TDF Stage 16 *SPOILER*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Already 30C in Pau, according to France 2.
    I worry that the forecast heat may effect Wiggins.
    They are off!

He got asked about that.

Guess what is response was?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    kanto wrote:
    The only question is whether these people soft-tap again or ride like champions.

I think we can only count on Nibali and JVB. Hopefully EBH, Rogers and Porte have defaillance before the Aspin.

6739917_orig.jpg?417
    original.jpg?1341606429
    bahamontes.jpg

Sadly Nibali and JVB are too far down. The only hope is that Froome grows some balls and rips Wiggins apart, like we know he could. Otherwise, we will have had the worst TDF which has most likely been raced.

I'd love to see whether Froome could really destroy Wiggins in the mountains given the opportunity. No doubt he could jump away, but can he stay away or would Wiggins just diesel his way back up to him like he seems to do when anybody else attacks?

If you go back to the Angliru last year Wiggins only finished 30 odd seconds behind him and that's a much tougher climb than anything in the Tour and a climb that in theory would suit Froome far better.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Would be quite funny if after all this Wiggins goes and bosses the mountains.

Can't see it happening mind.

It's unlikely, but I could actually imagine Wiggins finding himself alone at the finish tomorrow, if Evans, Nibali etc attack but fail and then get dropped by the diesel monster, Froome will probably be there to nick the stage win though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    kanto wrote:
    The only question is whether these people soft-tap again or ride like champions.

I think we can only count on Nibali and JVB. Hopefully EBH, Rogers and Porte have defaillance before the Aspin.

Sadly Nibali and JVB are too far down. The only hope is that Froome grows some balls and rips Wiggins apart, like we know he could. Otherwise, we will have had the worst TDF which has most likely been raced.

I'd love to see whether Froome could really destroy Wiggins in the mountains given the opportunity. No doubt he could jump away, but can he stay away or would Wiggins just diesel his way back up to him like he seems to do when anybody else attacks?

If you go back to the Angliru last year Wiggins only finished 30 odd seconds behind him and that's a much tougher climb than anything in the Tour and a climb that in theory would suit Froome far better.

It has got to the point where realistically, it is almost between Wiggins and Froome, so Sky should let them battle it out. Leaving it until the TT, where the race is already over would be a big mistake. Surely Wiggins doesn't want to win the TDF knowing he maybe wasn't even the strongest rider in the tour, and had been partially gifted the tour, because Froome wasn't allowed to attack. A true winner should want a battle :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    kanto wrote:
    kanto wrote:

It has got to the point where realistically, it is almost between Wiggins and Froome, so Sky should let them battle it out. Leaving it until the TT, where the race is already over would be a big mistake. Surely Wiggins doesn't want to win the TDF knowing he maybe wasn't even the strongest rider in the tour, and had been partially gifted the tour, because Froome wasn't allowed to attack. A true winner should want a battle :D

You are Frenchfighter and I claim my £5.

Wiggo wants to win. Period.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As Jay-Z would* say, "This is the 99th Tour and a Brit ain't won."
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Can't imagine Wiggo being that bothered about the temperature as he's been stomping up and down Mt Teide in Tenerife in similar.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I am hoping that Evans, Nibali and Vdb will all have a go, don't think the overall will change much though, unless Wiggins has "un jour sans".
    Van Den Broeck has called for an alliance against Wiggins, saying ”At least two riders are needed to attack Sky, We three (he means Evans, Nibali and himself) must work together and not ride against each other if we want to still fight for Yellow“.

Maybe the heat will play a role - they'll have the afternoon sun on their backs the last 5-6 km going up the Peyresourde, where it's hardest, and there is no shade there.
  • rick_chasey
    Can't see Jonny in the break.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    lots of BMC in the break?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Ten Dam in there Rick!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Maybe Jonny is there....
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    Ten Dam in there Rick!

Yes
  • disgruntledgoat
    Cycling News reckon the Hoog is in
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, I saw him in the big group.

He was very active early on but then disappeared.

Seems he made the big break ahead.

