The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• WheelieBad wrote:
    ha, that starts in my little hometown! center of the universe!
    Born in it, live in it - work in it.

Feels a bit like The Truman Show
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dw300 wrote:
    Anyone doing the Torr Head Challenge tomorrow?
    Yes, torn between the 50 and the big one. Really want a bit of hill practice, but not sure I have a good 70m in me inc Torr head. Will more than likely go for the long one though.
  • dw300 wrote:
    Anyone doing the Torr Head Challenge tomorrow?

Aye
  • dw300 wrote:
    I cant find a map with the routes, just a description .. are there any?

Full Details 70-miles Torr Head Challenge (Hilly) Start from Ballygalley Public Car Park, take A2 Coast Road to Carnlough, Cushendall, Cushendun (Tea Stop), Torr Head’s unclassified road to Ballyvoy, A2 back to Cushendall, Carnlough, finish at Ballygalley (Tea at finish). Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/110041839

50-miles Cushendun Challenge (mostly flat) Start from Ballygalley Public Car Park, take A2 Coast Road to Carnlough, Cushendall, Cushendun (Tea Stop), return via A2 Cushendall, Carnlough, finish at Ballygalley (Tea). Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/110047799

20-miles Carnlough Challenge (Flat) Start from Ballygalley Public Car Park, take A2 Coast Road to Carnlough and return on A2 Coast Road to finish at Ballygalley Public Car Park (Tea). Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/110049029

Start/finish location: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 82.28,,0,0

I'm not sure i'll be able to get a lift to the start anyway. :S
  • The '50' , by the way, isn't as flat as you may think. Add to this that, if you stick with the main group, it's run at a fairly high pace.
  • Thank god I invested in some new winter gear this week, was baltic this morning.

Good luck with Torr Head tomorrow another cold one no doubt
  • Lovely run out,we weren't far off Madigans pace as far as Carnlough then got dropped like hot ****. Nice run into Cushendall though until we happened on a guy who'd misjudged his speed and went arse over tit. So with 1 good arm and barely able to change gear we ushered him to the tea stop(up Layde Rd which steep enough but I've walked up worse :lol: ) hoping there was a St Johns person there (luckily there was and chappy was walking around slinged up when we left. Nothing broken AFAIK)

Brutal headwind almost all of the return journey but stopped in Carnlough to refill belly and bottles and unwillingly continued. Came across a lone lady on a TREK Lexa and being gentlemen we ushered her battered self back to Ballygalley,keeping her out of the wind and well - she gave us as much encouragement as we offered her.

She took up cycling in June post running kee injury. 35miles was her furthest ride to date. Much respect to her

Tired - fecking sore and I smell food which if it wasn't dead already - would be murdered.
  • Sounds like a good day know of a bloke who planned to do it hope it wasnt him who broke his arm!.
    Was great weather today - the last good sunday of the year perhaps - so got on my recently acquired 2nd hand road bike and headed comber - ards - greyabbey over the peninsula ballywalter and up through d'dee-b angor and hame sweet hame! Loved it possibly about 45 mile, bit of a headwind going down the peninsula but hardly any up the irish sea coast was able to knock into top crank and use the lower handlebars was great!
    Didnt seem to aggravate my hip injury touch wood even better.
    wouldnt mind doing one of those long run outs like the cushendall one today at some point, though think i have to gradually accumulate the right gear - like a water bottle for starters!! and im still going round in combat trousers bunged into old football socks!!
  • Lovely run out,we weren't far off Madigans pace as far as Carnlough then got dropped like hot ****. Nice run into Cushendall though until we happened on a guy who'd misjudged his speed and went ars* over tit. So with 1 good arm and barely able to change gear we ushered him to the tea stop(up Layde Rd which steep enough but I've walked up worse :lol: ) hoping there was a St Johns person there (luckily there was and chappy was walking around slinged up when we left. Nothing broken AFAIK)

Brutal headwind almost all of the return journey but stopped in Carnlough to refill belly and bottles and unwillingly continued. Came across a lone lady on a TREK Lexa and being gentlemen we ushered her battered self back to Ballygalley,keeping her out of the wind and well - she gave us as much encouragement as we offered her.

