Tour de France Stage 11 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,403
    When was the last French 1-2 on a TdF stage?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Must be tempting for Yates to get Froome to do the EBH job for the rest of the Tour...

Strava is not Zen.
  • Richard Virenque on the podium? With his reputation? :roll:

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Will Froome obviously being better than Wiggins take the shine of Wiggin's win?

Well he seems/is better at climbing, although he did have a rest at the back halfway up. Wiggins is the better TTist.

I think it could take the shine of slightly but no more than winning without Contador or Schlek.
    Mañana
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    When was the last French 1-2 on a TdF stage?

When was the last UK* 1-2 on a Grand Tour GC?

*OK, Belgian-Kenyan

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    Very disappointing stage not because of the riding but because the top guys weren't allowed to go because they were pulling their teammates.

Frankly, I hope Sky loses the tour and we see a Vuelta repeat.

Evans cost Van Garderen today and may have even cost him the stage. I know team tactics and all but Evans was toast at the Croix de Fer and Van Garderen would have been able to get away had he been allowed to go.

Froome is the stronger clinber and Wiggins will likely win this tour not being the best rider, which is always disappointing.

Domestiques are paid to do a job, it's a stage race and is all about the final standings. Besides, neither Froome or TJ would have caught Rolland. Why are people saying Froome is the better rider? He is probably the better climber (although possibly just the more explosive climber) but in a GT that doesn't make you the better rider. I assume someone will be telling us Froome is under instruction to ease off in TTs to let Brad beat him.
  • step-hent
    step-hent Posts: 62
    Froome is the stronger clinber and Wiggins will likely win this tour not being the best rider, which is always disappointing.

Agree that Wiggins will likely win this tour not being the best climber but that doesn't mean he isn't the best all round rider. His TT is putting him ahead of everyone. Whether Froome could actually beat him over the whole three weeks, if they were on different teams, is debatable.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    edited July 2012
    Great ride by Pierre. It was good to see the peloton stretched so early on. I didn't quite have Evans' attempt to attack in mind when I said Nibali and Evans will need to take all of their opportunities. That's not what I'd consider an opportunity, not when Wiggins still had three Sky men around him and the climb was far from over.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    Grupetto struggling to make the time limit apparently.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    On stages like that, I so miss Contador waiting waiting waiting, then dancing up the mountains.

:(
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Nobody started this yet?! Its the queen stage for goodness sake, surely more interesting than whether Wiggo gave Nibbles a dirty look or what have you.

Albertville – La Toussuire-Les Sybelles

Distance: 148km
    Highest point: 2,067m
    Category: High mountains

I anticipate more Sky dominance, another Froome win perhaps? He might have to work a bit harder than the last MTF so maybe another climber will have the legs at the end, Rolland perhaps as he seems to have overcome his crash damage (amazing powers of recuperation at Europcar!)

I thank you very much! :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Will Froome obviously being better than Wiggins take the shine of Wiggin's win?

will Big wigg win it?

he could get turned over yet

If wiggins had won the opening prolog sky could have loaned out the jersey.... the problem is Brad took the jersey at the point where he is pretty committed to keeping it...and I don't think the UKpostals are really that postal like...if you get my drift..could just fall apart in the Pyrenees or even a transition stage

this tour came alive today... if Brad wins it will be a decent win rather than some overly calculated snooze fest
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross wrote:
    Very disappointing stage not because of the riding but because the top guys weren't allowed to go because they were pulling their teammates.

Evans cost Van Garderen today and may have even cost him the stage. I know team tactics and all but Evans was toast at the Croix de Fer and Van Garderen would have been able to get away had he been allowed to go.

Domestiques are paid to do a job, it's a stage race and is all about the final standings. Besides, neither Froome or TJ would have caught Rolland. Why are people saying Froome is the better rider? He is probably the better climber (although possibly just the more explosive climber) but in a GT that doesn't make you the better rider. I assume someone will be telling us Froome is under instruction to ease off in TTs to let Brad beat him.

Froome no ...

