F Schleck tests positive for diuretic

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    For those asking re: specified substance: http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Science-Medi ... ited-List/

What is a specified substance?

A specified substance is a substance which allows, under defined conditions, for a greater reduction of a two-year sanction when an athlete tests positive for that particular substance.

The purpose is to recognize that it is possible for a substance to enter an athlete’s body inadvertently, and therefore allow a tribunal more flexibility when making a sanctioning decision.

Specified substances are not necessarily less serious agents for the purpose of doping than other prohibited substances, and nor do they relieve athletes of the strict liability rule that makes them responsible for all substances that enter his or her body.

However, there is a greater likelihood that these substances could be susceptible to a credible non-doping explanation, as outlined in section 10.4 of the World Anti-Doping Code.

This greater likelihood is simply not credible for certain substances – such as steroids and human growth hormone – and this is why these are not classified as specified.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    So will he get a slap on the wrist and short ban like Shane Warne and Kolo Toure, or will he be properly punished?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Turfle wrote:
    The UCI Anti-Doping Rules do not provide for a provisional suspension given the nature of the substance, which is a specified substance,” read the UCI’s release.

So, is he banned, or not?

Andy

He will be politely asked to leave the race.

Same as Kolobnev last year then? (penalty not necc. circumstances)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So will he get a slap on the wrist and short ban like Shane Warne and Kolo Toure, or will he be properly punished?

Properly.

He's a pretty big name.

Worn yellow a lot, been a big protagonist in the last 6 years or so.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Turfle wrote:
    I was going to ask where's this year's positive test result!

So disappointed! If he'd been great and this happened you wouldn't be so surprised. But now I just think the peloton is as bad as ever.

Bad times...

Don't let Frank Schleck, who is known to have previously paid large money to a doping doctor, affect your faith in other riders. It's no different than Ricco getting caught again.

But what was that? Six years ago?

Ricco was a twat!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Possibly explains why his brother didn't start Le Tour!!!
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Fool = t w a t

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He paid Ferrari for 'training plans' anyway.
    Fuentes, not Ferrari [/pedant]
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I guess Radioshack have the excuse they need to avoid paying him the salary they owe.
  • I guess Radioshack have the excuse they need to avoid paying him the salary they owe.

Aye. Where does it leave Team Propecia or whatever it's called, though? Thought the deal was dependent on the Schlecks & Cancellara?

Andy
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Mike Gregg ‏@MikeGregg92
    Everyone visit Frank Schlecks new and improved website http://www.talktofrank.com #tdf

Made me laugh anyway,
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Meh, Andy generally performs OK without the presence of his brother, if Team Propecia feels comfortable with employing the brother of a doper, then I'm not sure they would care that much about the absence of Andy.

Having said that, considering that neither of them appear to particularly love bike racing, maybe without Frank's presence, Andy will just quit.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Often used as a masking agent for epo micro doses which themselves are used to mask a blood transfusion.

I think his poor form is more a function of new testing discouraging very effective doping and his giro participation and injury, rather than a function of the rest of the peloton being at it too.

Loving the positive test. Feels like progress.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    FWIW (and my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's) I'm hating all the glee in this thread.

Would you all be so gleeful if it were Wiggins or Cavendish or Evans?

Mind you, this is coming from someone who believed Landis right up to the end, and still believes that Contador was innocent and was shafted by that lying litigious drug-taking/doping LA and his joined-at-the-hip "pal" JB.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Calder wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    what is diuretic anyway?

It increases the rate of urination. I take an anti-diuretic which does the opposite.

What I can't work out is why it's a banned substance - doesn't sound all that performance enhancing.

you can get sh1t out of your system that is more damming
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Turfle wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    What do we reckon this means for his brother?

Even more looking over his shoulder.
    :D very good
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Lichtblick wrote:
    FWIW (and my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's) I'm hating all the glee in this thread.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who believed Landis right up to the end, and still believes that Contador was innocent and was shafted by that lying litigious drug-taking/doping LA and his joined-at-the-hip "pal" JB.

I think most are just trying to make light of another bad story/episode in our sport!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Everyone's missing the important question. Will Sky get their Bob the Builder helmets back now?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Lichtblick wrote:

It's just too tiring to live and die with every positive test. We all know there are cheats, and there always will be cheats. Catching them seems like good news, even more so when it's someone with history like Frank.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Mama mia this is big and unexpected news!

Wow, imagine he was juiced all along or maybe more likely that he was smoked from the TdS so wanted to boost himself. for the Tour to put a good performance in.

Where is WIGGINS comment?!?!??!?!?!?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    its not all glee....I am proper gutted.

Although I am a fan, that doesn't really matter too much. Its the catching of a top 'star' that has affected me.

I hoped we was getting past these bad days!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Oh lor', here we go...

Who's up for the sweepstake on the time of the first "Well, if Frank Schleck's on the gear, how can all those above him on GC possibly be clean?"...?

I'll go for 4:45pm Eastern Standard Time.
  • frenchfighter
    This isnt performance enhancing. He could have a perfectly good explanation for this.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwb79
    Wonder what odds you will get on him winning next years tour?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • frenchfighter
    PS. Ive been banging on all the time about the Schlecks irregular performances. Peaks and long troughs. This is often a sure sign of doping.

Contador beasted people from one end of the season to the next.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    edited July 2012
    This isnt performance enhancing. He could have a perfectly good explanation for this.

I'm sure he will.

Shame, I always liked Frank for some reason. I liked the way he was totally gutted a few years ago to miss out on wearing yellow by 'one ridiculous second'. I thought he rode in an 'old school' manner. Turns out he's more old school than even rumour suggested.

One issue for me is linked to what Rick said. Frank is a big name who has been a major antagonist (if not protagonist) for a lot of years. He's big time. I simply can not believe that individuals of such high profile are still willing to take these kind of risks. It makes me wonder who else of the big names is still at it.

All of them?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I was wondering where our Tour rest day doping bombshell was.
    Miss a couple of hours, come back and there's the crater.

Poor Frank.
    Never harmed anyone's chances of winning.

Should have stuck to the beetroot juice.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • markwb79
    PS. Ive been banging on all the time about the Schlecks irregular performances. Peaks and long troughs. This is often a sure sign of doping.

Contador beasted people from one end of the season to the next.

Are you trying to prove contador's innocence?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • frenchfighter
    Andy Schleck : "I swear on my life and my family, I'm sure Frank didn't take anything" via @le_parisien_fr
    Contador is the Greatest