She took up cycling in June post running kee injury. 35miles was her furthest ride to date. Much respect to her

Tired - fecking sore and I smell food which if it wasn't dead already - would be murdered.

It was some pace them boys set round the coast, ive been in reliabilty runs slower than that. we made sure we got onto their tails just to hold on. I for one couldn't match it up the hill. Headwind on the way back was brutal. Hats off to those who went over Torr Head then had to tackle that back to balygally in ones and twos, I found it bloody tough with about 12 of us.

Chinese and Peroni has been well enjoyed this evening!
  • Anonymous
    PedroJake wrote:
    Lovely run out,we weren't far off Madigans pace as far as Carnlough then got dropped like hot ****. Nice run into Cushendall though until we happened on a guy who'd misjudged his speed and went ars* over tit. So with 1 good arm and barely able to change gear we ushered him to the tea stop(up Layde Rd which steep enough but I've walked up worse :lol: ) hoping there was a St Johns person there (luckily there was and chappy was walking around slinged up when we left. Nothing broken AFAIK)

It was some pace them boys set round the coast, ive been in reliabilty runs slower than that. we made sure we got onto their tails just to hold on. I for one couldn't match it up the hill. Headwind on the way back was brutal. Hats off to those who went over Torr Head then had to tackle that back to balygally in ones and twos, I found it bloody tough with about 12 of us.

Chinese and Peroni has been well enjoyed this evening!
    I agree, I landed late and had to put on an individual TT over the first 25m...just caught site of the group as they pulled in for the cake stop for 15 mins, doh...
    Stayed in a group of about 30, with 6 or 7 madigan ones after Torr head, and my 10 or so turns at the front were enough time in the wind from there on home. Really wouldn't have fancied it solo!
    Had a great day, somewhat tainted by a few snobby club riders, but chuckling as I dropped them like a hot potato going up Torr head made up for their sneering.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I agree, I landed late and had to put on an individual TT over the first 25m...just caught site of the group as they pulled in for the cake stop for 15 mins, doh...
    Stayed in a group of about 30, with 6 or 7 madigan ones after Torr head, and my 10 or so turns at the front were enough time in the wind from there on home. Really wouldn't have fancied it solo!
    Had a great day, somewhat tainted by a few snobby club riders, but chuckling as I dropped them like a hot potato going up Torr head made up for their sneering.

What was the problem?

Glad everyone had such a good day out wherever they were .. i went out for 34 miles and my legs were empty from the start.

However, we made use of the wind on the Comber Raceway, er, Greenway. I led out my mate, who seemed to have good legs today, for a KOM .. managed 3rd myself. Some random guy also went fast and held the KOM for an hour or two this afternoon, lol, bad luck sir!

Team KOM
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Anonymous
    I didn't know the route at all and there were a couple of big hills prior to the infamous torr head, however I didn't know what stage we were at. Asked a fella beside me at the time were we at Torr head yet. He looked me up and down, sort of sneered at my old bike and mismatched kit and said "oh you'll know it, it'll be the one where I'll be leaving you long behind" Not in a banterous sort of way might I add.
    So I stared back at his rather soft midsection and replied "the only way you would ever leave me behind on a climb would be if I had to carry the bike up it on my back"... and so it turned out. Don't know what the guys problem was, I hadn't even passed him previously or anything.

Ps good run on the greenway, my parents live just off if and I have to go visit them this morning, might take a run at it and see what's left in the tank!
  • dw300
    I didn't know the route at all and there were a couple of big hills prior to the infamous torr head, however I didn't know what stage we were at. Asked a fella beside me at the time were we at Torr head yet. He looked me up and down, sort of sneered at my old bike and mismatched kit and said "oh you'll know it, it'll be the one where I'll be leaving you long behind" Not in a banterous sort of way might I add.
    So I stared back at his rather soft midsection and replied "the only way you would ever leave me behind on a climb would be if I had to carry the bike up it on my back"... and so it turned out. Don't know what the guys problem was, I hadn't even passed him previously or anything.

