The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• Keep a wee eye out for any dodgy looking Cannondale Bad boys for sale, lads. My much beloved was swiped today. D lock and secure car-park be damned. Spec in "Road Stolen".

Now. I had a grand saved to buy a CAAD10 as a fair weather bike I'm needing to plough into a multipurpose steed now. ANy suggestions welcome.

Saw that on the Buy and Sell page on Facebook. Scumbags. Will keep an eye out. Set up an email alert on Gumtree: http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://he ... kxrWofnEPQ
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Apparently this guy is seen cycling round the Newtownabbey / Shore Road area ..

.. we have a few representatives from up that direction ..

.. own up guys, which one of you is this?!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4996763005961&set=vb.1506303541&type=2&theater
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    If I see him, Im gonna give him your number :P
  • dw300 wrote:
    Apparently this guy is seen cycling round the Newtownabbey / Shore Road area ..

.. we have a few representatives from up that direction ..

.. own up guys, which one of you is this?!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4996763005961&set=vb.1506303541&type=2&theater

I think my girlfriend's brother used to work with this guy. He used to come into work in Shorts in drag!
  • paul_mck
    anyone for maracycle this weekend?
  • Planning my first 100 mile ride for Saturday, as long as the weather is decent. Belfast-Comber-Route 99-Killyleagh-Downpatrick-Strangford-Ardglass-Newcastle-Castlewellan-Dromara-Hillsborough-Lisburn-Belfast.

The only section I'm not familiar with is between Castlewellan and Dromara. Specifically Ballylough Road, Clonvaraghan Road, Finnis Road and Rathfriland Road into Dromara.

Looking at Google streetview the roads look OK. Anyone been over that way?
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    My thoughts are with his family. Keep safe out there people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23093987
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Another cyclist down today :/ lying in the middle of the road at the bottom of the ormeau road. Not sure if she hit another bike or a car but it didn't look good. And either some muppet took her helmet off or she wasn't wearing one, but deffo a head injury. Hope she gets well soon, haven't heard anything on the news.
  • paul_mck
    Greer_ wrote:
    Another cyclist down today :/ lying in the middle of the road at the bottom of the ormeau road. Not sure if she hit another bike or a car but it didn't look good. And either some muppet took her helmet off or she wasn't wearing one, but deffo a head injury. Hope she gets well soon, haven't heard anything on the news.

nightmare, riding without a helmet is just crazy (if that was the case). The Ormeau seems to be a particularly bad road for commuters.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    paul_mck wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:

nightmare, riding without a helmet is just crazy (if that was the case). The Ormeau seems to be a particularly bad road for commuters.
    Now that the cars can't park on the bottom stretch of the road you have 2 constant lanes of traffic with more cars cutting in and out of lanes. Won't help cyclists any as it was bad enough when they were made to slow down because of the cars parked on the side of the road.
    Don't understand why you would cycle into Belfast without a helmet. Hope the girl was ok and not seriously hurt.
  • The Ormeau looks a nightmare in rush hour traffic. I switched my route from the Newtownards Road to the Sydenham Road to avoid the traffic. Hope the girl is OK.
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    There was a picture on twitter of the broken car windscreen from that accident - thankfully they reported that the girl was seen sitting up at the side of the road so hopefully no life threatening injuries - still scary though. I'm glad my commute is mostly rural - still get close passed but there are less cars so doesn't happen too often.
  • Sodafarl
    The Ormeau looks a nightmare in rush hour traffic. I switched my route from the Newtownards Road to the Sydenham Road to avoid the traffic. Hope the girl is OK.
    Only used the Newtownards Road once at lunch time don't blame you for changing the route it was scary. Passing parked cars with the wing mirrors broke off etc what chance on a bike.

Hope the girl is alright from Monday.
  • Greer_
    I commute every day on the newtownards road, Bangor - Belfast, though its at 6 in the morning, then home around 2. It is pretty busy from the afternoon.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Greer_ wrote:

She was hit by a car that came into the bus lane looking to park. She was wearing a helmet, it broke when she hit the ground such was the impact. She's currently in a neck brace with 2 prolapsed discs in her neck, the driver stopped after she her and said surprise surprise 'i didn't see her'
  • Sodafarl
    LiamW wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:

She was hit by a car that came into the bus lane looking to park. She was wearing a helmet, it broke when she hit the ground such was the impact. She's currently in a neck brace with 2 prolapsed discs in her neck, the driver stopped after she her and said surprise surprise 'i didn't see her'

You would think that they would advertise all the new bus lanes in and around Belfast (sarcasm allowed). I work in Chichester Street and the bus lane is busier with cars than the normal lane. Maybe if they taught reading in the schools it would help. Glad the girl had a helmet on could have been an awful lot worse.
  • LiamW wrote:
    She was wearing a helmet, it broke when she hit the ground such was the impact. She's currently in a neck brace with 2 prolapsed discs in her neck, the driver stopped after she her and said surprise surprise 'i didn't see her'

There's (another) helmet vs no helmet thread on Road General at the minute, but I doubt even this would change their mind. Hasn't stopped her neck injury but the helmet has clearly done its job.

So was she filtering past traffic in the bus lane, and the car hit her from the side?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Commute the Ormeau myself. It's a terror by times. The stretch over the railway tracks, past UTV there is particularly nasty.
  • Greer_ wrote:
    I commute every day on the newtownards road, Bangor - Belfast, though its at 6 in the morning, then home around 2. It is pretty busy from the afternoon.

