USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Still sore about Simoni, dg? :wink:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I'd like to believe Rubiera was clean when he was a workhorse for LA. I think most of US Postal was doping so is it possible Rubiera raced clean and still worked as hard as he did? Super nice guy...one of the nicest pros I've met.

Why on earth would one link niceness and doping? Or think any less of worker following a very well established and heavily enforced doping practice that was widely accepted in his industry*?

*Note: this logic does not apply to bankers as I'm bloody paying for it.

Strava is not Zen.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    We don't know till we hit some proper mountains. People are talking about US postal style ride on a 6km climb, when they would do it on 18km climbs.

The team performance on Sunday suggests probably not, given that Wiggins had to chase Evans down himself.

That's what I was thinking. As much as I know the comparisons might be lighthearted joshing, they don't quite strike me as a super team that will bury anybody who dares to cross them.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    No really, it was me asking you a straight question (which you still have nt answered). I know, I wrote it remember?

Anyway, over it now!

If we don't feed him will he go away do you think? Appears to have largely worked for Coroney and Cycling 2580...

I'm still here and don't worry. When the $shoot hits the fan with doping charges against UK Postal I'll be all over it. :)

I hope you're prepared for a long wait then. That Reuters journalist was right, it does appear the Sky doping rumours are being pushed through from across the pond. Presumably trying to deflect from the perilous state of their own favourite son.

HAHA...that's awesome that you think speculation about Wiggins being clean or not has something to do with trying to get the attention away from LA. Now that's a stretch and a bunch of BS. Anyone who has followed cycling can't help but be reminded of the US Postal team when they saw UK Postal drilling it last Saturday. BTW - I don't truly think Wiggins is doping.

Or equally Liquigas in this year's Giro.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    andyp wrote:
    Still sore about Simoni, dg? :wink:

Gilberto Simoni is a saint! Do you hear me?! A SAINT!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Luckao wrote:
    As somebody who never saw US Postal in their prime, are Sky really comparable to in terms of performance?

Relative to the rest of the peloton?

We don't know till we hit some proper mountains. People are talking about US postal style ride on a 6km climb, when they would do it on 18km climbs.

The team performance on Sunday suggests probably not, given that Wiggins had to chase Evans down himself.

Exactly. Vanendert on his own dropped as many riders on the Sunday as EBH, Rogers and Porte cobined managed to drop on the Saturday. Given the calibre of those riders, there is nothing extra-terrestrial about what they have done so far.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Luckao wrote:
    As somebody who never saw US Postal in their prime, are Sky really comparable to in terms of performance? I know they're currently dominating the GC, only it's not like they've been dictating the entire race for the last 10 days. They did rip the peloton apart on stage 7. It doesn't really cause me to see them as some sort of juggernaut. I see it as their top men being the best of a weaker field.

I remember the USpostaldiscovery tactics - imagine what sky did on stage 7 but repeated for 2 weeks throughout the alps and pyrenees. it was the way that USpostal repeatedly smashed the opposition and returned fresh the next day that was 'amazing'

so as you say, they've not repeatedly dominated which is the big difference between 'then' and 'now' hence why I think sky are clean fwiw
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    USPostal also used to get to the final climb with about 9 riders still left on the train and still set a high pace. I remember one year they got to Alp D'Huez and I think Beltran set such a high pace at the start LA couldn't even keep up
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    sherer wrote:
    USPostal also used to get to the final climb with about 9 riders still left on the train and still set a high pace. I remember one year they got to Alp D'Huez and I think Beltran set such a high pace at the start LA couldn't even keep up

Beltran and Heras in 2003 at the foot of the Alpe was just ridiculous.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I see Del Moral, Marti and Michele Ferrari have all been given life bans from cycling by USADA..just in last few hours announced

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-usps7102012
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Olive "oil"...that's awesome!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Who's going to coach Contador now?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

FF. :D

"ATTTTTACK"

etc.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    iainf72 wrote:

He just needs to find a new beef supplier.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:

:lol::lol: Look at Valv Piti..Bert might decide to stop "the oil" and other stuff which means many less wins and maybe Wiggo and Froome drop him in 2013
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    iainf72 wrote:

FF. :D

"ATTTTTACK"

etc.

