The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Newbies are coming thick and fast these days :D

Bout ye?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Aye not bad. 40+miles planned tomorrow, have arm and legwarmers to roadtest :lol:

Therefore bed is required :D
  • Good evening

Newbie from Bangor. Hello...
  • Aye not bad. 40+miles planned tomorrow, have arm and legwarmers to roadtest :lol:

toes. u gotta keep those toes warm!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Aye not bad. 40+miles planned tomorrow, have arm and legwarmers to roadtest :lol:

toes. u gotta keep those toes warm!
    Oh and overshoes :lol:
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    paul_mck wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Bout yas all. Another local joining the ranks. Presently lugging my unfit self around 15 mile curcuits of Mallusk and Templepatrick on my new Triban 3. Have to start somewhere.

We do this the odd time mate, carnmoney hill is great for a short sharp wake up!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199327168

Thats near enough the exact route I do when I get in from work (minus the Carmoney bit). I'll maybe add this on though I'm not sure I could push 18mph yet. More training required.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    never worry about speed mate, good to get some hills in though, the speed will come later.
  • dw300 wrote:
    I'll not step on DW's toes so he can take charge now.

Any date/day suits me. Just pick good weather :lol:

Ha, I'm sure there's plenty more experienced cyclists out there to organise. But the end of the month suits me weather permitting .. I don't really have any wet gear, so I'd prefer a dry day.

I've another guy that will do the run as well, but 2 people on the list have 40-60 as their top, although 60 in a group shouldn't be a problem for most. I think the Newcastle run would be easily 80, maybe near the ton.
    It was your idea :lol:

"suddenly, the sound ceased"!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    edited October 2012
    How about this? It's a decent little route around the East Belfast suburbs with some small climbs. Then a gradual route up the Belfast Hills with a nice descent into Belfast to finish. 60 miles total. Could be very scenic on a good day. Would meet in Belfast which seems to be the CoG for most of our riders, probably Sydenham Road (Odyssey) for free parking. Equidistant for the East Down and East Antrim guys. Anyone in greater Belfast can add some warmup / warmdown miles, or anyone wanting to do 80-100 can cycle from home if they live further afield.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/143685563

Here's a route I want to do some day. It's more or less the entire length of the A2, a century from Newry to Holywood (map shows Dundonald because I live there). - A2 Century
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Both of those links are the same chief :lol:
  • dw300

I fixeded it!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

I fixeded it!
    The first link is now to your profile

psnnetworkexploitfacepa.jpg
  • i'll get my bike! be there in an hr!
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:

I fixeded it!
    The first link is now to your profile

Work's ok when I click it .. :shock: :?:

i'll get my bike! be there in an hr!

Lol .. let us know if it a good route! :wink:
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • paul_mck
    must be private route.
  • dw300
    paul_mck wrote:
    must be private route.

Yup, now set to public. I thought they were all public by default.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • so guys, whats the consensus about this run out. i would like to plan ahead if possible. sat 27th/sun 28th is good for me, nice an early to avoid traffic and home at a sensible time. i left the house at 645am this morn with lights aglow and the velo were home for 12 noon and with smiley faces.

if its a non runner please say and i'll point the lights elsewhere.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'm still game
  • paul_mck
    wont know till closer to the time but should be game
  • dw300
    As you may or may not know from my other posts .. I'm unemployed, but starting work on the 22nd of this month. However i'll not be paid before then, and can't afford to fork out for winter clothing, which having been out lately, I'm pretty sure I'd need on a longer run if I don't want to die from exposure. So I'm gona have to say I'm out, for now.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • paul_mck
    Congrats on the new job mate.
  • dw300
    paul_mck wrote:
    Congrats on the new job mate.

Cheers buddy!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • holiday time over then :D .

i thought cycling would be a cheap day out. winter bikes, summer bikes, clothing, turbos etc.... its a fortune!
  • germcevoy
    Looks a decent route and it pretty much goes right past my front door. Don't have much in the way of winter gear myself (still in shorts and it's getting near zero most mornings now). Could problably join for the section of the route North of Belfast. Not sure what pace I could keep on my Triban 3 but sure.
  • Wee nod to anyone cycling Ormeau/Embankment area. Some sack of dog vomit has left carpet grippers and tacks round the cycle lanes, under leaves as well. Clearly malicious, and bloody dangerous.

I managed to find a couple tonight.
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    That route looks great, uses some of my regular commuting route from Mallusk up over the hills - just be sure and take it easy round there, they're the only Strava segments where I feature on the first page! ;) Would love to do it myself but might possibly be in Germany that weekend with work, won't know until nearer the time.

Have also now joined the ranks of Road cyclists proper - cycle to work scheme has just got me a very nice Cannondale Synapse, delivered yesterday and got my first run out on the way in to work this afternoon, feels so quick and surprisingly comfortable - was expecting a harsher ride but just sailed over the bumps. :D Going to take some getting used to - braking seems very uncertain after the hydraulic discs on the Hybrid.... :o
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Good choice on the Synapse :) Mudguards at the ready?
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    Yeah going to have to fit some soon - struggled home last night in a downpour on the Hybrid and got wetter from the water thrown up than the rain coming down I think. Hopefully tonight will be a bit drier.
  • germcevoy
    Step_7 wrote:
    Yeah going to have to fit some soon - struggled home last night in a downpour on the Hybrid and got wetter from the water thrown up than the rain coming down I think. Hopefully tonight will be a bit drier.

It was lovely round Mallusk tonight. Did a quick run out to Templepatrick and back. It got dark very quickly. Luckily my lights held their own.