TdF 2012 Stage 1 **Spoilers**

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He has raced this same way for the last few years and clearly still sees it in his best interest to maintain it. Just because his approach doesn't match your opinion doesn't make him wrong.

And every time someone stays on his wheel, he gets beaten. Every time. It depends how happy he is with second I guess.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Would rather have seen Cancellara or EBH take the win.

But that's not really how pro cycling works is it?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Cancellara, knowing that finishing in the bunch would keep the jersey, should have sat up and let Sagan give the win away since he would not ride.

HE tried that. And Sagan knew he was bluffing. Sure enough, he pushed on again.

I say again Cancellara bet that nobody could hold his wheel. Wasn't the case.

No, he didn't. He slowed down, but never thought of completely giving it up to the bunch.

Exactly. He wanted to win too. He tried brazen Sagan into working and Sagan knew exactly what was happening.

You claim one thing, then I point out that he did not do it and then you say "exactly?!?" Taking all options I see. :roll:

Like I said, he should have just let Sagan screw himself out of a win.
    You lot thought it was cool? Classless and inappropriate given he didn't show the strength.

I'm belming at you right now. I disagree with you, what's the need for nastiness?

Cancellara wanted to make it appear he was prepared to sit up and go back to the bunch to make Sagan panic and come through so he could "wheelsuck him" for the remaining 500m and do him over in the sprint (FF calls this tactical genius).

Sagan didn't bite, so Canc was forced to show that he wasn't prepared to throw away the chance of victory.

Now, what would you have done in Sagan's shoes?

As to FF, I didn't see Boonen sitting on the front for the last 15km of Flanders this year.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What should Cancellara do?

If he stays in the bunch he'll lose the sprints.

For him to win he has to turn a race into a timetrial/pursuit. He has to jump and go for it 'all in'.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Sagan, naff celebration. How many times would Chinny have to stop riding before people bought it as real though. Maybe GT stages like today are is opportunity to really sell it as a possibility in one dayers? It would be very hard to sit up in PR or RvV, but a single stage of the Tour, why not? Staying at the front meant keeping yellow, so the win was a bonus rather than the objective.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What should Cancellara do?

Sit up and lose. Maybe not in this race, but in some race, sometime. But he never does and probably never will. And everyone knows that and exploits it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    inseine wrote:
    Sure Sagan was tactically good (tactics here = wheel suck and don't lose your nerve when a patron is asking you to come through). Sure he did superb to be ahead of all but fabu.

Make your mind up. I'm not going to let you forget the 'wanker' comment.

My opinion of his actions today didn't change from one post to the next. The post you quote just describes the first in more detail.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    At the end of the day, Fabu's salary is likely way more than those who wheel suck him. He also creates way more publicity for himself and makes himself memorable by riding like a champion stronger than anyone else even if he comes 2nd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    edited July 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah, we've all been saying this for years - Canc is a fantastic rider, but he needs to make a statement soon that he's not going to let people do this any more.

However, I don't think that's his style...
    dougzz wrote:
    How many times would Chinny have to stop riding before people bought it as real though. Maybe GT stages like today are is opportunity to really sell it as a possibility in one dayers? It would be very hard to sit up in PR or RvV, but a single stage of the Tour, why not?

Did he not make exactly that statement in last year's PR with Hushovd?

Personally today I thought he started started playing games way too early. The 3 of them were lucky Gilbert and the rest of the peleton didn't get their off their collective ar5es sooner.
  • MSByrne
    MSByrne Posts: 52
    Full results:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/01/tour-de-france-stage-one?newsfeed=true
    *edit* by full i actually mean top twenty... so definitely not full.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    MSByrne wrote:
    Full results:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/01/tour-de-france-stage-one?newsfeed=true
    *edit* by full i actually mean top twenty... so definitely not full.
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us/cl ... tions.html

Scroll down and click on stage classification. Results were up a few minutes after the stage finish. Well, ok, within 15 mins
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Alan A wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah, we've all been saying this for years - Canc is a fantastic rider, but he needs to make a statement soon that he's not going to let people do this any more.

However, I don't think that's his style...
    dougzz wrote:
    How many times would Chinny have to stop riding before people bought it as real though. Maybe GT stages like today are is opportunity to really sell it as a possibility in one dayers? It would be very hard to sit up in PR or RvV, but a single stage of the Tour, why not?

Did he not make exactly that statement in last year's PR with Hushovd?

Personally today I thought he started started playing games way too early. The 3 of them were lucky Gilbert and the rest of the peloton didn't get their off their collective ar5es sooner.

Roubaix was a bit different in that there were a number of K still to go (20 or so if I recall correctly), and there were riders ahead, including a Hushovd teammate. Hushovd had reason not to ride, whereas if Cancellara had completely sat up today with say 1k to go, Sagan definitely would have had reason to ride
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    ddraver wrote:
    This may end up being wrong, but I'm convinced Sagan will disappoint today, for a few reasons.

- It's his first TDF and the speed in the bunch is faster than any other race. This stage is also a long one at 198km
    - The field he was up against in California and Switzerland was no where near as strong as the one he'll be up against today.
    - He looked much too keen yesterday, and I can see him trying a Banzai move and falling off.
    - The Belgians, and especially Gilbert will be fired up for this stage.

