Tour de France Stage 11 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I'm getting old and the eyesight's going. Where's Cav on the chart?

It's from last year.

And I'm very confused by that chart. What is the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 thing?
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Turfle wrote:

It's from last year.

Years of doping?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh ! :mrgreen:
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just watching the highlights on itv and when Froome made the break and got a word in the ear from the team that Wiggins had been dropped he did turn his head round with a genuine look a suprise. I think he just hadn't realised.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Dave Millar has just tweeted about a Sky Wags War

Any ideas what he is going on about?

Cath Wiggins tweeted about how Rogers and Porte are examples of "genuine, selfless effort and true professionalism"

Froome's girlfriend took offence to it, interpreting it as a dig at Froome's short lived attack off the front.

Peta Todd got involved by supporting Froome.

Blah, blah, blag - a few more short tweets (leading to Millar's comment) and everyone now claiming that they don't know what the rest of the World is reading into it; and there's really nothing going on.

As one other twit commented, if that's what's going on between the wife/girlfriends, then it must be interesting inside the team.

I'm sure Cav's delighted at these developements between his 2 team mates for the Olympics and a 3rd on the side lines stirring.....

Yeah but do you think the team just said, oh that was a bad idea, yeah fair enough says Froome. Thats it. Meanwhile the WAGs are going at it like hellcats, with the riders just looking each other and rolling their eyes.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Turfle wrote:

It's from last year.

Scroll down:

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/i ... railsford/
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

He wasn't with the team then, and there's actually no evidence what so ever that they are Brailsford's views, it was an approximation based on his explanation of 1-5 boxes and what that meant to the team, he didn't actually put riders in to it.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    According to Brad, Yates said "slow", Froome Dog thought he said "go".

Two questions, why do they all call him "Froome Dog"??

Does anyone else get a lump in their throats when Francis' calf cramps up??
  • Turfle
    afx237vi wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

It's from last year.

Scroll down:

Thanks.
  • Turfle
    pat1cp wrote:
    According to Brad, Yates said "slow", Froome Dog thought he said "go".

Two questions, why do they all call him "Froome Dog"??

Does anyone else get a lump in their throats when Francis' calf cramps up??

1) Froomedog millionaire apparently. Went into the Vuelta a slumdog, came out a millionaire. I could have sworn he was called that prior to the Vuelta though.

2) I manage to turn the tv over quickly enough to never see it happen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

It's from last year.

Scroll down:

It needs to be noted that the graph is Cycle Sport's assessment of the riders, not Sky's.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    Just read Twitter, I'd been hoping to find out that Mr Chasey had asked "How many GTs has Brad now cost Froome?"

Still, the Vuelta was a long time ago and most people seem to have forgotten that the answer to the question is at least one.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2012
    Great to see Wiggins show that he has more than enough in the mountains. For those saying Froome could easily have dropped Wiggins after his break - ok to speculate but I don't see any evidence to support that.

Froome has power to punch away that Wiggins does not - this is obvious - but I get the feeling that Wiggins can drag just about anyone back eventually - and we saw Froome blow up for a while after the earlier chase. Wiggins did not falter once.

For someone who can't climb, he's not too shabby!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    MrTapir wrote:
    Yeah but do you think the team just said, oh that was a bad idea, yeah fair enough says Froome. Thats it. Meanwhile the WAGs are going at it like hellcats, with the riders just looking each other and rolling their eyes.
    Assuming there are no WAGs around at the time you can be sure the all the Sky lads are having a right laugh at their expense.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    So what if Froome can beat Brad in a climb, its a race over 21 days.

Folks should be asking what the BMC gameplan is and how Evans feels being totally left to soak up the pressure on the front by himself. Evo's great rider but he cant do it by himself!
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Folks should be asking what the BMC gameplan is and how Evans feels being totally left to soak up the pressure on the front by himself. Evo's great rider but he cant do it by himself!

You mean by himself, aside from the fantastic Teejay?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Just read Twitter, I'd been hoping to find out that Mr Chasey had asked "How many GTs has Brad now cost Froome?"

Still, the Vuelta was a long time ago and most people seem to have forgotten that the answer to the question is at least one.

:lol:

The point is, tactically there's little downside in Froome gaining time, and it seems a waste of talent to have Froome not going for it.

More importantly, fans are (midly) frustrated we're being denied a contest for yellow. Today made it clear that if there is anyone who can mount a proper challenge, it's not Nibs, or Cadel, it's Froome.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551

But Froome can TT with him and has the power to win the unch sprint after riding down breaks while pulling Wiggins, nearly getting dropped, getting back to the front to set tempo and attacking away from everyone with ease.

Froome would put Merckx to shame! Viva Sky!
  • step-hent wrote:
    Froome finished all of what 30 seconds behind Wiggins in TT and absolutely destroyed Wiggins and the field on the end of stage 7. I've seen nothing from Wiggins to suggest he's been better than Froome save for a TT which he was marginally better than Froome and TT in which he also started last. If you can't see that Froome has been better rider I don't know what else to tell you.

Did he destroy them? How many seconds did he take back in the end? We just haven't seen what would happen if Froome was let go - he seems to be riding within himself sticking with Wiggins, but he's got more of a kick than Wiggins on the climb so he can afford to up the pace like that and ride away - not clear if he'd hold it though. If he took off ahead, it's not clear whether Wiggins would bring him back slowly. But it is clear, based on the performances so far, that Wiggins would be ahead on the TT's.

I don't see how you can say that he's obviously the better rider - like I say, he's the better climber (or at least looks it) but we don't know by how much because he hasn't been given the free reign. And he's not the better TTist. I'm not saying it's not possible for Froome to win - we just haven't seen anything obvious either way. It would certainly be interesting to watch...

What has Wiggins done exactly to merit being the strongest? He won a Time trial. Froome has been pacing him along with Porte and Rogers up all the climbs. Froome was more dominant in stage 7 and he had to be pulled back in on today's stage. Wiggins hasn't attacked once this tour.

As for 30 seconds difference in the TT well like I said it isn't in my mind enough to say that Wiggins is definitively better than Froome in the TT. Wiggins had the yellow jersey and went last.

This is the Vuelta all over again although here I don't think anyone else is capable of coming in and beating them.

I suppose the real issue is why Froome signed with Sky to play super domestique when he would have been very close odds with Wiggins as a pre-race favorite.

The other issue is that as boring as US postal was at least Armstrong attacked after shedding the field. It would be an absolut shame to have a TDF winner that never attacked once.
  • Turfle
    edited July 2012
    There is plenty of downside to Froome attacking. Why would you leave the race leader alone with his only competition?

Froome attacks, now Wiggins alone with Nibali. Froome goes 40 seconds up the road, Wiggins struggles, and Nibali starts to gap him. Then what do they do?

Say Froome rides on, gains 40 seconds on Nibali, and 1'20 on Wiggins. That leaves Sky in a far weaker position.
    Say Froome drops back to help Wiggins, and they both end up losing 40 seconds to Nibali. Sky far worse position again.

What could be gained from letting Froome attack?
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Wiggins hasn't attacked once this tour....The other issue is that as boring as US postal was at least Armstrong attacked after shedding the field. It would be an absolut shame to have a TDF winner that never attacked once.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll....er.....repeat myself:
    "...as has been said a million times, he isn't a pure climber with sudden accelerations, he rides at his limit the whole way up. This leaves most people gasping in his wake - some people are able to attack off in front of him, but they nearly always get pulled back. There's no reason for him to attack with a sudden acceleration - he's already leading the tour by more than two minutes, increasing his lead at each opportunity, and a sudden acceleration (above his limit) would mean he'd have to slow down shortly after and ultimately he'd get up the mountain more slowly."
  • gattocattivo
    Rundfahrt wrote:

But Froome can TT with him and has the power to win the unch sprint after riding down breaks while pulling Wiggins, nearly getting dropped, getting back to the front to set tempo and attacking away from everyone with ease.

Just like Evans and Nibali attacked away from everyone with ease. And then got pulled back. It's one thing to be able to attack - you just put in a big dig. It's another thing to stay away to the end once you've made the attack.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I suppose the real issue is why Froome signed with Sky to play super domestique when he would have been very close odds with Wiggins as a pre-race favorite.
    Wiggins isn't going to go on forever. I doubt he'll ride until 35 - he's said that before. Froome will probably be leader next year, especially with Schleck and maybe Contador back - he's more equiped to tackle them. So he most likely saw doing a year in support and taking over a team he knows works as a better option than taking his chances with Lampre, Astana, Katusha, whoever. That's also why he won't dump on his own doorstep in this race.

Interesting note: Vaughters said on twitter that he tried to sign Froome at the start of the Vuelta, but couldn't afford him. Says that without illness he's always been capable of this.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gattocattivo
    Do we think Froome will have enough left in the tank to do the Vuelta this season? Have Sky made any announcements about their plans that far ahead?
  • Turfle
    That was the plan. Haven't heard anything about it either way since early in the season though. Uran and Nordhaug are definitely riding int.
  • Wiggins hasn't attacked once this tour....The other issue is that as boring as US postal was at least Armstrong attacked after shedding the field. It would be an absolut shame to have a TDF winner that never attacked once.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll....er.....repeat myself:
    "...as has been said a million times, he isn't a pure climber with sudden accelerations, he rides at his limit the whole way up. This leaves most people gasping in his wake - some people are able to attack off in front of him, but they nearly always get pulled back. There's no reason for him to attack with a sudden acceleration - he's already leading the tour by more than two minutes, increasing his lead at each opportunity, and a sudden acceleration (above his limit) would mean he'd have to slow down shortly after and ultimately he'd get up the mountain more slowly."

That's er umm great ... so basically what you're implying is that Wiggins is basically a super domestique who can TT better than everyone but when it comes to actually winning the race by you know demonstrating that he's better he's going to win by attrition ...

Even though he's part Belgian I still can't root for this type of victory. It's why it's frustrating that Froome isn't getting a chance because I feel that he would win the tour as I don't think Wiggins could pull him back after a massive acceleration.
  • gattocattivo
    I think you're confusing 'better' with 'more stylish'. It's more exciting to watch a Chiappucci / Pantani / Contador type rider launching themselves off on attacks than watching an Indurain type grinder reel everyone in / burn everyone off. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's more effective and as a rider you play to your strengths. Why the f4ck would Wiggins launch Contador style attacks when it's clearly not what he's good at (and when he's doing so well without doing it)? It would make about as much sense as Andy Schleck sitting in the bunch on every climb and then trying to win the tour in the time trials (and yes, I know he's not riding it this year).
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Just like Evans and Nibali attacked away from everyone with ease. And then got pulled back. It's one thing to be able to attack - you just put in a big dig. It's another thing to stay away to the end once you've made the attack.

1) You don't know if he could have stayed away since was ordered to wait for Wiggins.

2) He was pulling back breakaway and nearly getting dropped before recovering and attacking, then slowing and pulling Wiggins, the winning the group sprint. It's clear he is supernatural, clearly the best GT rider in the world. Don't be a hater!
  • gattocattivo
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    1) You don't know if he could have stayed away since was ordered to wait for Wiggins.

2) He was pulling back breakaway and nearly getting dropped before recovering and attacking, then slowing and pulling Wiggins, the winning the group sprint. It's clear he is supernatural, clearly the best GT rider in the world. Don't be a hater!

1) Equally, you don't know if he could have stayed away since he was ordered to wait for Wiggins.

2) I know you're not being entirely serious, but feel I should point out that he didn't actually win the group sprint.

Right, I'm off to watch the highlights....
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

1) Equally, you don't know if he could have stayed away since he was ordered to wait for Wiggins.

2) I know you're not being entirely serious, but feel I should point out that he didn't actually win the group sprint.

Right, I'm off to watch the highlights....

1) Yes, I do because I could see how out of this world he was riding. It was obvious to all the way he put down the power, recharged in moments in such a manner as can only be described as tranquilo.

2) Frenchies don't count, only Brits and Sky riders count!

Froome is an ET!