Tour de France Stage 11 *Spoiler*

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Bit bored of this Tour now to be honest. Obviously wanted Wiggins to win but hoped it would be made difficult for him, though saying that, for reasons I cannot explain, I feel like each day thats passed I like Wiggins less and less. The Sky domination is starting to get on my t*ts, actually so is everbody else. People far back on the GC still fighting to take time back while Frank Schleck in similar possition cant be bothered and already declares himself out of contention. What a top class attitude. Actually forget Frank, i'm just majorly frustrated with this tour. :(
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Froome's been a revelation, Brailsford must be over the moon but lets wait and see where he is as they roll into Paris, its a long race and the plan may be that he runs off the front for the first half of the race with EBH or Porte for example the second part. Y'know there could be any number of scenarios designed to protect Wiggo and get him to the end in yellow, doesn't mean that Froome is charged to or has teh ability to go with him all the way.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Pinot has made me smile the most, looks class.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Bit bored of this Tour now to be honest. Obviously wanted Wiggins to win but hoped it would be made difficult for him, though saying that, for reasons I cannot explain, I feel like each day thats passed I like Wiggins less and less. The Sky domination is starting to get on my t*ts, actually so is everbody else. People far back on the GC still fighting to take time back while Frank Schleck in similar possition cant be bothered and already declares himself out of contention. What a top class attitude. Actually forget Frank, i'm just majorly frustrated with this tour. :(

In truth the other main contenders haven't even put up a fight.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • :lol: Some pretty funny stuff from 'Peter'...

"Before Tour Sagan think maybe buy satellite dish. If Sky always this boring, maybe now just stick to terrestrial."

"Many fan ask: 'Where the f**k is Sagan now?' What's the name of this motel again, @stephaniepodiumgirl?"
  • I think you're confusing 'better' with 'more stylish'. It's more exciting to watch a Chiappucci / Pantani / Contador type rider launching themselves off on attacks than watching an Indurain type grinder reel everyone in / burn everyone off. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's more effective and as a rider you play to your strengths. Why the f4ck would Wiggins launch Contador style attacks when it's clearly not what he's good at (and when he's doing so well without doing it)? It would make about as much sense as Andy Schleck sitting in the bunch on every climb and then trying to win the tour in the time trials (and yes, I know he's not riding it this year).

No.

As I will continue to reiterate Froome is on better form.

Wiggins has to do what Wiggins has to do I'm not blaming him.

What I have been suggesting that he's going to fall in the line of lower tier TDF champions and for those who follow the sport it is very frustrating to see the winner be someone who isn't the best rider.

It does not help ratings are it merely frustrates the viewing public.

In the end it doesn't matter because no matter how anyone feels Wiggins will still win the tour.

I'm merely voicing my displeasure in the manner in which it was won becuase I don't think I'm alone in thinking that Froome is the better rider.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Actually I think this is a really interesting tour... all this Froome vs Wiggins talk misses the point about how sky have gone about this race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2012
    ...for those who follow the sport it is very frustrating to see the winner be someone who isn't the best rider.
    I think we ALL follow the sport - that is why we are on here being geeks about it. I'm not frustrated because I feel the best rider is winning and that the best rider has earned his place as team leader.
    I'm merely voicing my displeasure in the manner in which it was won becuase I don't think I'm alone in thinking that Froome is the better rider.
    Fair enough. This does of course leave those of us who DO feel that Wiggins is the better rider - I for one am loving how things have gone so far.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Sagan has said before he isn't on twitter or facebook so doubt that is a real account
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited July 2012
    It boggles my mind. Wiggins has a perfect season; wins Paris-Nice, Romandie, Dauphine, finishes in the group of 4 on Planche des Belles Filles (a climb which everyone said wouldn't suit him), monsters the TT, first group on stage 8 (while Froome has a, perhaps momentary, struggle on the final climb), on the queen stage he's in a final group of 5 with his main rival a minute back down the road, and then Froome puts in a sudden, unexpected acceleration which Wiggins doesn't respond to and suddenly Wiggins is an undeserving winner and Froome is the better rider.

I really don't know why Wiggins bothers sometimes. He'll never win the Tour. He'll only win the Tour because of the parcours. He'll never climb with the best climbers. Ah he didn't respond immediately to a teammate. Gotcha.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    :lol: Some pretty funny stuff from 'Peter'...

"Before Tour Sagan think maybe buy satellite dish. If Sky always this boring, maybe now just stick to terrestrial."

"Many fan ask: 'Where the f**k is Sagan now?' What's the name of this motel again, @stephaniepodiumgirl?"

I liked: Mr Basso say on radio that Sky start to look very tired. 'Rogers can't keep his eyes open and Porte was snoring all the way up Glandon.'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    :lol: Some pretty funny stuff from 'Peter'...

I think my favourite is: "Sagan think Mr Valverde make big mistake by chase breakaway. He have serious hair envy when he catches Mr Velits."
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Boring
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Turfle wrote:
    It boggles my mind. Wiggins has a perfect season; wins Paris-Nice, Romandie, Dauphine, finishes in the group of 4 on Planche des Belles Filles (a climb which everyone said wouldn't suit him), monsters the TT, first group on stage 8 (while Froome has a, perhaps momentary, struggle on the final climb), on the queen stage he's in a final group of 5 with his main rival a minute back down the road, and then Froome puts in a sudden, unexpected acceleration which Wiggins doesn't respond to and suddenly Wiggins is an undeserving winner and Froome is the better rider.