Now watch the action unfold and prove me wrong.

:P :P :P

Seriously, I do't know why people still think Sagan is "too young" He's been at the sharp end of every big race this year!

Great Ride Sagan, The shouting at the TV has started, glad the housemates were nt here, they have nt seen me like this before!!

In my defence, I never said he was to young. Evans looked too keen today. I also said I'd be wrong.

My dodgy tip for tomorrow? Cav will fall off
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    zammmmo wrote:
    Exactly. Hardly the strongest was he.

Well he won didn't he? So clearly he was.

You lot go on as though keeping Fabian's wheel is a piece of piss?!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I see that cycling5280's very old chum lost almost a minute, today.
    The rest of the team seem to be going quite well. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    Turfle wrote:
    At some point he has to sit up entirely, even if it means throwing a possible win away.

Or he needs to break harder to prevent anyone bridging to him. Could he have gone harder today? I don't know.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Sagan afterwards:

„Naturally I was declared favourite for this etape. I thought that Chavenel would try something in the finale*. I wanted to attack on the steepest section. It was very very good, that Cancellara was there. I saw that he had very good legs and it was good that I could attach myself behind him.”

* (for those who didn’t see it, Sagan was right - at the foor of the last 2.4 km climb to the finish, it was Chavanel who tried the first attack, to be then joined and overtaken by Cancellara)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tony Martin has suspected wrist fracture

Also, it seems Sagan was prepared to help Chinny but was told not to by the car.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

Also, it seems Sagan was prepared to help Chinny but was told not to by the car.

Where did you read that Iain?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Turfle wrote:
    At some point he has to sit up entirely, even if it means throwing a possible win away.

Or he needs to break harder to prevent anyone bridging to him. Could he have gone harder today? I don't know.

Or earlier, Sagan probably wouldn't have gone with him then.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Where did you read that Iain?

which one?

first one cycling weekly, 2nd one Savoldelli reported it.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    which one?

first one cycling weekly, 2nd one Savoldelli reported it.

The Sagan comment. Reported it to whom? Got a link? Or can you cut & paste?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ddraver wrote:

My dodgy tip for tomorrow? Cav will fall off

Why do you say that?
  • iainf72
    Savoldelli:"Sagan wanted to help Cancellara but from the car they ask him not to do it" #sagan #tdf #cycling

via @albertocelani
  • TMR
    Apparently Tony Martin isn't the only one with an injured wrist:

Spaniard injures left wrist in fall

Luis León Sánchez (Rabobank) was taken to hospital for x-rays after a crash on stage 1 of the 2012 Tour de France. The Spaniard, and winner of last year's stage to Saint-Flour, crashed roughly 20 kilometres from Sunday's finish in Seraing. He finished the stage but lost 4:05 to winner Peter Sagan (Liquigas).

Clutching his left wrist as he limped into a team car headed to Maastricht hospital, a team spokesperson confirmed that Sánchez had finished the stage but complained of pain.

"He came back to the peloton after the crash but was then dropped. He's going straight to hospital now. We don't know if anything is broken but we just want some x-rays taken so that we can be sure that it's nothing serious."

Sánchez, who had been one of the favourites for victory on the opening stage, won the Spanish time trial championships last week and extended his contract with Rabobank on the eve of the Tour.
  • iainf72
    Tony Martin out with broken collarbone
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    iainf72 wrote:
    Saw that from inrng. Just got back to decent form for a crack at the olympics, too. Poor chap.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    JonGinge wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Saw that from inrng. Just got back to decent form for a crack at the olympics, too. Poor chap.

Isn't there just enough time to allow enough healing to take place to still ride the Olympics?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Cancellara, knowing that finishing in the bunch would keep the jersey, should have sat up and let Sagan give the win away since he would not ride.

HE tried that. And Sagan knew he was bluffing. Sure enough, he pushed on again.

I say again Cancellara bet that nobody could hold his wheel. Wasn't the case.

No, he didn't. He slowed down, but never thought of completely giving it up to the bunch.

Exactly. He wanted to win too. He tried brazen Sagan into working and Sagan knew exactly what was happening.

You claim one thing, then I point out that he did not do it and then you say "exactly?!?" Taking all options I see. :roll:

Like I said, he should have just let Sagan screw himself out of a win.
    You lot thought it was cool? Classless and inappropriate given he didn't show the strength.

I'm belming at you right now. I disagree with you, what's the need for nastiness?

Cancellara wanted to make it appear he was prepared to sit up and go back to the bunch to make Sagan panic and come through so he could "wheelsuck him" for the remaining 500m and do him over in the sprint (FF calls this tactical genius).

Sagan didn't bite, so Canc was forced to show that he wasn't prepared to throw away the chance of victory.

Now, what would you have done in Sagan's shoes?

As to FF, I didn't see Boonen sitting on the front for the last 15km of Flanders this year.

I guess what I said went well beyond your capabilities. Sorry, you are correct.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

FFS! 1st stage of the Tour as well. That's awful luck.