The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dw300 wrote:
    Anyone do it? I've decided I'm not built for long flat rides after last year!

Went up Divis again instead. Took over 4 minutes off my best on this segment and moved up to 5th. I could get another place if I hadn't had to dodge pedestrians I reckon, but other than that I could not have given any more - 177bpm for 31 minutes. I simply won't get under 30 minutes without fitness gains, so it's a good yardstick.

http://app.strava.com/rides/19809435#356807551
    That was a hell of an effort. That climb seems like a good yarrd stick all right. gutted it's a bank holiday I gave my legs a rest yesterday and then wake up to an horrendous rainy November day.
    I also have heard that LTL can be a bit of a demolition derby.
  • Email fired off to Kings Moss. Hopefully get a run out with them at the weekend 8)

Up for it Paul?
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Im still FUKKED from saturday. Maybe a little 30miler this weekend then the big causeway run week after!

Cant believe youre actually signing up, when was it April we were out with them?
  • paul_mck wrote:
    Im still FUKKED from saturday. Maybe a little 30miler this weekend then the big causeway run week after!

Cant believe youre actually signing up, when was it April we were out with them?
    Aye it was lol! Out last night myself,legs a bit tender still
  • Anyone doing the South Down Cycle for Marie Curie this weekend?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Is it true you can do it and just pay the registration, as it's a bit late to organise sponsorship for me now?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • You can register on the morning, a tenner for all distances. There's a minimum sponsorship of £30 to be raised, but the email I got specifically asked folk not to bring the money on the day, as it's a pain in the hole for them.

If you see a wheezing wreck on a Cannondale hybrid, say hello.
  • Doing Madigans run for the same charity on the 23rd,otherwise I would. Can't bully sponsorship out of the same people twice in the same month :lol:
  • You can register on the morning, a tenner for all distances. There's a minimum sponsorship of £30 to be raised, but the email I got specifically asked folk not to bring the money on the day, as it's a pain in the hole for them.

If you see a wheezing wreck on a Cannondale hybrid, say hello.

I did the South Down run a few years ago when i just got back into cycling, its a nice relaxed run for all comers. More mountain bikers than roadies and a fairly gentle pace, all for a good cause, well organised, you'll enjoy it. Then you'll want to do a longer sportive as more of a challenge Then you'll want to upgrade the bike. Then join a club, then spend more than you can afford on bikey stuff!
  • Doing Madigans run for the same charity on the 23rd,otherwise I would. Can't bully sponsorship out of the same people twice in the same month :lol:

Great run, done it the last 2 years. The miles from Ballygalley to Cushendun are like riding in a full on peleton, the Madigans guys set a good pace on the front! Have you done it before? Are you doing the actual Torr Head part....?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NqMtkijdBw
  • PedroJake wrote:
    Doing Madigans run for the same charity on the 23rd,otherwise I would. Can't bully sponsorship out of the same people twice in the same month :lol:

Great run, done it the last 2 years. The miles from Ballygalley to Cushendun are like riding in a full on peloton, the Madigans guys set a good pace on the front! Have you done it before? Are you doing the actual Torr Head part....?

First time and 50mile chicken run :D I would need an ambulance at the top of the Ballyvoy section :lol::lol:
  • PedroJake wrote:
    Doing Madigans run for the same charity on the 23rd,otherwise I would. Can't bully sponsorship out of the same people twice in the same month :lol:

Great run, done it the last 2 years. The miles from Ballygalley to Cushendun are like riding in a full on peloton, the Madigans guys set a good pace on the front! Have you done it before? Are you doing the actual Torr Head part....?

First time and 50mile chicken run :D I would need an ambulance at the top of the Ballyvoy section :lol::lol:

Good decision mate, bit like myself!
  • 50mile run up the coast tomorrow if anyone wants to join me. Simple out and back + food stop :D
  • dw300
    I hope to intercept NDCC near Comber, cycle down, do the 50k, and cycle back up. Should amount to 80 miles for me doorstep to doorstep.

Although I've done plenty of mileage, i've not done more than 55 - 60 miles this year .. so not gona go off too fast!

Will look out for a Cannondale hybrid!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Ordered a set of crud roadracers mk2 which appeared on the table this morning.

2 hours,much swearing and 4 coffees later I finally got them to sit correctly and not rub. Turns out I was tightening up the front cabletie too much, which was lifting the guard into the caliper and causing the front to tip.

#dumbass #onlyriding10kastyressquealingisdrivingyoumad #noraintoday #bollocks

On a positive note, contact with KMCC was sucessful and I've been invited to join them midweek or Sundays.
  • Those skirt wearing,ginger jessies across the pond have taken our ideas viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12877095

But they'll never take......... Our lols? :lol:
  • A really enjoyable ride yesterday, nice undulating country. The road from Strangford back to Ardglass for the 80k was fecking horrible, though. Just (Just!!!) under 3hrs for the run, including a five-mile navigation failure, at the very first turn. Unspectacular but solid for a guy who's only really back at the bike for a year.

It has cemented in my mind the need for a real road bike, as soon as possible. It's time I stopped making eyes at the CAAD8 and got her up for a dance.
  • A really enjoyable ride yesterday, nice undulating country. The road from Strangford back to Ardglass for the 80k was fecking horrible, though. Just (Just!!!) under 3hrs for the run, including a five-mile navigation failure, at the very first turn. Unspectacular but solid for a guy who's only really back at the bike for a year.

