The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Wee nod to anyone cycling Ormeau/Embankment area. Some sack of dog vomit has left carpet grippers and tacks round the cycle lanes, under leaves as well. Clearly malicious, and bloody dangerous.

I managed to find a couple tonight.

I wonder if it is the guy who I reported to the police for driving the full upper ormeau road in the bus lane with his left indicator on so as to avoid the huge traffic que due to the new bus lanes. I asked the police why everyone else had to abide by the rules of the road but he would get away unpunished. "This concern will be raised with the particular driver if he is stopped by our team at a future date." I.e We don't give a phuck.
  • Ah, well, it's not like he passed a police station that's bristling with cameras. Oh. Wait...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    What's happening this weekend chaps? Plotting a coffee route myself :lol:
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I'm playing golf and recovering from that stupid trainer workout!

Tomorrow looks like a great day for a cycle though!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    40miles done, pizza ordered - Michael McIntyre at the Odyssey later :lol:
  • dw300

Skimmed that reply .. thought that said 40" pizza at first!

Enjoy your evening, MMs 'local' material is usually good, will be interesting to see what he makes of NI.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

Skimmed that reply .. thought that said 40" pizza at first!

Enjoy your evening, MMs 'local' material is usually good, will be interesting to see what he makes of NI.
    40" pizza sounds like a fair match :lol:
  • 40miles done, pizza ordered - Michael McIntyre at the Odyssey later :lol:

Was at Michael McIntyre myself last night as well. Was a good show. Though only done 20 yesterday and another 20 odd today. That might be due to the few pints I had last night
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    madden2011 wrote:

Was at Michael McIntyre myself last night as well. Was a good show. Though only done 20 yesterday and another 20 odd today. That might be due to the few pints I had last night
    MORR HORR STORR!

Fecking carpark was a nightmare! nearly 40mins trying to get near the exit. I wasn't allowed to be a ballbag to those prats in orange coats. :cry:
  • Wasnt you heckling him was it about value for money???

I parked away from the Odyssey, always a nightmare getting out of there
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    madden2011 wrote:
    Wasnt you heckling him was it about value for money???

I parked away from the Odyssey, always a nightmare getting out of there
    Haha no,taking the ball and running with it is an understatement though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    Christ did it rain today. Went out yesterday morning and got blown to shreds in a Baltic breeze. Then it clouded over and its done nothing but rain today. How about you lot ? When I watch the weather forecast, I always have a look at Belfast area 'cos if they say 'In the West of Scotland...', they are usually wrong when it comes to Stran Rear (4rse end of Scotland).

Bad weather tool: Rollers are in the post and the Turbo trainer is in the bin.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Christ did it rain today. Went out yesterday morning and got blown to shreds in a Baltic breeze. Then it clouded over and its done nothing but rain today. How about you lot ? When I watch the weather forecast, I always have a look at Belfast area 'cos if they say 'In the West of Scotland...', they are usually wrong when it comes to Stran Rear (4rse end of Scotland).

Bad weather tool: Rollers are in the post and the Turbo trainer is in the bin.
    Cold yesterday rain today. No real change from the usual :lol:
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    Fortnight off the daily commute for lots of reasons but back on the road this week - finally got a KOM on Strava :D, only 7 others have done it but I'm not going to argue! Amazing what you can accomplish when you're late for work.... :p Starting to get used to the new bike, drop bars felt very strange at first as did the (comparatively) rubbish brakes but beginning to feel more at home. All the leaves, mud and tree debris on the roads doesn't inspire much confidence though regardless of the bike I'm on... :(
  • dw300
    http://nigreenways.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/bin-lane-users-call-for-action-on-cyclists/

Also .. in my new job, Cycle to Work is offered, but I'm not allowed to leave a bike in work, WT-absolute-F?!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    http://nigreenways.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/bin-lane-users-call-for-action-on-cyclists/

Also .. in my new job, Cycle to Work is offered, but I'm not allowed to leave a bike in work, WT-absolute-F?!
    Lol. Only in Belfast

What's your new job? and where? Sounds like a bit of a shithole
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I got halfway through thinking it was serious lol before I twigged
  • dw300 wrote:

I've got a car park security guard giving me guff for using "his" car park to stow my bike while I'm working. Apparently someone had their car scratched, and it simply must have been me, amongst other nonsense. I think the poor lad needs a beer, or a ride, or maybe just a quick bat in the mouth.

Nothing I'd mind if I was in fact using the car park, but I'm only walking through it to set my bike at the back door of my workplace.
  • dw300
    I'll just say it's in the city centre and the building has 5 parking spaces for what I'd guess must be at least 100 people. But space to hang 20 bikes on a wall would take up no more than the space of a couple of desks.

I am seriously disgruntled, but mostly due to the fact that I have to give Translink Metro money. Their service is unreliable at best, and the Brothers Grimm would be proud of their timetable .. sheer fantasy.

My 5.8 mile commute took 64 minutes .. I could cycle it in 25.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • True that. Last time I bussed it to work it took 45 minutes. This morning, 12 minutes on the bike, and I was hardly rushing. I know the Ormeau is rough for traffic and all, but that's just silly.
  • paul_mck wrote:
    I got halfway through thinking it was serious lol before I twigged

+1 on that!

The bus from Sydenham to Ann Street takes 45 minutes some days. :x It was bad enough before they put those new bus lanes on Oxford Street, ridiculous now. I'll be commuting on my new Triban 3 a lot I hope.

Had a bike fit with Leo Neenan from NI Biomechanics tonight. Good guy, knows his stuff and very reasonable price. I knew I was doing most things, turns out I was doing EVERYTHING wrong.
  • dw300
    If any of you work in BT1, can I leave my bike in work with yours?!

I'm wondering about parking it in the NCP car park .. it's unmanned, and you can walk the bike round the barriers.

Leaving it chained to one of the bikestands near the courts isnt really an option .. is it?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • It's middling at best. Worst place in town is down by St Annes, know half a dozen people got bikes pinched there. If you mean the Car Park on Chichester Street, I don't know. Strikes me as a place someone would eventually complain.

The stands right at City hall seem to be ok, as I usually see roughly the same bikes there, morning and evening.
  • Had a bike fit with Leo Neenan from NI Biomechanics tonight. Good guy, knows his stuff and very reasonable price. I knew I was doing most things, turns out I was doing EVERYTHING wrong.

Would you reccomend it? I was gonna do the retul bike fit with Velo Cafe in city centre. Im going to shop around though for the best fit. Did they make the adjustments on your bike?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm very interested in a bike fit too but they were all coming in at around £250-270 which seems a lot to me.
  • dw300
    I probably need a bike fit too.

£250-270?! I thought a Retul was about the most expensive at about £170 .. fark.

Someone count how many people need one and we'll do a tender process to get some quotes. :P
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Would love to but I'm not gonna pay for a fit now when I plan to upgrade soon enough :lol:
  • Would love to but I'm not gonna pay for a fit now when I plan to upgrade soon enough :lol:

Thats also a plus for the retul fit. They give you the measurements to take with you, he also said he would apply the measurements to another bike for 30 quid. Granted a new bike might require a different set up though. I think I was quoted 170 from Cafe Velo Magasin in Ormeu Avenue
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I'm up and own Ormeau avenue every day and I've never seen that place. Where should I be looking?
  • http://velocafemagasin.com/

I think its above Spring and Airbrake.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0