USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sherer wrote:
    Frank only pays money for training plans. The UCI even looked into it

I have always wondered about this. Why would a rider approach a Doctor for training plans? That makes no sense at all. Surely a cycling coach would be the best person to provide such help? It's a bit like me calling a plumber to fix my electrics!

Don't think like that, you'll get us all in trouble
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    *Just taking a moment out.

I F*CKING LOVE THIS.

*Ok, better now, back to it..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm a bit behind the curve having been out yesterday, but enjoying my morning read.....

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

God bless Betsy and Greg for having some backbone - there's going to be some massive suits for the recovery of monies too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Frank only pays money for training plans. The UCI even looked into it

Which is more than Frank's gynaecologist ever looked into...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh Monkey man you re killing me!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    What a great story to wake up to. Just as well I missed it last night or I'd have been up half the night enjoying this thread!!!

At long last :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'lll be honest - something super exciting about a conspiracy being unravlled - especially in a sport you've followed so closely.

As long as it doesn't cause irreparable harm from a sponsorship point of view, then I'd tend to agree. I'm more concerned about the short, medium and long term impact on our sport though.

You know, I genuinely don't think it will - no one outside of the US thinks that LA rode clean, all this will do will prove it and right some wrongs. If the UCI was managed properly I could see them coming out of this OK(ish). Look we ve sacked all the useless, corrupt crap and now we re starting anew with this brilliant, clean and friendly Aussie/Brit! (Voici une presentation à partir des Anglais avec le science) Look how well we ve done cleaning oursleves up!

Hopefully it will persuade the last few dodgy teams to sign up to Sky/Garmin type programs (just leave it Bernie!)

Big Up Yourselves Andreus, Simioni, Kimmidge, Walsh, that french bloke I ve forgotten the name of, Le Mond! (Man, imagine Phil and Paul mind's this morning...?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Bloody typical that this should all break while I'm on a 13 hour flight from hong kong!

I was actually quite interested to see how Lance could do at ironman. Looks like we may never find out....
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    WTF does it matter? What good will come of it?

Woman and children being massacred in the world and everyone here is shooting their bolt to the news that Armstrong may or may not have doped.

It's boring it's gone on long enough and even with this charge they'll never be a conclusion.

As Vic and Bob said 'let it lie'.

For me I admired his riding and his battle with cancer and don't give a f*ck if he doped or not.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    For me I admired his riding and his battle with cancer and don't give a f*ck if he doped or not.

S'a good job. You'd be pretty unhappy if you did!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    What a week! Wiggins wins, the internet experts declare him the new Lance. Schleck sends in a sick-note then the old Lance pops up. The internet experts now get to chance to bring out the graphs and their cut and paste files. Somehow, Groundhog Day keeps springing to mind
    M.Rushton
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ddraver wrote:

You know, I genuinely don't think it will - no one outside of the US thinks that LA rode clean, all this will do will prove it and right some wrongs. If the UCI was managed properly I could see them coming out of this OK(ish). Look we ve sacked all the useless, corrupt crap and now we re starting anew with this brilliant, clean and friendly Aussie/Brit! (Voici une presentation à partir des Anglais avec le science) Look how well we ve done cleaning oursleves up!

Hopefully it will persuade the last few dodgy teams to sign up to Sky/Garmin type programs (just leave it Bernie!)

DD - I wish I shared your optimism, I really do. Perhaps we'll see a temporary situation where the sport may be regarded as clean but unfortunately pro-cycling unites all the key elements that will probably see us dealing with a similar situation in 10 or 15 years time - money, people, glory and conditions where performance can be enhanced or suffering ameliorated by doping. All it takes is some rider who is struggling to keep his place or someone looking to jump to the next level to think "what if..." and then boom goes the dynamite.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    well it's about time!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's not about the bike...
  • rick_chasey
    I also like the fact they're trying to do them hard because they didn't take the opportunity to 'fess up.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Woman and children being massacred in the world and everyone here is shooting their bolt to the news that Armstrong may or may not have doped.

It's boring it's gone on long enough and even with this charge they'll never be a conclusion.

Does this mean you accept he doped now?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    nweststeyn wrote:
    It's not about the bike...
    Lol, that's right it's about the syringe...
  • Spiny_Norman
    Spiny_Norman Posts: 128
    iainf72 wrote:
    What on Earth will it take for the mainstream cycling press to grow some balls with regards Armstrong and his cronies?

All of the CW journos I know certainly do have balls
    Which is more than can be said for Armstrong. :wink:

I get the feeling that 13th June 2012 won't go down as one of Bruyneel's better days.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    'Lance Armstrong' is still trending in the UK on twitter... that's pretty impressive.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gazzaputt wrote:

And what was your opinion on Contador. Did you put up the same defense.

Rhetorical questions.

I have 'Notify me when a reply is posted' unchecked.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Ah this is cracking me up
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    Why are l'equipe a mouthpiece for Armstrong too? http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... ent/291124
    But I thought that - according to Armstrong's script - 'The French' hate him. :lol:
  • exciting stuff

TBH, what he achieved is still impressive - he beat a load of dopers, whilst doped.

But it's about time the truth came out.
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    edit
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yay! Frenchie's here! Can you clear up whether or not that doctor on the charge sheet is still with Contador? Was he used just when AC was at Bruyneel's teams or at other times as well? Serious question btw... I'm interested in seeing who else in the current peleton may or may not get dragged into it. Similarly people keep mentioning the Schlecks (and training plans) along with this... which Doctor(s) are they and how/when and how close were they all? Looking for some genuine light here from more knowledgeable members... failing that some pictures of podium girls will have to do.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Chris Evans wanted to know if LA was going to lose his 7 olympic golds?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Chris Evans wanted to know if LA was going to lose his 7 olympic golds?

:D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    <FF mode>

ferrari041001.jpg

ferrarix-large.jpg

</FF mode>
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    mrushton wrote:
    What a week! Wiggins wins, the internet experts declare him the new Lance. Schleck sends in a sick-note then the old Lance pops up. The internet experts now get to chance to bring out the graphs and their cut and paste files. Somehow, Groundhog Day keeps springing to mind

Hee hee... where's your avatar mrushton! Very brave of you to turn up... I commend you sir! Let us Pro Race adicts have yet another moment of glory in the ongoing LA soap opera. You know he'll probably beat these charges as well, and you'll get your moment on here to gloat again don't you? The only thing that would improve my mood more is to find out that Moray Gubbible is a Rangers fan...

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It all comes out in the wash... Now Chris Evans is implicated too! 7 'Olympic Golds' my a**... he KNOWS.

chris-evans-bad-head-day.jpg

chris_evans_1237912c.jpg

chris-evans.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Massive indeed. I haven't had a chance to read the letter yet but it must be pretty damning as other than Cycling5280 or whatever he's called there haven't been any fanbois coming on here telling us he never failed a drug test blah, blah, blah. Even Gazzaputt's defence of LA only extended to "I don't care if he doped". Hopefully he will be proven guilty and the UCI will be forced to look at themselves but I doubt this will be fully resolved for years as no doubt LA will go through the whole court system and try to bully people into submission with law suits etc.

Much as I'd like to see this resolved conclusively one way or another I do worry for the future of the sport in terms of sponsorship. I'm sure there are plenty of sponsors who fully accept the fact that there is doping in the sport and aren't bothered but the big multi-nationals will want to distance themselves from scandal and it looks like there's likely to be contagion to teams that LA's ex-colleagues have moved to.