I really don't know why Wiggins bothers sometimes. He'll never win the Tour. He'll only win the Tour because of the parcours. He'll never climb with the best climbers. Ah he didn't respond immediately to a teammate. Gotcha.
    Well said Sir.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • bucks
    bucks Posts: 91
    boring tour.. pinot has been my highlight and I enjoyed voeckler yesterday and rolland today.

This sky domination has been like watching paint dry, Sky in the media are pissing me off, and this sh*t back and forth on twitter is frankly, just embarrassing for everyone involved.

be good to have contador and A schelck back next year.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    When Cav romps ahead of Yer man on the flat, do folk say he is better than wiggo?
    If Froome can chuck in a few seconds on a climb, do folk say he is better than wiggo?

Nibali had a great burst and left them for dead. A few minutes later he was back in the group...

People are reading too much into things and declaring the new Messiah.

Brad is just riding within himself, and as he said he is just keeping the steady tempo rather than knee jerk reactions that could cause him to do a Cadel the next day.
  • Haven't the naysayers worked out that the only thing that makes the Pinot/Rolland/Voeckler swashbuckling possible, is the presence & tactics of the likes of Sky/Liquigas/BMC? You just won't get one without the other in the post-juice world IMO.

And I hate the use of the word 'boring' - patently bollocks, borderline trolling :evil:
  • Scrumple
    Oh, and total superiority, and complete excellence isn't boring. We just seem to dislike winners.

I seem to recall people saying Spain were boring in the Euros... it's just ignorant clap trap. It may not be edge of the seat, but it is technically fantastic stuff and I'm pleased to see the rest of the world left in our wake... Superb.

[edit - agre with the trolling. Some people just want attention and make up sh;te]
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Scrumple wrote:
    When Cav romps ahead of Yer man on the flat, do folk say he is better than wiggo?
    If Froome can chuck in a few seconds on a climb, do folk say he is better than wiggo?

Nibali had a great burst and left them for dead. A few minutes later he was back in the group...

People are reading too much into things and declaring the new Messiah.

Brad is just riding within himself, and as he said he is just keeping the steady tempo rather than knee jerk reactions that could cause him to do a Cadel the next day.

No,no,no, Froome was touched by the Gods. He is the tranquilo, ET, Supernatural best GT rider in the world. Come over to our side, save yourself.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    edited July 2012
    sherer wrote:

Sagan has said before he isn't on twitter or facebook so doubt that is a real account

I assumed it was because of some of the people following him... I will look into it further though.

edit: and yeah.. some of the tweets do look suspect.. unless sagan tweets during the stages in third person :lol:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    bucks wrote:
    boring tour.. pinot has been my highlight and I enjoyed voeckler yesterday and rolland today.

This sky domination has been like watching paint dry, Sky in the media are pissing me off, and this sh*t back and forth on twitter is frankly, just embarrassing for everyone involved.

be good to have contador and A schelck back next year.
    If its so boring dont watch it, go pick some apples and make some cider for us to drink while watching :wink:
    Next year will be fun, bertie off the steaks, attacks, Andy chases, oth slow down, Wiggo drags them back while riding for Froome, who rides into the sunset to win tdf No2 for uk :D
  • Scrumple
    edited July 2012
    That account is about as real as Marky Mark's schlong in Boogie Nights.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    The commentators today said more than once that three riders had quit from Vacansoleil.

That's not what it says here:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us/withdrawals.html
  • sherer wrote:

I assumed it was because of some of the people following him... I will look into it further though.

edit: and yeah.. some of the tweets do look suspect.. unless sagan tweets during the stages in third person :lol:

The last three words below and the silly picture are a bit of a give-away.
    Satirical adventures of Slovak cycling prodigy. Not Peter Sagan

edt5ie9khyo0dqmzg0s0.jpeg
  • sherer wrote:

:lol:

It says on the profile itself that it isn't him...

"Satirical adventures of Slovak cycling prodigy. Not Peter Sagan."

Great find though!
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Lichtblick wrote:
    The commentators today said more than once that three riders had quit from Vacansoleil.

That's not what it says here:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us/withdrawals.html

That only goes up to stage 10 , we had stage 11 today.

I can only count 5 Vacansoleil riders in this GC http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us/cl ... tions.html (after stage 11)
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Brad likes The Jam, so clearly he deserves to win

no idea who Froome likes, but I would guess Queen or Status Quo

Nibali - that Ride on Time bunch

Evans - Men at Work

Me - the Angelic Upstarts, got nee chance
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I don't believe this thread. People saying that Wiggins doesn't deserve to win the TdF and that the Tweeter Sagan tweets aren't real.

What do you want Wiggins to do? He is over 2 minutes up, he has finished in the (very) select first group on every uphill finish and downhill finish, he smashed the time trials, he has seen all his main rivals lose time and today he even allowed the gap to grow so Froome gained a couple of cheeky seconds on Nibali. It is not his job to attack Froome, it is to win the TdF. There are 10 stages to go, a lot of work to do, so why burn energy when he doesn't need to?

Tweeter Sagan is clearly a spoof. In every way (including saying so on the profile) Come on people....
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Daz555 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Well said Sir.

+2!