking up the chase with them
    If that's the case, it was very gracious of the GB team to include other nations in its plan.
    Goss and Greipel could have gone home with their chests sticking out, proud to know they did their part in helping Cavendish win Gold.

Gos and Greipel could have gone home with a medal in their suitcase :roll:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It could also have been gold. Even if it was Silver or Bronze... still better then no medal.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Reading back through this now I'm on a proper PC, what other tactic could GB have employed? You've got the world's best sprinter and therefore want everything to come back together for a sprint but you also want a break to go away early and get a decent lead so that you only have to chase the once. Yes, you could put someone in a break but if that break gets caught he has been wasted and if the break stays away the chances of them getting a medal are limited unless it is a rider like Swift with a decent sprint (but none of the team are that sort of rider). The only thing I think they could have done differently would have been to choose a single rider (probably Froome as he is less of an engine than the others) to cover the breaks with the instruction not to go near the front once in them but this is still very much a tactic that would rely on luck whilst leaving the team a man short for any chase although it would have helped get other teams working. They could possibly have also climbed Box Hill faster on the last few laps as Cav never looked troubled by it which may have stopped the final group going clear.

Overall I think GB played the tactics that gave them the best chance of a win in an unpredictable event and played them well, it just didn't work out. Obviously the British media had built Cav into some unstoppable, red hot favourite and led the naiive public to believe this to be the case but how often do favourites win the men's Olympic Road Race?

BTW, I haven't seen this covered elsewhere so apologies if it has been, why was Miller on his Cervelo rather than the new GB stealth superbike?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Pross wrote:

BTW, I haven't seen this covered elsewhere so apologies if it has been, why was Miller on his Cervelo rather than the new GB stealth superbike?

'cos he doesn't ride for sky like the other did.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    rebs wrote:
    It could also have been gold. Even if it was Silver or Bronze... still better then no medal.
    That’s all very well, but no team should be so presumptuous or foolish to include other teams in its plan*, as you seem to think was the case for GB. And may have also been the mistake of Germany.

* (unless commitment is arranged, by payments under the counter, etc. :wink: )
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    knedlicky wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    That’s all very well, but no team should be so presumptuous or foolish to include other teams in its plan*, as you seem to think was the case for GB. And may have also been the mistake of Germany.

* (unless commitment is arranged, by payments under the counter, etc. :wink: )
    Have you ever watched a bike race before?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Why do the Girls not get them either...?

Did nt make much sodding difference though did they?!? [/troll]

(It was a great advert for Cervelo having 2 S5's on the womens podium!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    The only thing I think they could have done differently would have been to choose a single rider (probably Froome as he is less of an engine than the others) to cover the breaks with the instruction not to go near the front once in them but this is still very much a tactic that would rely on luck whilst leaving the team a man short for any chase although it would have helped get other teams working.

I agree that was their only other option. That's basically what the Aussies did, remind me which medal they won again? ;)