Well "lightweight" is the current vogue.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pepe Marti probably
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    good news but we've seen with Ferrari and the CONI ban it means nothing. Any comments from anyone yet ?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2012
    So does this mean for these guys the deadline passed and they didn't say they'd defend or ask for a 5 day extension. Is this the reason the lifetime ban has now been issued??
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Awsome.

now the hog and lance.

COme on boys come to wada; come on here boys; here boys;

whos a good boy then, yes you are, you are,

Pats head and administers lethal dose of usada justice

first hog and then lance look up with big puppy eyes before making one last sigh and moving forever out of cycling.

only pat to cleanse after this.

Ave destroyed calves
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:
    So does this mean for these guys the dealine passed and they didn't say they'd defend or ask for a 5 day extension. Is this the reason the lifetime ban has now been issued??

Correct
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Pross wrote:
    So let me get this straight - you think race organisers like ASO should put more of their money back into the teams. Do you mean as prize money or just like the TV revenue for football rights getting split amongst clubs? If the latter you are expecting a commercial organisation to fund what is effectively an advertising campaign for various companies. Cycling is pretty much unique in that the teams are not based around a tangible place, they are just a mobile advertising hoarding. Why should ASO pay money to help the companies that sponsor teams? If the teams want the best riders in order to win races and gain publicity then it is up to them to pay what is required. There's plenty of people who would jump a the chance to earn 35,000 euros a year + a share of prize money. No-one is forcing these people to ride a bike for a living, if the wage is so bad they could always go and work in an office.

As for teams falling apart and losing sponsorship - perhaps the actions of certain riders and their teams together with the negative publicity they have bought are the problem there.

No, I am talking about events sharing the profit with the teams that make the event to ensure that the sport is healthy. It's foolish and old fashioned to think that there is no place for this in cycling. It's about the health of the sport and sharing more money to keep the teams strong ensures the health of the sport. If you want an example that comes closer then most sports look at F1. They share about 50% of the profit. Sure it comes from the body that runs the circuit but they also make the events pay, at an average of $29m last season or $561m total. Either model helps to make the health of teams closer to certainty then the current model of "sucks to be you."

The argument of no one is forcing people to ride a bike for a living is simple minded at best as an excuse to maintain status quo.

Without a doubt the doping does hurt sponsorship, but so does never knowing how things will work for a team, a few key injuries and the team wins nothing and the sponsor wants out due to no ProTour status. When Stapleton could not find a new sponsor for his team, the winningest of the last few years, it was not due to doping.
  • mfin
    windshield.jpg

http://s12.postimage.org/pl06pbkuz/windshield.jpg

...found this... PDF format too :)
  • mfin
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    So does this mean for these guys the dealine passed and they didn't say they'd defend or ask for a 5 day extension. Is this the reason the lifetime ban has now been issued??

Correct

Assumed so, ta.

Do you know if LA's rejected filing against usada yesterday, and the 20 days he gets to re-file has any bearing on delaying the USADA charges. IE. do we assume he's applied for 5 more days at the moment, or does he get the 20 he gets to refile his charges against USADA as against saying whether he will defend the case?

Little bit confusing on timescales/happenings now.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    So, Dr Ferrari now has two lifetime bans from cycling.
  • sherer
    mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Correct

Assumed so, ta.

Do you know if LA's rejected filing against usada yesterday, and the 20 days he gets to re-file has any bearing on delaying the USADA charges. IE. do we assume he's applied for 5 more days at the moment, or does he get the 20 he gets to refile his charges against USADA as against saying whether he will defend the case?

Little bit confusing on timescales/happenings now.

As USADA said they are taking no notice of the court case i'm assume he has 5 days although I thought it was Saturday they had to come back on this one
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    I found Tygarts comments on the bans to be pretty amusing and pretty much backed up what I have said about him and USADA. No further comment needed by me on that.
  • mfin
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    I found Tygarts comments on the bans to be pretty amusing.

+1 ...its all quite enjoyable, you're not the only one who's happy to see it all happening.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    So, Dr Ferrari now has two lifetime bans from cycling.
    Just in case the Buddhists are right.
    Twitter: @RichN95