Yeah I'm sure it's pretty quiet at that time of the morning. I couldn't tell you as I'm still snoring. :D But in rush hour it's pretty bad around Wyse Byse, and especially at Bridge End.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    LiamW wrote:
    She was wearing a helmet, it broke when she hit the ground such was the impact. She's currently in a neck brace with 2 prolapsed discs in her neck, the driver stopped after she her and said surprise surprise 'i didn't see her'

There's (another) helmet vs no helmet thread on Road General at the minute, but I doubt even this would change their mind. Hasn't stopped her neck injury but the helmet has clearly done its job.

So was she filtering past traffic in the bus lane, and the car hit her from the side?

Yep, basically she'd just past the car when it swung in and took her out. The doctor told her that the helmet saved her life, there was no guarantee that she would have survived that impact at all.
  • paul_mck
    went up the Ormeau today around 4.30. feckin hell its a death race :(

n'ards road is mad also. came down it into town at lunchtime.

on a sidenote does anyone know where in NI might sell kids tagalong bikes? the ones with no front wheel?

ta
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    Just noticed that LIDL are doing another cycle sale starting tomorrow - usual stuff, probably pick up some more base layers, can never have too many of those, means I can keep a stash of dry ones in work.

Of course I haven't needed any for ages, feckin boiling out there at the minute. Went for a spin down by Lough Neagh this afternoon and when I rode through the usual swarm of flies they stuck to the sun cream on my arms.... Not pleasant! Still better than rain I suppose!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Step_7 wrote:
    Just noticed that LIDL are doing another cycle sale starting tomorrow - usual stuff, probably pick up some more base layers, can never have too many of those, means I can keep a stash of dry ones in work.

Of course I haven't needed any for ages, feckin boiling out there at the minute. Went for a spin down by Lough Neagh this afternoon and when I rode through the usual swarm of flies they stuck to the sun cream on my arms.... Not pleasant! Still better than rain I suppose!
    Better than in your face. Although sometimes extra protein is handy :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Sodafarl
    paul_mck wrote:
    went up the Ormeau today around 4.30. feckin hell its a death race :(

n'ards road is mad also. came down it into town at lunchtime.

on a sidenote does anyone know where in NI might sell kids tagalong bikes? the ones with no front wheel?

ta

Decathlon would or Halfords seen something like it on gumtree like a sit in tent probably not what you are looking.
  • Quick warning if you're planning a ride along Route 99 past Daft Eddy's. The Tullynakill Road into Ardmillan has been "resurfaced". Basically they've tarmaced and thrown loose gravel over it, and they'll wait until traffic eventually smooths it over. Ridiculous for a national cycle route in my opinion. Passable if you do 3-4mph probably, But I diverted to the main road.
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101
    Is it the whole length of the Tullynakill Road from Ballydrain - Ardmillan?

I was going to go that way this morning, but gave it a miss and went down the Killinchy Road to Balloo and across the Saintfield Road and into Ballygowan. I had planned to take one of the roads off the Saintfield Road, but they all had skid hazard signs up for freshly spread loose chippings - so its becoming more common again as a resurfacing technique (aka cost savings).

Apart from the initial hazard with all the loose gravel (which I think they are meant to sweep up, but never do), its makes a rubbish surface in the medium - long term. As for being inappropriate for a national cycle route, I have come across it on other parts (near Killyleagh) and the Ballydrain Road out to Ballydrain is one of the worst surfaces I have come across (apart from the nice smooth bit - why did they not resurface at least as far as Castle Espie?).

I have thought about complaining to Sustrans & the Roads Service, but it would probably do no good. Maybe a concerted campaign from everyone that uses it might help (but I wouldn't hold my breath....).
  • It starts at the Ballydrain/Tullynakill Road junction. I turned back after 20 meters after talking to a guy on a MTB coming the other way. He said it goes all the way to Ardmillan. My boss cycled the whole length of it on Saturday on his Roubaix, said it was a nightmare. The roadworks signs were still up so maybe they've still to sweep/roll the road, but I doubt it. It'll take months/years to bed in on a quiet road like that.

I emailed Roads Service yesterday, I love a good letter of complaint! I'll let you know their reply. I'll maybe copy my email to Sustrans too.

Ballydrain Road is terrible yes. Not too bad in the centre of the road, if it's quiet.

Kirkland Road further on down Route 99 is even worse.
  • Greer_
    I went down it on Monday, wasn't too bad, most of it was hardpacked by then, but I still took it a wee bit slower. It was the first time I'd ever cycled down Saintfield direction, was a lot hillier than I expected!
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101

Kirkland Road further on down Route 99 is even worse.

That is the road near Killyleagh that I was thinking off - went down it last summer and it was a nightmare. Even without the deep chippings on the road it was bad enough and I met a car, which thankfully pulled in as there isn't enough room for a car and bike to pass. Shouldn't be on the national cycle route, the Clay Road which cuts off that loop round is much better and its the way I go now.

Sounds like the Tullynakill Road is bedding down, but I will give it a bit longer - I came off at Easter and broke my right elbow, so I don't want to risk another fall just yet!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Would I be right in saying there's a Causeway Cycle Challenge, and also a Giant's Causeway Challenge? Is there also another Torr Head sportive?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread