Tour de France Stage 11 *Spoiler*

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Is Cavendish having a rubbish Tour?

(Don't hit me! I'm not a complete novice to the TdF............)

By his own high standards, yes. By anyone else's, no.

Not really...

He's said it himself that he doesn't expect much as he doesn't have a team to back him...

its not rubbish.. he's just not got a team to back him and is targeting the Olympics instead of green.

If he was loosing despite having full backing and a good lead-out then that would be rubbish!
  • step-hent
    step-hent Posts: 62
    Froome finished all of what 30 seconds behind Wiggins in TT and absolutely destroyed Wiggins and the field on the end of stage 7. I've seen nothing from Wiggins to suggest he's been better than Froome save for a TT which he was marginally better than Froome and TT in which he also started last. If you can't see that Froome has been better rider I don't know what else to tell you.

Did he destroy them? How many seconds did he take back in the end? We just haven't seen what would happen if Froome was let go - he seems to be riding within himself sticking with Wiggins, but he's got more of a kick than Wiggins on the climb so he can afford to up the pace like that and ride away - not clear if he'd hold it though. If he took off ahead, it's not clear whether Wiggins would bring him back slowly. But it is clear, based on the performances so far, that Wiggins would be ahead on the TT's.

I don't see how you can say that he's obviously the better rider - like I say, he's the better climber (or at least looks it) but we don't know by how much because he hasn't been given the free reign. And he's not the better TTist. I'm not saying it's not possible for Froome to win - we just haven't seen anything obvious either way. It would certainly be interesting to watch...
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Is Cavendish having a rubbish Tour?

(Don't hit me! I'm not a complete novice to the TdF............)

By his own high standards, yes. By anyone else's, no.

Not really...

He's said it himself that he doesn't expect much as he doesn't have a team to back him...

its not rubbish.. he's just not got a team to back him and is targeting the Olympics instead of green.

If he was loosing despite having full backing and a good lead-out then that would be rubbish!

Plus looking at the route still 3 possible stage wins left for sprinters, with many missing a trains they had at the beginning I think Cavs got a better chance than at the beginning...
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Wiggins had more there, he was just riding withing his limits.

No Chris Froome gave up a potential minute or so into Bradley Wiggins lead. Ridiculous to see a sport brought to this. Froome should have been given the chance. He should not be stopped. Sport is about the best winning, no?
    I bet other respected commentators will say something about what we saw today re Froome being shut down

Your team has the yellow jersey. You signed on as a higly paid super-domestique. You don't endanger the yellow jersey. Period.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    And yet had Froome taken off as everyone here thinks he should only to blow 1km further up with Nibali in tow and gifts the yellow to him what would you all have thought of that?

The biggest problem with Froome's attack let along the fact wiggo was dropped was that nibali was on his wheel. I would have thought that would be probably one of the worst tactical moves that they could have made.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    A perfect day for SKY I would say. Got 1-2 in the GC.

Let's not forget this is a team sport. We've been here before.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    greeny12 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

No Chris Froome gave up a potential minute or so into Bradley Wiggins lead. Ridiculous to see a sport brought to this. Froome should have been given the chance. He should not be stopped. Sport is about the best winning, no?
    I bet other respected commentators will say something about what we saw today re Froome being shut down

Your team has the yellow jersey. You signed on as a higly paid super-domestique. You don't endanger the yellow jersey. Period.

and when he realised brad was dropped he stopped

the whole thing was a mistake rather than some evil plot by froome
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Will Froome obviously being better than Wiggins take the shine of Wiggin's win?

Come on Rick you should know better :D You really believe he's better?
  • mididoctors
    And yet had Froome taken off as everyone here thinks he should only to blow 1km further up with Nibali in tow and gifts the yellow to him what would you all have thought of that?

The biggest problem with Froome's attack let along the fact wiggo was dropped was that nibali was on his wheel. I would have thought that would be probably one of the worst tactical moves that they could have made.

+1

even froome's chances of winning the tour would have be reduced

you can't make these switching leaders call mid stage because it could really backfire badly

froome was stronger on the day but we[including the team] only know that now.... he went thru a bad patch lower down the slope
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Am I missing something here,did I not see Froome struggle to close Nibs down and then he drop back and Wiggo close? Or was that just on my screen ? Fairplay to Froome he did recover quick
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    greeny12 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

I am willing to concede to you. Bradley went to the front for a while and Froome came back to the front and then attacked. I think froome is stronger and he has time to show it. Froome must leave sky
  • mididoctors
    Dave_1 wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

I am willing to concede to you. Bradley went to the front for a while and Froome came back to the front and then attacked. I think froome is stronger and he has time to show it. Froome must leave sky

or get the leaders mantle next yr?
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    Very sad to see Froome not allowed to carry on his attack today, as he has shown that he is clearly the stronger climber out of him and Wiggins, and would have a real chance of winning the tour. His last minute attack on the earlier stage were Evans couldn't shut down, was a very strong attack, and I think we all wanted to see him throw in a proper attack from longer out. Very sad to see that they would prefer to gift it to Wiggo, when the guy hasn't even really responded to shutting down an attack, let alone attacking himself. When was the last time we had a plodder like Wiggo win the tour, without ever accelerating to respond to an attack in the mountains? Wiggins has to be the dullest potential winner I've ever seen, and it would be a travesty for cycling if this guy won the tour.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Am I missing something here,did I not see Froome struggle to close Nibs down and then he drop back and Wiggo close? Or was that just on my screen ? Fairplay to Froome he did recover quick

I know - anyone would think Brad stuck a broom handle through Froome's wheel the way everyone's whining about his terrible sacrifice and the unfairness of it all...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    [Not really...

I know what I meant and don't need correcting thanks. I'm sure Mark will be disappointed with his Tour.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    My inner chimp is making a lot of noises about Froome! :oops:

Well OK - how much time did they gain (if any) on Rollands up to La Touss...?

About 90 seconds I think.

Ok so pretty minimal then - good. Human back in control!!

(Yes I am reading the book...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Froome is clearly the best GT rider in the world. The guy is one of the top TT guys, clearly the best climber and solid on the flats. No doubt about it.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Dont think so, Nibs looks stronger and his TT was not that bad the other day.

I read he couldn't give a sample for 1 1/2 hrs after his TT.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I'd be telling my wife to lay off with the juvenile and antagonistic tweets if I were Wiggo. They won't help anyones cause, even if they do have any basis in fact.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Dave Millar has just tweeted about a Sky Wags War

Any ideas what he is going on about?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Froome is clearly the best GT rider in the world. The guy is one of the top TT guys, clearly the best climber and solid on the flats. No doubt about it.

Put your spoon away :P
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    kanto wrote:
    Very sad to see Froome not allowed to carry on his attack today, as he has shown that he is clearly the stronger climber out of him and Wiggins, and would have a real chance of winning the tour. His last minute attack on the earlier stage were Evans couldn't shut down, was a very strong attack, and I think we all wanted to see him throw in a proper attack from longer out. Very sad to see that they would prefer to gift it to Wiggo, when the guy hasn't even really responded to shutting down an attack, let alone attacking himself. When was the last time we had a plodder like Wiggo win the tour, without ever accelerating to respond to an attack in the mountains? Wiggins has to be the dullest potential winner I've ever seen, and it would be a travesty for cycling if this guy won the tour.

And Ullrich could've beaten Riis in 96: Lemond could've beaten Hinault in 85: Heras could've dropped Armstrong in the mountains in 02...

And Wiggins IS accelerating to shut gaps: what I suspect you'd like to see is a thrashing of the bike and out-of-the-saddle histrionics and more gnashing of teeth... The cycling version of a footballer diving then playing up to the ref?
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Put your spoon away :P

What, me? I have finally bought into the mentality around here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Cath Wiggins and Rick Chasey were sparring on Twitter.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

I think Rick knows!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Froome's GF is getting in on the action too
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Dave_1 wrote:

or get the leaders mantle next yr?

I agree, it's unlikely the course will be as favourable for Wiggins next year, but sky could just defend the title with another leader.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    kanto wrote:
    Very sad to see that they would prefer to gift it to Wiggo, when the guy hasn't even really responded to shutting down an attack, let alone attacking himself. When was the last time we had a plodder like Wiggo win the tour, without ever accelerating to respond to an attack in the mountains? Wiggins has to be the dullest potential winner I've ever seen, and it would be a travesty for cycling if this guy won the tour.

Firstly, he did respond to shut down Nibali's attack - he rode at the front and closed down a lot of the gap when Froome was cooked and was barely hanging on at the back. Secondly, as has been said a million times, he isn't a pure climber with sudden accelerations, he rides at his limit the whole way up. This leaves most people gasping in his wake - some people are able to attack off in front of him, but they nearly always get pulled back. There's no reason for him to attack with a sudden acceleration - he's already leading the tour by more than two minutes, increasing his lead at each opportunity, and a sudden acceleration (above his limit) would mean he'd have to slow down shortly after and ultimately he'd get up the mountain more slowly.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Jez mon wrote:
    Froome's GF is getting in on the action too

Yep, https://twitter.com/michellecound

Not a good look for anyone concerned really
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Covering themselves with glory, aren't they?

Has Cath used the C word yet? Or was the reserved for Flandis?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.