I'm properly laughing out loud at this!

I'd love to have a helmet cam precisely for times like that .. edit a little video, and post it on their club forum!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Hi, just thought I'd say hello as I'm also from NI.

I don't do sportives and rarely post on here these days but I just thought I would give you all a 'virtual' wave.

All the best to you all.
  • penugent wrote:
    Hi, just thought I'd say hello as I'm also from NI.

I don't do sportives and rarely post on here these days but I just thought I would give you all a 'virtual' wave.

All the best to you all.
    Bout ye? :lol:
  • penugent wrote:
    Hi, just thought I'd say hello as I'm also from NI.

All the best to you all.
    Bout ye? :lol:

Great, yer self?
  • I survived the day without my legs falling off so it's all grand. :D
  • Bout yas all. Another local joining the ranks. Presently lugging my unfit self around 15 mile curcuits of Mallusk and Templepatrick on my new Triban 3. Have to start somewhere.
  • Germcevoy wrote:
    Bout yas all. Another local joining the ranks. Presently lugging my unfit self around 15 mile curcuits of Mallusk and Templepatrick on my new Triban 3. Have to start somewhere.
    Not a shabby start given the length of time you've been riding.

Welcome to the thread. The OP contains some links that may be handy in future.
  • I haven't been out on a proper ride in about a month, and even at that it was just a quick 20 taking in divis. Sort me out lads, I need motivating.
  • gatx
    gatx Posts: 2
    Hi all, 1st post, from Larne, rode Ballygally to Cushendun, half of the Madigan's John Lindsay Charity Cycle on Sunday. Looked to be a tough return into the wind.
    Many thanks to the Madigan volunteers for their organising and food stations
  • dw300
    We'll have to organise some sort of Bike Radar NI ride! Hello to all the new guys .. keep an eye on this thread.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Hello gatx. Another fine Larnian in the ranks :lol:
    dw300 wrote:
    We'll have to organise some sort of Bike Radar NI ride! Hello to all the new guys .. keep an eye on this thread.
    100%
  • dw300 wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

what about this sat or sunday? a 100 miler picking up people and dropping off along the way?
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

what about this sat or sunday? a 100 miler picking up people and dropping off along the way?

Well if we worked out where everyone lives, and then a route, then we can plan round availability and weather.

If everyone happy to, you can add your forum name and postcode (so not your exact location) to this google doc ..

Bike Radar NI Members List

My pin is actually about half a mile away from where I live, but that accurate enough to get an idea of where a route would need to go. You can remove your details at any time.

.. and that list feeds this map with info ..

Bike Radar NI Member Map
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

Well if we worked out where everyone lives, and then a route, then we can plan round availability and weather.

If everyone happy to, you can add your forum name and postcode (so not your exact location) to this google doc ..

Bike Radar NI Members List

My pin is actually about half a mile away from where I live, but that accurate enough to get an idea of where a route would need to go. You can remove your details at any time.

.. and that list feeds this map with info ..

Bike Radar NI Member Map
    That is a genius idea. Stole those links for the OP too :lol:

ps: that spreadsheet is a great place to gather comfortable ride distance/ability to travel/ other relevants that won't get buring in this thread.
  • dw300

ps: that spreadsheet is a great place to gather comfortable ride distance/ability to travel/ other relevants that won't get buring in this thread.

Good idea .. edited it a bit .. any more relevant info you think would be useful?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:

Good idea .. edited it a bit .. any more relevant info you think would be useful?
    Nothing else offhand. Perhaps availability ?
  • dw300
    I think i'll have to learn how to build a database instead!

I've updated the map. It's set to autoupdate, but i think its only once a day .. so I'll just refresh it every so often myself too.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I would add my name but i'm currently waiting for a hip replacement atm, off the bike for the foreseeable future sadly. :cry: