The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• when does the map update?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    LiamW wrote:
    I would add my name but i'm currently waiting for a hip replacement atm, off the bike for the foreseeable future sadly. :cry:

Will you have the same sort of ability on the bike after a hip op? Hope it all goes well.

when does the map update?

Updated now. Probably midnight in some US timezone, so middle of the night here.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    dw300 wrote:

Will you have the same sort of ability on the bike after a hip op? Hope it all goes well.

All being well and making sure i take the full 6 months recovery time then i should be better. I can't even turn a pedal now with serious pain, walking as well is an issue. Operation is to take place before February all being well.
  • I'd love to be a part of this, but in my trade weekend days off are like hen's teeth encased in rocking horse poo.

I'll keep a wee eye to it, though. If it works out well, I'd imagine it'll happen more than once.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Added myself on to the list there!
  • dw300
    Map updated .. 5 little virtual pins on it now ..
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • added myself to the list
  • Just joined up and added myself.
  • Mark122 wrote:
    Just joined up and added myself.
    Welcome :D
  • the ballyvester velo went on tour today. at 615 am we headed off into the dark with lights ablaze and headed from millisle towards and beyond carrick starting off dry and getting a soaking. we went thru ballycarry and towaards some monument thing on a hill. hot coffee and croissant on route helped no end. no sign of the larne locals tho but we live in hope. 80 miles later we were home. we shall return in search of them later. of course trhe sun split the tres at 3 oooooclock. nice part of the world to pedal.

what about this ride out day chaps???
  • dw300
    Mark122 wrote:
    Just joined up and added myself.

You're pin isn't appearing Mark .. not sure why. Is that a valid Postcode, or is there a typo?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • the ballyvester velo went on tour today. at 615 am we headed off into the dark with lights ablaze and headed from millisle towards and beyond carrick starting off dry and getting a soaking. we went thru ballycarry and towaards some monument thing on a hill. hot coffee and croissant on route helped no end. no sign of the larne locals tho but we live in hope. 80 miles later we were home. we shall return in search of them later. of course trhe sun split the tres at 3 oooooclock. nice part of the world to pedal.

Knockagh Monument Not a bad road :D

Windy out today? I only got to look out the window. Mums not in great shape atm so straying far isn't a good idea.

Deedubyoo - Bangor postcode :O

Windy out today? I only got to look out the window. Mums not in great shape atm so straying far isn't a good idea.

wasnt too bad tbh on the wind front but we were just turning pedals over, tho we were all in appropriate atire for the season lol. full winter bike mode now,mudguards winter tyres and very poor brakes :shock:

can you reccommend a decent cof stop in that part of the world. i dont really enjoy standing at fancy petrol stations lol.

look after mum chum,you've only got the one i'm told.

wasnt too bad tbh on the wind front but we were just turning pedals over, tho we were all in appropriate atire for the season lol. full winter bike mode now,mudguards winter tyres and very poor brakes :shock:

can you reccommend a decent cof stop in that part of the world. i dont really enjoy standing at fancy petrol stations lol.

Honestly :oops: I don't know of any. My tastes haven't refined beyond petrol station offerings yet :lol:
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    the ballyvester velo went on tour today. at 615 am we headed off into the dark with lights ablaze and headed from millisle towards and beyond carrick starting off dry and getting a soaking. we went thru ballycarry and towaards some monument thing on a hill. hot coffee and croissant on route helped no end. no sign of the larne locals tho but we live in hope. 80 miles later we were home. we shall return in search of them later. of course trhe sun split the tres at 3 oooooclock. nice part of the world to pedal.

If you are out that way tackle Islandmagee, go up the Gobbins Road and by the time you get to the top you will welcome a break. Theres a great wee café popular with cyclists just round the corner there. Also a good wee one in Whitehead, down the Cable Road on the corner where you turn left into the town centre. (sorry, don’t know either names…….)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Earls is in Mullaghbouy ,Islandmagee off the Gobbins road,turn right. Cafe is.250m on the left

There is also The Rinkha which you would pass on either side of Gobbins Rd

Whitehead one is off Cable Rd on the corner of Kings Rd. Not sure about name or sunday opening.
    The coffee and cream is just down the road from that.

Gleno area - Billy Andys pub will happily serve grub. Tis very nice too..Not a bad spot to cycle to either.

I must have been having a thick cvnt day yesterday :lol:
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Earls is in Mullaghbouy ,Islandmagee off the Gobbins road,turn right. Cafe is.250m on the left

Whitehead one is off Cable Rd on the corner of Kings Rd. Not sure about name or sunday opening.

Gleno area - Billy Andys pub will happily serve grub. Tis very nice too..Not a bad spot to cycle to either.

FFS, The fellas after a coffee to warm him up, not a 99!!!!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    PedroJake wrote:

FFS, The fellas after a coffee to warm him up, not a 99!!!!

Even with a flake and sprinkles? :lol: They do tea/coffee too :p
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    7 pins on the map :o Is it route/date/distance time?
  • 7 pins on the map :o Is it route/date/distance time?

could we organise it for the weekend 27th/28th october. i have my daughter every other weekend. :D

i nice wee rout might be to meet near belfast ride up to newcastle but not a straight road tho, over to downpatrick and back to belfast via ballygowan. we can throw in a few hills and cof and cake may be involved. killyleagh has an awsome wee cof house.

just an idea tho, ive no idea how far that is but those with the legs can do the wind breaker work!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'll not step on DW's toes so he can take charge now.

Any date/day suits me. Just pick good weather :lol:
  • i'm gettin my leg warmers on as we speak!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    i'm gettin my leg warmers on as we speak!
    Waiting on mine + armwarmers and overshoes.

I blame wiggle :lol:
  • dw300

Ha, I'm sure there's plenty more experienced cyclists out there to organise. But the end of the month suits me weather permitting .. I don't really have any wet gear, so I'd prefer a dry day.

I've another guy that will do the run as well, but 2 people on the list have 40-60 as their top, although 60 in a group shouldn't be a problem for most. I think the Newcastle run would be easily 80, maybe near the ton.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

Ha, I'm sure there's plenty more experienced cyclists out there to organise. But the end of the month suits me weather permitting .. I don't really have any wet gear, so I'd prefer a dry day.

I've another guy that will do the run as well, but 2 people on the list have 40-60 as their top, although 60 in a group shouldn't be a problem for most. I think the Newcastle run would be easily 80, maybe near the ton.
    It was your idea :lol:
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Bout yas all. Another local joining the ranks. Presently lugging my unfit self around 15 mile curcuits of Mallusk and Templepatrick on my new Triban 3. Have to start somewhere.

We do this the odd time mate, carnmoney hill is great for a short sharp wake up!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199327168
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    any sportives coming up in the next few weeks? Fancy one last blast before winter :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    paul_mck wrote:
    any sportives coming up in the next few weeks? Fancy one last blast before winter :)
    Perhaps http://www.entrycentral.com/TOSD

Lol! last name on entry list
  • paul_mck wrote:
    Perhaps http://www.entrycentral.com/TOSD

Lol! last name on entry list

About two syllabyles away from mine!
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    What have you done to me! Came on here yesterday and accidentally found this thread.... Had never heard of Strava... now - fecks sake spent half the night uploading my Cyclemeter files seeing how slow I was everywhere! Now I'm sitting in work ready for the commute home psyching myself up to improve my rankings! :D I blame you all.... :P

Only back into cycling this year after a long absence but losing weight and gaining fitness since early May, usually to be found somewhere between Glenavy and Mallusk at some godawful time of the day or night on a Boardman Hybrid attempting to either get to work on time or make it home alive.

Maybe see some of you about sometime, keep 'er lit!