Question is, will he make the selection over the Aubisque and Tourmalet?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Fredrik Kessiakoff Pro Team Astana
    Thomas Voeckler Team Europcar
    Chris Anker Sørensen Team Saxo Bank - Tinkoff Bank
    George Hincapie BMC Racing Team
    Alexander Vinokourov Pro Team Astana
    Jens Voigt RadioShack-Nissan
    Rui Alberto Faria da Costa Movistar Team
    Yukiya Arashiro Team Europcar
    Vladimir Karpets Movistar Team
    Rein Taaramae Cofidis, Le Credit en Ligne
    Johnny Hoogerland Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
    Yaroslav Popovych RadioShack-Nissan
    Steven Cummings BMC Racing Team
    Steven Kruijswijk Rabobank Cycling Team
    Vasili Kiryienka Movistar Team
    Pierrick Fédrigo FDJ-Big Mat
    Matthieu Sprick Argos-Shimano
    Luca Paolini Katusha Team
    Sandy Casar FDJ-Big Mat

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers.

2 Dutchies
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They are off!

He got asked about that.

I assume it was "We've trained for this" - it's his stock answer for everything.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Alan A wrote:
    Looking forward to watching the descents off the Aubisque & Tourmalet. I've done them both and they're great fun. Did the Tourmalet in the dark 2 years ago after Etape du Tour. Most exciting ride of my life.

Watching Thor go down the Aubisque towards his victory last year was riveting. Let's hope the breakaway attack their way down both.

Hope they don't encounter a load of cows in the middle of the road like I did.

Hah, Yep, me too coming up to the Solour
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    No Rolland

@gietvangent
  • knedlicky
    Fredrik Kessiakoff Pro Team Astana
    Thomas Voeckler Team Europcar
    Chris Anker Sørensen Team Saxo Bank - Tinkoff Bank
    George Hincapie BMC Racing Team
    Alexander Vinokourov Pro Team Astana
    Jens Voigt RadioShack-Nissan
    Rui Alberto Faria da Costa Movistar Team
    Yukiya Arashiro Team Europcar
    Vladimir Karpets Movistar Team
    Rein Taaramae Cofidis, Le Credit en Ligne
    Johnny Hoogerland Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
    Yaroslav Popovych RadioShack-Nissan
    Steven Cummings BMC Racing Team
    Steven Kruijswijk Rabobank Cycling Team
    Vasili Kiryienka Movistar Team
    Pierrick Fédrigo FDJ-Big Mat
    Matthieu Sprick Argos-Shimano
    Luca Paolini Katusha Team
    Sandy Casar FDJ-Big Mat
    Also:
    Paulinho, Vorganov, Marzano, Valls, Martin, Azanza, Ladagnous, Levarlet, Ten Dam, Izaguirre.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Looks like a few teams have sent riders up the road to act as motorbikes between the climbs...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    No liqigas in the break either. Surprised Nilabli hasn't put anyone up the road for later on
  • knedlicky
    Martinez there too.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    They are off!

He got asked about that.

I assume it was "We've trained for this" - it's his stock answer for everything.

Yup.
  • inkyfingers
    I've always been a bit sceptical as to the tactical sense of putting team mates in the break. It worked well for Andy Schleck last year but it does also require the guys in the break to do more work during the stage so by the time the leader joins them on the road they often don't have much left to give.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    COME ON JOHNNY!

Going to be a hot one, Nibs to show class and attack repeatedly. Full spaghetti western stand off in the heat. I'm luvvin it from Douglas Bay!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    I've always been a bit sceptical as to the tactical sense of putting team mates in the break. It worked well for Andy Schleck last year but it does also require the guys in the break to do more work during the stage so by the time the leader joins them on the road they often don't have much left to give.

That's why you put two or three in.

One guy to do all the work
  • Chris Horner off his bike and down the slope??? Looked like he dived over on purpose as there was a small build up in front of him. Back on though and looks unhurt
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • rick_chasey
    First bit of the Aubisque on this side is quite gentle.

Ramps up once they turn left through a little square.