It has cemented in my mind the need for a real road bike, as soon as possible. It's time I stopped making eyes at the CAAD8 and got her up for a dance.
    Good job! Stop eyeing up bikes, get 'er bought
  • GHB indeed, sir.
  • dw300
    LOL TMHNET, glad you got those on eventually, did you watch the installation guide video linked elsewhere in the forum? I was looking at a set of those, but I reckon I'll just ride the trainer most of the winter!

I also noticed the Scottish thread .. haven't had a peep yet even though being a ginger maybe i have some heritage that could entitle me to!

Mr M .. good job on the 80k (+5 miles)! Did you ride solo? I rode with a North Down CC group, we did the 50k plus the run down and up. A good lot of the Bangor riders did a century.

Aren't the CAAD frames notoriously harsh riding? Get a Supersix Carbon, that's what I've got my eye on. £1500 for 105 groupset.

Anyone doing the CRC Causeway Coastal thing next week? 50/80/100-and-something with Torr Head thrown in somewhere. I can't afford the £35 till I get a job unfortunately.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    LOL TMHNET, glad you got those on eventually, did you watch the installation guide video linked elsewhere in the forum? I was looking at a set of those, but I reckon I'll just ride the trainer most of the winter!

I also noticed the Scottish thread .. haven't had a peep yet even though being a ginger maybe i have some heritage that could entitle me to!

Mr M .. good job on the 80k (+5 miles)! Did you ride solo? I rode with a North Down CC group, we did the 50k plus the run down and up. A good lot of the Bangor riders did a century.

Aren't the CAAD frames notoriously harsh riding? Get a Supersix Carbon, that's what I've got my eye on. £1500 for 105 groupset.

Anyone doing the CRC Causeway Coastal thing next week? 50/80/100-and-something with Torr Head thrown in somewhere. I can't afford the £35 till I get a job unfortunately.
    I should have lol! Do the Madigans one :P £15
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    dw300 wrote:

yup, doing the middle run, looks BRUTAL!
  • I did ride solo, yeah. Met a few MAMILs on the road from my hometown club, but they barely knew me as I moved away 15 year ago. Decent banter with a few folks round the route.

As for the CAAD vs. SuperSix... I'm iffy, to be honest. There's really only Dave Kane's selling Cannondale around Belfast, and I'd say a SuperSix would be pretty much RRP from there. Bikes and guitars are my main indulgences, and I really don't care not to try before I buy. Riding a Bad Boy day in, day out has left me pretty well inoculated to aluminium harshness, I think I almost prefer the feel. Yes, at times I can tell what kind of mood the guy laying the road was in, but mostly it's fine.

Mostly, though, it'd make sense, money-wise to get an CAAD-something with Tiagra, then swap the 105 mechs, cassette et al off my Bad Boy. I got the group for not very much, and whilst it's very nice, it's probably more than a little underused on it's current chassis.

In the £1500 quid braket, there's a 105 equipped Wilier Izoard hanging in the window of Bikedock that does catch the eye...
  • Ordered a set of crud roadracers mk2 which appeared on the table this morning.

2 hours,much swearing and 4 coffees later I finally got them to sit correctly and not rub. Turns out I was tightening up the front cabletie too much, which was lifting the guard into the caliper and causing the front to tip.

#dumbass #onlyriding10kastyressquealingisdrivingyoumad #noraintoday #bollocks

On a positive note, contact with KMCC was sucessful and I've been invited to join them midweek or Sundays.[/quote]

TMHNET, just a note on our next few runs. There are a crowd from the club doing a charity cycle from Donegal to Carrickfergus next weekend; with them being away overnight it might mean very few out on the normal Sunday run.....

The following week I think as a club we're doing the Torr Head. A few will head up the actual Torr Head but most will just do the 50 from Ballygally, though will also have cycled over from Ballyclare.

You shoulda came along yesterday, a gentle run to Crumlin, finished off with the Knockagh Road climb then the Woodburn Road for good measure! Legs still arent right this morning!
  • PedroJake wrote:
    TMHNET, just a note on our next few runs. There are a crowd from the club doing a charity cycle from Donegal to Carrickfergus next weekend; with them being away overnight it might mean very few out on the normal Sunday run.....
    Didn't know about that :shock: John Reid has my mobile and email though
    You shoulda came along yesterday, a gentle run to Crumlin, finished off with the Knockagh Road climb then the Woodburn Road for good measure! Legs still arent right this morning!
    I regretted not going. My usual company were hopeless yesterday, 2 hrs to reply to a text :evil:
  • There'll no doubt be a Sunday run on, just a heads up maybe not as many as usual out given you're prob heading over from Laaaaaaarne.
  • PedroJake wrote:
    There'll no doubt be a Sunday run on, just a heads up maybe not as many as usual out given you're prob heading over from Laaaaaaarne.
    :D
  • dw300
    TMHNET - any more details on the Madigan £15 ride? Actually I'll check their website ..

Mr M - Could you not persuade someone who already owns a bike you're interested in to let you have a test ride?

You're right, DKs will probably charge RRP. I couldn't afford one at that price.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    TMHNET - any more details on the Madigan £15 ride? Actually I'll check their website ..

Mr M - Could you not persuade someone who already owns a bike you're interested in to let you have a test ride?

You're right, DKs will probably charge RRP. I couldn't afford one at that price.
    http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/kingsmoss ... 57293.html
  • I'd be pushed. Know a lot of fellas on Spesh and Fuji, one lad with a Focus. I'd feel a bit of a dick testriding a bike in a shop and buying it online, too.

Still, though, £500...