TDF Stage 16 *SPOILER*

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My prediction for today: Wiggins falls into a ravine on the Aubisque, and is retrieved by his team who tie tubular tyres together to fish him out. After the stage he's interviewed, and when asked about his trip into a ravine and subsequent retrieval he responds with "We've trained for this".

Do you think Wiggins has also do a GNVQ in black smithing in case he needs to fabricate any components for his bike during a stage?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've always been a bit sceptical as to the tactical sense of putting team mates in the break. It worked well for Andy Schleck last year but it does also require the guys in the break to do more work during the stage so by the time the leader joins them on the road they often don't have much left to give.

It often works. The best I remember in recent years was sending Cancellara off up the Tourmalet in 2008. Very useful in flat section to the Hautacam.
    exercise.png
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Does that wrap up Green for Sagan? or is it down to after tomorrow's sprint until he can't be caught?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Does that wrap up Green for Sagan? or is it down to after tomorrow's sprint until he can't be caught?

S'already wrapped up.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I wonder if he'll get the Porsche done in Grenn then...
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Where did Horner go? Did Jens lend him his shovel so he could bury something at the side of the road?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    TheStone wrote:
    It often works. The best I remember in recent years was sending Cancellara off up the Tourmalet in 2008. Very useful in flat section to the Hautacam.
    It seems to require exactly the right combination of team mate, fitness, timing and parcours which is why I think it so rarely works. It can be effective when they get it just right which is why they still try it.
  • rick_chasey
    Must say, when you've ridden it, they look ridiculously fast.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Have you ridden these then Rick?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The drags inbetween the climbs are pretty sapping too. I'd say realistically nothing will happen with the big names untill the Peyresourde. Too much time between the Aspin and the Peyresourde to be on your own.

12km - downhill! Its doable.
    Peyresourde isn't a difficult enough a descent for a skilled rider to pull out much, if any, time. Nibali might get 30 seconds on the way up though, which would make things interesting for tomorrow.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Cue, a post 30cm long!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    kanto wrote:
    It has got to the point where realistically, it is almost between Wiggins and Froome, so Sky should let them battle it out. Leaving it until the TT, where the race is already over would be a big mistake.
    Sky want to win the Tour. Letting them battle it out could result in them both losing.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Le Commentateur

I couldn't go fast enough on the Peyresourde – felt like I'd run out of high gears in the top half after the hairpins.
  • rick_chasey
    Had a quick glance and thoguht "oh, they're on the flatter bit".

Paid a bit more attention and it was the bit where I was suffering like a dog, bemoaning a road could be so steep for so long. :roll:
  • Le Commentateur
    The drags inbetween the climbs are pretty sapping too. I'd say realistically nothing will happen with the big names untill the Peyresourde. Too much time between the Aspin and the Peyresourde to be on your own.
    I wonder if Rolland will go for a long one nearing the top of the Tourmalet, setting him up for glory and a podium place tomorrow. Probably not, but it's the kind of mad show-boating that Europecar do so well with his team leader.
  • Le Commentateur

Paid a bit more attention and it was the bit where I was suffering like a dog, bemoaning a road could be so steep for so long. :roll:
    I remember those tunnels being welcome shade.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

I loved the Aubisque, so much I think I went a bit hard... I was hanging on for grim death by the top. I think I got seduced by spinning a 39x19/21 up to that square you mentioned!

There was a waterfall on one of those tunnels!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    "I had the impression that Omega Pharma-Quick Step did not believe that I am sick," Chavanel told L'Equipe.

"I'm disappointed because I wanted to ride all the way to Paris in preparation for the Olympics. The last few days I had the impression that some did not believe I was sick. I heard here and there the accusation that I'm only going home to better prepare for the Olympics."

According to Chavanel, some were under the impression that his illness was only in his head, all the while he was suffering with a temperature of 38 degrees.

"And those are the same people who had earlier been in my room to come and congratulate me with my perseverance. I do not like the hypocrisy."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Frantically trying to get all my work done before 12, when the ITV4 online coverage starts
  • frenchfighter
    Voeckler already looks like he's ridden 200km, his jersey open, pouring water over himself. We love a bit of theatrics but really, it's a hot stage, and the riders are suffering already. Today is going to be a day of suffering for everyone out there, from the guy who wins to the guy who finishes dead last.

-Cnews
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    TheStone wrote:
    I've always been a bit sceptical as to the tactical sense of putting team mates in the break. It worked well for Andy Schleck last year but it does also require the guys in the break to do more work during the stage so by the time the leader joins them on the road they often don't have much left to give.

Jens Voigt on La Madeleine in 2008. Contador and Schelck duelled away from the field. When they caught up with him, hostilities were put on hold as he killed himself dragging them both up the mountain. When Voigt blew, they started racing each other again, just further ahead of their GC rivals.
  • frenchfighter
    @Vaughters Dan Martin in the break. That's your stage winner.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    @Vaughters Dan Martin in the break. That's your stage winner.
    The elastic needs to snap first. Sky are holding it at <4 minutes for now. The break will need a nice lead at the foot of the Col D'Aspin to take the stage today. The Tourmalet will decide this issue, presumably. I'd be surprised if Sky commit to chasing such a big break properly, but you never know (Froome needs crumbs; Wiggins would be a good bet from a small group on today's flat finish...).
  • frenchfighter
    KOM could be very exciting today and tomorrow. Kess has being doing a great job but Voeckler is a strong rival and just took top points today (although Kess got 2nd).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Why are sky keeping it on a leash?
  • Le Commentateur
    Ad break at the spectacularly scenic Corniche road. :evil:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This Tour sucks so much that we ve reached 5 pages before ES coverage has even started..!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    This Tour sucks so much that we ve reached 5 pages before ES coverage has even started..!

;)

It only hadn't started for poor people who don't have ES HD
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

;)

;)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

;)

;)

It seems to have started at 9.30 on non HD according to my Eurosport Player. But given their flexibility they show in their schedules, maybe it didn't...