TJ it's a bit more difficult to say since his initial move (a cracking one at that) started on the Croix De Fer and he had the best legs imo of any of the top guys save for perhaps Rolland. TJ was dropping Evans simply with his pace on the Croix De Fer. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have liked to have seen TJ have a go at it. Frankly, I think Evans should have realized he didn't have it and let TJ go. Poor tactics by BMC, imo

Froome finished all of what 30 seconds behind Wiggins in TT and absolutely destroyed Wiggins and the field on the end of stage 7. I've seen nothing from Wiggins to suggest he's been better than Froome save for a TT which he was marginally better than Froome and TT in which he also started last. If you can't see that Froome has been better rider I don't know what else to tell you.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733

Oh come on, have you seen the rest of the race? Teejay has struggled a few stages and no way would he have won today. Also Froome struggled a bit today then recovered, is a top climber but not that far ahead of Brad he would close 2 minutes, also Brad is better TT rider and will gain another 30 secs to minute on froome, unless he has enough lead by then he does not need to push too hard.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Uh oh....wonder if Wiggo feels the same as his wife
    https://twitter.com/cathwiggins1981/sta ... 2290785280
    @Cathwiggins1981
    See Mick Rogers and Richie Porte for examples of genuine, selfless effort and true professionalism.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    edited July 2012
    Pross wrote:

Froome no ...

TJ it's a bit more difficult to say since his initial move (a cracking one at that) started on the Croix De Fer and he had the best legs imo of any of the top guys save for perhaps Rolland. TJ was dropping Evans simply with his pace on the Croix De Fer. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have liked to have seen TJ have a go at it. Frankly, I think Evans should have realized he didn't have it and let TJ go. Poor tactics by BMC, imo

Froome finished all of what 30 seconds behind Wiggins in TT and absolutely destroyed Wiggins and the field on the end of stage 7. I've seen nothing from Wiggins to suggest he's been better than Froome save for a TT which he was marginally better than Froome and TT in which he also started last. If you can't see that Froome has been better rider I don't know what else to tell you.
    Destroyed the field? lol what in last 200m of a stage with a 200m sprint ? Are you seriously saying that is destroying the field on the stage? The reason TJ looked so good when Evans got to him was the fact Evans was in the red having attacked and thats the whole point of TJ being there tactics spot on, but Evands did not quite have the legs with Sky closing and he paid for it later.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    30 seconds is hardly "marginally" better in a TT, 10 seconds maybe, but 30 is a fairly sizeable chunk. As for Froome destroying Wiggo on Stage 7...hardly what I saw, he went for a little sprint at the end of the stage. Big deal.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I got bored and went to cook dinner for the small people.

Should I bother watching the last climb later?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Is Cavendish having a rubbish Tour?

(Don't hit me! I'm not a complete novice to the TdF............)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:

It was better than yesterday GC wise...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Yeah.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    edited July 2012
    Ignore - commentators got it wrong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ta

Might have a scan then.

Interesting that JR Bernadeau said Rolland would go for the win today.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Lichtblick wrote:

S'arlight. Already won a stage.

Can't say it's a rubbish Tour if you win a stage.

Not as good as other years perhaps, but the Tour isn't finished yet.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    @Cathwiggins1981
    See Mick Rogers and Richie Porte for examples of genuine, selfless effort and true professionalism.

add this one....

https://twitter.com/Cathwiggins1981/sta ... 6192015360

Censored Cyclist ‏@CensoredCyclist
    If Froome hadn't dropped to the back, forcing Brad to close most of the gap himself, there would have been no wobble
    9:32 AM - 12 Jul 12 via web · Details

11m Catherine wiggins ‏@Cathwiggins1981
    @CensoredCyclist exactly.
    9:33 AM - 12 Jul 12 via Twitter for iPad · Details
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Lichtblick wrote:

By his own high standards, yes. By anyone else's, no.
  • rick_chasey
    Tomke wins today's stage of the Tour of Poland :)

Stybar....
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    mroli wrote:
    Wiggins had more there, he was just riding withing his limits.

No Chris Froome gave up a potential minute or so into Bradley Wiggins lead. Ridiculous to see a sport brought to this. Froome should have been given the chance. He should not be stopped. Sport is about the best winning, no?
    I bet other respected commentators will say something about what we saw today re Froome being shut down
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Wiggins had more there, he was just riding withing his limits.

No Chris Froome gave up a potential minute or so into Bradley Wiggins lead. Ridiculous to see a sport brought to this. Froome should have been given the chance. He should not be stopped. Sport is about the best winning, no?
    I bet other respected commentators will say something about what we saw today re Froome being shut down

Yup. Belgians not happy. Surprise surprise.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    @Cathwiggins1981

It looked like Froome wanted to go for a stage win. It didn't work as he'd planned. Big deal.